Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
You’re short by 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nuh-uh! You're short by 14.
And an M, i, and G.
And with an excessive F.

Yeah, that didn't really work as a comeback, but the F-5 module does have the best skin.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Tippis posted:

Nuh-uh! You're short by 14.
And an M, i, and G.
And with an excessive F.

So MiG... 19?
which is actually correct, the Farmer is so underrated it's criminal

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
No, the MiG-28, armed with an American Civil War gatling gun.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Also the MiG-19 module is pretty horrible, and made by the… not best third party developer.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Seriously, the F-5 is the best solo plane for just joy of flight joyrides. But also it’s kinda sorta bad in DCS because the way you aim the heaters is buckwild compared to every other fighter and even Harriers.

Sad I missed the red air F-5 mission. Vaha kept bait and switching me then sent tacviews of Burno et al clowning a formation in F-5s after the fact.

Revolver cannons are cool as gently caress if only because of the space saving.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

No, the MiG-28, armed with an American Civil War gatling gun.

Da, MiG-19. No to all bad-pointy -28 :colbert:
-15, good too.
-21... is good.

Ok I like the revolver cannons.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 12, 2020

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So how do most people play DCS?

Do most people buy the mission packs available and play those over and over?
Do most people open up the mission editor, slap some pieces on the board, pick a loadout, and go to town?
Is there an online community / level database somewhere where people upload their own hand crafted missions or campaigns and share them?

So far I've been having fun just doing training and the instant action scenarios, and generally just wooshing around the contryside in my fancy jet getting familiar with all the buttons and tools available, but I'm starting to get curious about actually doing something with it.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Sad I missed the red air F-5 mission. Vaha kept bait and switching me then sent tacviews of Burno et al clowning a formation in F-5s after the fact.

That mission was so much fun for redfor. We actually ran it twice: the first time around we rushed the Blue AWACS and a ship blue needed to complete the mission before they managed to take off. The second time we let them take off and spent the time weaving in and around the mountains at Khasab plugging anyone who tried to get close with a heater. We eventually drew the CAP out of position and strafed their helicopters down. Between that and the mountains foiling any BVR advantage the blues had, we managed to force a protracted fight that continued for several hours before the blues managed to get organized enough to actually do a coordinated push, at which point most of the players had to log off. I would love to see more PVP missions, despite the issues observed that night, if only because human opponents are much more interesting than AIs (such as that braindead formation of F-5s that left itself get clowned).

GreatGreen posted:

Do most people open up the mission editor, slap some pieces on the board, pick a loadout, and go to town?
Is there an online community / level database somewhere where people upload their own hand crafted missions or campaigns and share them?

So far I've been having fun just doing training and the instant action scenarios, and generally just wooshing around the contryside in my fancy jet getting familiar with all the buttons and tools available, but I'm starting to get curious about actually doing something with it.

I don't know about most people, but Goons run a coop mission every Saturday, and there's a fair number of us who make content to keep those missions running. That's probably the most fun experience, since you're actually working with a real human flight instead of in a vacuum like you would with most other experiences.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mlmp08 posted:

Seriously, the F-5 is the best solo plane for just joy of flight joyrides. But also it’s kinda sorta bad in DCS because the way you aim the heaters is buckwild compared to every other fighter and even Harriers.

Revolver cannons are cool as gently caress if only because of the space saving.

I can't drop bombs in it to literally save my life though lol.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

skooma512 posted:

I can't drop bombs in it to literally save my life though lol.

Snake-eyes, 120 mil manual sight depression, fly over at 400kts / 500ft. Pickle when thing is on thing(ish). :haw:

Sometimes you even manage to get out of the blast radius!

Tippis fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 12, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The best use of a redfor F-5 I’ve seen in live fly exercises was a redfor F-5 executing an unobserved entry into a 4-ship of SEAD aircraft in a valley, killing all four of them in no time (simulated 2xIR, 2xSAR loadout, but one of the kills was guns).

Pops out of canyon as the blues go home, eats poo poo from an AMRAAM fired by a skittish redfor F-18C.

That F-5 pilot got a keg that night paid for by the F-18 pilot. Rule is you have to deliver the keg personally, but you’re not allowed to partake if it’s a frat.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

It's always a hornet driver

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

First: Join the Discord.

As BurntCornMuffin mentioned, we fly a weekly mission already, but we also have a training server the rest of the week, and fly multiplayer missions on Hoggit throughout.

I do fly a lot of missions I make myself, and I know a few of us have some of the campaigns, too.

