Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
The not-Drider looks more like a six-legged centaur than a spiderwoman.

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And this is how I found out that she wasn’t a centaur.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

What's with this pose in the last two panels? I think the bald wizard from the last chapter did it too. Is it an anime thing?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Karnak in that last panel looks like one of the guys from "Link: the faces of evil"

rollick posted:

What's with this pose in the last two panels? I think the bald wizard from the last chapter did it too. Is it an anime thing?
No, just one of the 3 or 4 poses Mookie draws.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I still can't get over how terrible Karnak's design is.
Like it's terrible but not even in the way you'd kind of expect from Mookie, especially given the other folks in Hell. It's not particularly edgy or metal. Like ask yourself what a horny 13 year old metal-head would draw when asked to draw a Demon Lord - even if you gave them the restriction it must be a relatively simplistic and humanoid design. Odds are it isn't Karnak you're imagining.
Hell, the fetish fuel Demon babes that exist solely to die for Mookie's boner are more interesting designs.

Yeah when I think of "demon lord" I think of a guy with like, claws and fangs and horns and big bat wings and goat legs and poo poo. This guy is just Sephiroth with his eyes gouged out.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Isn't Karnak's design 90% Magus from Chrono Trigger?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I seem to remember Mookie loving loving Karnak, and him getting a ton of edgelord moments where he dealt with all of Dominic's moments for him and even got a sort of redemption arc?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah when I think of "demon lord" I think of a guy with like, claws and fangs and horns and big bat wings and goat legs and poo poo. This guy is just Sephiroth with his eyes gouged out.

No, Karnak is the demon lord. Tim is just some guy. I don't know how you could confuse these deeply characterized and aesthetically discrete characters.

Billy Gnosis posted:

Looks like, yeah.

TheHan posted:

I seem to remember Mookie loving loving Karnak, and him getting a ton of edgelord moments where he dealt with all of Dominic's moments for him and even got a sort of redemption arc?

Oh, it's deeply terrible. You see Karnak's overblown ridiculous backstory in great detail in the "War in Hell" arc, I think. I won't go into further detail due to plot spoilers that are best experienced fresh, but yeah, he's one of Mookie's many darlings, inexplicably.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Invisible Clergy posted:

No, Karnak is the demon lord. Tim is just some guy. I don't know how you could confuse these deeply characterized and aesthetically discrete characters.

Oh that will show me for badly speedreading. Karnak's design still sucks but is a little more demon-lordy than I thought.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Billy Gnosis posted:

He is Magus combined with Dracula from SYmphony of the night.

Chapter 10 Ecstacy and Evil [Part 2]

Mookie is a 13 year old boy.

Here's the main plot hook for this arc, to which the Karnak nonsense is a related side-story.

Dominic has an off camera vision about something terrible happening in Sex Vegas. I say it's sex vegas because Erossus is not a city of every possible vice, it is a city of kinky sex. Again, if you want to see Mookie's sexual hangups, this is the arc for it. This entire arc feels like a immature nerd snickering about how he really thinks all this fetish stuff is weird and crazy, and wouldn't it be crazy to just do it, just try it? Huh, Huh? wouldn't it just be insane?

Just go have kinky orgies Mookie, get it out of your system.

So here's the trick, Luna's sister is intimately related to the family who Dominic had a vision about. Ok, fine, a way to get us invested. Obviously the sustem is retconned, but that happens in serialized works.

But....

Dominic is also related! In a weird an unnecessary double twist, The man Luna's sister married is Dominic's childhood friend. The story can never just be about Luna you see. Also she is some sort of Madam to a brothel in Sex Vegas

Again, self-awareness? A charactization of Dominic that Mookie thinks is a negative trait? Given what will follow, hard to say. It seems like this is framing Dominic as being a prude and repressed, but Dominic is never disproven about the degeneracy of the "hedonists". I think this is actually just a pure reflection of Mookie's own feelings. He doesn't like the sex-havers and their dumb conversations, making fun of his nerd hobbies and (presumed) virginity.

It feels like Mookie is literally a character out of an 80's highschool movie. And here's the thing, this sort of dichotomy was always weird to me.This nerd martydom I see all over the internet seems super self-imposed. Maybe my highschool experience was different or something, but this sulking resentment of sex, even as you assert your superiority over it, is just all over this comic and I really can't excuse even if Mookie was bullied as a teenager.

