Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Liquid Communism posted:

Kakuryu expected to announce tomorrow if he's pulling out, article I was reading suggests he's likely going to retire at this point given he's had one full basho in the last year.

Would be a shame to see him go, but I think his last big rally, including the back-to-back yusho, proves he was a very solid yokozuna, and it's probably not unreasonable for him to be considering intai.

Remember everyone, tomorrow is the last day to get your picks in for Fantasy, since I'll be drafting on Saturday! I'll also get my picks in tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

With 6 yusho, Kakuryu would retire solidly middle of the pack in terms of most yusho. Pretty decent career all around if he does retire.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh right I should probably make my picks huh?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Oh hey, here's a 30 minute thing from the NHK about the upcoming basho

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is there a random picker for the fantasy lineup? I know very little here. But I want to see more. I want to understand the large men and their ways.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kakuryu has probably got a decent retirement account. I wonder if he'll try and head up a heya after retiring.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

I'm kind of bummed about the idea of Kakuryu retiring but sometimes it's just time to call it quits.

Fantasy picks:
Y/O: Asanoyama
S/K: Endo / Shodai / Daieisho
M1-5: Terutsuyoshi / Tamawashi / Terunofuji
M6-10: Wakatakakage / Tokushoryu / Kotoeko
M11+: Kotoshoho / Ichinojo / Tobizaru

Excited for this basho!

Edit: updated to reflect both the change to Y/O and Ishiura withdrawing!

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 12, 2020

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Hakuho only Yokozuna for the second time

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1304356510986842113

Uh oh.

This is Shoday and Yutakayama's coach, btw.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

Any updates on the boys who ran away or the stolen gear with memento?

Still curious if any update on either of these news items happened

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Brut posted:

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1304356510986842113

Uh oh.

This is Shoday and Yutakayama's coach, btw.

There's a follow-up post saying that the coach went to another prefecture after it was explicitly forbidden and that they were still reviewing it so there will be more consequences after the Basho it seems. Luckily no rikishi went with him but still, what a dumb gently caress move on the surface.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

In rare NSK not being harsh assholes news, it sounds like the guys in the COVID stable might get some kind of rank protection rather than the standard 0-15/0-7 treatment. It’s probably tough to be fair about that though. If you go all the way and lock their rank, you might be screwing someone under them out of a promotion, especially as they have someone in the juryo danger zone where demotion would have been very possible. And if you give them the standard kyojo treatment it could set a guy back an additional 2-3 tourneys to get back into their current spot for something that’s no fault of their own.

https://youtu.be/KrgFMjCamRM

Kenning posted:

Would be a shame to see him go, but I think his last big rally, including the back-to-back yusho, proves he was a very solid yokozuna, and it's probably not unreasonable for him to be it intake.

Having Hak around since I started watching has really warped my idea of what a strong Yokozuna is. With the big guy hoovering up all the yusho, it makes it seem like kakuryu and Harumafuji were disappointing in comparison, but they are probably more in line with what we should expect from non-GOAT Yokozuna in the future.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Lid posted:

Hakuho only Yokozuna for the second time

I thought Hak was going to be out due to recovering from knee surgery?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tiny Bug Child posted:

I thought Hak was going to be out due to recovering from knee surgery?

I thought he was on about the period from March 2010 - Nov 2012 when Hakuho was the only Yokozuna.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Y/O: Asanoyama, Takakeisho, Hakuho
S/K: Mitakeumi, Shodai, Mitakeumi,
M1-5: Terunofuji, Tochinoshin, Tamawashi
M6-10: Takayasu, Enho, Kagayaki
M11+: Sadanoumi, Ishiura, Shimanoumi

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Mekchu posted:

Y/O: Asanoyama, Takakeisho, Hakuho
S/K: Mitakeumi, Shodai, Mitakeumi,
M1-5: Terunofuji, Tochinoshin, Tamawashi
M6-10: Takayasu, Enho, Kagayaki
M11+: Sadanoumi, Ishiura, Shimanoumi

I respect that doubling down on Mitakeumi. Big fan of his myself.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I don't think Kakuryu is in any risk. The Yokozuna Deliberation Council set a precedent by allowing Kisenosato to not show up for 8 straight basho. Kak had a Jun-Yusho in January. If he doesn't show up in November or January or if he starts handing out kinboshi then it will be truly over

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I don't think Kakuryu is in any risk. The Yokozuna Deliberation Council set a precedent by allowing Kisenosato to not show up for 8 straight basho. Kak had a Jun-Yusho in January. If he doesn't show up in November or January or if he starts handing out kinboshi then it will be truly over

I think the kinboshi is the big thing. After Kise, they are probably more willing to tell him to just sit out completely for a tourney or two if he has to, but he’d better be good when he gets back.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I don't think Kakuryu will get the Kise consideration. Kise was a brand new yokozuna when he got hurt, only 30 years old, and had been an iron man before that, never missing days, consistently putting up very credible numbers. He was also the first Japanese yokozuna in 14 years (since Takanohana retired), and there was huge hype around him. I think the kyokai and the YDC gave him way more chances because of all of this.

