Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

univbee posted:

they loving better. it’ll probably cost as much as the PS5 will, though.

It’s probably the only of finding out the price tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm going to wait until Wednesday's conference at least for a new The Drip, but in the meantime here's a compiled list of every game (I almost certainly missed some) confirmed to be getting some form of free, discounted or otherwise conditional upgrade from the PS4-native version to the PS5-native version.

Note that, judging by box art I've seen, it appears there will be PS5-exclusive discs of some of these games, where those discs will not work at all in a PS4, but the PS4 version disc will give you access to the PS5 version (likely as a full redownload that requires the PS4 disc in the drive). This also only applies to getting the game itself. While in most cases they offer features such as cross-save or cross-play between the PS4 and PS5 versions there are exceptions, particularly with the sports games. The actual PS5-native version might not be available at PS5 launch or on the same release date as the PS4 version.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla: Unconditional
Borderlands 3: Unconditional
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War: Next gen version is $70US. PS4 version owners can upgrade to PS5 version for $10. Both PS4 and PS5 versions are included in more expensive bundles of the game. PS5 retail version is not compatible with PS4.
Control: Free upgrade for "Ultimate Edition" only. Deluxe edition or vanilla+season pass purchases do not get an upgrade avenue and must repurchase the Ultimate Edition at full price
Cyberpunk 2077: Unconditional, but will not be available until 2021
Dead by Daylight: Unconditional
Destiny 2: Unconditional (F2P title but expansion packs are cross-buy)
DiRT 5: Unconditional
DOOM Eternal: Unconditional
Far Cry 6: Unconditional
FIFA 21: Time limited, must redeem before FIFA 22 is released
Fortnite: Unconditional (F2P title)
Hitman 3: Unconditional
Immortals: Fenyx Rising: Unconditional
Just Dance 2021: Unconditional
Madden 21: Time limited, must redeem before Madden 22 is released
Marvel's Avengers: Unconditional
NBA 2K21: Both gens are only included in the "Black Mamba Forever" edition
Ride 4: Unconditional
Riders Republic: Unconditional
The Elder Scrolls Online: Unconditional
The Witcher 3: Unconditional
Warframe: Unconditional (F2P title)
Watch Dogs Legion: Unconditional
Yakuza: Like A Dragon: Unconditional

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Thanks, it's great having all that in one place.

I think with Black Ops there could be a rule from Microsoft saying "You can't charge for a series S/X upgrade", so Activision said "Fine, no upgrade path on Xbox then." We didn't see any pro or X patches locked to DLC or ultimate editions as far as I know, but I guess they consider games on different generations to be different products.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The unconditional upgrades apply to digital versions too, right? I mostly do digital unless there's a sale on the disk, especially now that you need to install games, which ends up taking about the same amount of time as downloading them.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Skwirl posted:

The unconditional upgrades apply to digital versions too, right? I mostly do digital unless there's a sale on the disk, especially now that you need to install games, which ends up taking about the same amount of time as downloading them.

We don't even know the price how could anyone actually know this

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wolfsheim posted:

We don't even know the price how could anyone actually know this

If they're talking about how the upgrades are gonna work I was hoping they'd also talk about if there's a difference between the dirk version and the digital. It's gonna definitely affect some of my buying decisions.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Skwirl posted:

If they're talking about how the upgrades are gonna work I was hoping they'd also talk about if there's a difference between the dirk version and the digital. It's gonna definitely affect some of my buying decisions.

I buy my games exclusively on swords so I can protect my home

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Skwirl posted:

For the games I posted it applies the same with disc and digital.

Call of Duty is a slightly weird case where the $70 digital (gives you both versions) and the $70 disc PS5 version (gives you PS5 version only) are different, and I think any “white stripe” game that says PS5 won’t run on PS4. My guess is that it’ll work like this:

- PS4 disc version can free upgrade to PS5 version but it requires a full redownload and the disc in the drive.
- PS5 disc version actually has the PS5 version’s code on the disc but the discs are the “UHD” density ones that a PS4 can’t read.

