Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MJeff posted:

Owns, but, uh, when we gonna talk about that patreon money Cybershell ol' boy? :lol:

If people decided to keep paying him for the years he was gone then that’s on them imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Definitely going to give pkr's version a run through next time I feel like playing sa1

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Evil Eagle posted:

Definitely going to give pkr's version a run through next time I feel like playing sa1

Same. I heard about the changes but didn’t realize it was that bad.

Also I never knew that clipping bug on Emerald Coast was a DX thing. I remember thinking to myself that SA1 wasn’t as buggy as its reputation and now I know that’s because I mostly played the DC version.

I get the feeling that Cybershell made this video a long time ago and only just finished or released it now.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I owned the Dreamcast version but only really played through it once and I played through DX countless times so I barely have any memory of the way it looked on Dreamcast. They hosed up for sure

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can mod the original collisions back into SADX and it makes the game so much better, it completely fixes the feel of it, it handles absolutely perfectly

jk lol the game still sucks poo poo, it just has fewer walls that eat you and spit you into the abyss

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The mod is really good and super easy to install. A++++ would buy again.:thumbsup:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think it'd be very scary to fall into a bottomless pit.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i wish you would clip through the streets and be consumed by the void, stairmaster.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cybershell posted another video today.

This one focuses on Chao.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

he has blessed us

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
putting that monster of a video together explains his disappearance

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I too completely avoided the Chao stuff when i played this at launch. Never saw the point. bout to find out why with this video

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I didn't know anyone didn't like it, I thought it was the point of the SA2:b. Otherwise what do you even do, just pack it up once you beat the levels?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I loved the Chao Garden. Me and my cousin would even bring our VMUs around to play the Chao mini games.

I don’t care how lovely the next mainline Sonic game is, I’ll buy it if they bring back the garden.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
chao ftw and the fact there isnt a mobile phone chao garden is criminal

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ArfJason posted:

Why do that when you could just make rip offs of other mobile games with Sonic slapped on top.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I did a lot of the the Chao Garden on SA2 Battle. I squeezed my money's worth of that game. I really wanted the PSO Chao.

I used to want a mobile Chao Garden, but backed off when I realized how gatcha f2p microtransaction laden it would actually be.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

ArfJason posted:

Huh? Sega is weird to leave money on the table like that

Sega is weird, in general

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

People who hate Chao are the scum of society

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

big scum here

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I didn't know anyone didn't like it, I thought it was the point of the SA2:b. Otherwise what do you even do, just pack it up once you beat the levels?

I think it added some good replay value with the excuse to replay levels you liked for animals & drives.

That said, I think Chao only really work for me as a meta/side element. A game where you just raise chao on its own might be a bit weak?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fargin Icehole posted:

Sega is weird, in general
Reading about older Sega franchises recently and they've been weird seemingly a long time. Like apparently PS3 is what it is because they cut the entire team while promoting this super revolutionary game. So apparently Phantasy Star 3 sucked so Sonic may live. (Well, sucked might be too strong a term, it's kind of my favorite of the three genesis titles, but people hate it)

And Golden Axe they had an arcade hit they instead didn't port and then made a Japan exclusive Golden Axe 3 which was apparently so bad critics applauded them not releasing it elsewhere. There's probably more but off the top of my head that sounds like modern Sega while happening thirty years ago. Sega has been weird for most of our lives!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
PS3 is mostly what it is because they put the Golden Axe team onto it while PS2 was still in development by the team that had actually made RPGs before.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

It's boring and has nothing to do with running or platforming.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

PS3 is mostly what it is because they put the Golden Axe team onto it while PS2 was still in development by the team that had actually made RPGs before.
Dang, I just looked it up again and it's apparently the Golden Axe port team?

Such the Sega

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Part of it is due to a weird superstition around the third entries of anything, I've heard a bunch of stories about different game series' third game being handed to new teams or otherwise drastically overhauled for no explicit reason other than it's the third one and it has to change.

I don't know why Golden Axe 3 has such a bad reputation, it's absolutely nothing special for as late as it was but it's not awful or anything. Naoto Oshima helped out on it too, strangely enough.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I could never get into Chao because everything took forever and there was almost no clear or complete documentation of what I needed to do. Every time I went to the garden I was terrified I was making some sort of incurable mistake.

Also the video doesn't show how easy it is to accidentally kick a chao

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

i love chao

they're called that because you're supposed to eat them right

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the first message board i ever joined was a chao centric one. chao ftw

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

he spent a lot of time explaining how chao work but i dont know if he ever satisfactorily answered the question of what chao are

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

he spent a lot of time explaining how chao work but i dont know if he ever satisfactorily answered the question of what chao are

they're precious babies

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Also the video doesn't show how easy it is to accidentally kick a chao

The Dreamcast version's a bloodbath. The difference between petting a Chao and punching it with your giant pointy knuckles is a few millimetres.

I loved pet raising games as a kid. I was also kinda surprised that other games like Mario Sunshine didn't have all these weird extra modes. No 2-player mode, no kart racing, no ranking system, no menu themes of literally every voiced character, no free DLC, no GBA support, but at least you're being framed by a shadowy doppelganger.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Thanks to that video I'm playing SA1 with the full Dreamcast treatment, and you know what, game's good. It has a lot less polish than its contemporaries, but Speed Highway and Sky Deck are still top tier levels and like nothing else at the time. A modern update of the gameplay with better level design in line with modern games would still be fun as all hell.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A modern chao garden on mobile would likely have a number of terrible gacha mechanics, but it wouldn’t require you to play either Sonic Adventure so it’s hard to say which is worse.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I were doing it, what I'd do to kind of replicate the 'unlock as you play' thing of the SA chao gardens would be to set up a system whereby you can link your Chao account to your PSN/XBL/Steam/Epic/Etc account and have an unlock in the garden for each achievement that you earn in all of the existing games. It'd mirror the system and also provide encouragement for addicts to buy all of Sega's games and blow time and effort on them while avoiding criticism of gacha mechanics.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Thanks to that video I'm playing SA1 with the full Dreamcast treatment, and you know what, game's good. It has a lot less polish than its contemporaries, but Speed Highway and Sky Deck are still top tier levels and like nothing else at the time. A modern update of the gameplay with better level design in line with modern games would still be fun as all hell.

Agree. It’s a real shame that the next time they rerelease the game on consoles again, it’ll probably be the DX version. I wish I could play this version on Switch.:(

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

big scum reporting in

they were dumb and boring and i will never understand the appeal

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Chao are cute and I like having them in the franchise, but shoving animals in their face so you can watch them do stuff without you is basically the polar opposite of fast paced action platforming, and it really shouldn't surprise anyone that some Sonic fans are going to bounce off it completely.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Pants Donkey posted:

A modern chao garden on mobile would likely have a number of terrible gacha mechanics, but it wouldn’t require you to play either Sonic Adventure so it’s hard to say which is worse.

But how else am I supposed to get Chaos Drives if I can't repeatedly blow up the first corridor of Eggman's first level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Shadowlyger posted:

But how else am I supposed to get Chaos Drives if I can't repeatedly blow up the first corridor of Eggman's first level?

You're in luck! For only $4.99 you can get the "Newcomer Bundle" that includes 50 of every Chaos Drive, 10 Black Market Passes, 5 Animal Lures, a Chaos Orb, a Hero Orb, a Dark Orb, a 30-Day Garden Key, one S-Rank Guaranteed Summon Ticket, 100 Paid Gems, and an exclusive Knuckles Hat!