Greg can't come to Erossus, because Nurse Pam is going to be assaulted.

visions, just all purpose plot mortar. Don't worry about anything, just slap a vision on there and move on.

Gregory stays.

Another fish joke. THis is sub garfield lasagna at this point.

Possibly the laziest strip so far. Please note that despite being handdrawn and scanned in, that panel has clearly been copy-pasted and trimmed.

Chapter 10 Ecstacy and Evil [Part 3]

Much like all the flora in the Wild Edge, Stunt and Bumper just sort of pop up whenever the plot needs them.

the proper response to dominic

Again, never in any real danger, oh and look, once again Luna has cool magic powers she can use when the stakes aren't high and it can be a joke.

Just weird.

Filler, because this was actually a daily comic at this point.

Anyway the resolution is that Luna gave them the sniffles so that they won't be able to sneak up on them again. It's cutesy and wouldn't be a terrible idea, in a story that was less steeped in gore and awful poo poo like DD.

Anyway all this is just to establish why Stunt and Bumper are part of this arc. Bumper in particular is going to be important. Not gonna spoil it. (It's bad)

It has not been established in any way in the comic yet for the audience, but I want any new readers to know that Bumper is canonically "Semashi", which means he is black. The Semashi are a sort of Afro-latino culture (from the little we see of them) that is where all the more melanated humans (of which bumper is the only major character) come from. One characterization I remember coming up is that the Semashi kingdoms are politically unstable and go through new names and social organizations constantly. That never matters to the main plot, it's just offhandedly thrown in there at one point.

Yeah.

Again, Luna's damage is the worst. Look at this. This is the following strip

She just lets go with this self-deprecating nonsense, that doesn't even really make sense given what we've seen of her so far. Luna hates herself, but in a mutable generic way that actually starts to feel like neediness and manipulation. Just sighing about how she's horrible all the time, waiting for dominic to placate her.

Bad pun, but also I love how Dominic gets both vague delphic messages he needs to interpret and decypher, and also just straight exposition plot dumps about the status of people when he needs them. It saps the suspense out of eveything.

HERE COMES THE SEX HANGUPS

So, here Dominic uses his powers to I guess make a spy camera, through which they see her having sex. This instantly shocks and horrifies them. OK, it's her sister, fair enough, but Dominic's comment is something straight out of a tv sitcom. Ho ho ho, look at that contortionist slut.

Here he is. LIterally Dominic's dark mirror, straight out of a bad anime. It's Celesto!

Celesto is also a seer, having come to Erossus after seeing the same vision as Dominic. Because he is competent and not weighed down with his belonging after getting himself exiled, he makes it there first and, since he is a cool adult and not a sad, stunted prude, takes advantage of being in Sex Vegas to have sex.

Instantly Dominic starts in on the shaming, but...

It turns out Szark has grown up into a sexy anime androgynous pretty-boy how swings both ways! This is pretty important. Szark's whole arc is going to be about how he has given in to sin and pleasure at the expense of his soul. This sin is partially reflected in his dueling to the death, which you will see in this comic soon, but also in his bisexuality, which he moves away from to start pining after Dominic for the rest of the comic as soon as Dominic cures his soul.

This iteration of the "depraved bisexual" is so on the nose you would think a Troper wrote it.

Mookie also loves drawing the shockexd reactions to teh horrible filthy sex acts he can't even show (but is obviously imagining)

Here's the hook. Karnak actually attacked dominic and Szark 15 years back and gave Szark a wound that never heals. Again, this rural backwards seer now has being attacked by a necromancer and a demon lord in his childhood backstory.

Laying int on a little thick with your character for this campaign, Mookie.

Instantly dominic figures out the connection. See how I mean by up it's own rear end? This arc is tied into previous stuff in 3 ways already. This just ends up making the world feel really small.