By contrast, Kakuryu is 35, he's been yokozuna for 6 years, and has 6 yusho to his name. He also got the "perform or retire" ultimatum once before. To his credit he came back from that to put together a really solid year+ of competition, but I don't think there is very much leeway for him if his injuries are piling up again.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
its sad, but this just isnt yokozuna-level sumo:

he needs to get out on the clay and redeem himself, but it sounds like hes gonna take it easy instead. is he really still injured from that fall?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Day 1 & 2 matches are posted. Both yokozuna are out, plus Ishiura:

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1304514623094378502

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

so four total written off the initial torikumi with abi as well for obv reasons. that's the most i remember since i started following in summer 18 iirc

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
if both Yokozuna are out does that mean everyone getss assigned one of the Ozeki's even if they didn't pick them because there only those two left?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Lid posted:

if both Yokozuna are out does that mean everyone getss assigned one of the Ozeki's even if they didn't pick them because there only those two left?

Kenning posted:

Given that in all likelihood both yokozuna will sit out and we'll only have Takakeisho and Asanoyama in the y/o ranks I'm not going to restrict how many people can share a wrestler at that rank.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You can freely update your picks until I close entries to do the draft. If Ishiura was on your card I recommend swapping him out. Otherwise it's just a question of which ozeki you want.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Y/O: Asanoyama / Takakeisho
S/K: Mitakeumi / Okinoumi / Endo
M1-5: Terunofuji / Toshinoshin / Tamawashi
M6-10: Kagayaki / Aoiyama / Takayasu
M11+: Kotoshogiku / Kaisei / Chiyotairyu

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Y/O: Asanoyama
S/K: Shodai/Daieisho/Mitakeumi
M1-5: Terunofuji/Kiribayama/Takarafuji
M6-10: Wakatakakage/Kotoeko/Takayasu
M11+: Hoshoryu/Tobizaru/Kotoshoho

Very excited for Hoshoryu's maegashira debut. Also for Terutsuyoshi at M3. I think it'll be pretty rough for him at that level, but we might get to see some awesome matches like his win over Asanoyama.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Since kinboshi aren’t a factor, would it make any sense to do Y/O/S/K? I mean everyone has their pick in already so it would be a huge hassle so I’m not suggesting, just wondering whether that would be a viable option or I’m missing something that would obviously break.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

I enjoyed watching a lot in July but not really at a point where I recognize more then like Hakuho and Enho by name.

Mostly going by names I think sounds cool, and also all three -fuji

Y/O: Hakuho/Asanoyama/Kakuryu
S/K: Shodai/Daieisho/Endo
M1-5: Terunofuji/Hokutofuji/Takarafuji
M6-10: Aoiyama/Ryuden/Wakatakakage
M11+: Ishiura/Tobizaru/Shohozan

Y/O: Hakuho/Asanoyama/Kakuryu
S/K: Shodai/Daieisho/Endo
M1-5: Terunofuji/Hokutofuji/Takarafuji
M6-10: Aoiyama/Ryuden/Wakatakakage
M11+: Ishiura/Tobizaru/Shohozan/Shimanoumi

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Very excited for Hoshoryu's maegashira debut. Also for Terutsuyoshi at M3. I think it'll be pretty rough for him at that level, but we might get to see some awesome matches like his win over Asanoyama.

I really want Terutsuyoshi to do well but I'm very nervous about his prospects! Tochinoshin as well, really hope his knee's in decent condition

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Kenning, can you hold a draft spot for me just in case? I've been busy and I don't remember what.timezone you operate in. I should have it up in an hour or so?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Dias posted:

Kenning, can you hold a draft spot for me just in case? I've been busy and I don't remember what.timezone you operate in. I should have it up in an hour or so?

You're good, I'm drafting tomorrow, I just wanna make sure everyone gets their picks in before the night is out.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kenning posted:

You're good, I'm drafting tomorrow, I just wanna make sure everyone gets their picks in before the night is out.

Cool, I made it to my PC sooner than I expected so

Y/O: Asanoyama/Takakeisho
S/K: Mitakeumi/Endo/Shodai
M1-5: Terunofuji/Kiribayama/Tochinoshin
M6-10: Onosho/Kotoeko/Enho
M11+: Kotoshogiku/Kotoshoho/Kaisei

All in on Kotos.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lock posted:

I respect that doubling down on Mitakeumi. Big fan of his myself.

go big, win big

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Helianthus Annuus posted:

he needs to get out on the clay and redeem himself, but it sounds like hes gonna take it easy instead. is he really still injured from that fall?

I suspect he is really still injured, yes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Super late draft today! I'm getting started on it right now. Also, for formality's sake:

y/o: Asanoyama
s/k: Mitakeumi/Daiesho/Shodai
m1-5: Terunofuji/Hokutofuji/Takanosho
m6-10: Wakatakakage/Takayasu/Enho
M11+: Hoshoryu/Tabizaru/Meisei

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Chiyomaru on screen right now, back in Juryo. I missed the thumb got demoted :( this is the worst basho ever.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

gently caress yeah, everything is right with the world. My entire state is on fire, but dem basho boyz are gonna square off, I have a potent adult beverage, and it's still technically Saturday. Let's do this!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Maegashira about to start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

With there being no yokozuna right from the start, I genuinely feel like this is going to be one of the more dynamic bashos in a while. I've only been watching for the last... poo poo, I guess it's four years now, but I can't remember things being this up for grabs. This is awesome.