Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I guess it's not your friend's fault that he didn't realize he was ruining one of the greatest games ever.

Most people play this and wish they could forget it all so they could play it again, imagine not even getting to play it fresh once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzzzz
Mar 11, 2020
Interesting discovery: You can walk through patches of ghost matter when they are underwater.

Which just confirms how the Hearthians and jellyfish survived

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

zzzzz posted:

Interesting discovery: You can walk through patches of ghost matter when they are underwater.

...Where? I don't recall any.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

E: Do not mash the post button, friends, it is a dark road.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Teledahn posted:

...Where? I don't recall any.

Giant's deep when the islands plunge back into the water

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
I was reading through some of the changes between the alpha and release versions of the game, and not many things were surprising. Most of the changes were things like "graphics and gameplay updated, implemented this area that wasn't part of the game yet", but one thing really jumped out at me.

In the alpha version, the Nomai Vessel was the cause of the space-bending insanity in Dark Bramble, not a victim of it. It's described that the Vessel caused the "corruption" of Dark Bramble. This makes me wonder how much of the overarching story was planned during the alpha, though I suppose the story of the Nomai's curiosity about the Eye of the Universe really isn't affected by that -- it just paints the Nomai in a slightly different light. In the release version of the game, the Nomai technology is portrayed as completely, perfectly safe, to the degree that they actually tried and failed to blow up the sun. The Nomai are depicted as supremely respectful of each other, of their environment, of their technology, and of life that hasn't even evolved to sentience yet, and I think this does change their characterization a little bit.

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014

zzzzz posted:

:aaaaa:

this game. this loving game.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
Not using autopilot led me to discover you don't need to slow down at all when travelling to Giant's Deep, the water will take care of it for you provided you don't slam into one of the islands at interplanetary speeds.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kiss me Pikachu posted:

Not using autopilot led me to discover you don't need to slow down at all when travelling to Giant's Deep, the water will take care of it for you provided you don't slam into one of the islands at interplanetary speeds.

Go fast enough and you can actually penetrate the currents layer, although you have to be going really fast. Nets you an achievement.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Sometimes I look at the negative reviews for this game on Steam when I need a good laugh.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Kiranamos posted:

Sometimes I look at the negative reviews for this game on Steam when I need a good laugh.

Oh man, this is great.

Love the guy saying it's a rip-off of Majora's Mask.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Just beat the game and it was trippy as hell. Question re: a certain node in dark bramble Is there a way to get past the angler fish while still in the ship? I ended up stopping right outside the red node and making the rest of the journey in my suit since its not as loud, but I feel like theres some way to finesse the ship past without getting eaten

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Control Volume posted:

Just beat the game and it was trippy as hell. Question re: a certain node in dark bramble Is there a way to get past the angler fish while still in the ship? I ended up stopping right outside the red node and making the rest of the journey in my suit since its not as loud, but I feel like theres some way to finesse the ship past without getting eaten

It's meant to be done with controller where you barely thrust forwards. The easier trick though is to just barrel into the portal at ludicrous speed and drift past them all without thrusting because momentum is mostly maintained

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Rynoto posted:

It's meant to be done with controller where you barely thrust forwards. The easier trick though is to just barrel into the portal at ludicrous speed and drift past them all without thrusting because momentum is mostly maintained

I found that no matter how fast I entered the red portal my speed and angle was reset to something agonizingly slow so you get a good long view of the angler fish's dental hygiene. Wondering if this was patched in to enforce tension?

I was always missing the fish but had to wait a minute or two until I'd slowly reached the red fish eggs and they couldn't hear me.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
You can just continue drifting in the same direction you had at the entrance after the red light until you don't hear the fishes anymore then speed towards your destination. As always on that planet it's just a matter of waiting more than most people apparently have patience for.

Also yeah the portals reset speed and heading (at least it was that way one year ago and people were still thinking speeding into them was a thing) so the whole thing about gathering speed before entering them is some kinda weird placebo thing.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

the trick to that section is to just be patient. you have plenty of time :)

your biggest enemy there is you.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

If you're really worried about time there's a button on your controller that lets you look around the inside of the cockpit while strapped in and there's a button in the cockpit that can give you a boost.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
This has been sitting in my Steam library for a while after I bought it on sale a while back and I've managed to avoid learning much of anything about it. Played for a few hours and I can see why people say not to spoil anything, each planet I visit has some intriguing new thing that I don't understand at all.