See? totally unneccesary

Not much to say as a conclusion here as things are going to get much worse than this very fast, but I will say that reading it now it strikes me that Szark has to be from an anime. I want to say Escaflowne or something similar. I have not watched a ton of anime in my life, but a friend in highschool did lend me some box sets at one point, and he feels like some of the androgynous characters I remember from that.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 13, 2020

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

The Little Death posted:

the proper response to dominic

This is actually pretty funny to me since it's Dominic suffering consequences for being a smug rear end in a top hat and getting owned. I even like his text being small and in lowercase to show how he's in pain. This is one of those occasions where Mookie comes up with something good and then immediately backs away from it, when Luna instantly and harmlessly stops them from being a threat in the very next two pages.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

The Little Death posted:

Dominic is also related! In a weird an unnecessary double twist, The man Luna's sister married is Dominic's childhood friend. The story can never just be about Luna you see. Also she is some sort of Madam to a brothel in Sex Vegas
Any time Luna gets a new power, Dominic gets a new power with cheese. This also applies to story stuff, resulting in weirdness like this.

quote:

Greg can't come to Erossus, because Nurse Pam is going to be assaulted.
I know there are more significant sins in this arc, but it bugs the poo poo out of me that they consistently refer to her as "Nurse Pam" like a title. It's just going to draw attention to Mookie ripping her off from pokemon, and it's not like there are other Pams we need to keep her straight from.

quote:

Another fish joke. THis is sub garfield lasagna at this point.
What even is this joke? Like "filet" instead of "pay" ?

quote:

She just lets go with this self-deprecating nonsense, that doesn't even really make sense given what we've seen of her so far. Luna hates herself, but in a mutable generic way that actually starts to feel like neediness and manipulation. Just sighing about how she's horrible all the time, waiting for dominic to placate her.
That's definitely Luna's bag and it becomes more concretely codified once she gets over the constant suicide attempts and such. She will constantly fish for compliments when Mookie can't think of words that start with the same letter.

quote:

Instantly dominic figures out the connection. See how I mean by up it's own rear end? This arc is tied into previous stuff in 3 ways already. This just ends up making the world feel really small.
Like most of the conclusions Dominic jumps to, this one makes no sense. 15 years ago, Karnak wounded Szark. He's been satisfied to leave him alone until now. Why bother him now? Dominic doesn't know from his visions that Szark is the one in danger, and even if he were, Karnak is a demon lord and it's been 15 years. I'm sure he has lots of stuff he wants to do. Why would be send Tim to victimize someone in Erossus? Furthermore, why would Dominic assume Tim made a pact with Karnak? He could very well have a cursed wound that never heals (except when it totally healed) because Karnak attacked him too and he asked a different demon lord for powers to revenge himself on Karnak. Again, Mookie lacks theory of mind, so since he the author knows about this connection, so too does Dominic because no one can ever be allowed to outsmart him.

quote:

Not much to say as a conclusion here as things are going to get much worse than this very fast, but I will say that reading it now it strikes me that Szark has to be from an anime. I want to say Escaflowne or something similar. I have not watched a ton of anime in my life, but a friend in highschool did lend me some box sets at one point, and he feels like some of the androgynous characters I remember from that.
Mookie's art is so bad and generic, and the art style of the kinds of anime he watched from 2003 and prior was so cheaply done, it could be a variety of things or a generic style composite, but given that we've found several of the things he's copied so far, you're probably right. Escaflowne would be a good guess, but Mookie is incapable of drawing those characters' most distinctive features: their long, rectangular Doonesbury noses. I think if I had to pick a single character, Szark is most similar to Touga from "revolutionary girl utena," who is also a bishie swordsman who fights with a finesse-based weapon.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Wh... Why is Szark also saying Sin City? Instead of something normal he just says the name of the city he's in when he nuts?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It's subtle but now I'm remembering that Szark...may not be the straightest guy around.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

szark is so bored to be in this threesome

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Marin Karin posted:

Wh... Why is Szark also saying Sin City? Instead of something normal he just says the name of the city he's in when he nuts?

"Sin City" is his ejaculation catchprase

I wanted to complain about this too. I'm glad I'm not alone. I imagine he was in the middle of as you know Bob/maid and butler dialogue with the other members of his polycule. "Ah, I love being in a nontraditional relationship in Sin City!"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

TBH I wouldn’t have minded if the twist that they’re in an open marriage hadn’t been used as an “EW SEX THINGS” author commentary. Or if it had been used as a way to foreshadow that Szark is just plain gay, but still hasn’t consciously realized it for himself yet. Like, have someone make a throwaway comment about how they only ever have other men join them in their trysts, for example?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

