Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Judge Tesla posted:

My only real concern about Age of Calamity is the enemy side didn't really have any real representation in BOTW, the Yiga have their leader but unless the Blight Ganon's suddenly start talking and acting like generals then I'm not sure what we'll be fighting in the campaign missions as far as enemy officers go.

Gold Lynels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

she's a stock character, no different than anyone from the comedia dellarte

This is why Tetra is the best Zelda (even if the ending completely misses the mark) because she gets to have a real life and adventure before she becomes Link’s macguffin.

After her, the best Zelda is OoT, because she ends up getting to be a magical ninja who actually helps link a lot and has plenty of agency within the story as an adult. That Zelda is the most fleshed out to me, because it feels way more like OoT Link needs Sheik way more than Sheik needs Link.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

My only real concern about Age of Calamity is the enemy side didn't really have any real representation in BOTW, the Yiga have their leader but unless the Blight Ganon's suddenly start talking and acting like generals then I'm not sure what we'll be fighting in the campaign missions as far as enemy officers go.

They gonna make up a new villain and some original characters like they did for Hyrule Warriors, don't you worry

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

They gonna make up a new villain and some original characters like they did for Hyrule Warriors, don't you worry

yeah cia was great, a woman who went insane because she found out she couldnt gently caress the handsome non threatening knight

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

yeah cia was great, a woman who went insane because she found out she couldnt gently caress the handsome non threatening knight

Several iterations of that knight that she viewed from outside time itself.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Don’t expect this game to adhere 100% to the BOTW lore, they’ll make up new things as they need to and it will be fine.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I typically don't buy games when a sequel is announced and it looks to just be a more refined and prettier version of the first one... but I don't want to miss out on important booby-witch... uh... lore so i guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for a digital sale!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think the only times Link has actually been a knight are in Hyrule Warriors or in BotW. Usually he's a child with no job but he's also been

A Blacksmith apprentice (MC, LBW, 4Swords?)
A rancher (TP)
A Train conductor (ST)
A Student (SS)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BotW2 is a stealth Spirit Tracks sequel, now that we have the technology to let you build and manage the tracks throughout the world.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m completely onboard with Breath of the Railroad Tycoon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

BotW2 is a stealth Spirit Tracks sequel, now that we have the technology to let you build and manage the tracks throughout the world.

Sure now that you can break the physics engine over your knee and fly your train whatever you want

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I mean I was kidding at first but now I actually do want to design Hyrule's rail transit system, as a giant roller coaster heading straight into Death Mountain.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I hope the boss fights and tools are better in this one. They're a good idea, but the mechanics were more frustrating than fun.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m completely onboard with Breath of the Railroad Tycoon.

I could get on board with this

Trains would make good boss battles

The Dark Tower meets SnowPiercer

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I can't wait to hear a buttrock version of the Guardian battle music though.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

RickRogers posted:

Before this thread starts getting too serious:

https://youtu.be/FvxE6IUCPxU

This is fantastic. I assume each person had to animate a handful of seconds, and just brought whatever style they wanted.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

People put together a cut of Star Wars A New Hope giving each person like six seconds of film to do in whatever style they wanted. It’s a really neat form of collaborative art.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

RickRogers posted:

Link is a non character, I know they try to give him a little backstory in most games but he is still my blank slate avatar that I will name Lurnk or Zelda or Rick whenever I can.

If people identify more with Zelda more and that's why they want to have her as their playable character, then I pity them.

I don't think anyone is hugely invested in a playable Zelda--- I think what people want is a female main character, and Zelda is the most important woman in every Zelda game and the deuteragonist in a bunch of them, so she's the most obvious candidate. I'm pretty sure everyone who says "I want a playable Zelda!" would be just as thrilled if Link was a girl in the next game; it's just not going to happen* in a game like BotW2 because, well, we already know Link is a boy because we played the first game.

