Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Yeah, I tried a bunch of different cat-drugs and ymmv.

Catnip-toys, probably feat. some stale-rear end catnip: vaguely interesting.

Same toys with added catnip spray: yeah, I'll lick and cuddle this for 30 seconds

Silvervine sticks: lemme chew the poo poo out of this and try to murder it for approx. 5 minutes and then never look at it again (I should give her a fresh one, apparently it's good for plaque)

Stuffed bunny with silvervine blend: meh

Hideous weasel thing that stinks up the cat-drawer with its unholy blend of herbs & spices: WHAT IS IT, I MUST HAVE IT ( I only get this one out for a little while because the way she drools all over it is a little disturbing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
How clean should a cats rear end in a top hat be? One year old female.

So I have been balancing my furbaby's diet between a clean butt and appetite. Right now she has a good appetite, poops well, and doesnt have a "wet" rear end. Now again as a first timer, I dont know whats normal. All I know is her butt used to look like she sat down and melted an M&M, and Id have to wash her butt every night. On her new food her butt is dry, but still has some poop flecks. So this is the current state; cat has good diet, appetite, poops. But how clean a butt is considered a normal clean butt? I just dont know all I can can GIS is her poop quality and when i search "clean cat butt" I get anime chicks and I dont want to dig any deeper.

Note: I am experimenting with trimming her butt hair even more so that she gets clearer access to her butt.
I swear she loves me

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

seiferguy posted:

Has anyone ever used silver vine as a catnip alternative? Catnip does nothing for my cat, so I tried that, reading somewhere that 80% of cats like it. I put down a little in front of my cat, and he got extremely offended by it, and started cowering away from me and looked about ready to hiss at me when I presented it to him :( What a waste.

My cat has zero reaction to catnip but laps up silverline like it's loving cocaine.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Gaj posted:

How clean should a cats rear end in a top hat be? One year old female.

So I have been balancing my furbaby's diet between a clean butt and appetite. Right now she has a good appetite, poops well, and doesnt have a "wet" rear end. Now again as a first timer, I dont know whats normal. All I know is her butt used to look like she sat down and melted an M&M, and Id have to wash her butt every night. On her new food her butt is dry, but still has some poop flecks. So this is the current state; cat has good diet, appetite, poops. But how clean a butt is considered a normal clean butt? I just dont know all I can can GIS is her poop quality and when i search "clean cat butt" I get anime chicks and I dont want to dig any deeper.

Note: I am experimenting with trimming her butt hair even more so that she gets clearer access to her butt.
I swear she loves me

Normal is "pretty much spotless", as a combination of not having runny poo and cats fastidiously washing themselves (including the bumhole).

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

The catnip alternatives discussion led me here: https://bmcvetres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12917-017-0987-6 They also offered them to tigers and bob cats.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
My cat eats Taste of the Wild dry food. She won't touch wet food. I've been getting the giant bags for economic viability, but recently discovered that it's been going bad and she hasn't been eating. Got a new smaller bag and she's right back at it.

Is there a particular airtight container that the larger bag could be stored in without it going bad? Things are pretty tight right now and I'd like to be able to save that money, her Prozac costs enough.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yes, just get a big plastic container and keep it in that. When I used Taste of the Wild I used to just pour it into one - honestly part of the reason I haven't gone back to that brand is that it's one of the very few that doesn't do resealable bags and it's a huge pain.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Organza Quiz posted:

Yes, just get a big plastic container and keep it in that. When I used Taste of the Wild I used to just pour it into one - honestly part of the reason I haven't gone back to that brand is that it's one of the very few that doesn't do resealable bags and it's a huge pain.

Been using a plastic container with a foam seal. Probably time to replace that, huh. Out of curiosity, what food did you switch to?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Oyster posted:

Been using a plastic container with a foam seal. Probably time to replace that, huh. Out of curiosity, what food did you switch to?

I just used a big plastic storage thing with a plastic lid, I'm not even sure what a foam seal is tbh. I've switched food a bunch of times since then because I'm indecisive, most recently to Iams after realising the smaller newer brands that make themselves sound super wholesome don't necessarily have any science going into their food and the big brands are probably just fine thanks.

