Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Lord Sexatron posted:

'THAT WAS A WEIRD ONE!'

I find myself trying to use this quote in the right context, it's hard but pays off.

Also it is annoying as you are just shouting with normal people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lord Sexatron posted:

I loved how The Grand Galactic Inquisitor was watching Rusty's dream.

'THAT WAS A WEIRD ONE!'

Great, you can read my mind.

'IGNORE ME! .......YES, I CAN.'

That whole episode was great because the Grand Galactic Inquisitor was comedy gold. I love how everyone is visibly wincing whenever he talks because it’s so loud.

SOMEONE LEFT A BABY

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's just great how he just sort of hangs out with them instead of well, doing his job. Poor guy didn't even get a chance to say object to his demise by that dimension hopping alien beast.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Just lemme be clear here, what makes this funny is mostly the situation, right? The delivery, the tension, the chaos of the fight scene, Cap shrieking in pain and terror as he comes running from the helicopter, and then ... that line just sort of hits sideways and wrong. Right?

Because I'm not sure I get what's so incredibly funny about recognizing him primarily as Scarsdale and wanting to avoid him. I mean it's funny, it's not, like ... best joke in the series funny. To me anyway??

All of that and also it's the culmination of a runner in the episode that the Venture Bros' version of the Justice League is barely disguised as the news team, just paper thin alter egos, but they're still managing to pull it over on the public. And then Chuck Scarsdale, who looks and sounds exactly like Captain Sunshine, shows up at Captain Sunshine's place screaming about Wonderboy, and Rusty, Billy and White are still fooled by his disguise. They also need to hide for plot reasons, and not wanting to be on the news is one of those great flimsy excuses, as if this dude, without cameras or equipment or anything is just gonna will them onto the news.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Oh! Man, I'm glad it's you. I thought that those guys were magically shooting bullets from their body!

Right? I didn't even know you were behind them! I thought they were just throwing knives out of their backs!

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

PostNouveau posted:

All of that and also it's the culmination of a runner in the episode that the Venture Bros' version of the Justice League is barely disguised as the news team, just paper thin alter egos, but they're still managing to pull it over on the public. And then Chuck Scarsdale, who looks and sounds exactly like Captain Sunshine, shows up at Captain Sunshine's place screaming about Wonderboy, and Rusty, Billy and White are still fooled by his disguise. They also need to hide for plot reasons, and not wanting to be on the news is one of those great flimsy excuses, as if this dude, without cameras or equipment or anything is just gonna will them onto the news.

All of this, also Urbaniak's line delivery is really extra great there.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's just great how he just sort of hangs out with them instead of well, doing his job. Poor guy didn't even get a chance to say object to his demise by that dimension hopping alien beast.

"You practically crapped your pants. Except for him! He did crap his pants."

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Do you have any pants? like extra... pants?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TerminalRaptor posted:

"You practically crapped your pants. Except for him! He did crap his pants."

boom boom

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PostNouveau posted:

Reminds me of Monarch freaking out over Mall Cops back in season 2

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I figure it's like when Hank explains how easy it is to fool Rusty and why- super-scientists, supervillains and superheroes have lived immersed in weirdness for so long they genuinely don't have a standard for what's normal anymore.

Also possibly a reference to a brief period in the comics when Clark Kent was a news anchor before the writers realised that made every problem a million times worse.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
My favorite Red Mantle/Dragoon exchange:

RM: I told you, this is a magical gathering!
D: I find those trading card games very confusing!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"Are we even in the same building?"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Should we carpool? Nah we're all spread out just meet at the club.

*all exit into the same hallway*

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

My favorite Red Mantle/Dragoon exchange:

RM: I told you, this is a magical gathering!
D: I find those trading card games very confusing!

The M:TG fan in me smiled when I heard that, even though I thought it was telegraphed. I mean, as soon as I heard "magic gathering," I knew what was coming. Still funny.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Didn't Magic send them a bunch of poo poo for that too after they heard?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Magic, the card game; or magic, the supernatural force that surrounds us all, filling our hats with bunnies and our ears with coins?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They just sent 132 copies of this card:

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 13, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pixaal posted:

Didn't Magic send them a bunch of poo poo for that too after they heard?

The MTG people love to send boxes out to artists. John Darnielle of the mountain goats has at least one video of him unboxing a booster box they sent because they know he’s a fan.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You know what would be a great youtube spin off? Cooking with Phantom Limb. He really knows his way around a kitchen.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

pixaal posted:

You know what would be a great youtube spin off? Cooking with Phantom Limb. He really knows his way around a kitchen.

he'd have a youtube channel for posting video reviews of cutlery and cookware for sure.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

uber_stoat posted:

he'd have a youtube channel for posting video reviews of cutlery and cookware for sure.

I would watch Phantom Limb's unboxing videos for hours, especially if he was wearing short sleeves. With or without gloves.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

tarlibone posted:

I would watch Phantom Limb's unboxing videos for hours, especially if he was wearing short sleeves. With or without gloves.

No gloves, no love

but seriously him off camera and the joke is it's just the voice over of a box being opened magically, it could even be done live action with some green gloves.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
My parents bought a set of Wusthof knives. I came over took cook for them and discovered this. They were greatly confused and startled when I opened the knife drawer and screeched "PHANTOM LIMB! He was HERE! INSIDE MY HOUSE!"

Great knives though.

