Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

she's just OoT zelda in that she's utterly devoid of any kind of character or personality but she scowls more and doesn't even live a secret double life as a ninja. no thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Pirate Captain Tetra is best Zelda, fight me

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Best Zelda is irrelevant now that Sidon exists.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

RickRogers posted:

I wish Ghost Zelda appeared in a better game

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

romanowski posted:

I wish we had a full console sequel to WW

The DS games were fine but nothing like as good as WW

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

romanowski posted:

Same, I've never been able to get through replaying that because I hate the overworld so much. Like, "exploration" is probably in the top couple things everyone thinks of for the franchise, and you make an entire overworld where you're stuck on predefined tracks? :psyboom:
Probably my single least favorite idea in the entire series.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

Same, I've never been able to get through replaying that because I hate the overworld so much. Like, "exploration" is probably in the top couple things everyone thinks of for the franchise, and you make an entire overworld where you're stuck on predefined tracks? :psyboom:
Probably my single least favorite idea in the entire series.

The rabbit catching thing was a kick em' when they're down moment

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RickRogers posted:

She is until you take her to Hyrule's basement.

I love Windwaker, but I'm still mad how they shafted Tetra.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Electric Phantasm posted:

She is until you take her to Hyrule's basement.

I love Windwaker, but I'm still mad how they shafted Tetra.

Please do not bring up the enormous flaw in my argument, thanks

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

she does go back to living as Tetra at the end though so really she just needed some time to process the life-shattering revelation that she is the sole heir to an ancient royal dynasty for a kingdom at the bottom of the ocean

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

romanowski posted:

she's just OoT zelda in that she's utterly devoid of any kind of character or personality but she scowls more and doesn't even live a secret double life as a ninja. no thanks

HyWar's Zelda does! So HyWar Zelda is the best one.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Cartoon Man posted:

Skyward sword has the worst Zelda...

incorrect, this is the best zelda and she has an actual personality. its her, tetra and botw zelda. deal with it.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

incorrect, this is the best zelda and she has an actual personality. its her, tetra and botw zelda. deal with it.

This is so obviously true that it took me until just now to even realize that the post you quoted says worst and not best.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cartoon Man posted:

Skyward sword has the worst Zelda...

Clean clear design, fitting the tone and aesthetic of the game and character really well, a color palette that invokes something other bored grimness, and a personality that shines through the design alone?

Yeah no this is the good one. You got your thoughts swapped on this and the TP one.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Twilight Princess's character design sucks such dog poo poo Everyone in making this face }:| for a whole game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I got so bored and frustrated with how skyward sword played, everything about it was awful to me, including Zelda. But that was a long time ago, I’ll give it another chance when the switchmake comes out.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i havent played skyward sword but that zelda does look stupid

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Super No Vacancy posted:

i havent played skyward sword but that zelda does look stupid

Have your considered playing it, and also turning your monitor on

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I find it hard to call the Twilight Princess Zelda a design, since it looks exactly like the default Zelda, just slightly fancier. It'd be like comparing Mario in Galaxy to Mario in Odyssey.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
struggling with my zelda marathon because... i am struggling to play A Link to The Past. it has... not aged well. im sorry. its kinda loving boring in 2020 knowing i got GOAT links awakening next and then OoT/MM but i would rather go back and replay zelda 2 than continue playing zelda 3. (but, you know, the special edition on the japanese nesflix for the soundtrack and other weird poo poo it does)

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
If you're not having fun just go to the next one dawg

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Raposa posted:

Yeah seriously. If you don't like it, don't waste your time. This is why I'll never play zelda 2 (I tried it when it came out in the 80s)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Raposa posted:

but my brain is full of worms. i must see the credits with full hearts!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJh3D_zX0To

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Coffee Jones posted:

You find a girl who’ll sing to a walrus at the drop of a hat, you hold onto her, and you don’t let go.

