Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SF posting compendium (3rd edition)
2nd edition
1st edition

talk about a book you read or a film you watched or something like that.

hopefully this thread will be allowed to linger on this plane for a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

It is by will alone I set my posts in motion. It is by the Mountain of Dew that shitposts acquire bans, the pants acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my posts in motion.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
his name is a posting word

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
chapter house goon

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
anime

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

paul@raid.es

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I will watch the dune movie and it will be good. a friend convinced me to re-read the book and I'm looking forward to it, but I'm having some trouble with my eyes so I dunno if/when I'll be able to. good thing kindles can use huge text size I guess

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i'm optimistic about the dune movie

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Achmed Jones posted:

I will watch the dune movie and it will be good. a friend convinced me to re-read the book and I'm looking forward to it, but I'm having some trouble with my eyes so I dunno if/when I'll be able to. good thing kindles can use huge text size I guess

The Audiobook they have on Audible is e.deece, IMO?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the movie is going to faithful to the book, meaning it’s going to be bad

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I miss Iain M. Banks.

But I'm glad Amazon isn't adapting his work for the television anymore.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
hell yeah ground floor

quote:

Gurgeh stared at the space chess. He considered moving the space king over to the space rook, but then he didn't. Instead, he moved it to the right. He nodded. The robot flew over, and said something bitchy. Gurgeh chuckled, then sighed. "Robot," he said, "please fly away." The robot made a light from his head and then he flew away.

Gurgeh stared at the board. He reflected that the best games were the games that were so hard. And that what this game was. Where would he move the space piece next?

"Well, Gurgeh!" harrumphed the space alien. "Perhaps now you see that the game is so hard?" Gurgeh nodded. The game was so hard. That night, he thought about the space board. He glanded a drug that made the game less hard, but even then, it was still so hard. Gurgeh was immortal and rich, but still he didn't want to lose, because it would be better to win. But the game was so hard.

The robot flew over. "Gurgeh!" said the robot. If you don't win, there will be a space murder, and maybe a space rape!" Gurgeh was appalled. "I must win the space game," he said. He sighed.

The next day, the alien bragged: "I will win the space game! I am the best at winning the space game!" Gurgeh sighed. But then Gurgeh saw what he would do: instead of moving the space piece to the left, he would move it forward. The alien was so surprised. "But... but the game is supposed to be so hard!" But Gurgeh was very smart. He moved the piece again, and in a way that was so smart.

"NOOOOO," shouted the space alien. Gurgeh had made the best move. He had made the best space move. The robot congratulated him, and the girl wanted to have sex with him. "Well," thought Gurgeh, "I will have sex with her. I am, after all... THE PLAYER OF GAMES."

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
The original source for that quote is this post on Metafilter.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
more like the layer of dames

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

btw never read the state of the art

reads like bad fanfic and twilight zone twists

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Uptime Sinclair posted:

hell yeah ground floor

also crucial

haveblue posted:

sax stared at the mars rock. He considered examining the mars pebble next to the mars rock, but then he didn't. Instead, he examined the boulder. He nodded. ann walked over, and said something bitchy. sax chuckled, then sighed. "ann," he said, "please drive away." ann made a light from her suit and then she drove away.

sax stared at the sand. He reflected that the best rocks were the rocks that were so old. And that what this rock was. Where would he look for mars rocks next?

"Well, sax!" harrumphed michel. "Perhaps now you see that the people are not rocks?" sax nodded. The rock was so old. That night, he thought about the mars rock. He used an instrument that made the rock seem less old, but even then, it was still so old. sax was immortal and wise, but still he didn't want to leave, because it would be better to understand the rock. But the rock was so old.

phyllis drove over. "sax!" said phyllis. If you don't understand, there will be a space murder, and maybe a space capitalism!" sax was appalled. "I must understand the mars rock," he said. He sighed.

The next day, arkady bragged: "I will win the mars war! I am the best at winning the mars war!" sax sighed. But then sax saw what he would do: instead of examining the mars rock to the left, he would drive further. arkady was so surprised. "But... but mars is supposed to be so empty!" But sax was very smart. He examined the rock again, and in a way that was so smart.

"NOOOOO," shouted frank. sax had made the best discovery. He had found the best mars rock. john congratulated him, and ann wanted to have sex with him eventually. "Well," thought sax, "I will have sex with her. this is, after all... RED MARS."

