Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

It's not, as Binary Badger pointed out, but it's worth noting, if you live near an Apple Store, that maybe half the times you just stroll in on a lazy day, they pencil you in for a quick appointment and just fix it or find some way to make things better for you. A friend of mine had his phone replaced out of warranty just because, I'm guessing, he seemed like an innocent dumb guy.

My ex missus who has supernatural abilities at breaking electonics worked out that breaking into tears in the apple store got her poo poo fixed 100% of the time. Theres definately some discretion built into the system. (which means shes not regularly bugging me to do mecgyver repairs on her stuff anymore)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Not sure if this is one for this thread or the software one. Does anyone know if there has been issues with the osx betas and battery charging. It seems that since the last update Im regularly having problems with the battery just not charging unless i turn the machine off. But that *could* just be an artefact of an ageing machine. Still, kinda seems odd.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

duck monster posted:

Not sure if this is one for this thread or the software one. Does anyone know if there has been issues with the osx betas and battery charging. It seems that since the last update Im regularly having problems with the battery just not charging unless i turn the machine off.

Big Sur added a so-far-very-half-assed version of the "optimized charging" from iOS, and will not necessarily actually charge your MacBook when it's plugged in.

Beta, etc.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

japtor posted:

Surprisingly well for this guy, the newer Titan Ridge controller/card seems to be the key:
https://egpu.io/forums/builds/thunderbolt-3-on-amd-x399-threadripper-rtx-208032gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-win10-1803-itsage/
https://egpu.io/forums/builds/thunderbolt-3-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-gtx-108032gbps-tb3-aorus-gaming-box-win10-1803-itsage/

Here’s a blurb about the TB header:

And here’s a setup with the eGPU + TB card trick, although reading through the thread the separate powered riser method is super picky (vs just two TB connected PCIe slots):
https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-2018-mac-mini-wx-910032gbps-tb3-mantiz-venus-thunderbolt-3-monitor-output-macos-10-14-1-itsage/

Those are AMD cpus though which makes even less sense. I can tell you HaswellEP and Skylake SP are not platform-enabled or are platform-restricted from doing this with those cards. Consumer CPUs are apparently different.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

Those are AMD cpus though which makes even less sense. I can tell you HaswellEP and Skylake SP are not platform-enabled or are platform-restricted from doing this with those cards. Consumer CPUs are apparently different.
Well for the OP I doubt they'd be buying/building a Haswell/Skylake EP machine to begin with :shrug: (or even Intel in general these days), although now I'm curious if anyone has actually tried it out or just assumed that was the case cause the proprietary TB header.

Ultimately I guess cause TB is just taking existing protocols and muxing in the controller itself outside of the CPU there wasn't much stopping it from working anywhere.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Molten Llama posted:

Big Sur added a so-far-very-half-assed version of the "optimized charging" from iOS, and will not necessarily actually charge your MacBook when it's plugged in.

Beta, etc.

This can also be turned off

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
About 3 months ago I posted about the macbook pro that I was ripped off, returned, and taken for about $250 non refundable. I disputed and the cc company sided with the business, they concluded a few days ago. I guess you just live and learn.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Granite Octopus posted:

I got so sick of my usb3 hubs all flaking out in weird and wonderful ways that I finally bought a thunderbolt dock in the hopes that poo poo would just work reliably. I never move any of this stuff from my desk so I feel like it's reasonable to think it will work the same way every day when I sit down at my computer to work.
Things were great for the last 2 weeks but now I only get 30hz on my 4k display when the MacBook is in clamshell mode. This was previously fine for 7+ days of constant use but now its decided it won't do it any more for ¸,o¤°✰ ReaSonS ✰°¤o,¸ even though literally none of the hardware or software has changed.

MBP 16" 2019
CalDigit TS3+
Dell U2718Q (4k, connected via DP->DP cable)
Dell U2715H (1440p, connected via Usb-c->DP cable

Considering its unlikely I'll ever be working in an office again I should just buy myself a new Mac mini and put this loving laptop in a drawer. At least I'll get USB ports and screens that work, and I won't have to put up with it's noisy fan anymore.

I just bought a CalDigit TS3+ for my 2020 13" and half the time when I plug it in it kernel panics :cool:

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

I just bought a CalDigit TS3+ for my 2020 13" and half the time when I plug it in it kernel panics :cool:

Oh god really? Any idea what causes it?

Maybe I should return this while I still can. It's useless to me if it's not reliable.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

Yeah, Macs poo poo the bed a lot with Thunderbolt docks. Either it panics or some USB devices are simply not recognized. The implementation even on Linux is more reliable...