Just depends on what you want, really.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Faffel posted:

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

BurntCornMuffin posted:

That mission was so much fun for redfor. We actually ran it twice: the first time around we rushed the Blue AWACS and a ship blue needed to complete the mission before they managed to take off. The second time we let them take off and spent the time weaving in and around the mountains at Khasab plugging anyone who tried to get close with a heater. We eventually drew the CAP out of position and strafed their helicopters down. Between that and the mountains foiling any BVR advantage the blues had, we managed to force a protracted fight that continued for several hours before the blues managed to get organized enough to actually do a coordinated push, at which point most of the players had to log off. I would love to see more PVP missions, despite the issues observed that night, if only because human opponents are much more interesting than AIs (such as that braindead formation of F-5s that left itself get clowned).

alternative helicopter pilot point of view on it.
first time the tanker sunk before we got close to it.
second time tanker sunk when helicopter blade chipped the side of tanker.

that mission requires tons of work before it can be ran again. Including several more tankers in case one of em sinks due to dcs physics. and making helicopters fly less over ocean.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

BurntCornMuffin posted:

That mission was so much fun for redfor. We actually ran it twice: the first time around we rushed the Blue AWACS and a ship blue needed to complete the mission before they managed to take off. The second time we let them take off and spent the time weaving in and around the mountains at Khasab plugging anyone who tried to get close with a heater. We eventually drew the CAP out of position and strafed their helicopters down. Between that and the mountains foiling any BVR advantage the blues had, we managed to force a protracted fight that continued for several hours before the blues managed to get organized enough to actually do a coordinated push, at which point most of the players had to log off. I would love to see more PVP missions, despite the issues observed that night, if only because human opponents are much more interesting than AIs (such as that braindead formation of F-5s that left itself get clowned)..

Admiral Van Ripper account spotted

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Faffel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N4ECfhffcA

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tippis posted:

Snake-eyes, 120 mil manual sight depression, fly over at 400kts / 500ft. Pickle when thing is on thing(ish). :haw:

Sometimes you even manage to get out of the blast radius!

Low level Snakeeye delivery in the F-5 is some really pure fun. Its just so raw and manual compared to most of the other DCS jets.

This also ties into my extreme desire for a proper pre-Gulf War strike aircraft. F-111, A-6E, Tornado GR-1, F-105, SU-24. Anything.

HEATBLUR PLEASE BUILD AN A-6 OR F-111

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

MrYenko posted:

HEATBLUR PLEASE BUILD AN A-6 OR F-111

ED is proud to announce new forthcoming module, PZL-106 Kruk

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Bubbacub posted:

Echo Papa is that you??

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I don't know about most people, but Goons run a coop mission every Saturday, and there's a fair number of us who make content to keep those missions running. That's probably the most fun experience, since you're actually working with a real human flight instead of in a vacuum like you would with most other experiences.

This was a great mission for fixed wing even if bluefor lost. I got an absurd number of A2A kills. I think I landed to re-arm 3 times. Tookoff with HARMs, landed to pick up 120s, shot all of those, landed for more 120s, then landed again to pick up LGBs, then died to a rapier. Led to this beautiful gif:

Bonus gif of me murdering Burnt who successfully prevented me from stopping the other two redfor from killing the choppers:

The tragedy of that mission is that it was NOT fun at all for the chopper pilots, who died immediately and were understandably pissed at the amount of time wasted.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

uwaeve posted:

Echo Papa is that you??

Bubbacub posted:

I would 100% enjoy a detailed crop dusting “study sim.” Cover that field without wasting pesticides or fuel. More interesting than dropping bombs, let’s be honest!

EDIT: aerial firefighting might be the only thing cooler. Waiting for DCS: CL-415

Tetraptous fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 13, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What about an Agent Orange dlc?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
What map would you guys recommend as a 1st purchased map for DCS? Persian Gulf or the new Syria map?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

What map would you guys recommend as a 1st purchased map for DCS? Persian Gulf or the new Syria map?

Persian Gulf… almost unfortunately.
Syria is ultimately a better map and over time, more will transition to it, but for now, it just doesn't have the player base of PG.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

GreatGreen posted:

Persian Gulf for sure. Although I would try and wait for a sale. They tend to happen often enough that I wouldn't buy it full price.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Popete posted:

What about an Agent Orange dlc?

How about a dlc of Hague tribunal for war crimes.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

How about a dlc of Hague tribunal for war crimes.

If you select BluFor you automatically win

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Popete posted:

If you select BluFor you automatically win

What, like BluFor can't be conv... oh.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Next week's mission sign-up is go!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/

It's a Combat Search And Rescue (CSAR) op.

An F-15E Strike Eagle has been downed in Iran. Pararescue is on the way, but they need the area to be clear. The SAM sites responsible for the incident are also being targeted, both to clear the way for the CSAR op and as retribution.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Why'd the f-15 violate iranian airspace?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Why'd the f-15 violate iranian airspace?

To get to the other side. Because that's just what F-15s do.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Next week's mission sign-up is go!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/

It's a Combat Search And Rescue (CSAR) op.

An F-15E Strike Eagle has been downed in Iran. Pararescue is on the way, but they need the area to be clear. The SAM sites responsible for the incident are also being targeted, both to clear the way for the CSAR op and as retribution.

Still some slots open, and as always, we'll try to accomodate if you want to fly but don't have any of the open aircraft.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Details on the A10 II update.

They’re charging current A10C owners... :10bux:

That’s, actually a reasonable price? The whole module is 80 but I was think 20 minimum.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I might actually need to start learning that plane. It's the module I've paid for that I haven't used yet.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

$10 is suspiciously fair of them. What's the catch? Is it for a limited time?

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Sankis posted:

limited time and normal cost is 80$

Ichbinuber
Feb 3, 2014

Sankis posted:

For the first month it is $10, then $20 for the following month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Dark Off posted:

limited time and normal cost is 80$

*if you don't already own the unit, otherwise upgrade cost without discount is $20