Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Thank you!

E: wait, is it accurate to say that "wrong RAM" is a big complaint? If so, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

morestuff posted:

We need a return to goofy console names. The Dreamcast, GameCube and Wonderswan did it and those were the most successful consoles of all time
The Jaguar and the NeoGeo come to mind

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

We need auto-probes for anyone who claims that a notably hard game is “not that hard”

Both Niohs really do get much more forgiving later on, though? Like, your Living Weapon/Yokai Shift getting strong enough and frequently-usable enough to let you buzzsaw through large enemies while taking zero damage is just one thing that the game gives you regardless of your build, and it makes the experience much less painful. Rather than having to memorise some huge monster's alarmingly difficult-to-avoid moveset well enough to dodge and slice your way through their alarmingly large health-pool, you can just press a button that lets you annihilate them by spamming basic attacks.

Similarly, every build will have ranged weapons that let them thin the crowd before entering a battle by blowing heads off and/or knocking people down, which aren't all that common in most other Soulslikes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I bounced hard off Nioh 1 but eventually got back into it and beat it this year. The thing to understand is that it's brutally unforgiving at the start to the point where it's honestly kind of bad. The first two bosses in particular just kind of suck, really. A lot of this is that you're really just way more fragile than in Dark Souls (and also you're going to die falling into pits a lot because your character moves kind of weird). But once you start speccing into the really broken poo poo like Sloth Talismans you can break the game over your knee and only have real trouble when the game is actively trying to gently caress you over.

Nioh 2 is a lot of fun and I need to get back to it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Basically, the fun of Nioh is the crazy ninjutsu and magic poo poo and you don't get to play a lot with that at the start.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I quit at the giant ninja frog because the boss run requires you to open to ricepaper doors and it just felt like the game no longer even pretended to respect my time

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think I got that boss in one or two tries lmao

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also the final boss of Nioh is motherfucking John Dee as some like, avatar of British imperialism and he turns into a giant monster with a gazillion eyes and I just have to respect that insanity

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Nioh 2 also makes brawler builds a lot more viable by giving them their own dedicated ranged weapon, the Hand Cannon, and by giving Brutes the lion's share of powerful, simple-to-use yokai abilities in the early game. Both games having fast, 100%-effective blocks also benefits any build with heavy enough armour to soak up the stamina cost of some gigantic demon monster smacking them. You can turtle pretty good in Nioh.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Arist posted:

I think I got that boss in one or two tries lmao

Yeah frog ninja can't cope if you are in his grill and dodge right once in a while.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Jaguar and the NeoGeo come to mind
Even 25 years later the name NeoGeo still screams the future at me.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Dark Souls Remastered or Streets of Rage next for me ?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

bows1 posted:

For sure Streets of Rage. Visually and music wise it’s just a blast

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A hundred and fifty times for a boss. Man, I wish it only took me 150 tries for some of the stuff I've tried to do recently.

bows1 posted:

exquisite tea posted:

STREETS OF RAAAAAAGE

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

morestuff posted:

We need a return to goofy console names. The Dreamcast, GameCube and Wonderswan did it and those were the most successful consoles of all time

They should have called it the Xbox 2160, so we can joke about how when you see one you spin 2160 degrees and fall down

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Samurai Sanders posted:

Even 25 years later the name NeoGeo still screams the future at me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhrKkg6BYu4

Easily rivals the PSX boot logos for being a sure sign of technology no longer loving around.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This is the point I went nah to the Nioh post-game, the boss on the right on her own took me over an hour to beat first time lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Every sword game ever has trained you that the clanking and sparks is bad and the subtle sound of sword into flesh is good. Part of what makes action games good is the endorphin hit with every fleshy sound effect that erupts when you connect with your opponent. It's a little reward, and the harsh clank is a punishment.

To enjoy sekiro you have to reprogram your brain, because almost every enemy should be beaten by CLANK CLANK CLANK just tapping block rhythmically while locked on. Also the parry window is big and if you miss you block and take no damage anyway so whatever. It's weird how easy the game is once you get this vs how loving hard and annoying it is before you reprogram.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, the idea of that clank sound is actually doing something that helps you takes a long time to get used to.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Made it to the first DLC boss and deleted the game, I dunno if light armour is a trap or should only be worn by people who never get hit ever but every move he did one shot me and I had to use sloth scrolls to have him at what I would consider a reasonable speed.

