Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Prince of Persia (2003)

Prince of Persia (2021)

its an early alpha build it turns out, plus covid, and in india where working from home aint too great i've heard. gonna give them to benefit of the doubt and see if they add shadows by release. its 100% not coming out jan 2021 either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

here we go! 69 quid for the disc system. 499 for the discless system. to get you used to digital pricing shenanigans.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

I’m excited to hear Mark Cerny talk about how he broke into my house in the night and took photos of my inner ear.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

the press conference theme song got leaked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLBAFJWbd30

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat I will be at work when that starts

Only for the first half an hour though

Segaholic2
Jun 6, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Who is Segaholic2?

SHOW YOURSELF!

You rang?

I mostly lurk now but I am very excited to purchase the PlayStation 5 on Wednesday!

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

They’re going to show off the twist-ties used to bundle the power cord.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They're gonna go in hard at 599 and 399 aren't they?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I would actually be shocked in both directions if it’s not $500 for the disc version.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

FilthyImp posted:

How is that even feasible, $200 off for the discless version?

It'll be $500/$450 or $500/$400.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

it is wednesday my dudes

*ps2 startup noise*

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

No

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Dewgy posted:

*ps2 startup noise*
The amount of SKUs available for you to preorder depends on the number of game saves on your memory card, the price of each on your playtime. It is not inversely proportional.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dewgy posted:

it is wednesday my dudes

*ps2 startup noise*

I wouldn't mind that boot sound.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If the discless SKU is $399 then I will buy a 5 year sub to PS+

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I just bought 3 more years of PS+ this past week so now I'm subbed until June 2025. :haw:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm accidentally subbed through 2022 because I bought a sub around the time I normally do, then they had a PSN discount for a year and having forgotten I bought one earlier I grabbed one so I'm set I guess lol.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Bust Rodd posted:

If the discless SKU is $399 then I will buy a 5 year sub to PS+

I wonder if at this point they are debating internally if they could eat the loss per unit and make up with it through digital sales and go $299 for diskless just to slap their dick in Microsofts face.

Or $349 with 12 months of PS+ thrown in.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They can go super cheap on the digital version because you'll have to pay them for all your games. Still, 399/499 sounds reasonable enough.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

If I miss out on a preorder cause Wednesday is the only day of the week I work evenings, I’m going to pull Cerny’s wig off.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Housh posted:

If I miss out on a preorder cause Wednesday is the only day of the week I work evenings, I’m going to pull Cerny’s wig off.

Preorders won't start on Wednesday, they said they'll announce when preorders start in advance. Probably as part of this event.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The diskless will not be 299

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The diskless will not be 299
Yeah, it's not supposed to be different from the regular PS5

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Achmed Jones posted:

Thank you!

E: wait, is it accurate to say that "wrong RAM" is a big complaint? If so, lmao

From looking at specs I think there’s a lot wrong with the S. Memory is definitely the most stupefying though.

I thought the X segmenting it’s memory into two blocks that run at different speeds definitely reeked of overly cute engineering for no solid purpose, but whatever. Then S reduced the amount of memory, reduced the clock speed, and kept the segmentation, with the slower pool not having enough to really support the 2.5 gig they planned to set aside for the OS in the X. I was confused at how this was going to play out the way Phil was claiming (games just running at 1440 with everything else about them performing the same as on the X). The gpu also looks like a huge issue, but, I said to myself “self, you are neither a developer nor a console hardware engineer; stop pretending you know how this will play out”.

Then I saw an ID dev on Twitter talking about how the S is going to be a nightmare to develop for and possibly gently caress their whole generation because many devs will only bother optimizing for minimum spec, since it’s going to be an expensive headache to make anything next gen run on a console that in many ways is slower than the fastest Xbox One variant and I was like, lol, welp. ID devs will optimize Doom 2016 to run on your fridge for the same reason people climb Everest; that response from one of them is kinda damning.

Also lol that apparently the die hard MS crowd have hung their hat on the idea that the SSD will be used to create limitless pools of extra super fast memory, thus overcoming the limitation. It’s the cloud computing debacle from the beginning of last generation all over again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah it's insane that MS is making a gimped console. I totally understand the idea of having a premium version and regular one, but that's not how you do it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's such a weird move. I always thought it was going to be the same idea behind the disc and discless versions of the PS5 - same console, just without the drive.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah it's insane that MS is making a gimped console. I totally understand the idea of having a premium version and regular one, but that's not how you do it.

don't kinkshame, the console loves it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think having a $300 box at launch is a big deal.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
At this point Microsoft has completely given up the ghost on new users and they are just embedding themselves as an Apple-like: the people who buy Microsoft products will buy whatever has the logo on it, because it has a familiar UI and all your passwords are already saved to the cloud.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Rinkles posted:

You are right they should have just kept making the One X. It can actually do 4K.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The CPU on the One X was a piece of poo poo, they made the right call

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Rinkles posted:

It’s a big deal in that it helps your first quarter when you have to go before your investors, maybe. Depends on if if people bite. Longer view they’re setting their generation up for aggressive mediocrity, at best, before it even started.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Better CPU, wrong RAM again

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Bad Parenting posted:

Better CPU, wrong RAM again

Wrong ram, but so many more varieties!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Biggest red flag for me are idtech devs complaining about the ram on Twitter.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

mysterious frankie posted:

It’s a big deal in that it helps your first quarter when you have to go before your investors, maybe. Depends on if if people bite. Longer view they’re setting their generation up for aggressive mediocrity, at best, before it even started.

They’re basically betting that price and convenience are going to trump bleeding-edge graphics and that’s a bet I’d take too

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Only problem is when we get in the situation that the id dev was talking about, when developers are making multiplat titles, the lowest common denominator (series s) drags everything else down

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
Is the price point between consoles a real thing anymore though? I'd've thought parents these days would be more discerning about buying a gimped console.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Mystery Steve posted:

Is the price point between consoles a real thing anymore though? I'd've thought parents these days would be more discerning about buying a gimped console.

No way the Switch would be selling as well at $400 and PS4 just dominated a generation in part because of launch price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

morestuff posted:

They’re basically betting that price and convenience are going to trump bleeding-edge graphics and that’s a bet I’d take too

I’m not arguing that they won’t be able to maintain a place in the market. I’m arguing that it’s a phenomenally stupid place and they’re doing it voluntarily. I don’t invest in them, so it doesn’t matter to me whether or not the bad hardware decisions are smart business decisions.