Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
Fuuucccccck. An old friend of mine just told me he has a cab of RASS and the price isn’t horrible for it being aged and already in the US.

Why must I have a mortgage :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Well fellas I did it, I read the entire old thread. I feel like Connor MacLeod after killing the Kurgan.

Smoked a LAdC EE and it was good but I think I like the original and Mi Amor better. I had trouble picking flavors out other than it was a very enjoyable smoke.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

oh wow, this is amazing

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
First order of cubans arrived, Montecristo No. 2 and No. 4. I smoked a 2 immediately because I have no chill. Started off with tangy pepper, the middle was graham crackery, and the end is more nutty. A very good cigar, reminds me a lot of the DPG Black maybe if I had to compare it to a domestic.

March 19 on the No. 4s and December 19 on the No. 2s.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 9, 2020

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Lyon posted:

First order of cubans arrived, Montecristo No. 2 and No. 4. I smoked a 2 immediately because I have no chill. Started off with tangy pepper, the middle was graham crackery, and the end is more nutty. A very good cigar, reminds me a lot of the DPG Black maybe if I had to compare it to a domestic.

Where from? Did you go singles/sampler or whole box? How long did they take to arrive?

I'm looking into placing my first international order and just looking for feedback. NFM gave me some awesome tips but I'm eager to hear from a Habana newbie as well

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Maksimus54 posted:

Where from? Did you go singles/sampler or whole box? How long did they take to arrive?

I'm looking into placing my first international order and just looking for feedback. NFM gave me some awesome tips but I'm eager to hear from a Habana newbie as well

I got a box of ten of each from iHavanas. I ordered on August 24th, they shipped the 28th, and arrived today. I have orders in at COH, CigarTerminal, and Friends of Habanos as well to see what the shipping times look like.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Seventh Arrow posted:

Three Nuns is pretty spicy. As an added bonus, it's one of the tobaccos CS Lewis used to smoke.

Hell yeah, I've got it pulled up! Thanks!

Ophidian posted:

Fuuucccccck. An old friend of mine just told me he has a cab of RASS and the price isn’t horrible for it being aged and already in the US.

Why must I have a mortgage :(

Holy moly

Lyon posted:

Well fellas I did it, I read the entire old thread. I feel like Connor MacLeod after killing the Kurgan.

:discourse:

Lyon posted:

I got a box of ten of each from iHavanas. I ordered on August 24th, they shipped the 28th, and arrived today. I have orders in at COH, CigarTerminal, and Friends of Habanos as well to see what the shipping times look like.

Hell yeah those look great!

My order from CA is showing "releasing to shipping" and I want them nowwwwwwwwwww.

I've had to make myself not look around. I've got a camping trip dining up and I need to buy a bunch of gear that I used to have but lost over time. Really excited to get a few nights in before it totally freezes over here, though! The smokes selection is gonna be fun to figure out.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Ok sold. Built a small order from FoH to get me a couple staples I see listed here. PLPC and RASS. I hope to ring out 2020 with some kind of style

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu No. 5 are back up on CA with 5 minutes to go. 50 cab for $135: https://www.cigarauctioneer.com/tatuaje-havana-vi-verocu-no.-5-cigars/item-33707?auctionnum=4458627

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Maksimus54 posted:

Ok sold. Built a small order from FoH to get me a couple staples I see listed here. PLPC and RASS. I hope to ring out 2020 with some kind of style

One thing is that FOH has easily the longest stated shipping time of all the places I’ve looked at. No idea what it will be in reality but just to make you aware.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Lyon posted:

One thing is that FOH has easily the longest stated shipping time of all the places I’ve looked at. No idea what it will be in reality but just to make you aware.

I’ve had two shipments from them. One took 6 weeks the other took over a year.

E: I’ll never order from them again.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Ophidian posted:

I’ve had two shipments from them. One took 6 weeks the other took over a year.

E: I’ll never order from them again.

That's not the ringing endorsement I'd seen earlier. Oh well, if I get anxious I'll order elsewhere and have a pleasant surprise several months

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
The cigar quality is top notch but my shipping experiences over 8 years ago turned me off from trying ever again.

E: they may have gotten better but I never wanted to find out personally.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I am a weak man and ordered a box of H Upmann Regalias from iHavanas. I'm gonna have to get that secondary humidor seasoned up

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hell yeah the Regalias rule!