So far I've visited the probe launcher that gets destroyed at the beginning of each loop. I'm guessing its destruction is linked somehow to the time loop, the probe appears to be launching out into the middle of nowhere and I don't think my ship can catch up to it.

Visited the guy on the gas planet who's caught in the loop as well, landed on another island and died to ghost matter. Can't find a way to get past the current at the core and see what the jellyfish things are.

Most of my time was spent reading all the stuff on the planet with the black hole in the middle. Found out that it links to the white hole on the edge of the solar system and did something with the quantum tower on the other side before I died somehow in a white flash. Apparently there's a quantum moon somewhere which evades detection and you can only land on its south pole. Quantum tower seems to be the gateway to getting there but I have no idea how.

Found some logs about a project involving the twin planets, visited the ash one and noticed it's slowly getting absorbed by the other one revealing some kind of giant machine.

Landed on the comet, found a shuttle which I think is the same one I was able to recall to the black hole planet. Launching it from there didn't seem to help much but I'm guessing I have to do it at a specific time.

Tried to visit the sun base a few times but ended up just crashing into the sun and dying each time. Don't think my ship is able to select it as an autopilot destination.

Visited the bramble planet on the edge of the solar system and flew inside. I seemed to be shrinking in scale the further I went into it then an anglerfish ate me.

I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on anywhere or where I'm "supposed" to go and it's great.

Thinking this might be a good game to try out with the VR mod my first time through, I don't get enough excuses to use my Quest and Outer Wilds seems like the sort of thing that would be well suited to it as long as the mod implementation isn't too janky.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Control Volume posted:

When you enter the red node with the 3 looming anglerfish just literally dont touch the controller at all and drift

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Darox posted:

If you're really worried about time there's a button on your controller that lets you look around the inside of the cockpit while strapped in and there's a button in the cockpit that can give you a boost.

quoted for truth :orks101:

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

So far I've visited the probe launcher that gets destroyed at the beginning of each loop. I'm guessing its destruction is linked somehow to the time loop, the probe appears to be launching out into the middle of nowhere and I don't think my ship can catch up to it.

You can catch the probe. It's kind of hard to match speed, but not as hard as the sun station. There's nothing to do there, it's just a cool thing to see up close.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Thinking this might be a good game to try out with the VR mod my first time through, I don't get enough excuses to use my Quest and Outer Wilds seems like the sort of thing that would be well suited to it as long as the mod implementation isn't too janky.

The VR mod is very cool, but requires running the physics at a higher framerate, which can cause problems for some of the more physics-intensive sections like the floating islands on Giant's Deep, so maybe get those out of the way first.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

massive spider posted:

When you enter the red node with the 3 looming anglerfish just literally dont touch the controller at all and drift

Been saying this!!

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014
Replaying the game by watching someone who never played is pretty drat awesome.

By some insane RNG, he realized super early that the probe launcher was shooting at different direction every cycle (it shot straight towards Timber Heart), which made him :aaa: for a little while :v:. The theories he made up for that were awesome and is honestly the best part of this game..

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Lamare posted:

By some insane RNG, he realized super early that the probe launcher was shooting at different direction every cycle (it shot straight towards Timber Heart), which made him :aaa: for a little while :v:. The theories he made up for that were awesome and is honestly the best part of this game..

Share with the class please

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lamare posted:

What actually happens if the probe fires directly into a planet? Does it have collision and just crash and you can go and find it?

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

What actually happens if the probe fires directly into a planet? Does it have collision and just crash and you can go and find it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CWGrN_IAE4 (spoilers obviously) :getin:

Answer : It seems to have collision with objects, but not with planets. As you can see in the video, it seems to go straight through, and in our playthrough, we never found it anywhere as it flew above us. I was actually wondering how could the probe go throught Giant's Deep myself if it was shoting on that side...

