Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Leal posted:

I'm seeing this

I don't much care for it but there doesn't seem to be an option to remove it

All I can do is just "submit feedback". How do I get rid of this wikipedia cross promotion

Yeah, youtube and twitter started putting up little notices when they see keywords like flat earth and covid so they look like they care about correcting misinformation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Casey Finnigan posted:

If someone makes videos and then asks viewers to pay for it, and then their viewers choose to do so by themselves, I find it hard to begrudge that.

Maybe their videos suck poo poo but people are giving them the money of their own free will. I'm not sure what the video maker is supposed to do. It'd be nice if they donated the extra to charity or something but you could say that about literally anything that produces an income.

It was a crime that Sargon was making 8k per month and Rubin was making 30k per month on Patreon.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Max Wilco posted:

You can criticize the racism in Lovecraft's work, but it's hard to come down on him as a person. He was a shut-in, who was paranoid of nearly everything, which probably helped fuel his racism. He was not right in the head. Plus, he made little-to-no money off of his work and was poor for most of his life. His wife left him after like two years.

from the biographical information i've read Lovecraft struck me as the kind of racist who when interacting with an individual person of another race would be like "no, no, you're one of the good ones"

hence why his wife had to keep reminding him she was Jewish when he would go on antisemitic rants

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

It says a lot about America that barely middle class in the Midwest and barely making rent on the coast amounts are seen as "raking in the cash"
it does but it doesnt change the fact that i feel it. idk im not saying they're bad people for getting dolla dolla bill off youtube and a decently successful youtube channel is a decent amount of work, and any idiot who could do nonbackbreaking labor for okay money would take it, but it doesnt change the fact that like, contrapoints talking about queer oppression when she passes well and makes money and connections specifically off being 'the trans youtuber' feels ludicrously insincere. i dont think thats an unfair criticism or made in bad faith. same with some guy talking about 'your boss' when he makes a living off youtube and doesnt have a secondary job. like, yeah, *my* boss, not yours, dont act like we're in the same boat here.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 12, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Endorph posted:

it does but it doesnt change the fact that i feel it. idk im not saying they're bad people for getting dolla dolla bill off youtube and a decently successful youtube channel is a decent amount of work, and any idiot who could do nonbackbreaking labor for okay money would take it, but it doesnt change the fact that like, contrapoints talking about queer oppression when she passes well and makes money and connections specifically off being 'the trans youtuber' feels ludicrously insincere. i dont think thats an unfair criticism or made in bad faith. same with some guy talking about 'your boss' when he makes a living off youtube and doesnt have a secondary job. like, yeah, *my* boss, not yours, dont act like we're in the same boat here.

Engels owned a factory.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Isn't contra a liberal though?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Apparently Destiny said in a Discord chat that he lost between 150k and 250k in annual income by being booted from his Twitch and Discord partnerships. It's absolutely mental to me that even a C-level Twitch streamer still rakes in that much cash. :psyduck:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Thats it I'm putting in my 2 week notice at my crappy retail job and I'm gonna stream every neptunia game ever made. I don't need 150k/yr, I'd be happy with a trifling 10% of that.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

This is probably why some people stop making youtube videos.

Instead of putting 100 hours into writing and editing a video that the algorithm will tank for being longer than 5 minutes. They can make buck on twitch just having a good time with their fans and mates.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JordanKai posted:

Apparently Destiny said in a Discord chat that he lost between 150k and 250k in annual income by being booted from his Twitch and Discord partnerships. It's absolutely mental to me that even a C-level Twitch streamer still rakes in that much cash. :psyduck:

Yeah if you get a couple thousand viewers consistently you're beyond set. He was probably making twice what he lost with donations and poo poo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Katt posted:

This is probably why some people stop making youtube videos.

Instead of putting 100 hours into writing and editing a video that the algorithm will tank for being longer than 5 minutes. They can make buck on twitch just having a good time with their fans and mates.