Darth Walrus posted:

Both Niohs really do get much more forgiving later on, though? Like, your Living Weapon/Yokai Shift getting strong enough and frequently-usable enough to let you buzzsaw through large enemies while taking zero damage is just one thing that the game gives you regardless of your build, and it makes the experience much less painful. Rather than having to memorise some huge monster's alarmingly difficult-to-avoid moveset well enough to dodge and slice your way through their alarmingly large health-pool, you can just press a button that lets you annihilate them by spamming basic attacks.

Similarly, every build will have ranged weapons that let them thin the crowd before entering a battle by blowing heads off and/or knocking people down, which aren't all that common in most other Soulslikes.

The living weapon can only be used when it's charged up and if someone is struggling there's a good chance they've died without get their souls back so you lose both the souls you drop, your current souls and any charge on the Amrita gauge. When you're doing boss runs you've not very likely to charge it up much either as only acquiring amrita adds to it. Ranged weapons are fine but they're useless against bosses and have limited ammo.

Every thing that breaks the game has to be deliberately specced into because you know it breaks the game or stumble on it by accident out of tons of weapons and items of varying usefulness with limited skill points. God forbid you're bad at parrying and want to use swords too.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 12, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

We could say Xbox SX and Xbox SS but that's uh... not gonna fly.

I would go with Xbox Big and Xbox Small.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rad Valtar posted:

Basically they hosed up the memory on it by splitting it again and devs think it could cause a bottleneck when developing.
Hahaha no way holy poo poo.

No wonder they went all in with the GamePass idea.

Also Sony you fucks let me spend my $500 on your drat machine already!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Detective No. 27 posted:

We could say Xbox SX and Xbox SS but that's uh... not gonna fly.

I would go with Xbox Big and Xbox Small.

XBos and XSmos

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pulcinella posted:

This. The boss you mentioned Genichiro at the top of the castle is basically a microcosm of the whole game. In the way that Gascoigne is a boss that gate keeps based on your ability to parry, that boss is like that but for nearly every technique in the game, and it’s totally possible and reasonable that he is the second boss for most people. He is harder and has more technical depth than most games final boss.[/spoiler]

He is the 4th boss, at the absolute minimum, but for the average player he'll likely be the 7th boss, who is also preceded by numerous mini-bosses as well.

The skill curve on approach to him is so finely tuned that (from a development standpoint, QA) it might be one of the most impressive and satisfying skill-checks ever put into an action videogame.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Antonymous posted:

Every sword game ever has trained you that the clanking and sparks is bad and the subtle sound of sword into flesh is good. Part of what makes action games good is the endorphin hit with every fleshy sound effect that erupts when you connect with your opponent. It's a little reward, and the harsh clank is a punishment.

To enjoy sekiro you have to reprogram your brain, because almost every enemy should be beaten by CLANK CLANK CLANK just tapping block rhythmically while locked on. Also the parry window is big and if you miss you block and take no damage anyway so whatever. It's weird how easy the game is once you get this vs how loving hard and annoying it is before you reprogram.

I did take me a little while to get used to this concept, but it's very satisfying as you say. I also really love this mechanic in GoT.

On Sekiro chat, I think the big reason I keep bouncing off it is it takes too much effort to get to the boss to learn from trial and error. I know you could say the same thing about DS games but like others have mentioned, they are cheesable eventually. Nothing is really cheesable in Sekiro, minus the boss I'm stuck on now big poison throwing katana dude as you can retreat to the beginning and he backs off. But getting to him is such a pain in the rear end I keep giving up.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Who is Segaholic2?

SHOW YOURSELF!

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

sekiro is perfect until I’m fighting either a headless or those big guys. deflecting them seems off, their punches are so strong and they’re so meaty. I hate them with

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there any sign that the upcoming expansions to the Outer Worlds will be any more interesting than the base game?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there any sign that the upcoming expansions to the Outer Worlds will be any more interesting than the base game?

Mostly only that Obsidian has a good expansion track record I guess (NWN2 and FONV).

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Samurai Sanders posted:

I tried to find impressions because I was curious also and 9/10 posts are about trying to get it to work at all (Obsidian :waycool: ) but I did see one describe it as a little more New Vegas style open-world than the base game but nothing really solid or game-changing a la Far Harbor in F4.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bows1 posted:

I'm about to have nice red wine and play some sor it's the best time.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

We need auto-probes for anyone who claims that a notably hard game is “not that hard”

Game difficulty is weird because sometimes a game or genre just clicks with you. I found Sekiro very easy (for reasons someone else mentioned on this page, you have absurdly strong and forgiving defensive abilities) and I also found both Niohs very easy (because aggression trumps all and once you learn that you can outclass most enemies before they get a chance), and Dark Souls (because you can hide behind giant shields), and recently Mortal Shell (Hardening just made sense to me and I beat the entire game with only 2 deaths on my first run), etc.