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Share with the class please

He thought : At first, he thought it was a bug. So he killed himself and he was surprised to see it was shooting ''kinda'' in the same direction as before. He just started playing, it was his third loop. So he wanted to know if it was just two or three predirected directions, or infinitely many. He killed himself again to test that (lol). He never been there before, so he went there next. He thought the station was in another time loop in itself and wasn't sure why it was the case. He haven't made the link with the masks in the ATP yet.

He also found out super early, a little bit after that, that by stranding out of the solar system all the other stars were exploding aswell. He now thinks the Nomai are exploding not only our own star, but all the other stars because of that drat probe. I can't wait for him to reach the Sun Station :v:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Lamare posted:

I noticed it pretty early too and my theory for a while was that they realized they wouldn't be able to find it in time so they used some quantum poo poo to pick a truly random direction for their one and only shot believing that, given an infinite number of universes, one universe would find the eye and survive, and that when you wake up it's not a time loop but rather a different parallel universe

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Feels like I'm so close to figuring out what I need to do.

Learned all three quantum rules, traveled to the quantum moon and made the tower travel to the eye of the universe but the door out is blocked by quantum rock. Spinning around doesn't make it go away and it seems to be there whether I make the tower transport from the north or south hemispheres of a quantum moon.

Gonna investigate the last few things I haven't tied together in my rumor web and try to figure it out. Still haven't managed to investigate the inside of Dark Bramble in any meaningful way.

e: Figured it out pretty quickly after posting. North POLE, northern hemisphere isn't enough. Kind of surprised that doesn't seem to lead to an actual ending though. Met up with the Nomai still alive on the quantum moon at the sixth location and got some more context for things but I guess there's still a lot more to explore. I know the probe tracking module is in the core of Giant's Deep since I saw it through the holographic tablet thing and I can take the counterclockwise tornado to get below the current, I'm guessing the jellyfish have something to do with Dark Bramble but I have absolutely no idea how to get through the electric shell guarding the actual core. Don't think I've read a single thing alluding to a solution anywhere so far.
vvvv

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 13, 2020

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Feels like I'm so close to figuring out what I need to do.

Learned all three quantum rules, traveled to the quantum moon and made the tower travel to the eye of the universe but the door out is blocked by quantum rock. Spinning around doesn't make it go away and it seems to be there whether I make the tower transport from the north or south hemispheres of a quantum moon.

Gonna investigate the last few things I haven't tied together in my rumor web and try to figure it out. Still haven't managed to investigate the inside of Dark Bramble in any meaningful way.

You might need to reread one of the rules.

zzzzz
Mar 11, 2020
I realized for that part that it's not just "left and right", but there's a lot more options that I missed the first time I visited.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

[Redacted] ...have something to do with Dark Bramble but I have absolutely no idea... [Redacted]

Have you visited Dark Bramble? What have you found there?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Teledahn posted:

Have you visited Dark Bramble? What have you found there?

Figured out that I needed to track things as I went with the signalscope in Dark Bramble and filled out a lot of the rumor map from there. Main point of interest right now is repairing the warp core in the Vessel since it seems like you can enter the coordinates from the probe tracking module into it and have it warp to the eye of the universe. There are warp cores in the High Energy Tower on Ember Twin but I think those are only for the demonstration in that specific room and I couldn't just plug one of them into the Vessel. The only other place I can think to visit at this point is the Sun Station but the tower to teleport there is full of cacti. Been through about 10 loops trying to find another way in but I can't find one, do I really just have to make this extremely precise jetpack trip through the side passage making sure I don't crash into the cacti and die? Nothing else in the game has required this level of precision, I'm pretty sure I must be missing something.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's the easy way and the hard way to get to that place.

The easy way is what you were trying, it is possible with a slightly different technique (think about the entire local environment).

The hard* way is go full :jeb: and manually pilot your ship into a low solar orbit so you can rendezvous with the sun station, bail out inside the corona, and use your jetpack to fly into the airlock.

