Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
TBS livestream of episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1CxGcCimrM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I haven't watched since it jumped to TBS, but I loved it at that point.

Is it worth coming back to?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

unlimited shrimp posted:

I haven't watched since it jumped to TBS, but I loved it at that point.

Is it worth coming back to?

Absolutely yes, some of the most recent episodes have been fantastic.

Be warned, a few of the first TBS episodes are a little shaky.

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Absolutely yes, some of the most recent episodes have been fantastic.

Be warned, a few of the first TBS episodes are a little shaky.

The first TBS episodes were still fox produced; it took them like two seasons to get past all the ones they had in the can already.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Either her mom or dad has a sister?

Karen is white, is she also adopted or are Mr or Mrs Wong adopted

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

Tyler Whitney posted:

The first TBS episodes were still fox produced;

That may be, but the few first ones felt as something made from leftower scraps. (At least that's how i remember them)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MikusR posted:

That may be, but the few first ones felt as something made from leftower scraps. (At least that's how i remember them)

That happens a lot with this show, definitely seems like at least once a season in order to fill up the order they dig out an unfinished script or two(at minimum) do the bare minimum needed to turn it into a full script and then send it off(heck I'm like 99% certain that the whole reason they sent Jeff off to space for a while was to make it easier to use these without having to take into account Hayley now being married)

The two most blatant examples of this in my opinion are American Fung and that episode where Stan gets turned into an old man and then he and the kids go on a trip to Africa for some reason

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

That happens a lot with this show, definitely seems like at least once a season in order to fill up the order they dig out an unfinished script or two(at minimum) do the bare minimum needed to turn it into a full script and then send it off(heck I'm like 99% certain that the whole reason they sent Jeff off to space for a while was to make it easier to use these without having to take into account Hayley now being married)

The two most blatant examples of this in my opinion are American Fung and that episode where Stan gets turned into an old man and then he and the kids go on a trip to Africa for some reason

They go on a trip to Africa because at the end Stan turns into a black dude because he was rude to a black guy and the hex the old man put on him is still in effect.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The first batch of episodes mostly felt off because TBS wanted a cold open and the Fox produced episodes weren't made that way. So, they would like end in the middle of the opening scene.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

bull3964 posted:

The first batch of episodes mostly felt off because TBS wanted a cold open and the Fox produced episodes weren't made that way. So, they would like end in the middle of the opening scene.

Yeah, now that the writers have gotten used to the style the cold opens are some of the best parts of the episode, but it was real rough at the start there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Has AD done any anthology episodes?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

yeah and they did this wthing with paper mario and the paperm ario and the paeper mario

paper mario paper mario and they did this with the paper mario
but in
the place
paper mario

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Milo and POTUS posted:

Weirdly no, they've done a lot of theme episodes and alternate reality episodes, but no anthologies.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

yeah and they did this wthing with paper mario and the paperm ario and the paeper mario

paper mario paper mario and they did this with the paper mario
but in
the place
paper mario

Did I or you have a stroke

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Por que no amibos

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
S17, Ep 21
American Dad becomes the 25th scripted prime-time show in the History of Television to reach 300 episodes and Roger’s past comes back to haunt him.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://twitter.com/AmericanDadTBS/status/1304857311324835845?s=20

Whoever does these random art pieces for the American dad Twitter account is a wonderful human being.

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

S17, Ep 21
American Dad becomes the 25th scripted prime-time show in the History of Television to reach 300 episodes and Roger’s past comes back to haunt him.

That is such a wonderful episode description.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

S17, Ep 21

Honestly I'm kinda surprised we've only had 25 of those

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The_Doctor posted:

S17, Ep 21
American Dad becomes the 25th scripted prime-time show in the History of Television to reach 300 episodes paper mario and Roger’s past comes back to haunt him.paper mario

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

drrockso20 posted:

Wonder how many of those were animated.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Brawnfire posted:

Wonder how many of those were animated.

Three.

The Simpsons
Family Guy
American Dad!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mister Kingdom posted:

Three.

The Simpsons
Family Guy
American Dad!

Wow... Good and bad portent to be grouped with those two

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I thought for sure South Park would be on there too but they only have 287.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

I thought for sure South Park would be on there too but they only have 287.

It's because they've only been doing like 10 episodes a season or so for most of the last decade

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

drrockso20 posted:

scripted prime-time is the lion's den of television, real darwin poo poo

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mister Kingdom posted:

Three.

The Simpsons
Family Guy
American Dad!
Who would have thought that American Dad would be the only one of those three to remain consistently good?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's really weird. Ususually they start to drop off around the 7-9 point. For some it's a hill, for others a cliff. But AD is still pretty good (even if I do prefer earlier seasons)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I think it helps that unlike a lot of the other long running animated sitcoms the American Dad crew don't appear to have developed an overblown ego about it

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

drrockso20 posted:

I think it helps that unlike a lot of the other long running animated sitcoms the American Dad crew don't appear to have developed an overblown ego about it

This might be the tipping point.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

drrockso20 posted:

I'd say the lack of hardcore fandom [and conversely it's flown under the chud radar too] full of toxic weirdos helps. It was never really popular enough to inspire that level of insanity pro or con plus their firm commitment to keep actual continuity/canon as an afterthought helps. Nobody's cyberbullying Wendy Schaal to try to commit suicide or making 2 hour youtubes about how the production team are beta cuck sjws. Once the really crazy fans/haters get at something it inevitably changes. Hell, I've seen more online vitriol over 2 seasons of the Orville than all 300 episodes of American Dad.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

AVCLUB article https://tv.avclub.com/over-300-episodes-roger-evolved-from-american-dad-s-w-1844976145 I wouldnt say its a super insightful for anyone whose already a fan but I still enjoyed it

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Francine, let's go baby :smith:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Stupid crickets, making me lie about eating them :argh:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

An excellent 300th episode, here's hoping for 300 more.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Very good and brutal episode. Really enjoyed it!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Paper Hater

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
That episode was loving amazing. Tbh, when I saw the family murdering each other, I was like 99.99% sure this was going to be the series finale.

I'm so glad the golden turd saga will continue :D

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I'm always incredibly uncomfortable during "final destination-esque" moments, even animated ones apparently lol because that scene with Stan and Francine was :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked the little callback in the bottom of the ocean scene with Francine piloting the sub and the colossal squid being down there.