There’s a bit of a split here in that on the Xbox side, there don’t appear to be any discs that are just for the Series X yet; all discs work in both consoles. Given this means the discs can only be 50 gigs max we don’t know how this will play out yet; I could see these games being effectively full-download-only on a Series X, but Microsoft may well have figured out a way to use some of the current gen data (also not impossible with PS4-PS5).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is COD 70 dollars just to see if they can get away with the software price bump for the new gen? That's 70 for a basic retail version (i.e. no season pass or extended bonuses beyond the usual PreOrder stuff)?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Is COD 70 dollars just to see if they can get away with the software price bump for the new gen? That's 70 for a basic retail version (i.e. no season pass or extended bonuses beyond the usual PreOrder stuff)?

It seems like 2k/activision are putting yearly games at 70 under the pretense that they had to do extra work but really just because they smell a thin justification to gouge their customers.
Idk why its only happening to yearly release games tho im not a marketing ghoul

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

It seems like 2k/activision are putting yearly games at 70 under the pretense that they had to do extra work but really just because they smell a thin justification to gouge their customers.

Because the hogs who buy those games yearly will gobble up the slop regardless of price.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Nice they already stuffed them to the gills with microtransactions and gambling on the pretense that "well we can't sell em for 70!" so after a few years of normalizing the back end nickel and diming they raise the price anyway...makes sense and not really surprising but it's loving stupid.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cod should be banned

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

That's The Rock's main food source. Banning it would screw up the entire food chain.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In Training posted:

Essentially, yes.

Retail copy is legit just base-game-on-disc, PS5-only version is $70.
Digital $70 copy is also basic but includes both the PS4 and PS5 versions (you can buy the PS4 version digitally by itself but not the PS5 version).

They seem to once again have done away with the map pack-style DLC, likely in an effort to keep all their population together (also what's happening with Warzone apparently migrating over). The more expensive bundle appears to just be skins and a "battle pass" level skip.

NBA 2K21 was also going to be $70 for the PS5 version but they apparently blinked and are making it $60 after all (although it still won't be cross-buy with the PS4 Standard Edition). I don't think anyone else has made a move on moving from the $60 price point.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How long have games been $60

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

PS3? I feel like PS2 games were still $50

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Yeah 360/ps3 was when games jumped to $60, but I think nintendo stayed at $50 until wiiu

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

univbee posted:

Control: Free upgrade for "Ultimate Edition" only. Deluxe edition or vanilla+season pass purchases do not get an upgrade avenue and must repurchase the Ultimate Edition at full price

How does this even happen?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Greed

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

It’s okay, the last DLC was pretty meh and I feel like I’m over Control’s jack anyways

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Steve Yun posted:

this isnt really that relevant. idk if you're implying the argument of "with inflation games are now technically only X dollars" but that isn't a great argument. purchasing power hasn't gone up remotely close to inflation, so games now are not relatively cheaper comparatively.

its why the games should be $70 now to recoup costs thing just doesn't reflect reality. there will still be lovely monetization and there will be DLCs, you won't actually get anything more for your $10 extra dollars other than giving them more money, and people won't just be able to afford it trivially. the big publishers aren't hurting for money anyway, a video games ceo is one of the richest people on the planet lmao

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

rabidsquid posted:

this isnt really that relevant. idk if you're implying the argument of "with inflation games are now technically only X dollars" but that isn't a great argument. purchasing power hasn't gone up remotely close to inflation, so games now are not relatively cheaper comparatively.

its why the games should be $70 now to recoup costs thing just doesn't reflect reality. there will still be lovely monetization and there will be DLCs, you won't actually get anything more for your $10 extra dollars other than giving them more money, and people won't just be able to afford it trivially. the big publishers aren't hurting for money anyway, a video games ceo is one of the richest people on the planet lmao

Do you have sources on the purchasing power from 15 years ago to now or just talking out of your rear end?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

jabro posted:

Do you have sources on the purchasing power from 15 years ago to now or just talking out of your rear end?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

jabro posted:

there's a lot of information if you would like to look at wages versus inflation.

https://www.factcheck.org/2019/06/are-wages-rising-or-flat/

unfortunately this article seems to focus on the ~general economy~ and not necessarily on where the wage increases have most sharply focused. i mean we haven't had a federal minimum wage increase in 13 years.

yeah this tells the story in a much more concise and simpler fashion.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

"Current dollars" is a terrible label for that because it makes it sound like it's based on the current worth, even after you see "2018 dollars". I know "Dollars at the time" doesn't sound as good, but there's gotta be a better way to put that.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The talking out of your rear end statement was snarky and I apologize for that.