*sorry, that should be "cool", not "hard"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Figured out that I needed to track things as I went with the signalscope in Dark Bramble and filled out a lot of the rumor map from there. Main point of interest right now is repairing the warp core in the Vessel since it seems like you can enter the coordinates from the probe tracking module into it and have it warp to the eye of the universe. There are warp cores in the High Energy Tower on Ember Twin but I think those are only for the demonstration in that specific room and I couldn't just plug one of them into the Vessel. The only other place I can think to visit at this point is the Sun Station but the tower to teleport there is full of cacti. Been through about 10 loops trying to find another way in but I can't find one, do I really just have to make this extremely precise jetpack trip through the side passage making sure I don't crash into the cacti and die? Nothing else in the game has required this level of precision, I'm pretty sure I must be missing something.

I mean, you can also match orbit with the station instead of going through that tower but if you thought the latter required a lot of precision, well, you might not have a great time.

For an actual spoiler: what you want is to get inside the ash twin project, seek clues in the blackhole forge

e: beaten, but the person above me forgot to mention that your ship is subject to large stresses while you're trying to jetpack into the station even if you do manage to match the orbit in the first place, making it a no small feat, though I read somewhere that may not be the case on consoles/older versions

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 13, 2020

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

I mean, you can also match orbit with the station instead of going through that tower but if you thought the latter required a lot of precision, well, you might not have a great time.

For an actual spoiler: what you want is to get inside the ash twin project, seek clues in the blackhole forge

e: beaten, but the person above me forgot to mention that your ship is subject to large stresses while you're trying to jetpack into the station even if you do manage to match the orbit in the first place, making it a no small feat, though I read somewhere that may not be the case on consoles/older versions

Yeah doing the manual sun station landing is a one-way trip. There's nowhere you can safely land your ship and not have it just drift away.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

haveblue posted:

The hard* way is go full :jeb: and manually pilot your ship into a low solar orbit so you can rendezvous with the sun station, bail out inside the corona, and use your jetpack to fly into the airlock.

After trying this about 30 times over the course of the game I finally pulled it off. Took so long doing it that the station crashed into the sun and I'm not sure I managed to explore everything. Might have to track down the real way of getting there.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

If you still haven't got to the Giant's Deep core, there are two hints that go together, one on an island on Giant's Deep and another at Dark Bramble.

The intended way of getting to the place you just struggled with is to enter the tower right as the sand is exposing the cacti, there's a very easy path if you're at the correct time.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

K8.0 posted:

If you still haven't got to the Giant's Deep core, there are two hints that go together, one on an island on Giant's Deep and another at Dark Bramble.

The intended way of getting to the place you just struggled with is to enter the tower right as the sand is exposing the cacti, there's a very easy path if you're at the correct time.

Figured this out after staring at it for a few minutes and considering everything that happens with the planet, now I only have one entry left on the rumor map which is getting into the actual core of the Ash Twin project. Not sure how I'll do that since numerous entries have said that the shell is basically impenetrable. I've seen the inside through a view portal plenty of times and all the masks appear to be arranged in a circle with no clear entrance into the chamber. Supposedly there's some kind of advanced warp core there which I assume is how you get in but I don't know where you would warp from. The only other tower I know is on the White Hole Station and that's just for going back to Brittle Hollow if you mess up and fall into the black hole. Everything else on the rumor map is filled in and there are no more orange stars saying there's more to explore somewhere else. I guess everything else in the game is all supposed to add up and tell me what I need to do here but I'll have to step away and think about it for a while.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Figured this out after staring at it for a few minutes and considering everything that happens with the planet, now I only have one entry left on the rumor map which is getting into the actual core of the Ash Twin project. Not sure how I'll do that since numerous entries have said that the shell is basically impenetrable. I've seen the inside through a view portal plenty of times and all the masks appear to be arranged in a circle with no clear entrance into the chamber. Supposedly there's some kind of advanced warp core there which I assume is how you get in but I don't know where you would warp from. The only other tower I know is on the White Hole Station and that's just for going back to Brittle Hollow if you mess up and fall into the black hole. Everything else on the rumor map is filled in and there are no more orange stars saying there's more to explore somewhere else. I guess everything else in the game is all supposed to add up and tell me what I need to do here but I'll have to step away and think about it for a while.

None of your thoughts on how to get in are anywhere close to correct. Full spoiler on how you get in: You want to use one of the warp towers on Ash Twin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
What about Another World? Now that was a video game. First video game that really felt like a movie to me. A silent movie, which makes it all the better.