Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

To think it all could have been avoided if he posted in the gear thread and not the music one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

CPL593H posted:

I can't speak for everyone but I welcome you to post here. Talk about records. Tell us what kind of music you like. But do you really not understand why everyone started poking fun at you?

I can certainly understand why *some* people would "poke fun". If there's a thread just for gear I must have missed it. I looked, but I suppose not hard enough. Sorry for that.

As for records/music, I've actually inherited a few hundred records from my grandfather. I've yet to go through them all so there could be anything in there but I know he liked a lot of old jazz, stuff like Sinatra and famous people singing Christmas music, lol. So likely a decent amount of that stuff in there.

As far as myself, I like things across most genres (Probably Rock, Alternative and Electronica/Techno the most). I wouldn't mind exploring stuff like jazz, blues and classical more deeply. My interest to get started was in collecting more specialized stuff tho that I never imagined would make it onto a record (your video game soundtracks, anime and the like.) Partly for the art and nostalgia but there is some neat stuff to listen to out there.

For my first pickups (still waiting for them to arrive) I have MOTHER 1/2, The Hollow Knight stuff, and that Snake Rattle & Roll and Chip Tanaka LPs I saw someone post last page back. Haven't seen much on the anime side of things that interests me yet except I grabbed both FLCL albums and pre-ordered Cowboy Bebop.

I'm noticing a lot of great stuff out there and it all seems to sell out super fast. Kinda bummed that I didn't get started sooner. How often do they re-press things in general for this limited run stuff?

Majin fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 11, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

There’s a vinyl thread in IYG. They would probably be more into discussing hardware stuff. This thread is for colored vinyl video game soundtracks.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252&perpage=40&noseen=1

Yeah in case it needs said, you’re welcome to post ITT. No one is gatekeeping. Your post just came off as “I’m rich, bitch” so everyone shat on you.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Thanks for the link - it wasn’t my intention to brag. Apologies.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Majin posted:

I'm noticing a lot of great stuff out there and it all seems to sell out super fast. Kinda bummed that I didn't get started sooner. How often do they re-press things in general for this limited run stuff?

It depends on what the thing is. A big thing now, especially with the labels who do stuff like video game soundtracks or film scores, is artificial scarcity. Any limited press stuff goes immediately if it's a soundtrack for any sort of "nerd" things because of fomo from all the dickheads who resell poo poo for outrageous markups. There's really no way to tell what will be reissued and what won't and then if the reissue is also a limited pressing. A lot of times it's a few years before any sort of reissue like what happened with the score album for The Thing or Scott Pilgrim vs the World. For a while people were paying a hundred bucks for either of those and then they suddenly became available again.

So what I usually tell people just getting into record collecting is to run screaming into the night and never look back. It's too late for me.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
dunno who's interested but 5 Susumu Hirasawa/P-Model albums are coming to vinyl

http://amass.jp/138965/

RIP my bank account

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Alright let's stop making GBS threads on this dude with the ridiculous set up. You like video game vinyl? Get ready to have to start using Facebook and subs like https://www.reddit.com/r/VGMVINYL4ALL/

Enjoy your new pain the rear end.

I got some new future funk in today.

Really nice presentation, I'll definitely be ordering more from them in the future.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Neon City has some really good stuff, I have a few things from them and I have been happy with every purchase.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I actually do own a single video game soundtrack. It's the score from Far Cry: Blood Dragon.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

I actually do own a single video game soundtrack. It's the score from Far Cry: Blood Dragon.

I have the Katamari Damacy soundtrack.

It's glorious.

And the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night soundtrack...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

IG-88 posted:

Alright let's stop making GBS threads on this dude with the ridiculous set up. You like video game vinyl? Get ready to have to start using Facebook and subs like https://www.reddit.com/r/VGMVINYL4ALL/

Enjoy your new pain the rear end.

I got some new future funk in today.

Really nice presentation, I'll definitely be ordering more from them in the future.

My inner Henry Rollins is screaming at this picture

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Cemetry Gator posted:

I have the Katamari Damacy soundtrack.

It's glorious.

And the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night soundtrack...

I've got the Banjo-Kazooie soundtrack, signed by Grant Kirkhope! The packaging got a tiny bit beat up since I had to take it all the way to NYC to get it signed, but I don't think I'll ever sell it so who cares really.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
btw anyone who grabbed that Presidents of the United States of America record - it's $199 on eBay right now (but with free shipping!) so uh, congrats???

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

You absolute monster.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

JAMOOOL posted:

btw anyone who grabbed that Presidents of the United States of America record - it's $199 on eBay right now (but with free shipping!) so uh, congrats???

what, the first album pressing from last year?

that may make it the most expensive record I own

it sounds nice, I will say.