...if only the inside of their fridge looked like someone went dumpster diving at Dean & Deluca

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The MTG people love to send boxes out to artists. John Darnielle of the mountain goats has at least one video of him unboxing a booster box they sent because they know he’s a fan.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you told me that guy posts in this thread. He rules and the mountain goats rule and I feel like they’re exactly the kind of band you like if you watch Venture Bros.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Rusty Venture!

Brought to you by... SMOKING!!!!!

My wife and I are just barely able to remember cigarette commercials. We do remember "smokeless tobacco" commercials. Just a pinch between your cheek and gum. They could have said the Venture-branded cigarettes, and people would have gotten the joke, because most folks are at least aware that shows used to be sponsored by cigarettes. But by saying the show was sponsored by smoking, as in the concept and ritual of? That's just over-the-top and ridiculous, and I love it. And I don't care who wrote the episode, that sound like a Doc Hammer joke.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When was the last cigarette commercial? The earliest I remember was when there were billboards and magazine ads but they had to be in black and white. Plus that anti smoking ad with the lady smoking through a hole in her throat.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

When was the last cigarette commercial?

Mad Men?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Into the 1970s. But, talk of it, and references to those commercials, existed well into the 1980s, especially in educational films meant for classrooms. Even though those commercials had been off the air for over a decade, we saw them well into Junior High, as examples of what wasn't allowed on TV anymore. Sound dumb? It should.

Anyway...

... if this didn't choke you up a little, then maybe you should just go away, you horrible person, and like Rick & Morty for the wrong reasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU__7KM08EY

By the time that scene plays out, most of us have figured out the truth. But this approaches Futurama-levels of surprise sadness in a comedy cartoon. I knew Twenty-Four was dead for real by this point. There was no questioning it. Hell, all those Monstroso henchmen who'd just been killed, some of whom used to be Monarch henchmen, even talked to Twenty-Four, which was our clue that they, and he, had died. So, Twenty-Four was definitely dead.

But that scene really drove it home. He's dead. And while I'd been hoping for some kind of resurrection, in one form or another, all season long? And while Gary had gone toe-to-toe with Brock loving Sampson and survived with the man's respect? Didn't matter. That bit where Twenty-Four was gone really got to me. I almost cried, right along with Gary.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Baba Oje died in 2018, so he could be a ghost now.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

When was the last cigarette commercial? The earliest I remember was when there were billboards and magazine ads but they had to be in black and white. Plus that anti smoking ad with the lady smoking through a hole in her throat.

These are from the 60s but they always seem skeevy to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEx44ETP8Ac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAExoSozc2c

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think the deal is meant to be that Dragoon's thing has always been as a very physically active villain, but clearly well past his prime, what with managing to terminally injure himself fighting off Phantom Limb and needing to get sewn onto Red Mantle. Basically like Brock or Hatred given an extra half century. Mantle doesn't have as much of an issue as a wizard, since as we all know wizards live longer and can get by being physically frail when they have incredible magical power.

I never thought of it as him terminally injuring himself so much as Phantom Limb shocked him into cardiac arrest. Phantom Limb basically killed him but still needed him, so got Billy to sew him onto Red Mantle.

If Phantom Limb didn't have shocker arms, Dragoon would have kicked his rear end and still had his body.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Servaetes posted:

Oh! Man, I'm glad it's you. I thought that those guys were magically shooting bullets from their body!

Right? I didn't even know you were behind them! I thought they were just throwing knives out of their backs!

In other words, literal back stabbers.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mraagvpeine posted:

In other words, literal back stabbers.

You know that if the GCI had a dude that shot knives out his back he totally would have been called Backstabber.

I love the GI Joe-rear end codenames everyone has. If VB doesn’t come back, Hammer and Publick need to do a GI Joe revival cartoon.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If VB doesn’t come back, Hammer and Publick need to do a GI Joe revival cartoon.

Would this be targeted at actual kids, or an adult humor using GI Joe to mock military propaganda? I'd probably still watch it either way they'd still put some good jokes in a kid's show.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

pixaal posted:

Would this be targeted at actual kids, or an adult humor using GI Joe to mock military propaganda? I'd probably still watch it either way they'd still put some good jokes in a kid's show.

We got that Adult Swim GI Joe mini-series by Warren Ellis of all people, so anything's possible, although I can tell you which of those Hasbro would most likely let them do.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
They don’t even really need the license, they have a knack for making characters that feel like they came from an 80’s cartoon but didn’t.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You know that if the GCI had a dude that shot knives out his back he totally would have been called Backstabber.

I love the GI Joe-rear end codenames everyone has. If VB doesn’t come back, Hammer and Publick need to do a GI Joe revival cartoon.

It wouldn't work without that busy-looking, grungy, jumpy 80s Japanese/Korean sweatshop animation. It seems really hard to fake, probably because cartoons aren't made that way any more.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

We got that Adult Swim GI Joe mini-series by Warren Ellis of all people, so anything's possible, although I can tell you which of those Hasbro would most likely let them do.

What’s this now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

What I don't get is how Desmond was able to train Chuck Scarsdale to have captain sunshine powers.

Is anyone else concerned for Desmond? Dragoon/Red Mantle said they used to arch him back in the day, but then when the Council is given the envelopes with their final arches, they're told that all their arches are dead. Has the former Captain Sunshine died off screen and no one cares?