Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Remy Marathe posted:

Between George being cartoonishly evil and Ross Poldark being a god damned idiot, I can only conclude that we're supposed to be rooting for Demelza.

George and his evil Uncle are the true heroes of that show. Everyone else is comically dumb. :colbert:

It was a good enough show to fall asleep to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

D-Pad posted:

If you enjoyed that you should really watch Occupied next. Also on Netflix. Also a norwegian political-military drama. Very good and I keep recommending it to this thread and haven't seen anybody else post about it yet.

I've been waiting for season 3 to show up for what feels like 5 years. Most of what happened has faded except Berg and Djupvik are idiots and Sidorova is the best character in the show. And that they had a DayZ level as a major location.

Also good from Norway is Beforeigners which confusingly has the actress who played a police officer named Wenche in Occupied play another police officer called Wenche.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Just finished Away on Netflix, apparently astronauts and their families cry. They cry alot. Like every episode.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

physeter posted:

Just finished Away on Netflix, apparently astronauts and their families cry. They cry alot. Like every episode.

This loving show is basically This is Sus in space and because I love all space poo poo I watched the whole thing.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
:same:

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Solice Kirsk posted:

Santa Clarita Diet was made by the Better Off Ted people and has a similar pacing and humor, but with zombies.

I still think Better Off Ted failed due to it's very stupid name. Everyone I told to watch loved it, but never gave it a chance because the promos and name sounded dumb. Is it streaming anywhere?
Hulu, and you can drat well bet I'm gonna watch it given the Santa Clarita Diet connection. I'll go to my grave wondering where they were going to take the SCD plot, and there hasn't been anything that made me laugh that hard and often in a while.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm sad SCD is over but I'm also relieved because I really didn't like the turn the plot had taken. So now like, I can just remember the good times.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I'm going through a Netflix Korean drama Stranger and it's been interesting how they try to highlight how those in authority and those who are affluent can corrupt justice so much that those who should be the stewards of such justice such as judges and police officers can be made to bend to the will of those in such positions. There's some measure of justice done in season 1 but it's a never ending, somewhat futile tide for those who are trying to bring about a bit of justice but at least they are trying.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 10, 2020

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
I have been watching the Korean Drama Pororo. I often watch the same episode again and again and again. It also has a spin-off on Amazon Prime. That's important because it deals with the best character: Loopy. When you first meet Loopy, she is just straight naked because she is a primitive who is unable to understand shame. Given the Christo-Korean nature of the show this helps position her as an edenic character. Later, she adopts traditional Korean clothing.

Her cooking show is weird. Like, nobody loves Pajaeon more than me but when she suggests it is a more exciting substitute for pizza to children?

Anyway, she's my waifu now.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Watched Hoops over the weekend. Wasn't really impressed; too much trying to be Family Guy in a grounded setting, and F is for Family did the persistent story line in a cartoon way better.

Maybe a two funny episodes, and overall about a dozen funny scenes. If it wasn't ending in a sort of cliffhanger wouldn't expect it to get renewed for season 2 (or S3 if they already have two-season deal with the cast).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Finished season 1 of iZombie in... two days... and this show is way, way better than it has any right to be. The pilot was pretty decent, but it wasn't until the dog/internet cafe called Mutt Bowl Surfers and the charcuterie being named Meat Cute where I knew it was gonna be great. That it took the bland generic ex-love interest character and made him into the best character in the show by giving him an actual personality and a proper character arc was a wonderfully unexpected surprise.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dragonatrix posted:

Finished season 1 of iZombie in... two days... and this show is way, way better than it has any right to be. The pilot was pretty decent, but it wasn't until the dog/internet cafe called Mutt Bowl Surfers and the charcuterie being named Meat Cute where I knew it was gonna be great. That it took the bland generic ex-love interest character and made him into the best character in the show by giving him an actual personality and a proper character arc was a wonderfully unexpected surprise.

I'm so excited for you. I loved iZombie with all my heart, and it only gets better. Everyone gets incredible character development and takes turns being the best character. The plot gets really complex along the way, so it will be better binged than watching it live over six years, as we did.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
AP Bio s3 dropped on Peacock. It's hilarious. They decided to take a dip into the surreal and drop the running plot for the season. Each episode is self contained insanity.

