Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
oh never mind I missed that the 83A just has a straight up wall wart instead of a brick. I don't think I've ever seen that on a monitor so I guess I just glossed right over it.

an extension cord won't be a problem for that anyway, my X34 pulls like 50 watts and you can do that on any random extension cord, even a lovely dollar store one.

or another way you can do it is a DC barrel extension cord... it's just a socket on one end and the plug on the other. You'll have to measure it and find out what size it is though. They are super common for CCTV cameras and that kind of thing. I have a couple for my Vive lighthouses.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

K8.0 posted:

You never in your life will find a consumer electrical device that can't be plugged into an extension cord. Even stuff that tells you not to is completely fine, unless you're plugging it into a special high-amperage outlet that won't pop a breaker if too much current is drawn.

The one exception I would put here is electric heaters. While a lot of them would be fine, I have also run into some that definitely were not.

In the early days of the pandemic I was working from the basement of my parents' house occasionally, and my stepfather had plugged a space heater into a triple tap on an extension cord. I went to unplug it one afternoon after it had been running and the power plug had melted and was gooshy enough to leave some plastic stuck to the triple tap. It was, to put it mildly, disturbing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The one exception I would put here is electric heaters. While a lot of them would be fine, I have also run into some that definitely were not.

In the early days of the pandemic I was working from the basement of my parents' house occasionally, and my stepfather had plugged a space heater into a triple tap on an extension cord. I went to unplug it one afternoon after it had been running and the power plug had melted and was gooshy enough to leave some plastic stuck to the triple tap. It was, to put it mildly, disturbing.

most space heaters are complete garbage. Your computer puts out way more heat per watt than a space heater. Replace the space heater with whatever old computer hardware you have lying around and set it to run folding@home (or mine bitcoin). You probably want to run this on Linux and have it setup so it's not going to brick when you cut power because you are using it as a spaceheater primarily.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the cord on the 83a isnt THAT short. its about the same length as the one on the old Korean 1440p i had, and the lack of a fat brick in the middle of the cord means it isn't always tugging down on everything.

that said the wallwart thing itself can be kinda annoying, it basically has to be the last plug in your power strip or it blocks all the other outlets... which would be fine except like half the bricks for everything else these days all want that same slot. gotta get a wallsquid soon.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

K8.0 posted:

BFI is incredible, but there are zero monitors that properly support it with VRR. It's really a shame because sample and hold really damages motion clarity, but there just aren't any good options yet and probably won't be any time soon. It would require modulating both the timing and brightness of the backlight pulses and no display has done that yet. For OLED it would be easier - just make the pixels light up for a very short time, but much brighter - but the problem is that brightness is the thing that burns out OLEDs, so doing it well would make an OLED display have a dramatically shorter lifetime.

There are some monitors with halfassed support like the VG27AQ, but none of them are great options. It's just one of those things we're stuck with for now.
Thanks, that blows. But OTOH this nudges me in the direction of just getting an 27GL850 and then not waiting 10 years to upgrade but jumping as soon as a 4k BFI monitor comes out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think this can happen when the framerate doubling kicks in. It’s not quiiiite the exact same brightness at 120 Hz as it is at 60 Hz, so when it goes off the bottom end and kicks in doubling it gets darker for an instant.

That makes sense. I'm guessing since it's VRR, there's no way to lock the desktop to like 120 Hz with FreeSync enabled? Because logic tells me that defeats the purpose of FreeSync and I should just run the desktop without it enabled if I want a locked refresh rate to prevent said instant flickers lmao.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
There doesn't seem to be any sort of option to disable Deep Sleep for the ASUS XG279Q that addresses the issues I'm having with it. The VG27AQ has the same problem and ASUS hasn't issued a fix yet despite the monitor being out for a year, so I'm guessing it must be some sort of hardware-based limitation and a solution or workaround isn't coming. This has made a dual-monitor setup really annoying to have to juggle around, so back to the store it goes. Gonna give the LG 27GL83A-B a whirl and see how that goes.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Cygni posted:

the cord on the 83a isnt THAT short. its about the same length as the one on the old Korean 1440p i had, and the lack of a fat brick in the middle of the cord means it isn't always tugging down on everything.

that said the wallwart thing itself can be kinda annoying, it basically has to be the last plug in your power strip or it blocks all the other outlets... which would be fine except like half the bricks for everything else these days all want that same slot. gotta get a wallsquid soon.