This is yet another game I’ve started and stopped and lost my emulator saves over the decades. I’m already on my second play session by the time I meet Midna and the story gets rolling.

This is me but Skyward Sword.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Skyward Sword Zelda is the one I'd want to most hang out with, she seems like she'd be a fun friend

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

romanowski posted:

she does go back to living as Tetra at the end though so really she just needed some time to process the life-shattering revelation that she is the sole heir to an ancient royal dynasty for a kingdom at the bottom of the ocean

And then she gets scragged by an ancient evil posing as the Mary Celeste and has to be rescued again. Dammit Tetra.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Runcible Cat posted:

And then she gets scragged by an ancient evil posing as the Mary Celeste and has to be rescued again. Dammit Tetra.

She also eventually settles on a big old continent and reestablishes the monarchy.

Also invests heavily in trains

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Momomo posted:

I find it hard to call the Twilight Princess Zelda a design, since it looks exactly like the default Zelda, just slightly fancier. It'd be like comparing Mario in Galaxy to Mario in Odyssey.

He’s got a new hat!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Momomo posted:

That's not true! Her color palette is also horribly drained and she frowns a lot.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Zelda is an inherently boring archetype so unfortunately all Zeldas are bad by default. The best Zelda (WW) is an unrelated character, and it’s no coincidence her role in the story becomes incredibly bad as soon as you find out she’s Zelda. This point is so obviously true that it’s used to make Breath of the Wild’s princess sympathetic: You’d have to have a heart of stone not to be invested in her struggle to not be Zelda in a Zelda game.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

nrook posted:

Zelda is an inherently boring archetype so unfortunately all Zeldas are bad by default. The best Zelda (WW) is an unrelated character, and it’s no coincidence her role in the story becomes incredibly bad as soon as you find out she’s Zelda. This point is so obviously true that it’s used to make Breath of the Wild’s princess sympathetic: You’d have to have a heart of stone not to be invested in her struggle to not be Zelda in a Zelda game.

You could also argue that Link is a boring archtype too, and rarely has much character at all. Still, I don't think that's ever negatively impacted a Zelda game.

Just give Zelda a little more to do. I would love if they made her a playable character in BotW2. Make her play slightly differently, perhaps with more of a focus on magic/bow combat. Then let people change characters every once in a while and say the other one is off on another errand. I've love it.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Link is a non character, I know they try to give him a little backstory in most games but he is still my blank slate avatar that I will name Lurnk or Zelda or Rick whenever I can.

If people identify more with Zelda more and that's why they want to have her as their playable character, then I pity them.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

nrook posted:

look just because the series has been historically awful at doing interesting things with the princess doesn't mean it was somehow impossible from the start. don't blame this nebulous "archetype", blame the writers.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Put Malo in the new musou game you cowards

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Amppelix posted:

look just because the series has been historically awful at doing interesting things with the princess doesn't mean it was somehow impossible from the start. don't blame this nebulous "archetype", blame the writers.

I mean, they do more interesting characters all the time, like Midna in Twilight Princess. She's basically the anti-Zelda, personality-wise. But if she'd been revealed to be the game's Zelda that got turned into an imp or something, it wouldn't really change the story much.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Before this thread starts getting too serious:

https://youtu.be/FvxE6IUCPxU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Kassad posted:

I mean, they do more interesting characters all the time, like Midna in Twilight Princess. She's basically the anti-Zelda, personality-wise. But if she'd been revealed to be the game's Zelda that got turned into an imp or something, it wouldn't really change the story much.

she's a stock character, no different than anyone from the comedia dellarte

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

RickRogers posted:

Before this thread starts getting too serious:

https://youtu.be/FvxE6IUCPxU

A Thing of beauty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
My only real concern about Age of Calamity is the enemy side didn't really have any real representation in BOTW, the Yiga have their leader but unless the Blight Ganon's suddenly start talking and acting like generals then I'm not sure what we'll be fighting in the campaign missions as far as enemy officers go.