But on the other hand you can put me in front of Baby's First Action Stealth Game like, I don't know let's say Dishonored or Watchdogs 2 or The Last Of Us or even Assassin's Creed and I will find it so hard that it's not fun for me to play. If you want me to not get seen by an enemy I can't do it, and I hate doing it because it gives me anxiety because I'm so bad at it.

For my brain third person action games with unforgiving and brutal combat feel natural and I don't have to put thought in to it or spend time getting good. Which is good for me because they're one of my favorite genres and I hate feeling overly challenged by a video game.

Every game can be "not that hard" and not everyone who says they find a hard game easy is trolling :kiddo:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
If you are having trouble with Jyuzo in Sekiro, make sure you've beaten the first proper boss, Gyoubu, first. He is the last fight at Ashina Outskirts

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

WaltherFeng posted:

If you are having trouble with Jyuzo in Sekiro, make sure you've beaten the first proper boss, Gyoubu, first. He is the last fight at Ashina Outskirts

I have not encountered this Gyoubu fellow, I will try another route. Thanks!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Just to clarify beating Gyoubu gets you a big attack power boost + you can simply block most of his attacks instead of parrying if you are still getting used to controls.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

There’s actually specific little exploitative ways to beat nearly every Sekiro boss. If you’re stuck on one, YouTube it, there’s often ways to sneak and land the first deathblow, spam a specific special weapon (I get the feeling these are built this way), or pull some other environmental shenanigans. Some of them just seem.. way too purposeful and must be “cheats” from left in there because there’s no summoning. One or two exploits were actually bugs and were patched out, specifically the tree you could climb to slaughter the big spinning enchanted boss with the sword on the bridge (I can’t remember the name).

I just had to use these on those two bosses with the sniper weapons because they were loving awful to beat for me. But I definitely echo what other’s say, if you learn the timing and the rhythm the fights aren’t too difficult. That N+6 genichiro video Imhotep posted above is a great example. Genichiro took me maybe twenty tries over two days until I learned the timing. It did look like a combination of imhotep’s first and second video, sometimes sloppy and sometimes just perfectly timed. It was probably the most rad and badass I’ve ever felt playing a game (not counting beating Oryx in Kingsfall here) when I beat him.

I really really hope this Elden Ring delivers.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I don’t think I’ve seen this article posted in here yet? If true then loving lol. I’ve been wondering why the silence from Sony.. this honestly just feels like the most likely explanation.

https://hothardware.com/news/microsoft-makes-ps5-cheaper

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Probably wasn't posted because it's an anonymous third-hand rumour posing as an article. Maybe reddit would like it

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

deep dish peat moss posted:

Game difficulty is weird because sometimes a game or genre just clicks with you. I found Sekiro very easy (for reasons someone else mentioned on this page, you have absurdly strong and forgiving defensive abilities) and I also found both Niohs very easy (because aggression trumps all and once you learn that you can outclass most enemies before they get a chance), and Dark Souls (because you can hide behind giant shields), and recently Mortal Shell (Hardening just made sense to me and I beat the entire game with only 2 deaths on my first run), etc.

But on the other hand you can put me in front of Baby's First Action Stealth Game like, I don't know let's say Dishonored or Watchdogs 2 or The Last Of Us or even Assassin's Creed and I will find it so hard that it's not fun for me to play. If you want me to not get seen by an enemy I can't do it, and I hate doing it because it gives me anxiety because I'm so bad at it.

For my brain third person action games with unforgiving and brutal combat feel natural and I don't have to put thought in to it or spend time getting good. Which is good for me because they're one of my favorite genres and I hate feeling overly challenged by a video game.

Every game can be "not that hard" and not everyone who says they find a hard game easy is trolling :kiddo:

That's because game difficulty is relative. I had a much easier time running through Sekiro than I did Dark Souls 3 for some reason despite Sekiro being more limited in your combat options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Probably wasn't posted because it's an anonymous third-hand rumour posing as an article. Maybe reddit would like it

~honest posting only zone~