Realtalk, with 2020 I was expecting more output from the people I usually watch cause hey, everyone is staying home so I make more videos for them to see means more money

Instead most of them stopped making videos all together, and it wasn't because they died to covid. They all went streaming. This is like the millennial version of seeing the local park get paved over to build a shopping mall.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Leal posted:

Realtalk, with 2020 I was expecting more output from the people I usually watch cause hey, everyone is staying home so I make more videos for them to see means more money

Instead most of them stopped making videos all together, and it wasn't because they died to covid. They all went streaming. This is like the millennial version of seeing the local park get paved over to build a shopping mall.

I can feel it. I don't even like watching streams/podcasts. I like well edited and scripted videos.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

I get that, it doesn't change the fact that the amount they're "hiding" actually means less take home than an associates degree computer toucher.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Pretty sure that by age 65 any random carpenter or plumber will have more capital and more in retirement than most top 10 leftist youtubers.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The best thing is to do both YouTube and Twitch. Least that's what I think. Y'know, if you can anyways. Twitch has certainly benefitted hugely from lockdown, that's for sure.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I like my internet video people because of their videos. None of them are interesting enough people to carry streaming, it's impossible. I know I'm in the minority here but I fundamentally don't understand how people like streaming, it's so boring. Interesting things can happen, of course, but it's sandwiched between like four hours of nothing. I respect my time too much to do that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Katt posted:

There was a recent brouhaha when WWE CEO Vince McMahon forbid the wrestlers under his employ from having accounts for Twitch and Cameo and other third party deals because it could conceivably get them out from under his thumb. Lots of people want to hang out in Paige's Twitch stream and get that dopamine rush when she says their handle on air.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I like my youtubers for their well researched videos on a subject I care about.

Watching them "uhhhhhh" and "ahhhhh" their way through minecraft breaks my loving heart.

Same when I see them being jaded sarcastic assholes on social media when all their video content is centred around defiant optimism in face of institutional oppression.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I enjoy watching streams when I'm interested in someone's reactions to or experience with whatever they are streaming. Usually games, but there's a reason why people enjoy live riffing on movies/events too. It's just that some people are there for the personality and whatever they're streaming isn't important and I think if you're like me that gets really boring.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Sankara posted:

I like my internet video people because of their videos. None of them are interesting enough people to carry streaming, it's impossible. I know I'm in the minority here but I fundamentally don't understand how people like streaming, it's so boring. Interesting things can happen, of course, but it's sandwiched between like four hours of nothing. I respect my time too much to do that.

i mean i figure for most people it's background noise that they keep on a second monitor and occasionally pay attention to

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I used to watch people stream world record speedrun attempts and such. It was boring most of the time but every now and then they'd actually be on pace for a world record and sometimes they'd even get it. It's more exciting to see it live than watch a recording.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Sankara posted:

So like, a live TV show where you and a bunch of your internet friends can chat and share your reactions in realtime, and occasionally the main actor will interact with the audience, sometimes you specifically, especially if you toss money to them. A lot of people just passively have them on in the background and occasionally dip in and out of actively watching as well.

That said I'm with you, there's almost no streams that I've ever cared to watch

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
the shape of destiny's head is changing, which is affecting he behaviour and making him very erratic

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Big streams don't do much for me, but I have some friends who stream and when there's only ten people in chat it's just an internet hangout that happens to be set to Hollow Knight or whatever.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ash Crimson posted:

the shape of destiny's head is changing, which is affecting he behaviour and making him very erratic

I don't know why he's getting so much angrier he's engaged to a woman way out of his league.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Endorph posted:

If we're talking about independent youtube creators here, most of them would have held jobs at some point before they were successful enough to quit for full-time youtube dosh. Does no longer having a lovely boss aside from youtube itself invalidate their prior lived experiences? Or is there a specific point where they can't talk about that any longer because it's been X years since they had a retail job? I'm not fishing for a gotcha here, I'm just wondering what a youtuber worthy of taking seriously would be. Maybe you're picturing some specific political youtuber who's skated by on trust fund money while talking about the urgent need for an armed uprising of the workers I don't have the background to know? I do think youtube pushes for a level of personal "authenticity" in people that's invasive and off-putting and enables some pretty unhealthy parasocial feelings in followers, too.