It was some of the funniest stuff I've seen. I'll put it up there with 30 Rock and Arrested Development (1st couple of seasons of course) in the ridiculous department. The only bad part is that I heard the pandemic cut 2 episodes off. Now I just want to see those 2 episodes. I at least want to read the scripts if the show gets cancelled.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dragonatrix posted:

... it took the bland generic ex-love interest character and made him into the best character in the show by giving him an actual personality and a proper character arc was a wonderfully unexpected surprise.

Major Lilywhite is a fantastic character, you are in for a ride. The show has ups and downs but it's entertaining all the way. Blaine, Ravi, Clyde, Liv (obviously), Don, all great characters. Blaine is one of my all time favorite villains.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

AP Bio s3 dropped on Peacock. It's hilarious.

I really liked s1. s2, not so much. How does it compare to those?

wormil fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 11, 2020

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Also does AP Bio ever change? I have watched the first 4 episodes and while I enjoyed it, I don’t think I would enjoy binging it. I feel like the main ‘joke’ of the show could get old or annoying over time. I might try to watch an episode or two a week instead of 4 in a row. After 4 I felt well I’ve seen enough of that show despite liking it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The first season is focused on Dennis (or whatever his character is named) trying to get revenge but season 2 drops that. The second is more about him growing to like his job and the people around him. Not sure where the 3rd season can go other than be more of a traditional sitcom but the cast is good so that's not necessarily a bad thing.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The first season is focused on Dennis (or whatever his character is named) trying to get revenge but season 2 drops that. The second is more about him growing to like his job and the people around him. Not sure where the 3rd season can go other than be more of a traditional sitcom but the cast is good so that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Ok that is good. My fear was the whole series would be focused on him using the students for revenge. While that is funny, I just don't think it would be 3 seasons funny

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Mrs. Bojangles and I both hated the 3rd season of AP Bio, it's either your jam or not at all. We enjoyed the first two seasons, though. They didn't have anywhere to go after the second season, so it felt like they just threw everything at the wall hoping something, anything, would stick.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Urgh, I'm struggling with the Rowenna storyline. She's taken over Elizabeth's "passive person that things just happen to as she whimpers" role and I'm rooting far more for her hilariously avaricious sister.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

nate fisher posted:

Also does AP Bio ever change?

S1 got a lot of hate for being mean so S2 is watered down considerably, loses the edge, and is generic sitcom humor.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Season 3 had, to me, a very Community vibe in terms of just accepting that it's a show and going nuts with it. There's more than one meta-show joke in each episode at this point, and it feels like it's really hitting its stride.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Been letting Z Nation play again and those first few seasons were just so wild and fun and way better then anything TWD put out.

If anyone asks, we were never near the Grand Canyon.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

TMMadman posted:

Been letting Z Nation play again and those first few seasons were just so wild and fun and way better then anything TWD put out.

If anyone asks, we were never near the Grand Canyon.

i was on the fence about giving this a try but just saw it stars D.J. Qualls, hell yeah I love that guy for reasons I can't explain

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAardvark posted:

i was on the fence about giving this a try but just saw it stars D.J. Qualls, hell yeah I love that guy for reasons I can't explain

If you've never seen it before make sure you give it at least a half a dozen episodes before judging.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Season 3 had, to me, a very Community vibe in terms of just accepting that it's a show and going nuts with it. There's more than one meta-show joke in each episode at this point, and it feels like it's really hitting its stride.

Wife and I binged this this week and they really leaned in on some premises that are, quite frankly, totally ridiculous on their face, but just worked. I had to pause several of them from laughing so hard.

Gary Meets Dave (3) and That That That (6) were especially delightful with how they played with the story structure, and Katie Holmes Day (8) was just insanely hilarious. I wish they would have gotten the full 10 done before the COVID shutdown from listening to the podcast and reading a couple interviews with Mike O'Brien, but I'm hopeful they get a Season 4.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

TMMadman posted:

Been letting Superstore play in the background as my half hour sitcom and while admittedly I haven't been giving it my full attention it seems pretty bland.

It's funnier if you've ever worked retail for any length of time.

Also, High Score on Netflix is a fun docuseries about the history of video gaming.

