Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
e:poo poo just realized you might have not gotten to that bit

so i took out the tagged spoiler just in case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Rinkles posted:

e:poo poo just realized you might have not gotten to that bit

so i took out the tagged spoiler just in case

if it's what i think it is, i probably did get to that point and that was the thing that actually made me stop playing the main campaign

my current hate is based on her smugly berating me every time i failed to shoot all the targets in the crew challenge. every single goddamn time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

those are a pain. i think i got them all except for the one in athenas (the one with floaty platforms)

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Father Wendigo posted:

I'm kind of curious how they're going to market a second season of DLC.

"Pay us and you get a new skill tree for your characters" (I will, full disclosure. I think it will be well worth the money, at some point.)

"You'll also get a bunch of story DLC's of varying quality and a few new legendary items that we'll balance, eventually. Well. Maybe. We're not making any promises."

"Stop looking for anything more innovating than that. We can barely patch a game without breaking it worse than it was when it was released."

And it pisses me off to say this. I feel like a Redditor farming for upvotes whenever I talk about this game. But it's hard not to be a cynical rear end when 11 years after the original game came out, barely anything has changed and has in fact, gotten more unreliable in terms of balance and basic mechanics and the complete absence of anything new.

When you really could totally steal a bunch of Diablo 3 design and make this game so much more fun and long-lasting. Just let players customize their gear in a limited way. With a currency of some kind. It would be especially easy if there was already a currency in the game that has long since become useless shortly after the game released because it had limited uses. Oh, wait. Eridium exists.

The game feels 300% better to play and I really enjoy playing it as ong as I'm not doing a mission and here isn't an NPC talking to me, but an ARPG absolutely can't rely on how well it plays alone. They tried hard and succeeded with the gameplay but they either went out off their way to ignore a bunch of fantastic lessons of the last ~7 years or they arrogantly ignored them.

I'm going for arrogant, given how dead BL3 threads/communities get mere days after new content is released.

Fakedit: In my defense, I've been drinking G&T's all night, so forgive the rant-like structure.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Judge Tesla posted:

At the very least nothing in BL3 was as bad as Hammerlock's DLC in 2.

They said they wanted longer content. So, lets design a map that's huge, and have no places of interest anywhere, then have them walk back and forth between either sides of the maps many times. Big brain move.

Enemy variety is weak? mmm lets include a badass vampire witch doctor who self heals and buffs all their nearby teammates! When we said all, we meant hoardes.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
haven't played in a while, what's good on zane these days?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Kragg DLC is really bad. Can't believe they are charging $15 for it. And this is from someone who mostly enjoyed the others.

As mentioned, it's a few hours long, but half that is just standing around waiting for unskippable dialogue to end. The side missions aren't really missions and have no point. And I haven't found any loot of interest. I wonder how much the impact of COVID had on this as it doesn't feel complete.

It's still weird to me that they put such an onus on dialogue in the game. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I just want cool guns, skills, and some enemies to blast. This game has such little replay value because of this.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Niwrad posted:

It's still weird to me that they put such an onus on dialogue in the game. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I just want cool guns, skills, and some enemies to blast. This game has such little replay value because of this.

Couldn't agree more with you.

What's weird is that they they have always handled this better, right up until this game.

I managed to hate myself enough to get all of the classes through the story, but I don't recommend it. I have a feeling that in another 3 - 10 years, a better developer will manage to do pretty much the same thing Borderlands does, but with quality of life and some promise of evolution.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

I have a feeling that in another 3 - 10 years, a better developer will manage to do pretty much the same thing Borderlands does, but with quality of life and some promise of evolution.

That's what everyone expected after 2

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

That's what everyone expected after 2

So we keep hoping.

Let's be honest, it's a pretty simple formula. The only thing that trips people up is that they think they can turn it into a games as service kind of thing, and they always fail.

For the record: I think you actually COULD do a Borderlands games as service kind of thing, but the key is knowing why people like what you put out and where to stop.

No one seems to have figure that out, yet.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i am sorry that gearbox made a dlc specifically for me, with tons of dialogue from my favorite character, please forgive me i won't ask for it any more

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Mr Scumbag posted:

So we keep hoping.