I didn't know about the shipping times, I generally recommend FoH and if I had known that they could be so bad, I'd not have done so, sorry guys. I hope your orders make it safely - mine have and hopefully that'll spread to yours.

Turns out you need to call CA on your first order from them which is nice security wise I guess.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I have no historical issues with them obviously but their stated shipping times are definitely the worst of the sites that have been recommended. I think it’s mostly just with fewer flights connecting mail between the US and Australia. I put an order in with them because I wanted to see how it works out and if it’s really as long as they’ve stated or if they’re being conservative.

I didn’t need to call CigarAuctioneer for my first order but it was probably a five pack or two, I wonder if your order is over a certain dollar value if they make you do that. The best feature of CA is that you can see future auctions and that anything you save to your lot watch will include the future auctions so you don’t have to look through every lot every week.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, I think if your first order is sufficiently large they require a call. My first order with them was a couple hundred bucks, but verifying it by phone was pretty painless and it shipped the next day.

Smoked a regular Flor de las Antillas toro this evening to celebrate the coming of the end of days. It had been a while, and it remains an excellent smoke. Amazing how not sweet it was, I feel like a lot of the other cigars I've had have some brown sugar or syrup or custard flavor somewhere in there, and this was just rangy barnyard, hay, leather, and spice. Really delightful smoke.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
NFM no apologies necessary. FOH had the shipping delays clearly spelled out, I just missed it in my excitement to order quickly.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Maksimus54 posted:

NFM no apologies necessary. FOH had the shipping delays clearly spelled out, I just missed it in my excitement to order quickly.

Did you order on the 24:24 or just from the store? The 24:24 is a pretty clever sales idea.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Lyon posted:

The best feature of CA is that you can see future auctions and that anything you save to your lot watch will include the future auctions so you don’t have to look through every lot every week.

Oh hell yeah, that's awesome. I'm gonna keep a hell of a list on there!

Glad the FoH shipping was stated explicitly, I was sweating for a second. Sorry that it's still easily missable.

I'm in the one-day shipping zone for CA and I'm really excited to get these Sapphires in. The Verocru are great also, but getting a deal on a headline blend from one of my favorite marcas is a fun experience. Can't wait to try out the others. I think the Emerald is going to be my next try.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Does anyone have any info or opinion on Jake Wyatt Cigars? My B&M just got a bunch in and it says they're the only retailer in PA to carry them. I've never heard about them but speaking of gimmicks...

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Smoked a Monte No.2 last night, and after aging for about 3 years now still... meh. This whole box has been bland and disappointing. Not sure if I got a bad box or of the Monte just isn't for me. I've got 2 left and I think I'm going to try to forget them and come back at some random years later.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Also the FOH shipping times may be extremely conservative, I just got a notification that my order has made it to the US. I ordered from them on August 31, shipped September 7, and it’s landed in LA today so assuming customs doesn’t take too long it may be a longer wait from order to shipping than the actual transit.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Smoked a Monte No.2 last night, and after aging for about 3 years now still... meh. This whole box has been bland and disappointing. Not sure if I got a bad box or of the Monte just isn't for me. I've got 2 left and I think I'm going to try to forget them and come back at some random years later.

Monte 2 is the most boring Monte.

Monte 3/4 are where it’s at.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I opted for tea over coffee this morning with my Flor de las Antillas Robusto and that was a pro move.

Pu'er tea is double fermented black tea and has great malty flavor and caffeine. Doesn't hurt that you can re-steep a cup 2-3 times.

I've got some Peterson Night Cap, pipe cleaners, and replacement IM Corona flints coming today, hopefully the Verocru and Sapphires tomorrow!

Trying to find another pipe to bring camping with me, preferably something that can sit on its own and under $100. If you have a recommendation, I'd love to hear it! SmokingPipes.com has been very good to me so fast.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

Trying to find another pipe to bring camping with me, preferably something that can sit on its own and under $100. If you have a recommendation, I'd love to hear it! SmokingPipes.com has been very good to me so fast.