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

Oyster posted:

Is there a particular airtight container that the larger bag could be stored in without it going bad? Things are pretty tight right now and I'd like to be able to save that money, her Prozac costs enough.

I buy larger bags of dry food and split it out in containers meant for cereal. I'm not sure how big a bag you're talking, but a 10lb bag of Blue Buffalo fits in 2 large cereal containers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We use one of these to store big rear end bags of rice

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-46-Cup-Bulk-Food-Storage-Canister-2-87-Gal/843251143

It could probably do cat food?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Stroop There It Is posted:

The catnip alternatives discussion led me here: https://bmcvetres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12917-017-0987-6 They also offered them to tigers and bob cats.

No matter the size, a cat is a cat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OPA1bZwOWc

I did a keeper tour at BCR a couple years ago. One of the tigers went nuts for pumpkin spice, and another lost it for Calvin Klein's Obsession.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Oyster posted:

My cat eats Taste of the Wild dry food. She won't touch wet food. I've been getting the giant bags for economic viability, but recently discovered that it's been going bad and she hasn't been eating. Got a new smaller bag and she's right back at it.

Vittles Vaults are the way to go.

I'd recommend keeping/photographing the batch code information on the bags though. Makes keeping track of any potential recalls easier

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

My cat will not shut up. It's been a week now and I know it's not food or the litter box. I try to give him what attention I can and play but it's either not enough or there is no "enough". I have ordered a couple more toys that will hopefully entertain him, considering getting a second scratching post. Unfortunately I'm stuck working at home and this is becoming an impediment. Would I be doing any harm if I kept him closed off in a large room with all his stuff?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Corte posted:

My cat will not shut up. It's been a week now and I know it's not food or the litter box. I try to give him what attention I can and play but it's either not enough or there is no "enough". I have ordered a couple more toys that will hopefully entertain him, considering getting a second scratching post. Unfortunately I'm stuck working at home and this is becoming an impediment. Would I be doing any harm if I kept him closed off in a large room with all his stuff?

Depends on the kind of temper tantrum your cat has, rear end in a top hat got locked outside the bedroom one night and let us know he was unhappy by destroying multiple things

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Last night Terry threw up like five times, mostly retching up clear liquid. He seems better since 6 AM today so I didn't rush him to the vet, but could this be caused by the awful smoke in Portland right now?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oyster posted:

Holy crap, I had no idea dry food went bad. :(

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

My dad just died and I'm taking his 13 year old cat, Sammy, on a 15 hour roadtrip through wildfire hell back to Oregon tomorrow. We've spent a week with her in his house and she has warmed up to us really well. It's likely that she has spent maybe a grand total of one hour in a car before this.

We've been feeding in the carrier and putting treats in there too. Spraying with Feliway and got some calming treats. The vet wouldn't give us a sedative without a full exam and with covid that just isn't happening.

Any recommendations on making the trip easier for everyone? How often should we let her out of the carrier to drink/ use the litterbox? If she's going nuts should we just leave her in the carrier?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'd say you don't need to stop any more than normal. Cats on a road trip tend to be too nervous to drink or use the bathroom and generally end up being able to hold it until they get to the destination.

That said, when we transported cats, we got one of these and put a mini litterbox inside: https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Fit-Life-Collapsible-Portable/dp/B01LYHJBUT/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=cat+car+carrier&qid=1599847041&sr=8-4

As long as you secure it properly (I secured it between some luggage, you can also put it on the floor between seats) it shouldn't spill. And then pour them a bowl of water whenever you stop for gas.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Keep her in the carrier as much as possible. A frightened cat is likely to bolt and she could be gone before you even know what's happening.

Put a towel in the carrier with her to soak up any inadvertent pee. Just get her home as fast as you can.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

She's probably going to sing you the song of her people for the majority of the trip, so be prepared for that.

I would strongly suggest not taking her out of the carrier unless you're in a locked hotel room. If you're not stopping and going for the 15 hour megadrive just keep her in the carrier until you make it. She'll survive. Hopefully she'll resign herself to it and fall asleep at some point.

Putting a towel OVER the carrier can also help as they're much calmer if they can't see all the scary new things they don't understand.