It doesn't help that this is the only open relationship in the comic. That is also a harmful stereotype about bisexual men and bisexual erasure, too though. Treating being bisexual as a stepping stone to coming out as fully gay implies that that phase was not a permanent state someone can choose to live in. What Mookie chose to go with is definitely bad, but that wouldn't really be better since once more, Szark is the only queer man in the comic besides Celesto.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Invisible Clergy posted:

It doesn't help that this is the only open relationship in the comic. That is also a harmful stereotype about bisexual men and bisexual erasure, too though. Treating being bisexual as a stepping stone to coming out as fully gay implies that that phase was not a permanent state someone can choose to live in. What Mookie chose to go with is definitely bad, but that wouldn't really be better

You know what though, it could have been ok, if. iiiiiiifffffffffffffff. Celesto had stayed bi. As it is is, Szark is and remains the only important non-straight character in the comic. There are men who experiment with both men and women before deciding they prefer men, and that's ok! Nto every representation of a minority character needs to be some flawless reflection of an ideal type. But if your characters only exist for tokenis then is says something when you frame the only instance of bisexuality in the comic as directly paralleling the corruption of the charactes soul, and having everybody react like bisexuality is a taboo perversion.

Celesto, despite sleeping with Szark, doesn't seem to ever express any homosexual desires after this point, and in fact doesn't seem to care about Szark at all even though he met both Szark and Amelia at the same time. So again, Mookie's only depiction of something other than boring monogamous heterosexuality is here.

Szark is also a terrible stereotype in otherways, most notably pining for Dominic even after all these years. Just being the saddest, sad gay with the unrequited love for the straight dude, who knows, and still loves him as a friend, but "not that way". I can only assume this is what Mookie thinks he would do if he had any gay friends. They would just be aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll over him. But he would resist.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Fair enough on that front, I’m self-admittedly not particularly familiar with the issues of bi erasure in media, so I honestly hadn’t thought of it from that angle. I think we can all agree that Mookie handled it in a not-great manner, either, considering that his ultimate fate as the one openly gay major character (IIRC) is to... have an unrequited love. Especially when almost everyone else gets paired up with someone.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

hooting about mookie’s obvious kidding on the square prudishness

also I don’t think dominic’s “run-ins with necromancers and demon lords” backstory and present “backwoods seer” would be incompatible if he had like previously decided that he was going to run away from all this ludicrous Child of Destiny bullshit and live a quiet life and the story was basically The Call busting down his door. but, y’know, mookie

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

The Little Death posted:

You know what though, it could have been ok, if. iiiiiiifffffffffffffff. Celesto had stayed bi. As it is is, Szark is and remains the only important non-straight character in the comic. There are men who experiment with both men and women before deciding they prefer men, and that's ok! Nto every representation of a minority character needs to be some flawless reflection of an ideal type. But if your characters only exist for tokenis then is says something when you frame the only instance of bisexuality in the comic as directly paralleling the corruption of the charactes soul, and having everybody react like bisexuality is a taboo perversion.

Celesto, despite sleeping with Szark, doesn't seem to ever express any homosexual desires after this point, and in fact doesn't seem to care about Szark at all even though he met both Szark and Amelia at the same time. So again, Mookie's only depiction of something other than boring monogamous heterosexuality is here.

Szark is also a terrible stereotype in otherways, most notably pining for Dominic even after all these years. Just being the saddest, sad gay with the unrequited love for the straight dude, who knows, and still loves him as a friend, but "not that way". I can only assume this is what Mookie thinks he would do if he had any gay friends. They would just be aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll over him. But he would resist.
Right, and I'm not disputing that, but that isn't what happens with Celesto. As-is, Szark is the only somewhat important queer character as you say, so if he leaps headfirst into harmful stereotypes, there is no one else to soften the blow and that's the sole depiction of queer men. That's bad and I'm going to complain about it.

It portrays Celesto as scheming and dishonest as a direct association with his sexual orientation which is again a harmful stereotype about bisexual men.

You'll get no arguments about Szark being a bad character wholly independent of his orientation, but I'd like to wait for us to get to that arc. I forget the name but the fencing one. That one was really bad.