I bought a power bar like this and I am actually able to use every single socket even with bricks. The spacing between the sockets is incredibly nice and I regret not getting something similar sooner.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Martian Manfucker posted:

I bought a power bar like this and I am actually able to use every single socket even with bricks. The spacing between the sockets is incredibly nice and I regret not getting something similar sooner.

I like this one the plugs pivot https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-12-Ou...ps%2C152&sr=8-3

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Do you folks have any recommendations for a 24in 1080p monitor that's good for gaming? The only real requirement I have is that it has to have a thin bezel. Preferably around or under $300.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

K8.0 posted:

It's hard to tell you much with just this information. I guess the first question is what kind of gaming are you doing/do you plan on doing, and with what hardware, budget, long-term plans, etc? It doesn't usually make sense to overspend in one area and underspend in another, so more information could help. You say occasional use, so depending on your other hardware and what you're doing with it a cheap 1080p monitor may indeed be the best buy for you.

Sorry for the vagueness, I was still figuring out what I wanted. Primarily, I'd say I'm looking for bang-for-your-buck 1080 monitors to consider.

For size I'm considering 22-24", with 24" being the largest I can fit, but also wondering how much sharper a smaller screen would look. Refresh rate isn't so important, anything above 60 is just bonus. I guess I'm a 'Power User', but I don't want to sink too much $ into refresh rate or unnecessary features on this one. Once I build a new PC, this PC/monitor will go out in the living room for home media/video editing/multi-tasking/occasional browsing/entertaining guests/casting to TVs. I built my current PC with mid-range parts circa 2014. It'll run 1080 pretty well, but I'm not sure about anything much larger than that.

I put some filters on Amazon and this is what I'm looking at.

These four catch my eye:
HP L3N74AA
LG 22MK430H
Asus VS228H
Philips 226E9QDSB

Is there a consensus on TN vs IPS? They seem to be about the same price.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I'm currently rocking a LG 29UM68-P 29". It's upgrade time with the 3xxx series for 1440p low latency gaming and also I really need more screen real estate for my job.

Due to strange desk space constraints I will probably have to go vertical if I get a second screen. If I get the LG 27GL83A-B I'd have a tiny screen at the bottom and an UW on top, which looks super weird, so I'm mainly looking at getting a second UW in 34" and stacking it with the old screen, or replacing the whole setup with a 49" super monstrosity.

What exactly is the quality difference between a lg-34gn850 and a samsung odyssey g9?

They're both more expensive than I'm comfortable paying, but I can't really find a decent alternative for the above two. Open to suggestions.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I just wanted to thank K8.0 for the good advice. After doing some research, I used the recommended settings from TFTCentral and moved the monitor back from the position it been sitting on my desk. It's working like a champ now and I have no issues using it.

71wn
Mar 25, 2018
Any recommendations for a 24" QHD or 4k monitor at 120hz or better? Preferably with Freesync.

I've found that 24" is the right size for my dual-monitor top/bottom setup and there don't seem to be many options out there.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Wondering if someone has seen this behavior: the monitor is sometimes falling back to a very low resolution when coming back from "turn off the display" mode. I.e., computer didn't go to sleep, just turned off the display after 10 mins as I've asked it to.

Turning the monitor off and on again fixes it. It's a 3440x1440 screen and it comes back in pillarboxed mode at a very low res when it does happen.

LG 34GK950F attached to an RX 5700, Win 10. Never saw this until a couple weeks or maybe 3 weeks ago. No AMD driver updates or changes to monitor settings, but there have been Windows 10 updates.