Being advantaged enough that you can survive while you build a following on youtube, then having an inoffensive enough persona to seem approachable to a mass audience are certainly issues. I wouldn't say that they're things most of the frequently-discussed people are deliberately exploiting so much as indirectly profiting from by being lucky at the right times. Like, if they were really trying for top tier youtube success they'd be making Cinemasins-style crap or some other exploitative clickbait that's gradually overtaking everything on youtube as corporations and marketeers consolidate, and youtube's policies get more hostile to independent content creators who don't have the weight to throw around and fight copyright strikes, demonetization, or automated take downs of videos they may have spent weeks or months working on.

It's not a marketplace that seeks to platform minority or anti-capitalist voices, and that's without delving into how quickly you'll develop a following of psychos for saying anything politically charged as some sort of visible minority online.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
At this point there's enough variety of types of streams that it always comes off as weird to me when people write the entire concept off because they tried watching a couple and didn't like them.

I will say larger, popular channels are the worst when they indulge in the full parasocial bullshit of allowing every single follow, subscription, gift subscription, bit donation, whatever the gently caress to totally overtake the actual content of the stream. That poo poo is truly the worst.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
EDIT: Never mind.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 12, 2020

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

If I ever Did Youtube videos or a twitch stream i always wanted to give reading fairy tales a shot. Mostly as an excuse to wear my ren faire costume since doing that at an actual ren faire isn't possible or smart right now.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Rather than type up something that'll result in someone yelling at me about whatever dumb thing I said, I'll just post this, which maybe talks about part of the problem (and will still result in me getting yelled at).

https://twitter.com/annakhachiyan/status/1284969064029458434
:jerkbag:

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
youre going to get yelled at bc anna khachiyan is one of the worst people on planet earth

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

fun hater posted:

youre going to get yelled at bc anna khachiyan is one of the worst people on planet earth

Alright, I'll delete it.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i dont care about internet personalities anymore. i only care about korean cat videos which present a fanciful narrative in which the cats are my friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bW40r-6BWM

fun hater fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 12, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Katt posted:

I like my youtubers for their well researched videos on a subject I care about.

Watching them "uhhhhhh" and "ahhhhh" their way through minecraft breaks my loving heart.

Same when I see them being jaded sarcastic assholes on social media when all their video content is centred around defiant optimism in face of institutional oppression.

Truly the dichotomy best represented between Youtube Shaun and Twitter Shaun is a rough one. I love Shaun's videos to death. But then I look at his twitter and sometimes it's like "Yeah, he's right I guess." or "That's kind of funny". But I don't think I'd want to watch a video by Twitter Shaun. But also I really don't like streaming in general so as more and more creators move to streaming my options just kind of dwindle. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but I feel like there's just nothing really added to a medium when your entire commentary has to be improv and things like facecams have never been A Thing I've enjoyed because I want to watch the game, not some guy just staring at the screen and mumbling except when he gets a donation, except sometimes maybe he's wearing a silly hat that gets him more donations to read out loud. Plus, you know, the chats. Maybe I'm just bad at twitch but I could never figure out how to get rid of chats and there's nothing that makes a stream less engaging than seeing just an infinite wall of people spamming "poggers" for maximum engagement at all times.

It's me, I'm the old man yelling at clouds.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mecharichter and Romscout play their extremely broken Super Mario Bros 3 cartridges. Romscout's is broken from the get-go, while Mecharichter's levels up at some point midrun to self-destruct at random intervals instead of just making his HUD invisible. It's a good time for all, except those with epilepsy possibly since there's quite a lot of flickering and flashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NBe9vpcrw4&hd=1&t=459s

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 12, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Rather than type up something that'll result in someone yelling at me about whatever dumb thing I said, I'll just post this, which maybe talks about part of the problem (and will still result in me getting yelled at).

https://twitter.com/annakhachiyan/status/1284969064029458434

Anna K is the epitome a fame-chasing hollow woman without conviction or belief. She’s a dumbass mean girl eternally looking for someone to bully. The “cocaine is praxis” meme is about her specifically.

https://twitter.com/whysimonewhy/status/1143280089133699072?s=20

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Who?

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

stupid rear end brooklyn podcast drama. divert your eyes and ignore.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The video she quoted was dumb too because poor people generally don't vote. That video is titled "Cancel Culture Creates Racists". The Republican base is economically comfortable suburban and exurban whites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Cocaine was praxis in the 80s and look where that got us