Regalingualius posted:

Fair enough on that front, I’m self-admittedly not particularly familiar with the issues of bi erasure in media, so I honestly hadn’t thought of it from that angle. I think we can all agree that Mookie handled it in a not-great manner, either, considering that his ultimate fate as the one openly gay major character (IIRC) is to... have an unrequited love. Especially when almost everyone else gets paired up with someone.
That's certainly reasonable and I appreciate your straightforwardness. It's an issue that's extremely important to me, so things like this stick out. His fate is somehow more offensive than you remember, but we'll be there soon enough.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 13, 2020

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

It doesn't help that this is the only open relationship in the comic. That is also a harmful stereotype about bisexual men and bisexual erasure, too though. Treating being bisexual as a stepping stone to coming out as fully gay implies that that phase was not a permanent state someone can choose to live in. What Mookie chose to go with is definitely bad, but that wouldn't really be better since once more, Szark is the only queer man in the comic besides Celesto.

As a someone who dealt with a lot of poo poo in this vein from both straight and gay people I know when coming out as bi, I have a particular hatred for this arc and Szark's character.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The idea of Mookie watching Revolutionary Girl Utena is physically painful to me. That show is a masterpiece (Escaflowne... is less of a masterpiece but also a lot of fun) and also is like, an intense journey through discussions of gender, relationships, and the struggle to communicate with and understand other people through your mutual trauma.

Basically I think it would be completely illegible yet strangely familiar to Mookie, what with his lack of theory of mind and the various characters like Saionji who also don't have one (but the show is about them eventually getting one knocked into their heads, among other things).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Boy, that made a hard turn into being wildly and weirdly sex-negative, real fast.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
This arc is off to a garbage start. Mookie couldn't think of a reason to have Dominic involved so he gave him a random vision about strangers and had Dominic decide he has to go intervene like an anime hero. Last arc it seemed like he was more concerned with his brother Jacob and hated using his visions to help people, where is the character development. And then there's the constant brutalization of women. What the gently caress is that thanksgiving art.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Like most of the conclusions Dominic jumps to, this one makes no sense. 15 years ago, Karnak wounded Szark. He's been satisfied to leave him alone until now. Why bother him now? Dominic doesn't know from his visions that Szark is the one in danger, and even if he were, Karnak is a demon lord and it's been 15 years. I'm sure he has lots of stuff he wants to do. Why would be send Tim to victimize someone in Erossus? Furthermore, why would Dominic assume Tim made a pact with Karnak? He could very well have a cursed wound that never heals (except when it totally healed) because Karnak attacked him too and he asked a different demon lord for powers to revenge himself on Karnak. Again, Mookie lacks theory of mind, so since he the author knows about this connection, so too does Dominic because no one can ever be allowed to outsmart him.

When Dominic destroyed Tim with facts and logic he did imply Tim's wounds were a result of the deal he made, but that would also imply he already knew about Karnak and what he does. On top of that, the last Dominic knew Tim's motivations were to get out of his deal with the demon and heal his eye wounds, so Dominic's got no reason to assume Tim's working for Karnak again unless he saw Tim escape hell and make a new deal with Karnak. Plus he has no reason to assume it wouldn't be Karnak himself coming to kill Szark since Dominic already saw that he can attack people fine on his own. These are Adam Westian leaps in logic.

Also lol who dressed that wound, look at all the gashes poking out from under that sushi roll they taped to him.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

catlord posted:

Boy, that made a hard turn into being wildly and weirdly sex-negative, real fast.

Don't worry. It stays like this forever.

TheHan posted:

This arc is off to a garbage start. Mookie couldn't think of a reason to have Dominic involved so he gave him a random vision about strangers and had Dominic decide he has to go intervene like an anime hero. Last arc it seemed like he was more concerned with his brother Jacob and hated using his visions to help people, where is the character development. And then there's the constant brutalization of women. What the gently caress is that thanksgiving art.
It is fodder for Mookie's dead bloody brutalized woman fetish. Presumably it's what he's thankful for.

quote:

When Dominic destroyed Tim with facts and logic he did imply Tim's wounds were a result of the deal he made, but that would also imply he already knew about Karnak and what he does. On top of that, the last Dominic knew Tim's motivations were to get out of his deal with the demon and heal his eye wounds, so Dominic's got no reason to assume Tim's working for Karnak again unless he saw Tim escape hell and make a new deal with Karnak. Plus he has no reason to assume it wouldn't be Karnak himself coming to kill Szark since Dominic already saw that he can attack people fine on his own. These are Adam Westian leaps in logic.
But Karnak didn't even exist in the comic yet, so Dominic couldn't have actually known about him. Sure he could tell from Tim's fire powers that he was an infernomancer, but he shouldn't know what demon lord he made his pact with. Dominic also didn't see that scene between Tim and Karnak so shouldn't be able to act on information from it.

