Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Yeah, it's a bunch of bullshit. Our rink funnels people near the hand sanitizer, but nobody uses it. Masks are required but nobody is actively observing it and calling people out. Social distancing, LMAO.

As a reasonably intelligent human being, I find this all offensive. As a nurse, gently caress all the dumb bastards that are treating this like nothing. If there were any justice in the world, all the no-mask/covid-truthers/MAH FREEDUMS people would be culled from the population.

The only things about covid that should be recorded for history are the actual science of the pandemic and a statement that it did not kill enough people.

:unsmigghh:

loving :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Verman posted:

Jesus Christ. All for a game.

For real. I can't believe I'm seeing Seattle hockey folk go to Idaho (+5 hr drive) nearly every weekend to play in hockey tournaments right now. Smh

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Tank44 posted:

For real. I can't believe I'm seeing Seattle hockey folk go to Idaho (+5 hr drive) nearly every weekend to play in hockey tournaments right now. Smh

Same. I was on a few of the first captains calls that the gshl had early on and I really disliked everything that was being said. First ones were very early when nobody knew anything. The one around June was hopelessly and ignorantly optimistic thinking things would be getting back to normal "any day now". I thought the idea of planning a return back when we were still in phase 1/2 was pointless. They came up with all the weird "solutions" like wearing masks, limiting team sizes etc which I laughed at. The director also said that everybody he talked to wanted to play but it's only the annoying folks who don't give a poo poo that are speaking up.

Fast forward to the one last week. I only jumped on because I thought they might have news. Literally nothing has changed. Our league director seems to be a covid denier and severely underestimates the amount of people not willing to come back yet. As a person he's a nice enough guy but he's really insecure when it comes to making decisions and he seems to be folding to the pressure of the squeaky wheels. There's literally zero logic in any of his arguments to resume play other than sounding like a whiny child complaining "but other states are open" referencing Idaho and the people heading there to play. People asked if he would set up tournaments out there and he was reluctant. Personally I would be worried about a liability lawsuit or losing my usa hockey affiliation if there was a breakout.

Honestly I just don't get it. People are interesting creatures.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Our shinny group has had pretty much everyone come back save for 3-4 people, but it's a different situation up here (for now.) I don't think they'll shut anything back down here but I'm gonna bail on the season if things get ugly and most of the other people in the group said the same thing

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Our rink clarified that masks must be worn during play.

but if you don’t wear one, we’ll just assume you have a medical condition that prevents you from wearing one and not hassle anyone about it

So basically it’s all lip service to appeal to the county/state.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Tank44 posted:

I've been seeing this as well. I had to laugh though because the team usually does horrible but now they're winning tournaments.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The real issue is those poor idiots forcing themselves to drive through eastern Washington that often.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Goons help me improve my wrist/snapshot power, it is absolutely terrible. What's the trick to loading up your stick? I watch these higher tier guys load up their stick so effortlessly meanwhile I'm over here trying to put all my drat weight on the thing and it's just terrible.

Is top hand away from the body and pulling back in while the lower hand pushes/rotates the key? My current theory is that I'm not having my top hand do enough and I'm sort of just trying to push my lower hand/stick into the ice to get the flex which is only 50% of the equation. Is it as simple as that?

Like what would you say the major determinant of loading a stick is? I constantly hear all these online video say lower body, legs, etc. I feel pretty comfortable with all of that but its just so meh.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 18, 2020

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Its all technique and the weird part about wrist shots, everybody has a slightly different take on it.

A lot of people complain about lack of strength but I've seen kids shoot pucks really well and they weigh 70lbs. Yes strength can really help but technique does most of the work.

A shooting pad will help refine your technique. Record yourself taking shots and post it here. Its like a golf swing. There are a few body mechanics involved and there's rarely one simple thing to suggest based on text. Even at this point in hockey for myself, I still shoot and see what different things do.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Get a 55 flex stick like me

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Get stronger and shoot a lot of pucks. You aren’t shooting nearly enough and you aren’t as strong as you could be.

Yeah, you can’t brute force a shot, the worlds strongest guys aren’t the best shooters, but as an athletic activity it all matters. Core, legs, shoulders, arms.

Then when you get off the shooting pad you’ll be annoyed because you can’t do it on the ice because you’re in motion, constantly off balance, defended, puck isn’t in perfect place, etc. that’s really where the strength comes in imo. Load the stick and get mechanics in play in non ideal shooting chances.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 18, 2020

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

prom candy posted:

Get a 55 flex stick like me

Kindasorta seconding this. A someone who is not a tall guy, I get a lot better of results from a 75 flex. That said, I tried a few intermediate sticks since they were a good height without cutting them down (I think 65 flex?) and they disintegrated in my hands instantly. They didn’t seem as durable as senior sticks and they couldn't handle my shots or stickchecking for long.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i got asked if i was playing this year early last week, told the team captain nope not this year. really cool and awesome world we live in right now.