The way to reliably have them work when plugging/unplugging them is to always have the screen open. When plugging in, wait a minute or so for it to recognize all your poo poo before closing the screen. If it still doesn't, unplug and replug. If it still doesn't it's probably going to panic within the hour so save your poo poo.

When unplugging, open the screen, wait for it to light up and desktop to resize *then* unplug. That worked pretty well for me so far and reduced my panics by quite a bit.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Zero panics here with a TB3 dock on 2019 13”. Maybe try debugging first before assuming it is irreparably broken.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
The HP G2 thunderbolt dock has not given me any issues like I’ve heard with the caldigit. And it was $150 new on eBay. I know I sound like a broken record but I can’t understand how the caldigit became such a favorite for macs.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Pivo posted:

Zero panics here with a TB3 dock on 2019 13”. Maybe try debugging first before assuming it is irreparably broken.

Or maybe stop assuming your use case is the same as everyone?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

excellent bird guy posted:

About 3 months ago I posted about the macbook pro that I was ripped off, returned, and taken for about $250 non refundable. I disputed and the cc company sided with the business, they concluded a few days ago. I guess you just live and learn.

What company was it?

I bought a “2010” mbp on Reddit from some dipshit who sent me a 2009

“Close enough”

I didn’t bother to create a paypal dispute over it

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Gros Tarla posted:

Well, did you try updating the OS? 10.15.6 resolved the issue for many. I'm not saying it's not an issue, I'm saying you should try debugging. Assuming your $$$$ dock is a paperweight because of software is dumb.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Pivo posted:

Well, did you try updating the OS? 10.15.6 resolved the issue for many. I'm not saying it's not an issue, I'm saying you should try debugging. Assuming your $$$$ dock is a paperweight because of software is dumb.

Yes, latest OS and latest firmware on both docks I tried (Lenovo/Dell). I tried with a 2019 MBA and a 2020 MBP with the same results.

And I did try debugging - hence the tips I've given. The issue seems to be with plugging (switching) to an external display with the clamshell closed. So probably a driver or power management issue of some sort, which I can do very little about except pointing it out, waiting for the usual "you're holding it wrong" crowd to come out of the woodworks. At least I pointed out a workaround for it which has worked reliably for me, so calm down with the assumptions.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Gros Tarla posted:

calm down with the assumptions.

Hehe you're the one who assumed I was speaking directly to you, I was speaking in general to the bubbling sentiment in the thread directly above my post. Hotplugging low-level devices has always been finicky through the ages, USB's isolation is a big advantage in this regard. And yeah Linux is great for this because any nerd sufficiently upset about it can root-cause and patch it.

It's good you updated the dock firmware. If you have the kernel panic error log with the trace, you could shoot that off to Apple (unlikely to get a response) and the support department of the dock manufacturer along with your workaround. This will help them pinpoint the issue. Sorry if I hit a nerve!

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
FWIW I’ve a TS3+ that has been mostly reliable across a 2016 MBP and late 2018 MBA, and even worked for a spell with a Dell XPS 13 (Win) and Lenovo Carbon X1 (Ubuntu). Occasional quirky USB issues on the Macs that are equally likely to be the fault of my weird mouse/driver (Evoluent) or KVM switches, as they are the dock.

Speaking of that MBA, I severely regret it; life problems meant I had to replace a laptop right when the only MBA model had the single CPU option of dual core i5; even back on my old early/mid decade MBA 11”s I was using quad i7s, and this thing feels noticeably underpowered vs those and certainly my old work system (near bottom-tier 2016 MBP, no TB).

And now the ARM thing is throwing a wrench into my “put this laptop aside as an inevitable family handmedown and get something better” plans :v:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Gros Tarla posted:

or maybe you should stop defending apple for really really lovely support of a protocol and port they largely took upon themselves to hump into existence?

Its one thing if OP here is having issues with weird or rare peripherals...specialized audio /editing devices etc., spring to mind, here, and that is a pretty common Apple use case, but that doesn't seem like the issue.

Now, yes, I agree that, unfortunately, the best answer is to, usually, have the internal display active when docking, which tends to fix most issues. That doesn't excuse Apple's *undeniably buggier* implementation when compared to other OS', *especially* when they control the hardware and have far smaller configuration pools to test than virtually every other hardware company.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
So far what I've found to help is if both monitors are turned off before plugging in, then turning them on one at a time.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Crunchy Black posted:

or maybe you should stop defending apple for really really lovely support of a protocol and port they largely took upon themselves to hump into existence?