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PCjr sidecar posted:

btw never read the state of the art

reads like bad fanfic and twilight zone twists

is that the short story collection? I was reading from the first culture book through the last, hit the short stories, and then stopped bc they were bad. never did pick up the novels again. maybe after I go through dune again

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Achmed Jones posted:

is that the short story collection? I was reading from the first culture book through the last, hit the short stories, and then stopped bc they were bad. never did pick up the novels again. maybe after I go through dune again

yes that’s the one

the rest of the novels are good (I haven’t read inversions)

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Uptime Sinclair posted:

hell yeah ground floor

same

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Achmed Jones posted:

I skipped from the Player of Games straight to the Hydrogen Sonata and had a good time

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
thinking of playing metro exodus and want to warm up by finally reading roadside picnic

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

PCjr sidecar posted:

yes that’s the one

the rest of the novels are good (I haven’t read inversions)

inversions is written and presented much differently than the other novels, and it doesn't have the same "wow cool spaceship" appeal either. i liked it but it's not going to be a good fit for everyone.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Just got done watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxgC3mMahew&t=5s

it was definitely the 'entertaining garbage' I was hoping for and not the 'dull garbage' a lot of low budget schlock is. Some dark humor, a few decent car wrecks and the crazy coot who goes on a rampage early in the runtime was a highlight. Slows down a bit in the last quarter and ends with an interminable no-stakes helicopter chase (ok the piloting is impressive and the Utah scenery is beautiful).

I would only recommend if you like 'Best of the Worst' style cinema.

edit: tbh about 90% of the action you want to see is in the trailer here.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 12, 2020

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

also yeah the audiobook for dune is good and so are the next few. i stopped after the initial trilogy and suggest you do the same or sooner

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Agile Vector posted:

also yeah the audiobook for dune is good and so are the next few. i stopped after the initial trilogy and suggest you do the same or sooner

children of dune didnt quite do it for me. it's when the endless Duncan Idaho begins and why does anyone care about him

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I liked children of time and might get children of ruin. super space octopi sound rad

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

science fiction

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

science fiction

i prefer it hard

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

the difference between hard and soft sci fi is literally pretending your magic poo poo isn't magic. like in the expanse where there's zombies and teleportation and electric marvel superpowers and they're like "oh we just DONT UNDERSTAND these MAGIC POWERS yet" lmao

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

inversions is written and presented much differently than the other novels, and it doesn't have the same "wow cool spaceship" appeal either. i liked it but it's not going to be a good fit for everyone.

iirc it is also first-person from the perspective of the multiverse's biggest prick

sincerely,

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
oh and i tried the second episode of lucifer, and thirty seconds in he refers to himself as beelzebub, and just like that i'm out again

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

rjmccall posted:

oh and i tried the second episode of lucifer, and thirty seconds in he refers to himself as beelzebub, and just like that i'm out again

I doubt your average viewer understands the reference enough to care

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

rjmccall posted:

iirc it is also first-person from the perspective of the multiverse's biggest prick

sincerely,

lol bigger than horza there are a lot of unlikable jerks in this series

i read spaceship at the end of the universe on a rec of a friend i liked it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

rjmccall posted:

:suspense:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

read a bunch of stanisław Lem this year and as a result I recommend reading stanisław Lem

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Beamed posted:

the difference between hard and soft sci fi is literally pretending your magic poo poo isn't magic. like in the expanse where there's zombies and teleportation and electric marvel superpowers and they're like "oh we just DONT UNDERSTAND these MAGIC POWERS yet" lmao

zombies I get, the other two I dont understand what you're referencing?

imo it at least kinda works -- the 'magic' is limited to the dead ancient alien civilization poo poo. Human tech is very grounded.

The expanse is cool because its a nice setting it gets to of humanity being a piece of poo poo on the skeleton remains of a dead alien civilization, still doing stupid human things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

WilWheaton posted:

zombies I get, the other two I dont understand what you're referencing?

ghosts that only certain characters get to see is one i forgot about, but an asteroid breaks physics to move in one scene, and then electricity, momentum, etc. are shut down in the Magic Aether Zone when they first enter the Magic Stargate

i actually really like the expanse fwiw it's just super fantastical in terms of the science part