Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Leal posted:

Thats it I'm putting in my 2 week notice at my crappy retail job and I'm gonna stream every neptunia game ever made. I don't need 150k/yr, I'd be happy with a trifling 10% of that.

I would rather go hungry than work in retail right now with the whole mask thing right now, my sympathies :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

Yeah, a cartoon face that tracks a person's face as they talk in a fake voice is creepy. It's not exactly an uncommon view.

there's definitely an uncanny aspect to it especially when they bug out

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
ok grandpa go listen to the mets game on the radio or do a puzzle or w/e visiting hours are over

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

Yeah, a cartoon face that tracks a person's face as they talk in a fake voice is creepy. It's not exactly an uncommon view.
Screaming in terror at the live caller episode of the simpsons

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
getting pissed off over people not liking my precious computer friends.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
It's okay Kanae-kun, the mean poster didn't really mean it.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Casey Finnigan posted:

getting pissed off over people not liking my precious computer friends.

big words from casey "holodomor hospitality" finnigan

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
I barely even watch them i just thought you were being a mite overdramatic

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Farg posted:

big words from casey "holodomor hospitality" finnigan

??? Who are you?

e: good thing you guys are being very normal about this. god otaku are the loving worst.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

John Murdoch posted:

At this point there's enough variety of types of streams that it always comes off as weird to me when people write the entire concept off because they tried watching a couple and didn't like them.

I will say larger, popular channels are the worst when they indulge in the full parasocial bullshit of allowing every single follow, subscription, gift subscription, bit donation, whatever the gently caress to totally overtake the actual content of the stream. That poo poo is truly the worst.

Yeah, all of this.

I am an Incredibly Small Time Internet Person--I run fighting game tournaments and we only just cracked 100 average viewers for our main game. We have no alerts. Donations (to the event pot; neither I nor my volunteer team take a dime out of it) show up in a little scrolling bar at the bottom, and that's it. We don't go crazy for hosts or raids or subscriptions, and I kinda discourage subscriptions because I have a real job and just throw subscription revenue into the next event pot.

We call them shows rather than streams and we try to treat them as such, and our viewers seen pretty happy with our shows being a bit of a respite from a lot of the other Twitch craziness. But, at the same time, I can do that because our events are effectively a community donation; between Tekken and Street Fighter I spend $120 a week on running events to keep my community engaged during COVID, and that's totally fine. I have to feel for folks whose actual living is tied to serving dopamine hits to stream monster viewers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Also while i appreciate breaking gender norms why would i use -kun for a cutesy anime girl? Think this stuff through

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Endorph posted:

Also while i appreciate breaking gender norms why would i use -kun for a cutesy anime girl? Think this stuff through

-kun can be used for women and also Kanae is a famous male vtuber character.

I'm glad that anime fans aren't unbelievably insecure and obnoxious about their tastes or someone might accuse me of supporting the holodomor or something.

lol I hope that guy comes back and quotes whatever supposed post is supposed to exist where I said something like that.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 13, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

-kun can be used for women and also Kanae is a famous male vtuber character.

I'm glad that anime fans aren't unbelievably insecure and obnoxious about their tastes or someone might accuse me of supporting the holodomor or something.
yeah i dont know what the guy going on about the holodomor was about i just wanted to tease someone for being slightly overblown

also that should prove that i dont watch a lot of vtubers!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I watched a vtuber be really good at Dragon's lair NES once

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I don't know or care about vtubers, but if they make ou feel better in this nightmare capitalist hellscape go for it.

Me I use dumb gacha games as escapism.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vo2dVyzoYA

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://twitter.com/DakDread/status/1279202612273983490
https://twitter.com/AnimegirlENG/status/1289203824863793152
https://twitter.com/Iron_Mouse/status/1303499187129126912

Vtubers good.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Dont worry, scary anime person can't hurt you
Scary anime person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKsvB0b_OkY

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Wow, that looks really awkward, are they mocapped live or is it just a set of prerendered animations?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm glad jojo is teaching people important english phrases

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hel posted:

Wow, that looks really awkward, are they mocapped live or is it just a set of prerendered animations?
The eye/mouth/head movements are captured but the facial expression has to be changed manually I think

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Hel posted:

They do face tracking to move a Live 2D model, generally, with the exception of facial expressions which have a bunch of pre-made settings, yeah

It can look a bit janky sometimes but imo it's never super bad unless their PC isn't good enough to render the model in 60fps and it starts hitching

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/gaywiiu/status/1305227924124172293

Also I called vtubers before they were even a thing and I regret not patenting the idea of using facerig with an anime girl model to use in a facecam for LPs

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Live2D rigging can be set to react to everything from head movements to eyes blinking to mouth opening and closing. There are some settings you can implement like making permanent expressions appear or putting in anime sweat drops or tear streams, but doing that real time would be a pain in the rear end so it's mostly automated.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

