Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

looking at my settings on the PC, i've got the rendering distance at like 1/3 of the max so maybe it's not as high as i remember. maybe there's some more room for it though. but yeah, the rendering distance is the big one and turning on/off some of the "fancy" graphics options too since they're really not that impactful (i'm just talking the default options) and you can probably get it working on a lot of systems.

it definitely makes my laptop hot whenever I played it on there, and it's always really slow when generating new stuff. but if you're in a region that you've been in for a while its usually pretty responsive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

oh for best performance you can download and install optifine

I just tested and I get 150fps using optifine and no shaders or resource packs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Are there any mods that are like the old industrial craft mods where you build machines but that are updated for the new versions of minecraft? Last time I checked all the mods were still on v1.8 or something

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

install optifine

yeah, this is the stuff i don't want to gently caress around with. i'll just stick with my win 10 version and not worry about game janitoring.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

tony hawk is still a good game. loving it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Are there any mods that are like the old industrial craft mods where you build machines but that are updated for the new versions of minecraft? Last time I checked all the mods were still on v1.8 or something

all the mods are more or less still on 1.12 because 1.13 completely reworked how water functions (blocks can now be wet, meaning you can have plants and whatnot in water) and the primary third-party modding API decided to rewrite from scratch for 1.13 since Mojang has also been migrating the game from hardcoding everything to having actual (properly namespaced) assets stored in data files

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I guess I mean are there any mods that work for the new version of Minecraft that have a similar feel to industrial craft. I don't need it to be that exact mod but I did like building giant factories to automatically manufacture mushroom stew and convert fish into omnimatter and stuff

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

oh, if you want the Factorio experience there's things like Thermal Expansion for machinery & item pipes and Applied Energistics for automation (this one is wild, you build mini-factories that can take certain inputs and produce certain outpus and then teach the mod the dependency graph to use your different mini-factories to assemble the sub-components for your final product)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, like, it's not exactly the factorio experience i'm after, but the most fun i've had in minecraft is building big self-sustaining compounds. pump infinite amounts of lava from the nether to power the machines that automatically grow and harvest mushrooms in the basement and pipe them up to the kitchen. trap chickens with an automatic trapdoor baited with wheat, wash all their eggs and feathers into a pipe, have an infinite supply of arrows and chicken meat. etc

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I haven't really built super complicated machinery but as I understand it all of that can be done in the base game except turning feathers into arrows. unless you want the meat and feathers sorted separately, there doesn't seem to be a base part that can do that

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

my greatest achievement in minecraft was building a giant obsidian tower on an island in a lake. had my own water/lava quarry set up to do it and everything. i painstakingly built that thing with a diamond pickaxe and glass, and when i was done i thought "that's really cool". then i shut the game off and haven't played it since.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The best thing I did in Minecraft was uninstall HEYOOOOOOOOOO

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

haveblue posted:

I haven't really built super complicated machinery but as I understand it all of that can be done in the base game except turning feathers into arrows. unless you want the meat and feathers sorted separately, there doesn't seem to be a base part that can do that

no, you can build item sorters with some bullshit involving hoppers and redstone and some way of moving items around (either flowing water or a chest minecart)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don’t like Minecraft and I never play it really, but I will pop into it in VR every once in a while to screw around because the sense of scale in that game is amazing.

some VR games don’t do scale well. like you can tell that this thing you’re staring at is supposed to be huge, but for whatever obscure mathematical reason, it really doesn’t seem like it to the point that it tricks your brain in VR.

Minecraft has that nailed. when you climb a huge hill and look down in VR, it really does look and feel like you’re hundreds of feet up and it’s really awesome to see and experience

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I got loving high anxiety when hacking DiMA's memories in Fallout 4 and there's absolutely no reason they did it that way.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

President Beep posted:

yeah, this is the stuff i don't want to gently caress around with. i'll just stick with my win 10 version and not worry about game janitoring.

well it’s just a jar you put into the .minecraft folder then you select it from the launcher instead of the vanilla client

as far as video game janitoring goes it’s benign at best and yields really solid performance improvements

being honest tho the only reason java is better than bedrock is because the redstone stuff works better, if you just wanna build cool stuff any version will do and bedrock technically has better performance potential since it’s written in C++

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol there's an unwritten rule in VR game dev not to suddenly move the player's viewpoint without their say-so etc; there's a quest in Skyrim where you have to go clear out a dungeon for one of the gods and they fly you up way into the sky suddenly and unannounced while doing the mission briefing that wasn't changed at all for the VR version, that was a ayee gently caress moment :o:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Roosevelt posted:

my greatest achievement in minecraft was building a giant obsidian tower on an island in a lake. had my own water/lava quarry set up to do it and everything. i painstakingly built that thing with a diamond pickaxe and glass, and when i was done i thought "that's really cool". then i shut the game off and haven't played it since.

same but the first large hill i climbed became a skull fortress and the top was a lava and water pool that would flow next to each other through a spine of glass and rock with a spiral staircase to the bedrock

also the door in the mouth was a highway through several climates

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol there's an unwritten rule in VR game dev not to suddenly move the player's viewpoint without their say-so etc; there's a quest in Skyrim where you have to go clear out a dungeon for one of the gods and they fly you up way into the sky suddenly and unannounced while doing the mission briefing that wasn't changed at all for the VR version, that was a ayee gently caress moment :o:

yeah that was rude as hell. at least linear motion is less disruptive than forcing a turn on the player, that'll knock out almost anybody