I'm running Remote Desktop almost all the time and sometimes fullscreen games that are backgrounded but haven't seen a pattern as to when it does the low res fallback.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Namnesor posted:

Do you folks have any recommendations for a 24in 1080p monitor that's good for gaming? The only real requirement I have is that it has to have a thin bezel. Preferably around or under $300.

Why 24" 1080p? Space constraints? Weak hardware? What sort of gaming?

To answer as best I can without more info : either any random 24" 1080p IPS that you can find on Amazon, or one of the 24" 1080p 144hz IPS Freesync displays like the Acer VG240Y Pbiip, Asus VP249QGR, AOC 24G2, whatever the Pixio one is, there are a bunch. They can be had for ~$160 at the right time.

literally this big posted:

Sorry for the vagueness, I was still figuring out what I wanted. Primarily, I'd say I'm looking for bang-for-your-buck 1080 monitors to consider.

For size I'm considering 22-24", with 24" being the largest I can fit, but also wondering how much sharper a smaller screen would look. Refresh rate isn't so important, anything above 60 is just bonus. I guess I'm a 'Power User', but I don't want to sink too much $ into refresh rate or unnecessary features on this one. Once I build a new PC, this PC/monitor will go out in the living room for home media/video editing/multi-tasking/occasional browsing/entertaining guests/casting to TVs. I built my current PC with mid-range parts circa 2014. It'll run 1080 pretty well, but I'm not sure about anything much larger than that.

I put some filters on Amazon and this is what I'm looking at.

These four catch my eye:
HP L3N74AA
LG 22MK430H
Asus VS228H
Philips 226E9QDSB

Is there a consensus on TN vs IPS? They seem to be about the same price.

Seems like you just need a generic 1080p monitor. Any 1080p IPS monitor with good reviews on Amazon should be fine, as long as a stand that looks OK to you and the connectivity you need. HDMI should be fine, having DP would be a nice bonus but isn't found on many cheap monitors.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

K8.0 posted:

Why 24" 1080p? Space constraints? Weak hardware? What sort of gaming?

It's mostly space constraints; I have a 24" monitor already, and I'd rather have a second monitor than get a bigger, but still single monitor. 1080p because... well, that seems to be the sweet spot for 24".

I ended up (pre)ordering the Pixio PX248 that they just listed on Amazon for $170USD.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

K8.0 posted:

Seems like you just need a generic 1080p monitor. Any 1080p IPS monitor with good reviews on Amazon should be fine, as long as a stand that looks OK to you and the connectivity you need. HDMI should be fine, having DP would be a nice bonus but isn't found on many cheap monitors.

I see some of these monitors come with Free Sync. What is that? Does it matter if my PC has an Nvidia card?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I see some of these monitors come with Free Sync. What is that? Does it matter if my PC has an Nvidia card?

FreeSync is opensource Gsync, basically what AMD uses and has now seems to be becoming the standard since many are now Gsync certified.

You absolutely care about having one of them.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
OK, great. I think I'm going to go with the Asus VA229HR, does that seem good?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Nvidia does not support AMD's Freesync over HDMI, so Freesync support on that monitor won't do you anything. That said Freesync on low-refresh displays is not that valuable anyway and the monitor will work fine for you.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

FYI, Dell's got the S2721DGF on sale for $430, but not shipping until November. Best Buy has it in stock and I was able to get them to pricematch.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/210-AXEH
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-ips-qhd-freesync-and-g-sync-compatible-monitor-with-hdr/6421624.p?skuId=6421624

Mine should arrive next week :toot:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

SO DEMANDING posted:

FYI, Dell's got the S2721DGF on sale for $430, but not shipping until November. Best Buy has it in stock and I was able to get them to pricematch.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-ips-qhd-freesync-and-g-sync-compatible-monitor-with-hdr/6421624.p?skuId=6421624

Is this worth a $50 premium over the LG? How much difference will there be?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

pik_d posted:

You get the USB Hub and Dell's fantastic monitor warranty service (should you ever need it).