quote:

Also lol who dressed that wound, look at all the gashes poking out from under that sushi roll they taped to him.
Mookie can't do anything advanced like draw a couple of lines across Szark's chest to show bandages wrapped around him like a normal person.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Invisible Clergy posted:

But Karnak didn't even exist in the comic yet, so Dominic couldn't have actually known about him. Sure he could tell from Tim's fire powers that he was an infernomancer, but he shouldn't know what demon lord he made his pact with. Dominic also didn't see that scene between Tim and Karnak so shouldn't be able to act on information from it.

I don't think Dominic ever even saw Tim use hellmagic did he? He just sees Tim's eyeholes and knows everything about him. It's a story absolutely full of holes, and for no reason! All Mookie had to do was have Dominic know who Karnak is and be concerned for his friend who he just realized might be demon touched. He could even save a dozen pages of exposition if he just had Dominic see Szark's wound hasn't healed and decide to go to Erossus based off that, it'd be more in line with Dominic's personality too. If he just...thought, one time, about the story he was writing before he drew a page it'd be exponentially better all around.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Attacked as a child?
Unhealable wound that leaves him in constant paint?

Szark is Gregory v1.1

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

I don't think Dominic ever even saw Tim use hellmagic did he? He just sees Tim's eyeholes and knows everything about him. It's a story absolutely full of holes, and for no reason! All Mookie had to do was have Dominic know who Karnak is and be concerned for his friend who he just realized might be demon touched. He could even save a dozen pages of exposition if he just had Dominic see Szark's wound hasn't healed and decide to go to Erossus based off that, it'd be more in line with Dominic's personality too. If he just...thought, one time, about the story he was writing before he drew a page it'd be exponentially better all around.

Ah, poo poo, you're right. Sorry, I've read the comic before, I was thinking of Tim's powerup during the war in hell where he gains the ability to shoot fire.

Then that's even less of a justification for Dominic to immediately intuit the right conclusion without using his definitive titular super power built for this exact purpose. I cannot understand it. If anything, you'd think someone who could consciously (and unconsciously) get flashes of insight figuring poo poo out for him would be pretty bad at figuring things like this out without using magic. A character with any shade on him might let that part of his mundane mind atrophy to make room for other things, like forgetting your times tables since everyone's phone has a calculator on it and does it faster and better. Like if I had telekinesis I would never get up to get a snack again, I wouldn't be the world champion snack getter in addition to having the power to not have to get up.

Oh, undoubtedly this is a consequence of Mookie just not having any idea Karnak existed until right then. It's really interesting to trace the ripple effects backward and see how they explain various earlier things not making any sense.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Attacked as a child?
Unhealable wound that leaves him in constant paint?

Szark is Gregory v1.1

Fortunately, we never see SuperSzark. I really don't want to know what kind of costume Mookie would put him in.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

TheHan posted:

If it wasn’t for us picking apart the final results, I’d honestly almost be envious of his apparent ability to just push out stories without picking over and being paralyzed by the details of them and how they interlock with the rest of his overall narrative.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Chapter 10 Ecstacy and Evil [Part 4]

Things start of with an anacronistic reference. I mean, I guess maybe it's not, because fantasy setting, but still. Dominic reiterates how much he hates sex.

They meet Celesto in person, and S and B are close behind.

This interaction confuses me. Stunt and Bumper know Luna has magic. Why is the scorching a surprise?

Anyway, we finally see Szark

and he's stabbing a guy to death!

It's quickly explained that killing bring ease to Szark's pain, and he has been feeding this need by legally dueling people to the death. Contracts written in blood, naturally, whihc is where Dominic's vision came from. Not actually a bad set up for a story. I like the fact that in this case Dominic is left to try and argue a moral case, versus a legal one. Maybe this can be a nuanced exploration of morality and the idea of legal killing, with a fantasy twist, where Dominic has to navigate the harm to Szark and the harm to others. Let's see what Mookie doe..

