Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hall of Fame display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
actually pretty cool

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is the DX7 supposed to be symbolic or did they actually wreck some on stage or something? There’s a video where Trent is hating on them for being disposable mass market junk and how everyone should have used $8,000 boutique analogue synths instead.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

david_a posted:

Is the DX7 supposed to be symbolic or did they actually wreck some on stage or something? There’s a video where Trent is hating on them for being disposable mass market junk and how everyone should have used $8,000 boutique analogue synths instead.

Trent "somethings gonNA geT BROKEEEENNNNN" reznor has a history of breaking keyboards

E: https://youtu.be/o0LXZ1nnpzs

Posting this means that according to the thread cycle we're about due for some pun lyrics

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the mud and keyboard wrecking is a direct reference to their woodstock performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFkkOY1XWU4

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Dx7s are built like loving tanks, "easy to waterproof" (says Charlie Clouser), and the way they handle midi patch changes is super easy, just two buttons to choose bank and sound. you can have the expensive stuff backstage then these things controlling them. They were also really easy to purchase anywhere they were touring at the time, so it wasn't a problem getting the dozens of backups they needed.
Really awkward to make patches on their own without a separate programmer, but simple to use to play something else.
There's a really good (not a high bar, granted) thread on Gearslutz dedicated to NIN gear/sounds that's been going about 10 years that Charlie regularly posts in, a couple of earlier (late 80s/early 90s) collaborators too.

I wish I'd got a pic of Elliot Berlin's Novation after I saw Combichrist, that thing was pretty much bent into a right-angle, had about 5 keys left on it.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 14, 2020

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Hall of Fame display.

The lighting and shadows. :allears:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://twitter.com/ninhotline/status/1294736073365618696

At first I thought this was ice cream, which would've been way more interesting

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 16, 2020

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

TDS ice cream looks like French vanilla with chocolate and caramel swirls 👌

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hey Trent, this box says 10 minutes until "al dente". What the hell does "al dente" mean?

Trent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H21PyAV4zCU&t=81s

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Fragíle. Must be Italian."

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Was anybody on Usenet in like 1999 selling copies of that weird video compilation/fake snuff tape.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

unbuttonedclone posted:

Was anybody on Usenet in like 1999 selling copies of that weird video compilation/fake snuff tape.
The Broken movie? Yeah, that was really the only way to get it as it was never commercially released.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

unbuttonedclone posted:

I got a copy on a blue casing VHS from a mail order place called "The Weathermen" around 1997. Still have it somewhere. I think it had videos for HLAH, DII, Wish, MotP, Closer... And a remix of HLAH. Then the Broken Movie. It even had some lovely graphic of a real polygonal backwards "n" with fire playing inside of it at some point.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Weathermen!! Holy poo poo, I haven't heard that name in awhile. I probably bought every Marilyn Manson video they sold.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I also remember the weathermen, holy poo poo.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I got a VHS copy somewhere around 1997-1998 from a coworker at Best Buy, heck yeah

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I used to have a bootleg VHS of Closure that I got from some old tape-trading network back in the day, but I lost it in a storage shed fire. But the quality wasn't great because they dubbed the tape at a different speed to fit both tapes on one, and then it became redundant after Trent leaked it himself anyway.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I just wanted to find the guy selling them on Usenet at that time because my 16/17-year-old self stiffed them so I wanted to make it right someday.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vr4T0vd5-o

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I watched about half of that one day last week. Pretty good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/1303829526556717056

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
new favourite thing: the contrarian reviewers of Trent Reznor and Atticus Finch's music scores

Christian Clemmensen, member of the International Film Music Critics Association and editor of Filmtracks, who said the score was "as redundantly insufferable as any score in recent memory, with no standout cues, no beginning, no end, no suspense, no adversity, and, most importantly, no sense of accomplishment". He awarded the score the very rare rating of FRISBEE, the lowest Filmtracks rating.

Christian Clemmensen, of Filmtracks, and Jonathan Broxton, of Movie Music UK, dismissed it entirely, the latter considering the score as: "little more than a series of ambient drones, overlaid with various industrial sound effects and staccato rhythms – de-tuned piano chords, plucked bass notes, and the like." He also stated: "When the score isn't jarringly distracting, it's virtually inaudible or indistinguishable from the film’s sound effects, begging the question of why the music is there in the first place.