E: never let an animal loose in a moving vehicle btw, as they can wedge themselves under your pedals if they get scared and then everyone's in serious trouble.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
The key is to move with loose animals too small to become wedged under the pedals :eng101:

They can also jump on the dashboard and obstruct your view or simply distract you

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I let my cat loose in my car once, and he immediately peed on the rear seat. I'd rather him have gotten wedged under the pedals.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

My cats have been wigging out since they were fixed this morning and it’s stressing me the hell out. I just want your insides to stay inside, please stop fighting with your cones.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A talking coyote posted:

My cats have been wigging out since they were fixed this morning and it’s stressing me the hell out. I just want your insides to stay inside, please stop fighting with your cones.

Cones are the worst, my condolences. Finn kept getting poo poo on his because he'd turn around to look at where he was pooping and would accidentally smear it all over his cone. I chased that cat around with a tissue for many consecutive nights.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Conedolences.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Holy poo poo I’ve never had an animal that hates cones as much as these 2 cats. And the sedatives we were given have had 0 effect so they’ve been going nuts nonstop for hours now.

My girl cut her cheek smashing her face against the cabinet corner on the bathroom trying to get the cone off so now I have to take her back in the morning to get it looked at if they even make it through the night.

I’m not sure how we’re going to sleep tonight.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

Keep her in the carrier as much as possible. A frightened cat is likely to bolt and she could be gone before you even know what's happening.

Put a towel in the carrier with her to soak up any inadvertent pee. Just get her home as fast as you can.

My vet has "calming blankets" for cats that are apparently scented with some pheromone to calm the cat down. Maybe you could create something like that with a towel and some feliway (I'd do a dry run before the drive, to see if it helps and whether the smell bothers you).
There are also actual cat pills you can give them to keep them calm, though I'm not sure how effective and safe they are. If your cat is very anxious, I'd ask your vet about that.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

A talking coyote posted:

Holy poo poo I’ve never had an animal that hates cones as much as these 2 cats. And the sedatives we were given have had 0 effect so they’ve been going nuts nonstop for hours now.

My girl cut her cheek smashing her face against the cabinet corner on the bathroom trying to get the cone off so now I have to take her back in the morning to get it looked at if they even make it through the night.

I’m not sure how we’re going to sleep tonight.

Dang, maybe ask for one of those shirts that protect the wound? They make tiny sweater tops for cats but depending on the size of your cats I'm sure you can mcguyver something together from a pair of leggings or something.

They'll still hate it, but it won't impede them as much so hopefully they'll be less likely to injure themselves trying to get it off. As a bonus, it looks really funny.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I had good success with 0-3 month shirts on rear end in a top hat. He hated it but he looked so cute in a polo

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Psycho cats update, so they finally calmed down after like 6 straight hours of going nuts, we gave them a break from the cones for about an hour where we just monitored them and kept them from cleaning themselves.

Vet told us to up the sedative dose and frequency and after a big meal they finally settled down. They still don’t like the cones but they slept through the night and stopped trying to slam their head into walls or fight each other to get them off. Now they just stop to itch them occasionally.

I’m never fixing multiple animals at the same time again.

I’d post pictures of the little monsters but I’m phone posting and not sure how to do it in the awful app.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Thanks for the cat travel tips. Hadn't thought about covering the carrier with the towel, will give that a shot. Not gonna try a dry run because she's still a bit wary of us sometimes so I don't want to spoil the trust we've built before the big day.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The car carrier I linked to has curtains for the sides and it's easy to unzip to give them water and such without the possibility of them getting out. I highly recommend it over normal carriers, it made things so much easier - and we had 2 cats in it.

And yeah, echoing you should not let them out of the carrier for any reason. All the more reason to get a carrier you can fit a litterbox in.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Does anyone have recommendations for cat trees for an old (10), somewhat blind cat? She can still jump up and whatnot now, but she definitely prefers having smaller intermediate jumps and I think eventually it will help for her to have a ramp or small steps to navigate. I looked at Amarkat, but couldn't find anything and don't really know what other brands to check out.

Just in general it's really great to have a cat again, I'm finally not traveling a lot and my goodness having a little bud to just hang out with is wonderful. Just to gush a little, she pretty much just wants to sit on my lap or chest and sleep, is super affectionate and is just the most beautiful little (only 6 pounds fully grown!) creature. According to the shelter at one point she was a show cat before her previous owner had her, and I can definitely see it. Aside from higher pet insurance premiums, I really would recommend anyone thinking about adopting to look at older cats too! Kittens are cute but my goodness I'm alright not having to try and match their energy this time around.

