Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

CainFortea posted:

I might do Lexx after i'm done doing Farscape. I promised the OP in the farscape thread that i'd do at least through season 2. But I gotta tell you it's getting harder and harder.

If you inexplicably want out after season 2 then I can at least say you'll definitely have given it a fair chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

But Lexx makes Farscape look like squeaky-clean TNG, and I don't just mean the production budget. Weirdest show I've ever seen.

Mind you, I'm still complimenting it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You don't watch Lexx. Lexx happens to you when you run out of TV.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I will admit only part of it is that I am watching more TV shows on my actual TV which is no where near my computer, so doing my whole stream of conscious posting while watching it wouldn't work anymore.

The other part is i'm starting to hate every single person on that show except Pilot.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The good thing at least is, although I could be wrong, you'll probably hate fewer characters in Lexx. The other good thing is, you're still really early in Farscape.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Anyway back to Severed Dreams, I've watched B5 several times and it's still kind of shocking how good the CGI is by this point. It really sneaks up on you.

I mean in comparison to season 1 it's like it already got a remaster.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've probably watched that episode 50 times. It is awesome.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

The good thing at least is, although I could be wrong, you'll probably hate fewer characters in Lexx. The other good thing is, you're still really early in Farscape.

Farscape is poo poo Lexx with muppets. And then there's the non-human cast...

In Lexx you'll almost definitely hate one character because nobody can like both Stanley and 790 but that's intentional, so roll with it. The only drawback to watching it now is you can only see the re-edited version of the first TV movie, which makes the plot harder to follow by moving one character's backstory to a later episode. Also only Seasons 1-3 are on Amazon Prime, so you'd need to find S4 somewhere. I have it on DVD, so I'd be down for a watchalong once I finish with B5 - I just got to The Exercise of Vital Powers.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

In Lexx you'll almost definitely hate one character because nobody can like both Stanley and 790 but that's intentional, so roll with it.

There are NO likeable characters in Lexx.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MikusR posted:

There are NO likeable characters in Lexx.

The Lexx is a likeable character. :colbert:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

LEXX IS ON PRIME??

... how do I watch without my wife seeing it on there?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

LEXX IS ON PRIME??

... how do I watch without my wife seeing it on there?

Prime does profiles now.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
I tried to watch Lexx once.
3 bottles of whiskey later I still wasn't certain the gently caress am I watching

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I tried to watch Lexx once.
3 bottles of whiskey later I still wasn't certain the gently caress am I watching

They key is skip the whisky and go for the absinthe.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lexx was the one with the giant cock and balls starship right?

Edit: yep.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Anyway back to Severed Dreams, I've watched B5 several times and it's still kind of shocking how good the CGI is by this point. It really sneaks up on you.

I mean in comparison to season 1 it's like it already got a remaster.

<doublechecks which thread I'm in>

I've shown the three episode arc ending in Severed Dreams to people as a movie. It stands on its own as a 2+ hour SF movie with compelling drama and great effects. They loved the whole Mars sequence in that, which was beautifully creepy.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I absolutely stand by the view that if you only watch the first and last episodes of the original miniseries of Lexx, you have a pretty decent, imaginative and weirdly entertaining sci-fi show that is like nothing else you've ever seen.

Beyond that - even though you'll miss Tim Curry and Rutger Hauer thoroughly hamming it up in the other two episodes of the miniseries - you rapidly go beyond diminishing returns to actively hurting yourself.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

I absolutely stand by the view that if you only watch the first and last episodes of the original miniseries of Lexx, you have a pretty decent, imaginative and weirdly entertaining sci-fi show that is like nothing else you've ever seen.

Beyond that - even though you'll miss Tim Curry and Rutger Hauer thoroughly hamming it up in the other two episodes of the miniseries - you rapidly go beyond diminishing returns to actively hurting yourself.

Gonna call you out as full of poo poo there, boyo. Watching Super Nova is justified purely for the scene with the Time Prophet. S2 is at least 50% great episodes - Lyekka, Lafftrak, Wake the Dead, 791 and Brigadoom are the highlights - and S3 is just good all the way through. S4 was a dip in quality overall and P4X is the absolute nadir of the show (and not far off the nadir of TV period), but I rate the final episode of the show on the same level as Sleeping in Light.

What I'm saying is if you like your spaceships five miles long, you can't go wrong with Lexx.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Midjack posted:

Lexx was the one with the giant cock and balls starship right?

Edit: yep.

Reversing cock!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Brigadoom is the first episode I saw and it hooked me. Great recap of Kai's backstory and catch-up to (plot spoilers for season 2) the impending literal death of the entire universe as it's consumed by self-replicating machines and then the season finishes real strong from there.

S2 is probably the best of Lexx but I did enjoy S3 and S4 too, I would not deprive anyone of President Priest in S4.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Lexx, at least the first season of films, is like a 90's FMV game without the game.

And defaulting to all the wrong choices and puzzle solutions.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Lexx is extremely 90s Canadian dark erotic comedy sci-fi

It's not a huge genre but man there is nothing else even remotely like it.

