Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

thotsky posted:

I guess it's implied that her credibility as a witness is completely destroyed once the murder charge is proven to be false.

Except Troi says that she believes she is telling the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

I still have my fingers crossed that by the time we get to that, things will be going slightly better :pray:

You better have alot of fingers

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Sir Lemming posted:

I still have my fingers crossed that by the time we get to that, things will be going slightly better :pray:

By the time you get to it, you’ll be watching it from your very own Sanctuary District!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Man, Past Tense seems so optimistic nowadays. the sky isn’t even bloodred like some Boschian vision of Hell

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Yeah, but like, she's could still be a crazy person. Honesty does not preclude that. One could give the writers the benefit of the doubt that they simply forgot all about the other accusations, but...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

People honestly believe they remember all sorts of things that aren't true. Look up "recovered memories" and the Satanic Panic of the 1980s for an extreme example. But we do it to ourselves in small ways all the time.

It's an interesting premise for an episode. (But I do admit that it's more than a little uncomfortable that the episode takes the false memory thing into rape territory and then only uses that as set-dressing for the sci-fi mystery, rather than fully committing to that thread and dealing with it.)

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 10, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

skasion posted:

Man, Past Tense seems so optimistic nowadays. the sky isn’t even bloodred like some Boschian vision of Hell
They also had Channel 90

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lol at the trope in 80s and 90s media when they used ridiculously tv high channel numbers to denote “its the future!”.

More channels equals more future, you see.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Telepathic scans, being subjective, are inadmissible as evidence. At least that's what B5 taught me.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

HD DAD posted:

Lol at the trope in 80s and 90s media when they used ridiculously tv high channel numbers to denote “its the future!”.

More channels equals more future, you see.

Well back when the PHYSICAL DIAL on the cable box only went up to 36, yes, it did.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sash! posted:

Well back when the PHYSICAL DIAL on the cable box only went up to 36, yes, it did.

Lord I miss the feel of that dial

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Brawnfire posted:

no bloody a, no bloody b, no bloody c

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
top ten dr crusher episodes

Remember Me 4.5
Attached 7.8
Suspicions 6.22
the Naked Now 1.3
True Q 6.6
Data's Day 4.11
High Ground 3.12
Ethics 5.16
the Host 4.23
Sub Rosa 7.14

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

We had a Pioneer BC-2002A, which turns out went to *37* because they skipped 1.

Hell if I know what the fine tuning knob actually did.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

No Luck Needed posted:

top ten dr crusher episodes

Remember Me 4.5
Attached 7.8
Suspicions 6.22
the Naked Now 1.3
True Q 6.6
Data's Day 4.11
High Ground 3.12
Ethics 5.16
the Host 4.23
Sub Rosa 7.14

Ok, I must be in a bad mood or something, it took me a few too many seconds longer than it should have to realize that was merely a list with episode numbers. I actually said out loud, "Who the gently caress rates Sub Rosa higher than almost anything else?" Incredibly powerful self-own

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Telepathic scans, being subjective, are inadmissible as evidence. At least that's what B5 taught me.

Didn't Admiral Seti's Betazoid aide use his telepathy for investigative leads?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Sash! posted:

I had an ancient TV in my bedroom that had dials for channel selection and no remote and UPN was channel 65 here and the dials didn't go that high so I couldn't watch Trek in my bedroom because UPN was the only channel that carried it here.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

skasion posted:

I say it every time that episode comes up, but the fact that the worst people in Past Tense are just well-meaning liberals who don't get it is so hilariously optimistic and out of touch that it hurts. No one is like "eh gently caress it they're poor just let them die" so the whole thing comes across as wildly unrealistic. Even the lovely security guard gets it by the end.

