Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

Its built on the land of the old Kaiser steel mill, that made the steel for the liberty ships in WW2. The land was basically considered unusable because of the decades of dumping slag and chemicals all over the place. Part of the deal with the EPA to build the track was that they would essentially plastic over the entire yard to prevent all the horrible poo poo in the ground from leeching up, then dump a comical amount of dirt on top of it all.

Normally I would say theres no way the EPA would let you build commercial or residential stuff on that site, but with now-a-days EPA, I'm pretty sure nobody would give a gently caress as long as you bribed the right folks.

I was going to say freeing up all that land to sell would net them probably as much as they invest on the project, but realizing the use-cases may be limited would impact that. Still might happen, though, the article suggests commercial usage:

quote:

There have long been questions about the Fontana track’s future, particularly as the land around the property skyrocketed in value as it shifted from crumbling steel mills to distribution warehouses. When NASCAR announced a partnership with real estate developer Hillwood in March, ACS became an obvious target for sale rumors.

saw it posted on Twitter and almost thought it was a prank, but thinking more, if it takes the California race from a snoozer and a Michigan clone to something unique, that would be worth it. Solidly closes the book on them bringing IndyCar back ever again, but it sounds like the old regime weren't going to ever consider it at all anyway (no clue if Roger Penske would hold by the "we're not hosting it in October at sunset like you want" stance but oh well).

as mentioned here's Gil de Ferran's record lap, nothing like hitting 250 mph on the straights to wake you up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF8GTL0_rMA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

harperdc posted:

I was going to say freeing up all that land to sell would net them probably as much as they invest on the project, but realizing the use-cases may be limited would impact that. Still might happen, though, the article suggests commercial usage:

saw it posted on Twitter and almost thought it was a prank, but thinking more, if it takes the California race from a snoozer and a Michigan clone to something unique, that would be worth it. Solidly closes the book on them bringing IndyCar back ever again, but it sounds like the old regime weren't going to ever consider it at all anyway (no clue if Roger Penske would hold by the "we're not hosting it in October at sunset like you want" stance but oh well).

as mentioned here's Gil de Ferran's record lap, nothing like hitting 250 mph on the straights to wake you up.

I know THIS IS NOT THE INDYCAR THREAD, but I've wondered if IndyCar was hesitant to return to California after the last race there after Ryan Briscoe lawn darted into the infield coming to the white flag. That race was one of the best races I've ever seen, but was also very pucker-worthy in case ^that^ happened, and I've wondered if it wouldn't end up looking like Texas (both NASCAR and Indy) if they went back.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 10, 2020

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Prior to this, my idea for California would have been take a measuring tape from the outside walls, measure 30-40 feet, bulldoze the rest of the racing surface, that is grass now. "THEY'RE ELEVENTY-BILLION WIDE' was never fun, you have a narrow as gently caress track now make your own room.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bubba Wallace is leaving RPM at the end of this season

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

driving the #48 ally chevrolet, Darrell Wallace Jr

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Peanut President posted:

driving the #48 ally chevrolet, Darrell Wallace Jr

Give Jimmie the 48 to take to CGR, resurrect the 5 or 25 in its place.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

Excited to see what he can do with top tier equipment

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1304134621034999808

Nice.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/RACERmag/status/1304181177557766144

nm was already talked about in the discord and i just forgot to scroll down, gently caress!!!

Cygni fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 11, 2020

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/_grosssssssss/status/1304174927784882181

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

they just can't help themselves, they need to post these things

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

harperdc posted:

Dario tells a story (he did it in an interview with Motorsport Magazine where he talked about crashing a DTM car with airbags lol) that the engines were allocated at the track and were all completely different and Gil pulled out on the track and as soon as he was accelerating knew straight away that some was very very right and he was going to go extremely fast lol.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

*STATS FROM WIKIPEDIA

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Takes so hot that they are fireable

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
NR2003 to the rescue

https://twitter.com/lefty_designs/status/1304127973856026630

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UALzrZVEpbU

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

Dillon looking like that guy this season

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

austin dillon is the dominant car tonight, what even the gently caress yo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kidcoelacanth posted:

austin dillon is the dominant car tonight, what even the gently caress yo

The Jimmie Johnson strat: win early, then tool on the car and finds what works and unleash it in the playoffs.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Suarez leaving Gaunt Brothers. Alright, whatever.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

Suarez leaving Gaunt Brothers. Alright, whatever.

Because it's being bought by Denny Hamlin and Michael Jordan and Bubba is gonna be the driver.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

this is what we call a big yikes

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 20, 2020

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

this is what we call a big yikes

does fbw mean something racist?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

guessing the bw stands for bubba wallace.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

ohhhh. i haven't thought about that whole fiasco in a while. it's weird to still be holding that grudge.

on a side note how great must it be to have a whole huge section at bristol to yourselves, in any circumstance other than this.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

bubba got a stage top 10, rough night for those adult kyle busch fans

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
LOL, get hosed, Liberty University #24

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
in all fairness watching from the sidelines while others power through to completion is the liberty way

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

great race

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
legit great finish.

poo poo bird drove his rear end off but turd had the motor/tires.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Are we sure ol' Jimmie should be planning to drive an open-wheel car? Those things don't tend to last quite as long as a stock car when you run around crashing into other cars every week...

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

stealie72 posted:

LOL, get hosed, Liberty University #24

this bothers me less and less now that i know that jerry falwell jr got fired on for taking sexy pics on rick hendrick's yacht

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

A Good Race.

maffew buildings posted:

in all fairness watching from the sidelines while others power through to completion is the liberty way

:vince:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ross Chastain to the 42 in 2021.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1308120889800552448?s=19

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

texas is absolutely one of my least favorite tracks on the schedule so that tweet was a roller coaster of emotions.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I'm okay with the all-star race just wandering the schedule every year.

Texas sucks though by any metric.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

in case you were feeling optimistic about hailie deegan for any reason still, here's her and her dad calling covid a hoax. good times!

https://twitter.com/TheHestercution/status/1308141702138474496

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

welp

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Let's take the All-Star Race from Charlotte and put it on a track that's basically the exact same track while moving a point paying Cup race to COTA.

Eddie Gossage probably isn't going to like this, but fans might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the all-star race at texas is basically non-news, it's a race no one cares about at a track no one likes

nascar @ cota is new and fun and cool