*it's not going to happen anyway because I don't think Nintendo would make such a dramatic move, but it could easily happen while still showing the reverence of the series' tradition that is a hallmark of the series

e: obviously I could be wrong because I'm talking about what other people think in their hearts but I am pretty sure this is what's going on most of the time

nrook fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 13, 2020

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Botw3 where you play as Paya

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

nrook posted:

I don't think anyone is hugely invested in a playable Zelda--- I think what people want is a female main character, and Zelda is the most important woman in every Zelda game and the deuteragonist in a bunch of them, so she's the most obvious candidate. I'm pretty sure everyone who says "I want a playable Zelda!" would be just as thrilled if Link was a girl in the next game; it's just not going to happen* in a game like BotW2 because, well, we already know Link is a boy because we played the first game.

*it's not going to happen anyway because I don't think Nintendo would make such a dramatic move, but it could easily happen while still showing the reverence of the series' tradition that is a hallmark of the series

e: obviously I could be wrong because I'm talking about what other people think in their hearts but I am pretty sure this is what's going on most of the time

Peoples hearts are twisted and withered centres of malice, so probably yeah.

A female incarnation of link would be way more preferable, for me and my blackened heart at least, than Zelda as the main playable avatar.

But I think Nintendo will actually make Zelda playable, but not as the main character. She will either be controllable as a temporary measure that fits in with the story (links been injured, Zelda needs to complete a Zelda specific dungeon for the cure) or/and a second character to complete puzzles with.

This would also appeal to me, but I still think that it would be nice for the game that comes after BotW2 to allow you to be either a female or male descendent/reincarnation of Link.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

So, Linkle? Does she exist anywhere outside Hyrule Warriors?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nintendo's power to design and write Zeldas who are charming and sympathetic has been increasing exponentially since 1991. It's a very dangerous game they're playing.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Link is a girl

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Captain Hygiene posted:

So, Linkle? Does she exist anywhere outside Hyrule Warriors?

No, she was invented for the 3DS port and hasn't been referenced anywhere else. She doesn't even appear in the original WiiU version

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Although iirc there was concept art for her from the Wii U version with basically the same design.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Linkle isn't link but there's really no reason you shouldn't be able to choose link's gender at the start of the game at some point

Male
Female
Androgynous/ NB

What would it change? I guess the usual people would freak out about implied lesbianism or something?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The only one I'd want to keep as is, is the CDi one because "LINK, MAH BOY" flows pretty well, all the others should have the option.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Zore posted:

No, she was invented for the 3DS port and hasn't been referenced anywhere else. She doesn't even appear in the original WiiU version

There was concept art of her for the WiiU version, but they decided not to include her. Then the concept art was super popular so they added her for the Ports.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Linkle is unironically the greatest character in the history of Zelda.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just want big muscley hunks to jump out of the fairy fountains

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Linkle is unironically the greatest character in the history of Zelda.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I just want big muscley hunks to jump out of the fairy fountains

big jojo beefcakes with lats, traps, and delts the size of european enclaves would be an excellent addition to any game

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m pulling for the BS Zelda characters to make a comeback.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The Bloop posted:

Sure now that you can break the physics engine over your knee and fly your train whatever you want

Train whistle sprinting :hmmyes:

Here's a story from my 5 year old, innocently describing playing Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening. "There's a monkey that throws nuts at you, but I can just run up and chop his nuts with my sword. It's really easy to chop his nuts up."

He has zero idea that nuts is a euphemism for testicles :3:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

big jojo beefcakes with lats, traps, and delts the size of european enclaves would be an excellent addition to any game

Still not as terrifying as the Great Fairies of the N64 era games. I had nightmares of their laughter as a child.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Geostomp posted:

Still not as terrifying as the Great Fairies of the N64 era games. I had nightmares of their laughter as a child.

who said that would be terrifying?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

who said that would be terrifying?

My bad. I didn’t read the preceding posts. I saw the word”JoJo” and immediately went to “comedy/horror” characters. Was envisioning a giant hulk doing poses with the same in-you-face madness demeanor as the N64 fairies.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 14, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/switch_movie_ss/status/1305508878189096960?s=21

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Tetra is the best Zelda.

TP Zelda does have a cool sword (that is there for her to throw down in surrender).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Gonna need another century-long spa day to fix this one.