Also a handful of people dying is somehow enough to change things.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Nothing in Star Trek (or most TV, honestly) makes sense if real people are involved. It's best to just take it for the allegory that it is.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They all die in the atomic wars anyhow

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I know it's been talked to death, but the DS9 episode "For the Uniform" comes out of nowhere. It makes no sense to suddenly have Sisko go all captain Ahab; apparently he's been obsessing over the traitor for 8 months while slowly unraveling, but they've never shown us that. Sure, anger and passion are a part of Siskos character in a way that they never were for Picard, but that is still mostly as something bubbling under the surface; the explosiveness shown here doesn't feel earned.

A Star Trek episode about personal vendettas and war crimes should be on the table, but this episode doesn't even attempt to problematize and dissect those things, which is very un-Star Trek. I do like that we get to see more actual bridge operations, and the tension and melodrama does sort of work, but it is a very unfulfilling episode.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 11, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

thotsky posted:

but it is a very unfulfilling episode.

It gave us a pretty good meme though in "MAJOR turn that DAMNED thing OFF"

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

V-Men posted:

Didn't Admiral Seti's Betazoid aide use his telepathy for investigative leads?

Yes, but I don't think they used that as evidence during a trial so much as "we should look for evidence corroborating this and/or hammer him during testimony".

As to the episode, the wife hadn't filed charges for the assault and neither her or Riker believed they were being dishonest during testimony so they probably dropped it (whether because the wife realized her recollection was colored by her husband's death or her not wanting to publicize his attempt at murder is left to the viewer). It plays pretty icky now (and was still icky in the 90s) but I think the intention was the same as if they'd had two dudes give variations of "he started the fight, but I ended it".

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

thotsky posted:

A Star Trek episode about personal vendettas and war crimes should be on the table,

It certainly worked for The Wounded.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Try watching The First Duty, For the Uniform and In the Pale Moonlight back to back. I still think DS9 dropped the ball in the last couple of seasons with the Pah Wraith/Sisko's mom was a prophet storylines. Sisko should have resigned from Starfleet and/or been court-martialed at the end.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Talking betazoids - remember when Voyager had the psychopath betazoid who was one of the most interesting characters in the entire series, and then they killed him off because they didn't want to have anything complicated going on?
Everything must be clearly good and evil. Evil can only be redeemed by dying and then we don't have to deal with anything post-redemption.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB9Mj06j98Y

This is my favorite one of these yet

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/ToyBoxComix/status/1304526412997632001?s=20

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That one is so good, and took some real editing skill not to be bad

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I loled at cutting to the dead guy

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Admiralty Flag posted:

Ok, I must be in a bad mood or something, it took me a few too many seconds longer than it should have to realize that was merely a list with episode numbers. I actually said out loud, "Who the gently caress rates Sub Rosa higher than almost anything else?" Incredibly powerful self-own

I'm guessing more people did that than not. I dont mind admitting I did.

Also am I the only goon who likes suspicions, it's my tng guilty pleasure. Its ds9 compatriot is the recently mentioned empok nor.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

They made Keiko action figures? Man people would buy anything in the 90s

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

pentyne posted:

i like to think it was issued with the set in lieu of a phaser or engineering tools

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Statutory Ape posted:

i like to think it was issued with the set in lieu of a phaser or engineering tools

"Can I get the O'Brien figure without Keiko packaged alongside?"
"Trust me. You don't want that."
"I just want Miles."
"Nobody wants just Miles. Take Keiko. It's better for everyone."

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

That was incredible.

The only reason they shouldn't have rolled with this is that she probably outranked Troi in terms of Command staff.

Sadface.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

pentyne posted:

They made an action figure of Tom Paris half-transformed into a salamander

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I thought Keiko would've been packaged with Miles as a solid, uniformly colored piece of plastic that you have to snap off a frame that also includes a phaser and tricorder

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

pentyne posted:

They made a Tom Riker action figure.

(No, it didn't have removable sideburns.)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Who wouldn't want a Keiko action figure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

Who wouldn't want a Keiko action figure?

O'Brian.