Jonathan Broxton of Movie Music UK, member of the International Film Music Critics Association, who wrote of the score: "The lack of any emotional development beyond the general mood of uneasiness makes the film a one-note auditory bore. The music stops us from feeling any of the nuance or subtlety the acting or writing may have otherwise provided, because it never alters its disposition. (...) As an artist with Nine Inch Nails, Trent Reznor was genuinely groundbreaking. However, I just don’t buy into all the hype about his film music career. I read reviews from professional critics in well-respected music magazines, and they all laud him as though he is the individual savior of the art, someone who is finally writing the sort of edgy, avant-garde film music we have all needed all these years, but were too stupid to realize. I just don’t buy it. (...) As an album of ambient electronica [Gone Girl] may be appealing to those who have an affinity for that sort of music. However, as actual film music, it’s as much as a failure as its two predecessors."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lid posted:

new favourite thing: the contrarian reviewers of Trent Reznor and Atticus Finch's music scores

Christian Clemmensen, member of the International Film Music Critics Association and editor of Filmtracks, who said the score was "as redundantly insufferable as any score in recent memory, with no standout cues, no beginning, no end, no suspense, no adversity, and, most importantly, no sense of accomplishment". He awarded the score the very rare rating of FRISBEE, the lowest Filmtracks rating.

Christian Clemmensen, of Filmtracks, and Jonathan Broxton, of Movie Music UK, dismissed it entirely, the latter considering the score as: "little more than a series of ambient drones, overlaid with various industrial sound effects and staccato rhythms – de-tuned piano chords, plucked bass notes, and the like." He also stated: "When the score isn't jarringly distracting, it's virtually inaudible or indistinguishable from the film’s sound effects, begging the question of why the music is there in the first place.

Jonathan Broxton of Movie Music UK, member of the International Film Music Critics Association, who wrote of the score: "The lack of any emotional development beyond the general mood of uneasiness makes the film a one-note auditory bore. The music stops us from feeling any of the nuance or subtlety the acting or writing may have otherwise provided, because it never alters its disposition. (...) As an artist with Nine Inch Nails, Trent Reznor was genuinely groundbreaking. However, I just don’t buy into all the hype about his film music career. I read reviews from professional critics in well-respected music magazines, and they all laud him as though he is the individual savior of the art, someone who is finally writing the sort of edgy, avant-garde film music we have all needed all these years, but were too stupid to realize. I just don’t buy it. (...) As an album of ambient electronica [Gone Girl] may be appealing to those who have an affinity for that sort of music. However, as actual film music, it’s as much as a failure as its two predecessors."

If Trent Reznor made music with Atticus Finch... Now THAT would really be something.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If Trent Reznor made music with Atticus Finch... Now THAT would really be something.

I mean, we know they're both BLM supporters.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

sticklefifer posted:

I mean, we know they're both BLM supporters.

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a nun with a motherfucking gun in her hand. It's when you know you're fist hosed before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a nun with a motherfucking gun in her hand. It's when you know you're fist hosed before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely suuuuuurviiiive everything, but sometimes you do."

Fixed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/1306277845325328384

What the hell

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Hahahahahahaha the fanmade titles for the Quake tracks are now official:

SIDE A

01. QUAKE THEME
02. AFTERMATH
03. THE HALL OF SOULS

SIDE B

01. IT IS RAPED
02. PARALLEL DIMENSIONS
03. LIFE

SIDE C

01. DAMNATION
02. FOCUS
03. FALLING
04. THE REACTION

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ordered both of those. They've had them both "coming soon" on the site for literally years now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have never listened to the Quake soundtrack, and only played that game as far as the Mac demo would allow, but I still ordered that record when I got the email.

I keep on saying "No more NIN instrumental albums", but I guess what I am really saying is "I am lying to myself".

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

that urge to collect is ever present - the struggle is real. but $35 usd for yet-another-ambient-trent-reznor-soundtrack, one I haven't listened to more than once or twice in the past 25 years... idk... i'll pass.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Only real heads recognize the greatness of the Quake soundtrack

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

Wallet like a hole.

I had been waiting for this Quake soundtrack forever.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

polyester concept posted:

that urge to collect is ever present - the struggle is real. but $35 usd for yet-another-ambient-trent-reznor-soundtrack, one I haven't listened to more than once or twice in the past 25 years... idk... i'll pass.

Yeah. I throw on the Social Network on Spotify here and there but I doubt either of these would ever get time on my turntable. I'll wait to see if they get to my local shop for a little cheaper but will likely otherwise pass.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The Watchmen LPs are back in stock.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Emmy award winner Trent Reznor & The Nine Inch Nails.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

He only needs a Tony for EGOT status now!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Rageaholic posted:

He only needs a Tony for EGOT status now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Begin with Love Is Not Enough and end with We're In This Together. Bam! Starting point for the new loving Mamma Mia! :smug: