Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Good. They’re 6 inches away with no masks on screaming in their face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They have to, it would be cramped as gently caress.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1304515485342539776?s=19

Is this the highest VAM ever? Must be up there with contadors famous attack of Armstrong.

I'd be more sus but legs are fresher and there was a group of 3 including Porte who weren't that far behind.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Bernal said he didn’t crack at all, he was putting out his best ever numbers but just being left behind.

If that’s true it’s pretty incredible that Porte and Landa rode away from him, never mind the two Slovenians. Weird Tour.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

It would also fit with EF being adamant Uran could win the tour, he's putting out bernal numbers but that's not enough this year.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Yeah the performances are a bit :tinfoil: this year, similar to the EPO years with all these attacks

My :tinfoil: theory: Skineos are still on the level they've always been, but now everyone else is on some new synthetic EPO-like compound and overtaking them

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
tbf Bernal dropped time on the ultra-steep ramp finishes in the Pyrenees last year and made gains on the big multiple mountain days in the Alps. It’s clearly where he’s vulnerable.

But it is hard to completely disregard that testing was almost entirely stopped during lockdown.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1304515485342539776?s=19

Is this the highest VAM ever? Must be up there with contadors famous attack of Armstrong.

I'd be more sus but legs are fresher and there was a group of 3 including Porte who weren't that far behind.

Contador did ~1900VAM for 21min up Verbier in 2009, which is a 7% average. That’s honestly a lot more suspect than ~2150VAM For 7.5min up 13%. The latter numbers line up with Andy Coggan’s power curve...Contador’s were off the charts.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 12, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

peanut- posted:

tbf Bernal dropped time on the ultra-steep ramp finishes in the Pyrenees last year and made gains on the big multiple mountain days in the Alps. It’s clearly where he’s vulnerable.

But it is hard to completely disregard that testing was almost entirely stopped during lockdown.

Bernal looked awful at the Dauphine and he couldn’t even keep pace with Richie Porte. Let’s not pretend he’s “in peak form” when he was making excuses about back problems last month. It’s pretty clear Ineos dropped the ball on a coherent training schedule during the pandemic with all their GC contenders, including Froome, Thomas and Carapaz.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I have a bad feeling about today's stage. I rate that group, but it's waaaaaaay too small

e: OK, at least we're getting some galaxy brain strategerizing from Team Sunweb

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smirr posted:

I have a bad feeling about today's stage. I rate that group, but it's waaaaaaay too small

how do you rate them op? :smuggo:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/BORAhansgrohe/status/1304748060828991488?s=19

Lol

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:
Bennett looked like me after giving up trying to hang on to the A group

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Richie Porte strikes again.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Let's ban spectators from the finish line

*routes the race through downtown Lyon for the final 15 km*

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
This is good

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I think he's got it

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Bit weird at the end that, felt like they just let him ride off

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

peanut- posted:

They did, I think. Sagan was gassed from chasing down Hirschi, Jumbo Visma didn't really have a horse in the race at any point, and CCC were probably entirely focused on GVA, who also did some uphill chasing. Plus every sprinter was only in that group for the points.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

peanut- posted:

The ones hunting sprint points were all gassed from the flurry of attacks and counters. If you notice in the replay, they are all sprinting seated at the end.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

Bernal said he didn’t crack at all, he was putting out his best ever numbers but just being left behind.

If that’s true it’s pretty incredible that Porte and Landa rode away from him, never mind the two Slovenians. Weird Tour.

Bardet said the same thing. He was putting out numbers higher than his 2nd place finish Tour and just getting left behind.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the real strength of Froome was his habit of not showing up to other races.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
From what I hear, this years top climbers (mostly from two countries, hmm) are beating KOMs that have been around for decades. The peyresourde has been in the tour forever and pogacar bettered the fastest time by 45 seconds or something.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm sure nobody took advantage of the lockdown in any untoward ways.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mpcc-signals-alarming-rise-in-doping-cases-in-cycling/

quote:

The Movement For Credible Cycling (MPCC) has signaled a sharp rise in the number of doping cases in cycling during 2019 compared to the previous six years. The organisation used its credibility barometer to determine that the number of cases have almost doubled in one year and has issued a warning.