Gay panic jokes. Outstanding. Also Cream. ahahhahaha, like semen, get it? Oh Mookie, you certainly are a 23 year old man, and not a prebubescent boy

Dominic was totally fine with the gay stuff, it's the killing he hates! Thankfully Szark an fulfill every stereotype of the bisexual or gay man as a predatory lecher, desperatly tryign to get into the pants of the good old straight boys. Truly some unique heroes and interesting villains here.

Meanwhile, Amelia finds and bewitches Bumper. And here is where things start to get problematic.

Here is the first confirmation that Bumper is both Semashi, and that being a Semashi means having dark skin. Amelia creepily fetishizes and exotifies him, which I don't forgive just because she's the villain.
I'm not giving Mookie that much credit.

Stunt is caught,

and a bewitched Bumper disowns him. He's going to be sacrificed to Szark in the morning in a duel.

just straight old slut shaming in a way that makes no sense for someone speaking. Dominic and Luna deserve each other. Also, how does Amelia know that Luna fell of a bridge? They haven't talked to each other since then, or at least it doesn't seem like they would have given how Luna reacts earlier. Again, no theory of mind. I let it go when Celesto knew about Barthis because he's a seer, but apparently everyone is.

Chapter 10 Ecstacy and Evil [Part 5]

Spark is enlisted to go spy.

Luckliy for him and the Deeganclan, Amelia likes to leave all her incriminating papers on her desk. Once again, a pussy joke. Hahahahahaha. Pussy means cat, but it also means vagina. Did you know this? I did not.

Dominic touches the paw that Spark used to sort through and read (?) the contracts, and promptly has an orgasm. I mean vision.

Oh look, it's all the woman's fault again! Thank goodness. I guess Szark can be redeemed.

Meanwhile, the part of the plot that doesn't make sense but Dominic did guess correctly shows up.

Dominic has a dream where the whole scheme is instantly revealed to him. Again, no work needed on Dominic's part. Just handed to him when he needs it, in fine detail this time. No vague interpreations or anything.
Also look at those tits on Amelia in mourning. Come on mookie, draw without a hand down your pants.

Luna is Cinderalla to the wicked step sisters. We get it.

I said WE GET IT!

Dominic goes out to a confrontaion with Celesto. I don't mind this actually. There's a nice even matching with the two charaters. It's annoying that Dominic's friend (who Mookie clearly likes as a character) is more and more blamesless and a victims as the story unfolds. but Celesto is probably the most relatable and compelling character Mookie has ever written. It's not clear how or why he fell in love with lady Sturtz, but he's loyal and won't abandon her. that's a compelling villain story!

Dominic is a smug douche,

But Celesto is actually smart and one ups Dominic!

Celesto actually prevail totally! I love it.

Szark then tries to Bran Stark Spark, but unfortunately he is saved by offscreen benefactors.

I'm just gonna ruin it because it's not actually charaters new readers would have any way to expect. Spark is saved by Dominic's archmage mother. That's right, the end of this chapter will be Dominic's parents saving the day.

Mookie's casual racism, sexism and homophobia are all over these sections. And listen, I know it was the early 2000's, social mores have changed, and everybody's grown since then. But Mookie's writing is still bad and gross, and was still bad and gross then too. And through all of this is evident Mookie's discomfort with sex and sexuality. All of this is obviously titilating to him, exciting in a risque and taboo way. But his awful moralizing and sex-negativity comes through everywhere. This is Mookie displaying the awful nerd misoginy still present today, where he only hates those slutty bimbos and not his perfect waifu. I'm able to like problematic things! I can recognize both that a work is a reflection of it's time and that cultural production reflects the problems in the society that produces it, so it's not a moral failing of the work to not express perfect morality. You can critize and interrogate without condemining!

But all this is condemnable, especially with the fetish we know Mookie has. it's gross, and Mookie is gross for having written it.

Ok everyone, get ready. next update is where where Mookie makes what I would say is his first truly iconically :airquote:problematic:airquote: strip. While not as famous as Jazz Hands, I think it's just as bad in its own way. And it's not the dead lady one, Deeganologists!