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I'm thinking of picking up a new monitor to be my main display, bringing my total to three displays. My current two are both 1080p 60Hz. I understand Windows 10 has(had?) an issue with multiple monitors that have different refresh/resultion. Has that been resolved? Will I have issues if I add a higher resolution, faster screen?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

K8.0 posted:

Nvidia does not support AMD's Freesync over HDMI, so Freesync support on that monitor won't do you anything. That said Freesync on low-refresh displays is not that valuable anyway and the monitor will work fine for you.
Are there any equivalent Gsync monitors out there? All I can find at that range is FreeSync, the only Gsync monitors I can find are pricey.

Should I maybe go with an Acer XF240H to benefit from Gsync and 144Hz? This computer has a GTX 780. Anything else I should consider?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Are there any equivalent Gsync monitors out there? All I can find at that range is FreeSync, the only Gsync monitors I can find are pricey.

Should I maybe go with an Acer XF240H to benefit from Gsync and 144Hz? This computer has a GTX 780. Anything else I should consider?

There are some freesync monitors that has 'gsync compatible' label. In fact, the monitor you linked is one such example. Nvidia's marketing is uncanny like that. They even managed to get the popular 27GL850 to come with a gsync sticker on the front.

However I'm fairly sure your GTX 780 is an obsolete model and won't work with gsync-compatible monitors. I believe it has to be an actual gsync monitor (with a module).

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 12, 2020

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

SO DEMANDING posted:

Wait is this using the same panel as the 27GL850? Have people confirmed that it performs the same?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

780? That thing has a beard by now. Grab a cheap used 1080/2070 or something now that everyone is panic-selling theirs for the new 3000-series :sun:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a new monitor to be my main display, bringing my total to three displays. My current two are both 1080p 60Hz. I understand Windows 10 has(had?) an issue with multiple monitors that have different refresh/resultion. Has that been resolved? Will I have issues if I add a higher resolution, faster screen?
No issue with different resolutions, there was an issue with different refresh rates where if you watch a video or any other sort of active content (web browser, etc) on a 60 Hz display, all displays including the faster refreshing ones would drop to 60 Hz to match. But this has been significantly improved in the 2004 build of Windows 10 and happens far less often and less severely when it does.

Depending on your video card you may experience an issue with its idle clocks, nvidia cards stop dropping down to their lowest idle states when 3 or more displays are connected (so they go from less than 10w at idle, to ~30-50w at idle). The difference isn't huge, but if your video card normally turns off its cooling fans at idle it will stop being able to do that when you connect 3 displays. A workaround is if your PC has an iGPU, you can connect the third monitor to its output and it won't significantly increase the power consumption of the PC.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Indiana_Krom posted:

No issue with different resolutions, there was an issue with different refresh rates where if you watch a video or any other sort of active content (web browser, etc) on a 60 Hz display, all displays including the faster refreshing ones would drop to 60 Hz to match. But this has been significantly improved in the 2004 build of Windows 10 and happens far less often and less severely when it does.

Depending on your video card you may experience an issue with its idle clocks, nvidia cards stop dropping down to their lowest idle states when 3 or more displays are connected (so they go from less than 10w at idle, to ~30-50w at idle). The difference isn't huge, but if your video card normally turns off its cooling fans at idle it will stop being able to do that when you connect 3 displays. A workaround is if your PC has an iGPU, you can connect the third monitor to its output and it won't significantly increase the power consumption of the PC.

Thank you for the explanation.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

As a 3 display haver, it's overkill for home use. If you're doing it for work stuff, sure. I feel 2 is the right number otherwise. Mine was purchased for sim racing which I don't do anymore so it's a bit silly now IMO.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

pik_d posted:

As mentioned, the hub and warranty are nice. The main reason I went for it is availability, it's in stock and I should have it next week. The LG (83A I assume) was totally out of stock the other day, then it said in stock Sept 26, and this morning it says in stock Oct 15!

Pegnose Pete posted:

Wait is this using the same panel as the 27GL850? Have people confirmed that it performs the same?

