Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Rinkles posted:

Biggest red flag for me are idtech devs complaining about the ram on Twitter.

so doom for ps5 only then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

mysterious frankie posted:

I’m not arguing that they won’t be able to maintain a place in the market. I’m arguing that it’s a phenomenally stupid place and they’re doing it voluntarily. I don’t invest in them, so it doesn’t matter to me whether or not the bad hardware decisions are smart business decisions.

Is it though? RAM aside, how many people own or are likely to buy a 4K tv? If MS has an option at $299 and Sony doesn't, that's not great for Sony.

It doesn't matter for most of the people in this thread anyway, we're here for the exclusives, but your average person walking into best buy for something to quiet the kids down for a god drat minute isn't gonna be talked into upgrading their whole entertainment system. They're just gonna walk out with the cheapest video game box, and they'll probably have a ton of fun with it and not care about the odd frame drop.

The series S isn't for you or me, but it's gonna sell like fuckcakes if it's the only option at 3 hundo.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The series S isn't for you or me, but it's gonna sell like fuckcakes if it's the only option at 3 hundo.

Unless they have Nintendo Switches in stock, and bright colorful cardboard cutouts of Mario, Link, and Pikachu

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i think people prefer to play games on their consoles. MS thinks otherwise.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Bust Rodd posted:

Unless they have Nintendo Switches in stock, and bright colorful cardboard cutouts of Mario, Link, and Pikachu

Yeah, that's a big "unless", Nintendo better be running their north pole elf slave factories at full tilt

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah, that's a big "unless", Nintendo better be running their north pole elf slave factories at full tilt

that's why they've had troubles meeting demand. north pole melted.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Is it though? RAM aside, how many people own or are likely to buy a 4K tv? If MS has an option at $299 and Sony doesn't, that's not great for Sony.

It doesn't matter for most of the people in this thread anyway, we're here for the exclusives, but your average person walking into best buy for something to quiet the kids down for a god drat minute isn't gonna be talked into upgrading their whole entertainment system. They're just gonna walk out with the cheapest video game box, and they'll probably have a ton of fun with it and not care about the odd frame drop.

Anybody who buys a new TV buys 4k these days. It's hard to find anything else.
Plus Sony does have a 299 option. The PS4 Pro.

I am not so sure about the S dragging everything down. If it simply renders content at 1080p instead of 4k that should theoretically mean a lot less load because of the lower resolution, so it could be fine.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Vikar Jerome posted:

i think people prefer to play games on their consoles. MS thinks otherwise.

Yeah they still want to make it home entertainment system which is a decent selling point but like shouldn’t be the main one

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hopper posted:

I am not so sure about the S dragging everything down. If it simply renders content at 1080p instead of 4k that should theoretically mean a lot less load because of the lower resolution, so it could be fine.

Yeah I sell TVs for a living and just about anything that isn't a super-budget model 32 inch or less 720p Roku TV starts at 4K.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Hopper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEOuKH-W8yM

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Hopper posted:

I'll take the engine dev at id's word over yours I think

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

lol that popped into my head before i even saw your post. the power of those days. the sheer arrogance.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Hopper posted:

I really like the marketing and overall business strategy that Microsoft is going for with Game Pass, PC gaming, and the Xbox franchise. They are offering decent affordable service across many different platforms at sensible price levels.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean yeah everything that Microsoft does that isn’t related to its console is solid

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Howard Phillips posted:

I really like the marketing and overall business strategy that Microsoft is going for with Game Pass, PC gaming, and the Xbox franchise. They are offering decent affordable service across many different platforms at sensible price levels.

I really don't have a problem with SONY being the Ferrari of gaming

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Still picking up a PS5 because I'm invested and like their exclusives. But I can see myself picking up a Series S in a few years when it's like $150 and I can play slightly compromised versions of AAA titles for $5 a month

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean yeah everything that Microsoft does that isn’t related to its console is solid

Have you USED a PC recently?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Have you USED a PC recently?

I don’t pay much attention to their PC stuff, I only care about them in relation to the Xbox

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008
I have a suspicion the disc-less version of either console won't sell that well. I tried looking around for XBOne digital edition unit sales, and couldn't really find anything positive. The only time it saw a bump in sales was when they did massive discounts on it last black friday.