Let's be honest, it's a pretty simple formula. The only thing that trips people up is that they think they can turn it into a games as service kind of thing, and they always fail.

For the record: I think you actually COULD do a Borderlands games as service kind of thing, but the key is knowing why people like what you put out and where to stop.

Borderlands is in the same position as Destiny, both were early examples of their types that were pretty successful and attempts to copy them have just fallen on their faces time and time again, so these two franchises just sorta keep on going.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Mr Scumbag posted:

So we keep hoping.

Games as a service seem to give developers lovely brainworms. Destiny 2 has some of the best gunplay out there, but everything they do to shoehorn it into the GaaS model is the worst thing ever.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Dollas posted:

haven't played in a while, what's good on zane these days?

Seein' Dead (from the Handsome Jackpot DLC) is the best mod unless the DLC4 one is good. I'm running Clone/Drone after they buffed their damage. Sandhawk, most good SMGs, and something like Back burner to exploit with the clone.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

also i got like 3-4 legendary class mods but none for the class i was playing :(

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I got zero! At M10.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

i am sorry that gearbox made a dlc specifically for me, with tons of dialogue from my favorite character, please forgive me i won't ask for it any more

That's a little too defensive. Go farm some more gear and cool off.

A lot of people here like the Borderlands story, but it's never been very good. I'm happy that you enjoy it, though. Legitimately. I'd love to feel the same way.

Personally, I'd like to be able to skip it, but apparently that's not on the cards.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Games as a service seem to give developers lovely brainworms. Destiny 2 has some of the best gunplay out there, but everything they do to shoehorn it into the GaaS model is the worst thing ever.

True, but I think it's less because it's GaaS in that case and more because it's a really lazy "do this mission, got to X and do Y before going to Z"

The mission design in that game was always MMO tier which is why I never lasted more than a week playing it. This is to say nothing about the abysmal level of character customization outside.

I just see Borderlands and Destiny as extremely different attempts at something that their developers see extremely differently from each other.

Destiny is more of an FPS MMO and Borderlands is more of an FPS RPG. The difference between the two being tens of hours for progression.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Mr Scumbag posted:

That's a little too defensive. Go farm some more gear and cool off.

A lot of people here like the Borderlands story, but it's never been very good. I'm happy that you enjoy it, though. Legitimately. I'd love to feel the same way.

Personally, I'd like to be able to skip it, but apparently that's not on the cards.

oh no i wasnt trying to be super sarcastic, i do genuinely feel kinda bad that nobody else seems to enjoy the story closure that i have been waiting for for so long

i miss getting to actually play krieg, he was the only class that made the game fun to play for me

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Borderlands needs to scrap mayhem mode and put in something like a greater rift mode.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

hamsystem posted:

Borderlands needs to scrap mayhem mode and put in something like a greater rift mode.

COPY DIABLO 3.

Legitimately the correct opinion. The solution has been there for years before Randy Pitchford ever thought to threaten the lives of his employees and their children.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

hay guys, haven't played any bl3 dlc, good to jump in with some friends?

quote:

Legitimately the correct opinion. The solution has been there for years before Randy Pitchford ever thought to threaten the lives of his employees and their children.

:yikes:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hmm, did they do the Tentacles DLC thing where they assigned the mod drops to the wrong classes? 3 Moze coms for Amara, and nothing else.

E: watch out, the heads are blue

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 12, 2020

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Mr Scumbag posted:

"Pay us and you get a new skill tree for your characters" (I will, full disclosure. I think it will be well worth the money, at some point.)

"You'll also get a bunch of story DLC's of varying quality and a few new legendary items that we'll balance, eventually. Well. Maybe. We're not making any promises."

"Stop looking for anything more innovating than that. We can barely patch a game without breaking it worse than it was when it was released."

And it pisses me off to say this. I feel like a Redditor farming for upvotes whenever I talk about this game. But it's hard not to be a cynical rear end when 11 years after the original game came out, barely anything has changed and has in fact, gotten more unreliable in terms of balance and basic mechanics and the complete absence of anything new.

When you really could totally steal a bunch of Diablo 3 design and make this game so much more fun and long-lasting. Just let players customize their gear in a limited way. With a currency of some kind. It would be especially easy if there was already a currency in the game that has long since become useless shortly after the game released because it had limited uses. Oh, wait. Eridium exists.