I probably should put my whole collection into discogs and see what the real most expensive piece is, but ugh, effort

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

hexwren posted:

I probably should put my whole collection into discogs and see what the real most expensive piece is, but ugh, effort
The Discogs app has a barcode scanner. doesn't help with the pre-barcode records of course, but it cuts the time considerably.

I'm currently all over my Discogs page looking for the most expensive stuff on the off-chance I have to pack my bags and evacuate Portland. Gotta grab all the poo poo that sells. It's really sad (I don't have any interest in flipping any of my possessions, records or otherwise), but sorting and categorizing is my jam, yo.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 12, 2020

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

hexwren posted:

I did this only because I already barcode scanned a bunch of my CDs through the app. Last I checked my most expensive record is The Sword - Conquest of Kingdoms at $50 or so. My most expensive 45 is more interesting as I don't quite remember what lot of thrift store garbage I got it in. Discogs link and a YouTube of the A side.

Came close to being cut up for art.

Also video game soundtracks: sure glad I got a copy of the Shantae GBC ost ordered before the mad preorder rush.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Took me a second lol

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The most expensive record I had on Discogs for the longest time was a rush album

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

The Discogs app has a barcode scanner. doesn't help with the pre-barcode records of course, but it cuts the time considerably.

I'm currently all over my Discogs page looking for the most expensive stuff on the off-chance I have to pack my bags and evacuate Portland. Gotta grab all the poo poo that sells. It's really sad (I don't have any interest in flipping any of my possessions, records or otherwise), but sorting and categorizing poo poo is my jam, yo.

Dang. I'm way out by the airport so as of now I'm not too worried about an evac. But hey! This is 2020! Any and all lovely things are possible! I don't think I would take any music anyway. If 25 years of collecting burns there is no way I am starting over. They are entered in Discogs and that list would go straight to the insurance company. Stay safe out there.

As far as entering Discogs. Get the phone app. Grab a stack of 20ish records. Scan or enter the first one. Listen to it while you scan your stack. Repeat if you want or do 20 more the next day. I did this for a week or so and got about 800 entered. Now I enter them in as soon as I squire them.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

sporklift posted:

Now I enter them in as soon as I squire them.

What do you do when you knight them?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

sporklift posted:

Dang. I'm way out by the airport so as of now I'm not too worried about an evac. But hey! This is 2020! Any and all lovely things are possible! I don't think I would take any music anyway.
I'm about 12 miles out from Clackamas County so I'm kind of on edge, even if they say the fires are moving in the opposite direction. I'm definitely in a "overreacting is probably a good idea just in case" head space. It's pure survival mode when it comes to picking things - less sentiment, more keeping me afloat in a worst case scenario.

I just don't wanna take down all these posters and pack them, 'cause it would be a pain in the rear end to re-frame everything.

Stay safe, my dude.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Oh poo poo, stay safe hellzone people.

If we're doing the "most valuable records thing", I have almost every Vault thing so I'm guessing it's one of those because people pay hundreds of dollars for those for some reason. I also have the MoFi Sea Changes. For 7" records I'm not sure because I have all that Vault poo poo there. The only Vault packages I've ever sold were Pearl Jam because I don't care about them, the Consolers of the Lonely one because I didn't need to own a 60 dollar copy of any album I've had for ten years just because the cover is shiny in places, and Trout Mask Replica because I needed the money and I knew they'd probably just do a regular black vinyl release and I already have some previous reissue. But non-TMR 7" poo poo probably my copy of the Walker Bros Shutout EP and/or the Green Slime single which isn't even a higher grade copy (still one of my gems and not terrible or anything). There are very few LPs I've paid high premiums on I just bought all kinds of poo poo at retail (or less) prices when nobody gave a poo poo.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BigFactory posted:

The most expensive record I had on Discogs for the longest time was a rush album

The Cardinals '67 might be mine. I thought I might have a shot with a Greek pressing of a Jon and Vangelis album, but nope.

I have a bootleg Doors 8-track that might be worth a little bit, but Discogs is scared to even list how many people might even be interested in it. I'm surprised they even allow the listing still.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Oh poo poo, stay safe hellzone people.
If I have to evacuate I've already have a place staked out with friends in Utah. Safe, yet oh so Mormon.

My best friend swears by SLC record stores though. They stock up on everything and no one buys the weird poo poo.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caligulamprey posted:

If I have to evacuate I've already have a place staked out with friends in Utah. Safe, yet oh so Mormon.

My best friend swears by SLC record stores though. They stock up on everything and no one buys the weird poo poo.