After a lot of trials and tribulations getting in the way, Tim Rogers has finally put out his video on Doom. It's 3.5 hours long and is no doubt good as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38zduHkwGcc

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Casey Finnigan posted:

??? Who are you?

e: good thing you guys are being very normal about this. god otaku are the loving worst.
I have it on good authority that you are both dumb, and also so goddamn crazy, and thus I can safely dismiss your opinions

more seriously, it's an extremely new medium. vtubers have only been a thing for four years or so, and the technology for facerigging has been improving over time. like, 90's CGI was terrible, but now we've got incredibly good looking CGI, give it time and I'm sure vtuber style facerigging will get out of the uncanny valley or at least not so extremely limited like most of them are now. lmfao that rules

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RareAcumen posted:

Can we just skip to the end of this smug off and just have someone record their phone & desktop on how to hide the chat on twitch already?

For the record, I wasn't trying to be smug. I was forced to assume something was dumb and different about Twitch on mobile, which I have basically no experience with whatsoever, because hiding chat on desktop is so ridiculously simple that I can't imagine that somebody legitimately looked for it but couldn't find it.

I'm not even talking about collapsing the chat tab like JordanKai showed. There's a bog standard options gear button under the chat bar that pops open a little menu which includes a button literally labeled "Hide Chat" which will completely stop all chat messages from being sent until you turn it back on. I use it all the time in big streams where it's just an endless scroll of noise and maybe sometimes the streamer responds to 1 message out of thousands.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hiding the chat is also good when it's dead or unnecessary, like when i have nature streams on my television via a fire stick

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

John Murdoch posted:

For the record, I wasn't trying to be smug. I was forced to assume something was dumb and different about Twitch on mobile, which I have basically no experience with whatsoever, because hiding chat on desktop is so ridiculously simple that I can't imagine that somebody legitimately looked for it but couldn't find it.

I'm not even talking about collapsing the chat tab like JordanKai showed. There's a bog standard options gear button under the chat bar that pops open a little menu which includes a button literally labeled "Hide Chat" which will completely stop all chat messages from being sent until you turn it back on. I use it all the time in big streams where it's just an endless scroll of noise and maybe sometimes the streamer responds to 1 message out of thousands.

Some streamers will also enable 'slow mode' where there's a timecap to how quickly you can submit messages, as well as limiting chat to only people who follow the channel or are subscribed. That can cut down on message spam.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

shut up about vtubers, bdg has a new video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV__C64Ni50

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
BDG is the only good theater kid on youtube

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
every vtuber video that is at all funny would be way better if they weren't a vtuber

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Because the entire purpose of the face cam is to do the whole parasocial relationship thing. There's always been a thin pretense of "It's so they can see me react, bro" even though most people either don't react because gamers are generally incredibly sedentary and boring to watch, or they're acting in incredibly exaggerated ways designed to entertain people to keep them watching. When you use a virtual avatar you kind of drop that pretense entirely and just have a cute mascot dancing around for people to throw money at. Give Clippy money, Clippy is cute and does the funny expressions every time he gets a kill streak! Like, it is incredibly cynical to assume I guess; but it's become such a pointlessly mandatory part of streaming.

i don't really understand whats supposed to be weird here? when i watch streams its to see the streamer react to the game and not the game (its cool if you think thats stupid i completely agree). if i just want gameplay i can find plenty of that by people who actually know what theyre doing

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 14, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

every streamer video that is at all funny would be way better if they were a talking hamburger.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

every vtuber video that is at all funny would be way better if they weren't a vtuber

I do not agree, personally

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

and no one would watch them because there are 100x more streamers that are not vtubers. Like it or not, it's a way for streamers to distinguish themselves from the enormous crowd.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Farm Frenzy posted:

i don't really understand whats supposed to be weird here? when i watch streams its to see the streamer react to the game and not the game (its cool if you think thats stupid i completely agree). if i just want gameplay i can find plenty of that by people who actually know what theyre doing

I'm not saying that's weird, I'm saying that's exactly why people show their faces in videos where they don't need to show their faces. And you see it in other video styles, not just video games; if you're making a video series showing off cool toys, you don't really need to show off your face since you'd think the camera would be focused on the toys right? But instead now you find people putting in lots of effort to be seen with the toys, as people and not just disembodied voices commentating over the things they're showing off. Making the human connection to build a brand and fanbase is the entire purpose.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Srice posted:

After a lot of trials and tribulations getting in the way, Tim Rogers has finally put out his video on Doom. It's 3.5 hours long and is no doubt good as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38zduHkwGcc

I realize it's not going to be for everyone but I really enjoy the way Tim Rogers uses game reviews as a jumping-off point for really affecting personal essays. This video is indeed good as hell.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

and no one would watch them because there are 100x more streamers that are not vtubers. Like it or not, it's a way for streamers to distinguish themselves from the enormous crowd.

Gives them a safe shroud of anonymity from creepers and stalkers too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I like Fubuki.