This might be my ignorance on the subject (it's definitely my ignorance) but purchasing power as I understand it is basically what I could buy for a dollar in 1964 (since that is in the chart) I should be able to buy the same thing for whatever a dollar is with inflation included in 2018 dollars. Like in 1964 if I bought a candy bar for $1 then I should expect to buy the same candy bar for the inflation adjusted dollar in 2018. I shouldn't expect to be able to buy the candy store for the inflated adjusted dollar. So if the chart is correct the purchasing power went up roughly 10% since 1964 even with how high inflation has been since then. Purchasing power has kept up with inflation and is even ahead of 1964 and looking to creep up to the early 70s where I was crazy high. Isn't that a good thing? If it stays the same same or a little ahead?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

jabro posted:

The talking out of your rear end statement was snarky and I apologize for that.

This might be my ignorance on the subject (it's definitely my ignorance) but purchasing power as I understand it is basically what I could buy for a dollar in 1964 (since that is in the chart) I should be able to buy the same thing for whatever a dollar is with inflation included in 2018 dollars. Like in 1964 if I bought a candy bar for $1 then I should expect to buy the same candy bar for the inflation adjusted dollar in 2018. I shouldn't expect to be able to buy the candy store for the inflated adjusted dollar. So if the chart is correct the purchasing power went up roughly 10% since 1964 even with how high inflation has been since then. Purchasing power has kept up with inflation and is even ahead of 1964 and looking to creep up to the early 70s where I was crazy high. Isn't that a good thing? If it stays the same same or a little ahead?

you're looking at the percentage change over the whole time. on average inflation is, I think, roughly a bit north of 1% per year (it was 1.31% back in 1964 and it was 1.31% last year). If you calculate how much, on average, people's purchasing power increased over that time, it would be about 0.3% per year, which is well below inflation.

this also does not factor in things like cost of living, cost of education, etc. that have all skyrocketed dramatically.

e: put another way, in raw dollars, people's wages increased roughly 5.1% per year, but the measurement of what they could actually buy with that money increased by a mere 0.3% per year.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 15, 2020

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so if I signed up to get notified about preorders, I just wait and hopefully get an email allowing me to preorder one right?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I couldn't even tell if they wanted me to put my email or my PSN name into the form, and it had no validation so I submitted once with each.

What I'm saying is, nobody knows and it's gonna be ridiculous no matter what because Sony is terrible at the internet

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, so there are a bunch of older games I'd like to play. I'd like help with two things

1. Is there a place I can find good deals for PS4 games? I was thinking of Facebook Marketplace.
2. Do you all have any recommendations for games I should play?

My list:
Kingdom Hearts 3 + Story So Far
God of War
Shadow of the Colossus
Spiderman
Last of us 1 + 2

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

eonwe posted:

Oh, so there are a bunch of older games I'd like to play. I'd like help with two things

1. Is there a place I can find good deals for PS4 games? I was thinking of Facebook Marketplace.
2. Do you all have any recommendations for games I should play?

My list:
Kingdom Hearts 3 + Story So Far
God of War
Shadow of the Colossus
Spiderman
Last of us 1 + 2

If you do digital I've seen most of that list at least half off before during a Sony sale.

For recommendations I'd add Horizon Zero Dawn which I've also seen half off including DLC (which you want) in a sale I'm pretty sure.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah I prefer digital, I assumed they never discounted anything

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

eonwe posted:

Nah there’s sales all the time. Like every week pretty much.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Most of those games have reached Greatest Hits status so you should be able to get for $20 each. Less if on sale.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's an essential picks sale right now, God of War is 15 dollars (marked down from 20)
Assassin's Creed Oddesey is also 15, marked from 60

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
remember when people said PSN was never going to have any good sales and everything was just going to be full price forever? lol

I guess to be fair that was back in the PS3 days I think, back when Steam sales used to be filled with not hot garbage.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

eonwe posted:

I'm all digital and use psprices.com to email me when stuff I want goes on sale.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

eonwe posted:

PSN has been having sales akin to the best days of Steam for like 9 years at least. With that much of a backlog you're in for a real treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The version of Persona 5 that's in the new sale today is the old version with all the DLC package, not Royal, thought I'd mention just in case.