Not the best photos, but meet Bisous:

(Really think about this comic a lot, I have so many variations on 'cat sleeping' on my phone now)

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

foutre posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for cat trees for an old (10), somewhat blind cat? She can still jump up and whatnot now, but she definitely prefers having smaller intermediate jumps and I think eventually it will help for her to have a ramp or small steps to navigate. I looked at Amarkat, but couldn't find anything and don't really know what other brands to check out.

Just in general it's really great to have a cat again, I'm finally not traveling a lot and my goodness having a little bud to just hang out with is wonderful. Just to gush a little, she pretty much just wants to sit on my lap or chest and sleep, is super affectionate and is just the most beautiful little (only 6 pounds fully grown!) creature. According to the shelter at one point she was a show cat before her previous owner had her, and I can definitely see it. Aside from higher pet insurance premiums, I really would recommend anyone thinking about adopting to look at older cats too! Kittens are cute but my goodness I'm alright not having to try and match their energy this time around.

Not the best photos, but meet Bisous:

(Really think about this comic a lot, I have so many variations on 'cat sleeping' on my phone now)

OK so I will give you honest advice but can I ask the background of your cat? My baby is a pure mutt (orange mom grey stripe dad) and she has almost the same coloration as yours. They even share the same orange patch just above their nose.

Sometimes the best answer is laziness. Have you tried shoe/Amazon/Chewy boxes? That way you can change the height/stepping for the tree. At least for the base.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Does anyone have any recommendations for a light backpack suitable for transporting a cat? I've got one of those hard shell kitty spaceship ones, but I need another.

I need it in case I need to take both cats to the vet at the same time, on my bicycle, one cat on my back and one on my front. I used to do that with an ordinary backpack that I made air holes in, but I thought I'd get something actually made for the job.

Two cats in one backpack would be the ideal, but I'm not sure if such a thing is even logistically feasible. (Two compartments? Idk).

It's also for the next time my building's fire alarm goes and I have to evacuate. I was nearly going to get a plain ole collapsible duffel-bag-style carrier for that, but then I realised I need something to use with my bicycle.

I'm not too keen on getting another spaceship pack since they're bulky and my place is very small. So something that can be squished flat.

Anyway, I got lots of search results, at a whole array of prices, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has actually got one and likes it, to try to narrow down the options a little.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Look what we got! We hated our cheap plastic carrier because it swung around too much when carrying it by the single handle, and it's front-loading which is a pain. Vet-visits are going to be a lot more fun for Katya now we can strap her in and bike there. :haw:

https://twitter.com/invisiblemonkey/status/1165272960925622273?s=20

I got this one from the dutch zooplus site, it might available elsewhere.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

old cat poems

https://twitter.com/XiranJayZhao/status/1299148337774354432

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
We just adopted a 10 month old cat named Malarkey and she's lovely. My question is about food. The SPCA fed her (and all their cats) Hills Science Diet, and gave us a bag to take home. We've also been feeding her some pate style wet food which she likes.

The pet store lady told us Science Diet is garbage and recommended Performatrin Ultra when we run out of the stuff we have. Is she full of poo poo or what? Is Hills Science Diet bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Gaj posted:

OK so I will give you honest advice but can I ask the background of your cat? My baby is a pure mutt (orange mom grey stripe dad) and she has almost the same coloration as yours. They even share the same orange patch just above their nose.

Sometimes the best answer is laziness. Have you tried shoe/Amazon/Chewy boxes? That way you can change the height/stepping for the tree. At least for the base.

Absolutely on board for the lazy solution, I've been doing that for getting up onto the bed and whatnot but I'll definitely try it for a cat tree too, good idea.

Apparently she's a Birman - looking up the email the original breeder sent me after I got her from the shelter, apparently this type of coloring is called "Seal Tortie Tabby Point". For Bisous at least she basically has a tabby forehead/mouth and one tortie one tabby ears. Do you have any photos of your cat you're up for posting? Sounds like an awfully cute mix!