I had a buddy from SLC and he says it rules. 15 minutes from every kind of nature you can want and cool people if you know where to look. I went once in the 90s and it felt like being in the twilight zone, but I was just there for one night.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
UPDATE FROM JUNE 22 --

pwn posted:

Oh hey weird question/request: I can’t recall if anyone here is from Britain, or the UK, but I have a Belle and Sebastian print ordered from Germany right before Germany stopped sending parcels to the US back in April, and me and the seller are waiting to see if Deutschepost starts shipping to the US again. They do however mail to the UK, and the UK mails to the US. So is anyone here from the UK and loves extra hassle?

pwn posted:

Yeah we had discussed the premium service, and it’s $60... that’s what the damned print cost.

:sigh:

A couple weeks after this, I messaged the seller and said that he should give me his PayPal address because I was gonna send him $60 for premium shipping. He felt bad about it and offered a to include second print of my choice of up to $60 value. After scouring the entire site and looking at every print available, I made my selection, sent the payment, and within a few days, July 14, DHL took possession of the parcel in Germany. It left their shores one week later, July 21. And then nothing

For the next seven weeks, it sat somewhere. Origin Post is Preparing Shipment. Probably customs. Maybe backlogged at the USPS. But then Friday it magically appeared in St Paul, and was delivered yesterday, Saturday September 12th, 2 months after being posted a second time and 5 months after originally placing the order.

Never seen a square poster tube before, pretty neat!

I had a small handbill repro of this, but now I have the real thing :smug:

A few detail shots

And the bonus print :monocle:

I'm not a QotSA fan, but the print looks amazing.

You can see a few more images in the Imgur album. Best viewed on a desktop, as Imgur has made mobile viewing all but nonfunctional.

I'm so happy that this had a happy ending. That dude Gejo is legit. Please don't hesitate to give him your business*. The majority of his stock seems to be from the mid-2000s, and is majority screenprints, though there are exceptions. I'm fairly certain it's a one-man operation, and he was incredibly polite, frank, and honourable throughout the entire 5 months of this nightmare**. Now I just have to get them framed.

*AFTER this whole thing has settled down, if you're in the USA at least. According to Deutsche post, you can (or will, starting on the 15th) send parcels to the US without premium again, but don't be surprised if things are held up on our end, as we are now a developing country.

**not really a nightmare.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If you decide you want to sell that QOTSA poster I would def be interested. Good haul!

pwn
May 27, 2004

He has another one in stock, so if you feel up for the challenge and the waiting, go for it :tipshat:

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Have a powered speaker that I use with a bluetooth preamp for when I want to stream music. Otherwise have an old (but nice!) receiver that I use passive speakers with for when I listen to vinyl.

Someone in my household accidentally connected the powered speaker to the receiver, causing a blowout. Now I get to download schematics from the 1970s as I figure out which capacator blew (and hoping I can solder a new one back without making things worse).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Tortilla Maker posted:

Have a powered speaker that I use with a bluetooth preamp for when I want to stream music. Otherwise have an old (but nice!) receiver that I use passive speakers with for when I listen to vinyl.

Someone in my household accidentally connected the powered speaker to the receiver, causing a blowout. Now I get to download schematics from the 1970s as I figure out which capacator blew (and hoping I can solder a new one back without making things worse).

Post in the Vintage stereo thread in the electronics forum. There’s a guy there who’s super knowledgeable

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Oh cool! I have a Decemberists poster from this guy, he's got a neat style. I'll try to post it later if anyone's interested.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

There’s beef goin down on the Dead Presidents Soundtrack promo selling page:

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/1...um=pm&ev=wh_new

For posterity if it gets deleted

pwn
May 27, 2004

no broccoli please posted:

Oh cool! I have a Decemberists poster from this guy, he's got a neat style. I'll try to post it later if anyone's interested.

H*ck yeah i’m interested. MMM is the real poo poo. He uses (used?) that mustachioed dude a lot in his gig posters. This one is 6? 7? colours and some halftones, it’s insane.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
been listening to my albums alphabetically for a bit and woke up this morning to realize i have a copy of tubular bells. you gotta love it folks

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

H*ck yeah i’m interested. MMM is the real poo poo. He uses (used?) that mustachioed dude a lot in his gig posters. This one is 6? 7? colours and some halftones, it’s insane.

I saw "MMM" and assumed you were talking about Metal Machine Music.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Mail call.

Caravan Palace is me doing some early Christmas shopping for the wife, who has inexplicably been listening to French swing electro dance music lately. I'm gonna have to import some Deluxe from Europe but thankfully this one had a US pressing.

Here's my Fallout record among some kindred spirits already in my collection:

Also the VMP Fishscale is very, very pretty:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

You could say I like Between the Buried and Me.

if only the rsd exclusive /900 pressing of their cover album wasn't $400, gently caress

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

kumba posted:

You could say I like Between the Buried and Me.

Have you got the spacesuit that came with Parallax II?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I wish, I didn't start collecting until relatively recently

They did a livestream event last month and gave one of those away to a lucky viewer