and wow, hockey players are mostly idiot chuds who think the virus is “just the flu, bro”??? very surprising.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

the text i got from my drop-in skate: “gretchen shitmer says masks must be ‘worn’ during skating.”

so yeah, not gonna put myself in a situation with people that dont take it seriously and think wearing a mask makes them a pussy, not to mention that most will probably wear a neck goiter or w/e the gently caress those are which are totally loving pointless.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

so her name isn’t Gretchen Shitmer I take it

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

sellouts posted:

so her name isn’t Gretchen Shitmer I take it
no it’s gretchen whitmer.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Jovial Cow posted:

Goons help me improve my wrist/snapshot power, it is absolutely terrible. What's the trick to loading up your stick? I watch these higher tier guys load up their stick so effortlessly meanwhile I'm over here trying to put all my drat weight on the thing and it's just terrible.

Is top hand away from the body and pulling back in while the lower hand pushes/rotates the key? My current theory is that I'm not having my top hand do enough and I'm sort of just trying to push my lower hand/stick into the ice to get the flex which is only 50% of the equation. Is it as simple as that?

Like what would you say the major determinant of loading a stick is? I constantly hear all these online video say lower body, legs, etc. I feel pretty comfortable with all of that but its just so meh.

I agree with both the technique and flex ideas. A lot of your wrist shot will come to how you move your entire body rather than just your arms. What flex are you using? I had some hip arthritis issues and as my lower body became less flexible I moved down from a 95 flex to the 85/87 flex down to a 75 flex as I couldn't use my lower body as much to help me load the stick for shots.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOwoXKwhiEs This shows how the full body is used in the shot pretty well, transferring weight and as sellouts said, upper body, hips, core

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 18, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So yeah our league started up this week. Masks are required during play, but since it’s basically don’t ask don’t tell for “medical conditions,” no one is wearing them. Good poo poo. 30 people on the rink, all with medical conditions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is probably worth linking too because I think it's a cool practice idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KBC5g3ORWM

Unfortunately I haven't been able to see if it helps on the ice, because I haven't touched ice since this video came out.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So yeah our league started up this week. Masks are required during play, but since it’s basically don’t ask don’t tell for “medical conditions,” no one is wearing them. Good poo poo. 30 people on the rink, all with medical conditions.

the locker room is probably the highest point of exposure anyways.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Gio posted:

the locker room is probably the highest point of exposure anyways.

Might be worse on the ice/bench. Heavy breathing blasts aerosols a good distance, and they hang out for a while. Post game in the locker room is probably a gas chamber though. I mean, worse than normal.

For wrist shots, agree with everything above. Practice a ton and try different things. Try to get your core and legs involved during the shot. I remember trying to put a ton of weight on my stick at first, but you don't need to do that. It all adds up when you get the motions right.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I played hockey on Wednesday. poo poo is picking up in Ontario but my city has under 50 active cases so I'm not too worried. Max ten skaters per team, no dressing room. The bench is still probably the riskiest place, they put tape on it to spread everyone out but it's a lot of exhalation. If poo poo starts popping off in my city I'm just gonna stop going and eat the cost. A couple people wore masks on the ice, most didn't including me. I dunno, maybe this is really stupid but much like unprotected sex it sure felt good.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

One of my teammates is trying to get everyone together for a Stanley Cup watch party. At a restaurant. Bring the kids!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

prom candy posted:

I played hockey on Wednesday. poo poo is picking up in Ontario but my city has under 50 active cases so I'm not too worried. Max ten skaters per team, no dressing room. The bench is still probably the riskiest place, they put tape on it to spread everyone out but it's a lot of exhalation. If poo poo starts popping off in my city I'm just gonna stop going and eat the cost. A couple people wore masks on the ice, most didn't including me. I dunno, maybe this is really stupid but much like unprotected sex it sure felt good.

yeah its dumb and irresponsible. 30-40% of total cases are asymptomatic, probably higher the younger you are, so you could spread it and not know.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Gio posted:

yeah its dumb and irresponsible. 30-40% of total cases are asymptomatic, probably higher the younger you are, so you could spread it and not know.

yeah, the things that kind of pushed me towards going are that hockey has been back in Ontario since July and as far as I know they've traced no outbreaks to it (not that our contact tracing is all that great) and also I don't really go anywhere or see anyone. I do distance visits with my parents but my dad also signed up for hockey so it's not like me not playing would protect them. I dunno, I'll probably end up dropping out if they don't end up just shutting er down here but I didn't want to lose my spot in this shinny group.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's pretty silly to attend gatherings, but I get why it's happening. No one is more immune now than they were in March (well unless you've caught the plague) but we've been living under the threat of apocalyptic doom for 7 months and it's normal to desensitize, especially when more and more people are out having fun and not seeing consequences.

But there's enough situations of one positive idiot going to a party or whatever and suddenly 10 people are dead. It's straight up gambling with the life of yourself and anyone you live with.