You can't beat something like this Nording for $40: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Nording/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=384932

If you want something more traditional I'd probably with a Rossi or Savenelli at that price. Rossi pipes are Savenellis more affordable line, but are still pretty great quality. Most stitters are going to be found under the Poker shape: https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/the-pipe-locator.cfm?sortOpt=priceDesc&displayNum=72&shape=15&price=-50%2C50%2C75%2C100&page=1

I've got a Moonshine Patriot that I love. It obviously sits perfectly well, but is still light enough to clench. However, it's going to run you about $150. The weights are listed on the site though so you can use that as a barometer if clenching matters to you at all.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
What’s a decent soft flame butane lighter?

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I have this one (I need to get a drat flint for it)

https://www.cigarmanor.com/collections/im-corona-lighter/products/im-corona-double-corona-barley-chrome-vertical-lines-gold-wheel

I paid significantly less than that

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

corncob corncob corncob CORNCOB

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

You can't beat something like this Nording for $40: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Nording/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=384932

If you want something more traditional I'd probably with a Rossi or Savenelli at that price. Rossi pipes are Savenellis more affordable line, but are still pretty great quality. Most stitters are going to be found under the Poker shape: https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/the-pipe-locator.cfm?sortOpt=priceDesc&displayNum=72&shape=15&price=-50%2C50%2C75%2C100&page=1

I've got a Moonshine Patriot that I love. It obviously sits perfectly well, but is still light enough to clench. However, it's going to run you about $150. The weights are listed on the site though so you can use that as a barometer if clenching matters to you at all.

Hell yeah, thank you so much!

Lyon posted:

My partner and I own two IM Corona Old Boy lighters and we've already decided the patterns for our third and fourth ones :shepspends:

They're really amazing lighters, though. Had my current one for 3-4 years now. I just got the same brand flint in today and it's a night at day difference between Zippo flints.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Man I don't think I'm buying that for retail. Where is the cheap knock off that will not work after a couple of months?

NewFatMike posted:

Hell yeah, thank you so much!

My partner and I own two IM Corona Old Boy lighters and we've already decided the patterns for our third and fourth ones :shepspends:

They're really amazing lighters, though. Had my current one for 3-4 years now. I just got the same brand flint in today and it's a night at day difference between Zippo flints.

drat all these baller lighters up here.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 11, 2020

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Lyon posted:

Man I don't think I'm buying that for retail. Where is the cheap knock off that will not work after a couple of months?

drat all these baller lighters up here.

The IM CORONA is the “cheap knock off” of the DuPont.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Carrying on pipe chat: this Peterson's Night Cap is loving DELICIOUS. Super excited to check out that Three Nuns pretty soon, too.

That Nording is staying on the list. Currently my front runers are:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Chacom/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=376764

and

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Chacom/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=384159

That first one definitely sits, and I like the colors on both. I'm not confident in the second one's sitting ability but drat do I like the thing's whole steeze.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I really need to get a decent lighter. Ive been using matches for awhile and it’s starting to get windy out these days, sometimes I go through 4-5 of them before I get one that burns past the sulfur.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’ve found that for outside nothing beats a cheap butane torch and having several of them.

I’m currently using a grill lighter because I haven’t bothered to get butane for my Xikar table top lighter.

I’m also using a knife to cut my cigars for the same reason (haven’t bothered to get a new cutter)

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’ve been finding torches annoying but soft flame probably won’t be any better. I have two small torches and a table lighter, all very cheap.

Smoked a My Father La Gran Oferta earlier today which was decent/good, didn’t wow me but was fine. My neighbor is having some cigar friends over so I’m about to go chill with them for a bit and have a second cigar. I’ve been cutting down and I’ll probably just smoke a Connecticut or something simple.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Lyon posted:

Xikar makes a pipe lighter that’s actually pretty stout. Runs about $70.

Peterson/Kiribi makes an IM Corona Old Boy style lighter for $80-150.

Not a lot of good, cheap options. A shitload of matches works too.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The smoke from the wildfires around here is so bad I can't go outside and smoke, but it's also stressing me out which makes me want to smoke even more.

Like Sisyphus I am bound to hell.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Kenning posted:

The smoke from the wildfires around here is so bad I can't go outside and smoke, but it's also stressing me out which makes me want to smoke even more.

Like Sisyphus I am bound to hell.

I was going to post something very similar. Something about the air quality being too hazardous to go outside to smoke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm moments away from taking an exacto-knife to my N95 mask, fitting a cigar in there, and sealing it with tape.