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 13, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

The Little Death posted:

Meanwhile, Amelia finds and bewitches Bumper. And here is where things start to get problematic.
At this stage, if one wanted to give Mookie the benefit of the doubt, like you'd been doing, one might assume that Bumper's eyes being drawn differently to show he's hypnotized is there purely for the benefit of the audience, like when Invisible Woman has a blue outline around her as she fights bad guys.

quote:

But apparently the characters can also see Bumper is under mind control. Szark knows his wife is an enchantress since she comes from a well-known magical family. Why doesn't he or any of his servants who are loyal to him notice that Bumper and a bunch of other guys have been under Amelia's thrall and say or do anything about it?

quote:

just straight old slut shaming in a way that makes no sense for someone speaking. Dominic and Luna deserve each other. Also, how does Amelia know that Luna fell of a bridge? They haven't talked to each other since then, or at least it doesn't seem like they would have given how Luna reacts earlier. Again, no theory of mind. I let it go when Celesto knew about Barthis because he's a seer, but apparently everyone is.
Mookie thinks the characters can glance to the left and read the speech bubbles, because he can.

quote:

Dominic has a dream where the whole scheme is instantly revealed to him. Again, no work needed on Dominic's part. Just handed to him when he needs it, in fine detail this time. No vague interpreations or anything.
What is the point of having an enemy seer here to block his second sight if Dominic still gets visions that tell him the bad guy's plan without taking any willful action? Like, what would be different if Celesto just weren't here at all? The division between second sight and visions is also muddy and kind of pointless. I don't know if it comes up much after this arc.

Celesto is just as much of a boss as I remember. He's the only villan(oid) who gets the closest to actually accomplishing something. Plus it's always cool to see someone dunk on Dominic

quote:

Oh, gently caress, I forgot they raped Bumper in this chapter. Mookie's just gonna glide right past that, I see. Extremely cool and normal.

quote:

I'm just gonna ruin it because it's not actually charaters new readers would have nay way to expect. Spark is saved by Dominic's archmage mother. That's right, the end of this chapter will be Dominic's parents saving the day.
Deus ex momchina by Mominic Deegan. Miranda is marginally less annoying than the other Deegans, but I find her by far the most unpleasant of them.

I cannot wait for the next update. Great coverage as always, The Little Death.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 13, 2020

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

And this is how I found out that she wasn’t a centaur.

:same:

What's with the "he was an awful person anyway" in the middle there with no relation to anything?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Invisible Clergy posted:

I think if I had to pick a single character, Szark is most similar to Touga from "revolutionary girl utena," who is also a bishie swordsman who fights with a finesse-based weapon.

Seconding that Touga guess, if only to point out that if it is Touga that Szark is based off of then he has either only watched the first couple episodes, or severely misunderstood Touga, and I genuinely hope it's the former because if Szark was his interpretation of Touga's character after watching the whole series then :stonk:

For anyone wondering - As you get futher into the series, it becomes more obvious that Touga is a victim of a serial groomer and sexual predator. Because he's seemingly confident and suave, he "consents" for the illusion of power and control and other "benefits" the relationship brings him, and even mimics the abuser's tactics on other people, people often forget/don't notice/choose to ignore it because 'lol hot guys, bara trio'. Or, they do acknowledge it but don't feel too sympathetic because of the mimicking part.

His backstory also has him being groomed and abused from childhood onwards by his adoptive father. While the backstory only gets explicitly shown in the movie, there's implications in the series and would have been part of the show but it got cut for time, IIRC anyway.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

What's with the "he was an awful person anyway" in the middle there with no relation to anything?

Got to make sure everyone knows Luna never had a single good person in her life except for her savior Dominic.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Mayor Lands.

I believe this is the only time Mookie draws a horse?

Is this some sick foreshadowing?

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
I like Celesto.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Invisible Clergy posted:

Oh, gently caress, I forgot they raped Bumper in this chapter. Mookie's just gonna glide right past that, I see. Extremely cool and normal.

Mookie thinks rape is sexy and doesn't believe men can be victims of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Like Jacob, Celesto is good early on when he actually manages to get the upper hand over Dominic sometimes, but it starts to just get increasingly drilled in how inferior he is to Dominic both in powers as just as a person.

Also, since someone asked about visions vs second sight and if the difference is talked about: Second sight is a branch of magic that anyone can learn, and a seer is a person who can use it. Being able to passively receive visions is an innate ability, and someone with that power is an Oracle. Celesto doesn't receive visions, so he is a seer and not an oracle. It's only really elaborated on as a means of stating another way in that Celesto is inferior to Dominic.