"Since the creation of our credibility barometer six years ago, cycling figures had never been this alarming," the MPCC wrote in a statement on its website.

"A year ago, we were writing that data for cycling doping, from one year to the next, was not suggesting any real trend in the medium term, unlike other sports where an ever-increasing number of cases were revealed.

"This year, we’re noting a clear break with the recent past. This sudden increase was equally observed in men’s and women’s cycling, whether it was track cycling or road cycling (all things considered). While cycling had kept plummeting in the list of sports most affected by doping, it rose again from 13th to 5th in the span of just one year."

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/operation-aderlass-investigators-discover-new-doping-product/

quote:

German and Austrian police in charge of the Operation Aderlass anti-doping investigation have uncovered a new doping product, a synthetic blood substitute reportedly already used in the peloton despite not being available on the market.

The product, which has an effect on performance similar to that of EPO, is called H7379 Haemoglobin Human, and is a synthetic form of haemoglobin – the oxygen-transporting metalloprotein which makes up 95 per cent of human red blood cells.

According to Het Nieuwsblad, investigators have information that the product was used by riders to microdose during the 2016 and 2017 seasons. In August, the authorities arrested a Croatian who acted as supplier for the man at the centre of the scandal – ex-Gerolstener and Milram doctor Mark Schmidt. The supplier cooperated with investigators, revealing the existence of H7379.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/romain-bardet-this-is-the-highest-level-tour-de-france-of-my-career/

quote:

“I think I’m participating in the highest level Tour of my career, the level is really impressive,” Bardet said. “I’m doing performances that I’ve never done in the past. I’m breaking records, so the form is very good, but the level is just ultra-high. All the top players are here, with only one or two exceptions. It’s really a race of a very high level and I like it when there’s a battle like that.”

While the reading on Bardet’s power meter suggests that he is exceeding his displays of 2016 and 2017, he accepts that his performance might not be rewarded with a similarly lofty position in Paris on September 20, such is the general level of this post-lockdown Tour.

“It’s being raced faster than before,” he said. “We’re breaking all the climbing records on every col we go up on this Tour, but you have to hang on, believe in yourself and you never know. You feel that teams are less strong than on the Dauphiné, so you need stay confident and optimistic.”

Yeah, just lmao at this tour.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Hmm, Austrian and Croatian interests in the new wave of doping you say? Wonder what country is near... ah. I see.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah, just lmao at this tour.

This has been disproven, at least in Bernal's case.

There is nothing extraordinary about 7.2-7.3w/kg over 7m21s for top world tour climbers. On the other hand 6.7w/kg for 7m59s isn't a TdF winning performance.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Vando posted:

Hmm, Austrian and Croatian interests in the new wave of doping you say? Wonder what country is near... ah. I see.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

bobby jungels murdering higuita.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Is Higuita abandoning or are they pulling him? That was heartbreaking to watch.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

HappyCamperGL posted:

bobby jungels murdering higuita.

He’s fully dead now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They should be testing these abandons straight away for the covid.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I like Dan Lloyd as a co-commentator.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Froome has said the tour is between Roglic and Pogacar lmao.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
H7379 powder is £261 for 10g from Sigma-Aldrich if anyone wants to experiment. I'm not sure how much you'd need to make a difference.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I'm here to keep the gap constant at 4:30 all by myself, and to have my lower lip flap in the wind... and the gap is VERY constant

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Smirr posted:

I'm here to keep the gap constant at 4:30 all by myself, and to have my lower lip flap in the wind... and the gap is VERY constant

Roglic wants a stage win then.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He wants the dots as well. Greedy fucker.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Love a fully unzipped jersey with no chest strap, feels liberating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Roglic wants a stage win then.

Yeah. When the group went, Jens Voigt predicted that they'd have 15-20 minutes by the start of the first climb (i.e. now). I just hope Roglic doesn't wait until the final climb.