The game feels 300% better to play and I really enjoy playing it as ong as I'm not doing a mission and here isn't an NPC talking to me, but an ARPG absolutely can't rely on how well it plays alone. They tried hard and succeeded with the gameplay but they either went out off their way to ignore a bunch of fantastic lessons of the last ~7 years or they arrogantly ignored them.

I'm going for arrogant, given how dead BL3 threads/communities get mere days after new content is released.

Fakedit: In my defense, I've been drinking G&T's all night, so forgive the rant-like structure.

But hey, they resisted the urge to let you buy eridium to get weapons/skins/emotes from Crazy Earl with microtransactions! Aren't they so nice in not doing that? (because they knew people would get mad that the cash shop works when the game was and is still a techincal mess)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

loving year later and I still can't rebind the use key without using autohotkey :cripes:

AAA gaming

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

oh no i wasnt trying to be super sarcastic, i do genuinely feel kinda bad that nobody else seems to enjoy the story closure that i have been waiting for for so long

I like Krieg too and the closure to Krieg's post-bl2 story. The reveal that Maya could hear his sane voice all along was neat, but there's a part near the end of one of the worlds that reminded me of all the stupid "Krieg is Tiny Tina's dad" theories from bl2 and the actual DLC ending doesn't feel as impactful as dragon keep or claptastic voyage. All the world 1 & 2 stuff were way stronger than the last half and nonsense final boss of the dlc.

most of the crew challenges are almost impossible if you're running the game on an older slower computer; 1/9 completed after 2 hours of shooting orbs

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Only played like 2 hours of Bounty in Blood but so far it seems excellent (and further highlights how they shafted Krieg's DLC)

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I thought bounty in blood was the best dlc both gameplay and story

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Dragon keep was the best Borderlands DLC I've ever played.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Rinkles posted:

Only played like 2 hours of Bounty in Blood but so far it seems excellent (and further highlights how they shafted Krieg's DLC)

It's not the longest DLC but it is very consistent from start to finish, and Rose is one of the best BL3 characters.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gearbox has a PAX event today at 12:45pm PT/3:45pm ET/8:45PM BST

on top of their publishing portfolio, there'll probably be Season 2 stuff, and guessing they'll officially reveal the new skill trees

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

Did Randy always look this sickly? drat.

Finished DLC4. It was fine. I don't think it had quite the emotional weight (and overall quality) of the Tiny Tina DLC, but it was nice to get some more for my man Krieg.
I probably wouldn't purchase it separately, though. The non-memory sidequests felt especially tacked-on this time.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Paid DLC coming later this year, "bringing an additional Skill Tree for each Vault Hunter and more to those who purchase it". FL4K gets a Trapper skill tree and a Loaderbot pet; the others haven't been revealed yet.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm a fan of the original game, disillusioned by the sequel and didn't play the pre sequel or whatever that is. Burnt out on CoD. Is now the time to give this a try at half price or should I leave it? Theres no tiny tina this time is there?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

codo27 posted:

I'm a fan of the original game, disillusioned by the sequel and didn't play the pre sequel or whatever that is. Burnt out on CoD. Is now the time to give this a try at half price or should I leave it? Theres no tiny tina this time is there?

Tiny Tina has a very minimal one-and-done role in the main campaign plus a couple sidequests.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

codo27 posted:

Given your preferences, you probably should not buy this game. The only reason I can come up with for liking 1 but hating 2 is that you preferred the more subdued and serious atmosphere of the original. 3 goes about as far in the other direction as a game possibly can. The level of Tiny Tina-esque dialogue is off the charts (and yes, she is in this game too).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

A price for the dlc would've been nice.

Good to hear the next gen upgrade is free.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yup, Bounty in Blood was great.

Give us a pre-sequel type sequel set in Gehenna, GB.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

For people who want to watch just the new skill tree stuff and not the rest of the poo poo in the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5cfuzdPFsE&t=2489s

New capstone looks like it could be abused a bit with Rakk Attack, turning Fl4k into a potential tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There a 'skip all this loving talking' button somewhere? Playing DLC with new chars seemed like a great idea until we realized our 4th weapon slot and artifact slot were locked behind several hours of main story.