Forever Knight is kind of close but too mired down in cop drama.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pentyne posted:

Lexx is extremely 90s Canadian dark erotic comedy sci-fi

It's not a huge genre but man there is nothing else even remotely like it.

Forever Knight is kind of close but too mired down in cop drama.

I thought that would be Cleopatra 2525

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Killed off disc 1 of S5 this evening. It's much weaker than I remember. In fact, I'd go so far as to say Byron is actually the best and most interesting thing about it. He's clearly a cult leader, and despite his professed pacifism he has no more respect for non-telepaths than Bester does. I'm now imagining a parallel universe where Downes was a couple of years older, and he exchanged parts with Jason Carter. To my mind Marcus would work better as an idealist in his early 20s, and based on Carter's performance in Demon Under Glass he would have carried Byron's darkness more convincingly.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jedit posted:

Killed off disc 1 of S5 this evening. It's much weaker than I remember. In fact, I'd go so far as to say Byron is actually the best and most interesting thing about it. He's clearly a cult leader, and despite his professed pacifism he has no more respect for non-telepaths than Bester does. I'm now imagining a parallel universe where Downes was a couple of years older, and he exchanged parts with Jason Carter. To my mind Marcus would work better as an idealist in his early 20s, and based on Carter's performance in Demon Under Glass he would have carried Byron's darkness more convincingly.

Remember the lead telepath from A Race Through Dark Places ? Fellow with a limp and a lisp ? Imagine they brought him back for the cult leader role and don't change a single one of Byron's lines.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Remember the lead telepath from A Race Through Dark Places ? Fellow with a limp and a lisp ? Imagine they brought him back for the cult leader role and don't change a single one of Byron's lines.

Gianin Loffler wouldn't fit in Byron's role. He's not really a leader, he's a spokesman for his group and that group have all suffered genuine grievances. Byron is not honest or genuine and it's obvious almost from the first. He doesn't want to be left in peace, he wants nobody telling him what to do.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Byron’s an embittered ex-psicop who grew his hair long, which is a less interesting character than a Marcus or that guy who played Gaius Baltar type; both are far more believable as charismatic cult leaders.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedit posted:

Gianin Loffler wouldn't fit in Byron's role. He's not really a leader, he's a spokesman for his group and that group have all suffered genuine grievances. Byron is not honest or genuine and it's obvious almost from the first. He doesn't want to be left in peace, he wants nobody telling him what to do.

i think it would have been amazing. i mean the lines were bad but the daytime soap way they were deployed was worse, it needed something to shake it up. he could also have beefed up lyta's role a lot more, byron needed something to push against

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
And lovely account Incelshock Na again posting spoilers in the Newbie thread.

I don't want to call attention to it cause at this point the newbies have probably not seen In the Beginning...they know Sinclair was chosen and that "Minbari souls were being born into humans" but don't know the FULL details from "War Without End" with Sinclair literally becoming Valen and spurting human DNA all over the drat place.

Like...it being Sinclair SPECIFICALLY is what caused the Triluminary to go batshit around him, it wouldn't have done that with any other human, right? Because of that, they do deeper DNA/"soul" or whatever scans on the other humans and it comes back as "yep, humans and Minbari are related." but they probably wouldn't have done those deeper scans if the Triluminary didn't light up with Sinclair.

V V V Past seeing that Sinclair was abducted, yes, but not past War Without End. Sorry for calling you lovely, but we try not to post anything even close to a spoiler over there. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 16, 2020

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
I can spoiler it if you'd like. They are all past that point in the show now and I was intentionally extremely vague to be on the safe side.

Incelshok Na fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 16, 2020

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I don’t think that word means what you think it means.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doctor Zero posted:

I don’t think that word means what you think it means.

"Wave" in French?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Oh boy, they're getting to the real juicy bits in the watch thread.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:getin:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
The Doctor is going to be so disappointed when he realizes General Hague decided to do a DS9 and so got killed off off-screen...

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Hague getting killed off screen was a good device for showing that stuff is happening no matter what the b5 crew is doing. Gave the whole situation a bit of gravitas even if it was somewhat improvised.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Zaroff posted:

The Doctor is going to be so disappointed when he realizes General Hague decided to do a DS9 and so got killed off off-screen...

Too busy doing a coup to do a coup.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jedit posted:

I found any scene where Byron walked onscreen and started his ever-calm "we are peaceful :geno:" rehetoric to just slam the brakes and make the scene completely boring until they could get him to go away.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I found any scene where Byron walked onscreen and started his ever-calm "we are peaceful :geno:" rehetoric to just slam the brakes and make the scene completely boring until they could get him to go away.

Nah, it's good to watch him crack at the end. I'm finally past that arc now, though, which makes me happy. Ten episodes left, then I'll probably try and find the movies. I may even watch Crusade, Legend of the Rangers and The Lost Tales as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jedit posted:

Nah, it's good to watch him crack at the end. I'm finally past that arc now, though, which makes me happy. Ten episodes left, then I'll probably try and find the movies. I may even watch Crusade, Legend of the Rangers and The Lost Tales as well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!