Orlando Furioso
Nov 7, 2012
With everything going on right now my recent binge has been focused on comedy - I have been rewatching old series of Taskmaster, one of my favourite UK shows in recent times.

It's a well known comedy gameshow here in the UK where comedians are set a series of surreal/absurd tasks and challenges, competing over the course of the series for joke prizes. With 9 series so far there are a couple of weaker series due to the comedian line-up but it has produced some of the funniest television I have ever seen. There was a short-lived American remake but don't be tricked into watching it...it pales in comparison to the UK show.

Good news is I think they have just made the British version available in America too - on CW I believe. There are also plenty of clips on Youtube if you want a short taste!

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Finished the four seasons of Poldark that were on Netflix, not really interested in seeking out season five. Sad ending.

Now have Call the Midwife on in the background. Twee to the excess with dark edges to it like workhouse incest. Alrighty then.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Started Hap and Leonard. Between Michael Kenneth Williams, James Purefoy and Christina Hendricks the cast has some great chemistry. And you've also got Jimmi Simpson chewing through scenery like mad. I would describe the vibe like if some background Justified characters got their own show about their dipshit adventures.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

TMMadman posted:

If you've never seen it before make sure you give it at least a half a dozen episodes before judging.

Half a dozen is unnecessary, I was in to it by episode 2. Highlights in the first 6 episodes:

the baby
the zombie in the wheel well
the liberty bell scene
doc hot boxing the air shaft with the zombie
dj qualls being a weird rear end stalker and talking to himself constantly
ZOMBNADO

This show is much better than I expected from SyFy. Every episode is a pretty contained zombie story - it's the same characters and their journey, but it's still episodic, and it works really well. It's not 100% serious but it manages to sell the scary bits pretty well.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

TheAardvark posted:

Half a dozen is unnecessary, I was in to it by episode 2. Highlights in the first 6 episodes:

Sorry to say this because I was a huge fan of the show, I even had a Z flag custom made and don't regret it, but feel free to quit after S2. You will be tempted to continue because of the cliffhanger but every season after 2 is worse than the previous. I'm sure you'll watch S3 anyway but I really suggest pretending it ends there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Orlando Furioso posted:

With everything going on right now my recent binge has been focused on comedy - I have been rewatching old series of Taskmaster, one of my favourite UK shows in recent times.

This reminds me to do my semi-annual binge of any and all episodes of “Would I Lie to You” I can find on YouTube. That’s my British TV guilty pleasure.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Martytoof posted:

This reminds me to do my semi-annual binge of any and all episodes of “Would I Lie to You” I can find on YouTube. That’s my British TV guilty pleasure.

Seconded. I LOVE Would I Lie To You. And it's fun to see British actors I'm vaguely familiar with crop up. (Did a chimpanzee once come to Charles Dance's house for tea? You'll have to watch and find out!)

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

While browsing through Prime I stumbled on Red Oaks . Pretty fun 80's coming of age show for at least the first couple of episodes!

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Re: cop shows in the current climate, you should watch The Shield if you haven't. It's basically a show all about police brutality and corruption. Well-done, fast-paced, has good "crime of the week" plots and a great overarching plot. It makes great use of LA as a setting, kinda like The Wire is all about Baltimore.

Just don't root for the cops. Vic Mackey is a great character but he is not a good guy. Arguably there are only two cops on the show who are "good" (Claudette and Danny) and they do some bad things too.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 13, 2020

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I sort of like the shield but gently caress that eh soundtrack at the start of each episode. I really hope they get rid of that after the first season

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Shirld struggles in that it’s got a good first and last episode, but the middle is just a police procedural

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No it's not dummy

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Everyone in The Shield is a piece of poo poo with the exception of Claudette, who is exactly the right amount of ‘incredibly jaded, but occasionally some terrible poo poo makes her really angry’. There are bits of procedural stuff and crime solving, but it’s usually in service of either covering up or abetting some crime by the main characters: that, or showing that although they’re utterly despicable human beings, there are a few criminals worse than they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah that is the main problem Vic is shown as effective and at times the only effective one.

So you get the first and last episode that does condemn Vic while the middle treats him as extremely effective if a bit dirty.

It’s a show that’s extremely confused on what exactly it wants to be. On one hand a drama about a dirty cop, on the other a police procedural where most episodes have at least one crime that must be solved.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 14, 2020