Appears to be the same panel. Has a number of favorable reviews but I don't think there have been any super deep dives yet.
https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/dell-s2721dgf-panel/#post-60824

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Suburban Dad posted:

As a 3 display haver, it's overkill for home use. If you're doing it for work stuff, sure. I feel 2 is the right number otherwise. Mine was purchased for sim racing which I don't do anymore so it's a bit silly now IMO.

I've been using 2 for about 5 years. I can't count how many times I wish I had 3 - both for home and for work stuff. I'm sure after awhile of using 3 I'll eventually wish I had 4 but such is life.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My wife’s in the market for a monitor for her MacBook Pro. We have all the dongles and peripherals we need, so connectivity isn’t a concern, just price and quality. Edit: oh, in Canada btw.

So what are the options in the 60hz productivity space for IPS monitors in 1440p - 4K again? She loves the 4K 28” Acer that we got on sale (I just use it for my job) and I think she’d really enjoy an ultrawide as well, if there are any good ones.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 12, 2020

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Wibla posted:

780? That thing has a beard by now. Grab a cheap used 1080/2070 or something now that everyone is panic-selling theirs for the new 3000-series :sun:

I'm only looking for a new monitor for this computer right now, all my parts budget will being going towards a new computer that I'll be building soon. I like that Acer monitor because it seems like a very cost-effective modern 1080 IPS monitor. But if I could get something similar that also has Gsync, I would. Unfortunately all the Gsync 1080 monitors I can find on PCPP are in the $250-500 range, which far exceeds my budget for this monitor. Anything I'm missing?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

No. Gsync is stupid expensive because it involves a hardware module, it's not worth considering on a budget. The next step up that makes sense would be $160ish 1080p 144hz IPS Freesync monitors (which have full proper Freesync support) and then $350-400ish 1440p 144hz 27" IPS Freesync monitors which are pretty much the sweet spot for value for gaming.

I think a cheap 1080p monitor probably does make the most sense for you right now because it's cheap and also a good secondary monitor when you wind up wanting a higher res/higher refresh monitor after you build a new PC.

tuyop posted:

My wife’s in the market for a monitor for her MacBook Pro. We have all the dongles and peripherals we need, so connectivity isn’t a concern, just price and quality. Edit: oh, in Canada btw.

So what are the options in the 60hz productivity space for IPS monitors in 1440p - 4K again? She loves the 4K 28” Acer that we got on sale (I just use it for my job) and I think she’d really enjoy an ultrawide as well, if there are any good ones.

There are a ton of options and a lot of them are good. Monitors with good USB-C support are ideal for macbooks because you can power the macbook and drive the display with the same cable. You can find most of the ones you'd want to consider by searching 4k usb c on Amazon, although if you want to spend a lot (like $800-2000) there are some higher end options including 5k and ultrawides that might be worth it to you.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

K8.0 posted:

No. Gsync is stupid expensive because it involves a hardware module, it's not worth considering on a budget. The next step up that makes sense would be $160ish 1080p 144hz IPS Freesync monitors (which have full proper Freesync support)
How about the VIOTEK GFV22CB? It seems to fit the bill, has Gsync compatibility,
and seems fairly well reviewed. It seems pretty ideal.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It doesn't matter, "Gsync compatible" is just an Nvidia Freesync certification, it still requires a 10 series or newer GPU to function. Also that's a VA panel which (aside from a few very new and expensive Samsung panels) are not great for gaming, because they respond quite slowly. Also I don't think it's an actual "G-Sync compatible" AKA certified by Nvidia monitor, not that that matters but the marketing is weird like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I had an issue where Windows forgot the refresh rate for my monitor and I had to fix it a week or two ago, and I decided to run the Nvidia pendulum G-sync demo again. I don't remember it seeming that different when I messed around with it before, but holy hell it makes a difference when it's working properly. This is an older Freesync monitor that isn't officially "G-sync compatible" but it works great. I'd say the sync alone is a good reason for upgrades to the 10 series or newer GPUs.