And it gets more risky the more people go out into the world and crank up the number of active cases. It was probably safer to be playing hockey in April than it is now.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i get the impulse to want to take risks and the peer pressure of not wearing a mask, which is why i dont bother putting myself in a situation where i’d be tempted to. i dont know, im an rear end in a top hat about it bc i am more at-risk* so i cant just go out and pretend its not happening and, yes, it makes my wife and i pissed off and feel insane for more-or-less quarantining. i want to play hockey and i want to see family and friends. it is literally loving hell, and its hell bc our government is a failed state incapable of doing whats necessary to contain it.

*rare immune disorder (ITP) when i was 11—acute (after a monster dose of steroids), but viruses always hit me hard, and i think the fact that my immune system decided to eat the loving platelets in my blood for 8 months is indicative of a lovely overreactive immune system.

Gio fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 19, 2020

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Just realized the Beer League Tournaments got rebranded as Draft Experience and have been running tournaments this year/now. Yeah, let's travel to a city to play a sweaty game and associate with dozens of other random travelling people. I like the general concept (never done) but not in 2020.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The one I did in Boston was awesome. Wanted to do them again but we had a kid so that put a kink in things. My wife is a CPA so when most of them were a few years ago was during tax season, definitely can't leave during tax season.

I did have a dream of playing hockey the other night. It was hyper realistic. It made me very sad.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
My shinny group just started up last night. My city up here in Ontario just started exploring the rinks opening up. You need to show up dressed as much as you can, most guys wear pants, shin pads, etc. but need to put on skates. No change rooms, you have to get dressed at the ice surface (there's 4 ice surfaces at the arena) and they have chairs all spread out around and separated. Masks are mandatory until at the ice surface, but we've required everyone to wear them when getting dressed, etc. Ice times have a half hour gap in between them now, you don't get access to the arena until 15 minutes before ice time, everyone sanitizes their hands, have to be out of the arena 10 minutes after your ice time. Taped off aisles for moving around the facility, separate exit and entrance doors. It's the same group of guys each week and everyone uses up the whole bench and spreads as far as possible. Temperatures taken on the way in and attendance taken. If someone doesn't show we cannot sub anyone in. It's not perfect, but it's almost as good as I expect to get. I don't think I would be comfortable with a league, and even this was hard to justify and I'm keeping an eye on cases and ready to pull out if needed.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Are you in Hamilton? That sounds exactly like my rink

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

prom candy posted:

Are you in Hamilton? That sounds exactly like my rink

Mohawk 4 Ice Center, I was impressed at how organized it was.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Haha yeah that's my rink! You play Tuesdays? I'm there on Wednesdays. I used to play GHL and Russell but now I just do this shinny group.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Took 3 whole games before there was an ejection and match penalty for “ethnic/racial slur.”

Glad I’m still not playing.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

prom candy posted:

Haha yeah that's my rink! You play Tuesdays? I'm there on Wednesdays. I used to play GHL and Russell but now I just do this shinny group.

I play shinny on Sunday nights, I'll look into getting into an actual league when we're not in the middle of a pandemic. I want the exercise from hockey, but I want to keep my exposure down, so last shinny of the night seems to be okay. Just the same group of guys. It is really weird to see the arena so dark though at night as all the upper floor lighting is off and what not and the parking lot is so empty.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ManiacMatt posted:

I play shinny on Sunday nights, I'll look into getting into an actual league when we're not in the middle of a pandemic. I want the exercise from hockey, but I want to keep my exposure down, so last shinny of the night seems to be okay. Just the same group of guys. It is really weird to see the arena so dark though at night as all the upper floor lighting is off and what not and the parking lot is so empty.

Nice. I'm not sure I'll ever go back to league play to be honest, I really like private shinny groups better. It's a much more curated experience. A couple friends and I were just getting the ball rolling on our own group before COVID started. I sure as hell wouldn't be playing in a league right now and if/when our numbers tick up in Hamilton I'm gonna bail from hockey altogether again. The way it's set up at the quad pad feels way less risky than a restaurant or gym or whatever but it's still probably the highest-contact thing I've done since March.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

That's exactly where I'm at as well, I've been pretty reserved otherwise for going out. I go out for groceries and to see mine and my wife's family and that's about it.

The shinny group I'm in is good, nice range of skills, very welcoming. I'm one of the worst people on the ice as far as skill goes and no one complains about it or being on my line. Which always makes it nice, and they also don't baby me either and avoid playing any more or less aggressively against me than the others.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Private pickups have always been the way.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Yeah private pickups are the best. I'm just scared of the one I'm in, because a lot of people were not coming back, they opened it up to all sorts of slubs. I'm just afraid when things return to "normal", a lot of the lovely people will make it unfun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That was the best part of the instructional league and why I kept at it so long (had nothing to do with the fact that I am irredeemable poo poo at the game). Everyone was friends with everyone and the teams were all drafted by the commissioner, so the games were always really even and a lot of fun.

I kinda like the league play too even with the ringers, but games where you can crack jokes with the winger lining up against you is even better.