Hardcore console gamers are gonna buy the regular versions anyway, with the disc-less being aimed at casual gamers, and parents buying for their kids. I wonder how many parents see the the price tag on the disc-less version and say "and you can't buy actual games for it?". I think they've misunderstood an increase in digital sales for convenience, thinking people don't want the option of a disc drive, even if they buy 80% of their games on PSN/Xbox Marketplace.

The PS5 version might fare better as it's the same console, but it seems XBox might have actually poo poo the bed completely having less storage/power.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bust Rodd posted:

I really don't have a problem with SONY being the Ferrari of gaming

*snicker*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
windows 10 yells at me at least once a day, every day, because i do not have a password for an account that does not exist on my computer

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Disc PS5 is for bfs and digital PS5 is for gfs

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Subbz posted:

I have a suspicion the disc-less version of either console won't sell that well. I tried looking around for XBOne digital edition unit sales, and couldn't really find anything positive. The only time it saw a bump in sales was when they did massive discounts on it last black friday.

Hardcore console gamers are gonna buy the regular versions anyway, with the disc-less being aimed at casual gamers, and parents buying for their kids. I wonder how many parents see the the price tag on the disc-less version and say "and you can't buy actual games for it?". I think they've misunderstood an increase in digital sales for convenience, thinking people don't want the option of a disc drive, even if they buy 80% of their games on PSN/Xbox Marketplace.

The PS5 version might fare better as it's the same console, but it seems XBox might have actually poo poo the bed completely having less storage/power.

I think you may be right at this current point in time, but I have a feeling the popularity of the discless vs disc versions of these systems will flip by the end of this next generation.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For the two of you that care, there'll supposedly be a free Borderlands 3 PS5 upgrade announced today. 4k 60fps.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t pay much attention to their PC stuff

Yes

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I meant console in the most literal sense ie the physical console

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pulcinella posted:

What? No he can definitely be 2nd (not counting the Intro boss fight where you get your arm cut off.) You can fight Gyoubu and then him. It’s also possible to defeat lady butterfly before him as well the false corrupted monk (but that one is very unlikely for a new player)

Unless you glitch you must fight Chained Ogre and Blazing Bull in order to progress, but you can skip a number of lower samurai, etc. If you want to say that they don't count as bosses then I will clap back that all of the skills learned fighting Ogre, Gyobu, Bull, lesser samurai, and even LB and Drunkard are both necessary and useful to progress to the top of the castle.

He's not the second boss, he's just a possible second Soul Memory, but as we already know Soul Memories don't directly correspond to challenge level.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

:eyepop:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
wow i googled it and like half of america already has a 4k tv, loving crazy.

i think my point still stands though, 299 is a good place to be, especially when the market collapses in *checks watch* any loving second now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I think I spent more time on Lady Butterfly than any other boss, because she was such an early boss and I was still getting into the groove of things. When I finally beat her I felt like a god

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

warms the heart

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1304464951650783238

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Most people like to play games on their console.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

no loving way

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

we live inside a dream

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Bad Parenting posted:

I'll take the engine dev at id's word over yours I think

Isn't the same as a pc with lower specs? Wouldn't turning down all the graphics to low be enough to keep it from limiting how good multiplatform games can be?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Rad Valtar posted:

Most people like to play games on their console.

and with physical media!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rad Valtar posted:

Most people like to play games.

"yeah but wait but AAA single player games are dead and nobody likes them!!! that's wrong?? oh no oh god we hosed up again"

- the entire video game industry except sony

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

My prediction: PS5 at $599/$499 for full/digital

If they could have announced at a sane price and not gone into the red with the custom SSD and hardware I think they would have done it already.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Not that surprising with how Microsoft lost the last gen - people have their digital game library on the Playstation ecosystem now and would lose it all (plus not get the free upgraded versions) if they switched to Xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

BitBasher posted:

My prediction: PS5 at $599/$499 for full/digital

If they could have announced at a sane price and not gone into the red with the custom SSD and hardware I think they would have done it already.

The last report early in the year was that the cost to make one was around $450 so it would be really weird to sell it at $600 when they sold the PS4 at a loss initially. I’m guessing they will match Microsoft at $500 for disc and then discless will be either $450 or $400.