I did like what they did with the intro, though. they obviously can't put the VR player through the animation of kneeling down and placing your head sideways on the block, so they just teleport your viewpoint onto the block right side up. like they had already removed your head and carefully balanced it there

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

haveblue posted:

yeah that was rude as hell. at least linear motion is less disruptive than forcing a turn on the player, that'll knock out almost anybody

I offer you to go try the free Home - A VR Spacewalk

https://store.steampowered.com/app/512270/Home__A_VR_Spacewalk/

I have never felt like I have had an actual rug pulled from out under my VR feet til I got attached to the big maintenance arm on the ISS and it started moving without my say-so, literally staggered me.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

well it’s just a jar you put into the .minecraft folder then you select it from the launcher instead of the vanilla client

yeah, i used to jump through the hoops. i have zero interest in doing it anymore.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

there isn't any hoop to jump through now, it has an installer that you just run

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lmao at this actual speedrun strat to get up to the next mission trigger ASAP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeacBvOEF_M

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

they do this once in alyx on purpose: before the final level you start to levitate off the ground in some sort of tractor beam. you only float for a few seconds but it was a deliberate choice to disorient you for a bit before the insane funhouse that is the last level. It's really well done.

also reminder to anyone with a headset that hasn't played alyx yet: what the gently caress why haven't you played alyx

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I was VRing the other day and all of a sudden the sound just turned into complete audio distortion and it continued when I exited the game into SteamVR lobby and I've been avoiding testing it again after rebooting

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i was poking around with a vr headset and i clicked the "virtual desktop" button while playing a 4k netflix stream and it instantly blew up my computer. like a hard lock CPU crash with the DRDRDRDRDRDRDRDRDRDR sound until i killed power to the machine.

well done to all programmers involved

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Sagebrush posted:

i was poking around with a vr headset and i clicked the "virtual desktop" button while playing a 4k netflix stream and it instantly blew up my computer. like a hard lock CPU crash with the DRDRDRDRDRDRDRDRDRDR sound until i killed power to the machine.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Sagebrush posted:

this feels a lot like burning cds back in the days where if you tried to burn a cd and also start netscape during the process you'd toaster your cd 80% of the time.

some times computes just don't wanna do more than one thing at once.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The best thing I did in Minecraft was uninstall HEYOOOOOOOOOO

lol

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

JYDGE at this price is worth picking up this new Fanatical Bundle alone

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/outlaw-bundle

The rest idk, the cop one looks a little bootlicky :o:

Thanks for posting this. JYDGE looks cool, I'll probably at least have a look at the train one and Tropicana 4.

I wasn't aware of that site, but it looks like it's worth keeping an eye on. You really get a lot of james for buttons these days with things like humble bundle.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Father Jack posted:

Thanks for posting this. JYDGE looks cool, I'll probably at least have a look at the train one and Tropicana 4.

I wasn't aware of that site, but it looks like it's worth keeping an eye on. You really get a lot of james for buttons these days with things like humble bundle.

It used to be Bundlestars if you ever used that, but yeah there's occasionally good deals pop up even if you only want one thing in the bundle. You can always gift the other keys away if you have friends who like the other stuff.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
finished hitman 2016. colorado sucks. going to take a break before hitman 2. metro exodus i guess

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

this feels a lot like burning cds back in the days where if you tried to burn a cd and also start netscape during the process you'd toaster your cd 80% of the time.

I think it was the Edge drm module that netflix requires to show 4k disagreeing with whatever oculus does to capture and repeat the screen.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I think it was the Edge drm module that netflix requires to show 4k disagreeing with whatever oculus does to capture and repeat the screen.

sounds like an edge case op

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh for sure, but i am weirdly pleased by the quality of the 4k stream for tv shows that were originally done on film. i didn't think i would care but here we are. star trek tng is crisp and viewing it in chrome, which only does 1080p, is noticeably worse.

sucks that i can't take screenshots though.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Fairly interesting; the architectural inspirations for Control

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/352097/The_real_buildings_that_inspired_Controls_Oldest_House.php

Shame the example pics aren't bigger / click-to-embiggen tho

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Fairly interesting; the architectural inspirations for Control

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/352097/The_real_buildings_that_inspired_Controls_Oldest_House.php

Shame the example pics aren't bigger / click-to-embiggen tho
I'm not far in but I loving love sciencemidcentury architecture so I am into it big time

the hydraulic room was probably heavily inspired by wright's johnson wax design

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I kinda want to play through control again on ps4 but there is no NG+ or even multiple save slots so the only way to do it is to nuke my existing save

maybe in a few years when the ultimate edition goes up on ps+ and I can do it on a 5 with ray tracing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I will never understand games that don't allow multiple saves or easy starting over. sometimes you want those new game vibes once you're good at it

the crew 1 saves your progress on ubi's own servers and it's apparently impossible to start over without deleting your uplay account entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ng+ is one of the best gameplay inventions ever. playing through the game the second time with all the powers unlocked is often even more fun than the first time through