I have no idea why you're quoting me, because I agree Apple's Thunderbolt support is poo poo, which is what I was saying in the post just prior to that one. I am not defending them whatsoever.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
We're moving to Arm, we'll never use NVIDIA gpus again, gently caress you all.

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1305292398596161536

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Apple is moving to Apple Silicon, not ARM.

edit: Cheeky thing to say, I know, but Apple has a perpetual architecture license for the ISA. They don't license any ARM designs. The royalty payments for the ISA license are supposed to be the lowest possible.

Interesting to see what happens with regulatory approval.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 14, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Pivo posted:

edit: Cheeky thing to say, I know, but Apple has a perpetual architecture license for the ISA. They don't license any ARM designs. The royalty payments for the ISA license are supposed to be the lowest possible.

what regulatory approval does nvidia really have to follow to buy a japanese-owned british firm? like, i'm sure they have to dot their i's and cross their t's of course, but which government is going to stop it?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

mediaphage posted:

what regulatory approval does nvidia really have to follow to buy a japanese-owned british firm? like, i'm sure they have to dot their i's and cross their t's of course, but which government is going to stop it?

China previously blocked Qualcomm, an American company from buying NXP, a Dutch company on antitrust concerns (and/or political reasons ;-)

Arm China was an issue for this deal - Arm fired the head but he said "no" and retained control. Apparently 'the matter is now resolved' except "one person close to Mr Wu said he “remains the chairman of Arm China.”

The Brits might have something to say about it, and commenters speculate NVIDIA's promised investments in the Cambridge HQ are an attempt to appease them.

Other pundits are saying that NVIDIA and Arm aren't competitors in any segment where either is dominant so it should breeze through, but there's so much geopolitics at play. I don't really know enough to speculate. But it's a gigantic acquisition in high technology, it's going to get scrutinized, and US, UK, China and EU regulators are in play.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Pivo posted:

Same here with the 16".
Made sure the dock had the latest firmware around the same time with a fresh install of 10.15.6. So far zero problem and the extra thunderbolt3 port on the dock even works with an usbc to dual-link dvi adapter.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Gros Tarla posted:

I have no idea why you're quoting me, because I agree Apple's Thunderbolt support is poo poo, which is what I was saying in the post just prior to that one. I am not defending them whatsoever.

Quoted wrong poster, sorry. But to reiterate, yes Apple's tb implementation is absurdly lovely lol

Pivo posted:

US, UK, China and EU regulators are in play.

yeah, NVDA really hosed up by being incorporated in Delaware on this one. If they had pulled an Apple and moved everything to Dublin....

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Molten Llama posted:

Beta, etc.

Yeah I've got a couple of chargers. A higher wattage one with a dodgy cable (what the hell is up with the rubber they use on those things?!) and a lower wattage one. The lower wattage one never used to be problematic until the last Big sur, and now I have to use the dodgy cable one. I figure they'll have it sorted out soon enough, more inconvenience than show stopper for me.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Pivo posted:

I was kinda surprised apple didnt take a run at it, though the competition regulators might get huffy about Apple owning the key licenses Android needs.

Then again apple doesnt do much aquiring anyway (I always thought Apple ought buy nintendo. Both are oddball companies that have strong aaesthetic orientations and dont tend to sweat the benchmarks. Building a nintendo-apple framework similar to windows-xbox would suddenly make apple a real-deal in the game world something thats eluded them outside of mobile games. But writing nintendo games in swift? Yes please.....)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pivo posted:

China previously blocked Qualcomm, an American company from buying NXP, a Dutch company on antitrust concerns (and/or political reasons ;-)

Arm China was an issue for this deal - Arm fired the head but he said "no" and retained control. Apparently 'the matter is now resolved' except "one person close to Mr Wu said he “remains the chairman of Arm China.”

The Brits might have something to say about it, and commenters speculate NVIDIA's promised investments in the Cambridge HQ are an attempt to appease them.

Other pundits are saying that NVIDIA and Arm aren't competitors in any segment where either is dominant so it should breeze through, but there's so much geopolitics at play. I don't really know enough to speculate. But it's a gigantic acquisition in high technology, it's going to get scrutinized, and US, UK, China and EU regulators are in play.

i don’t expect the eu to have much to say, and the uk is pretty standard job protection stuff (which is what I meant about dotting i’s). the arm china bits are much more intriguing (cheers), but it’s worth pointing out that army actually asked the chinese government to step in because the story is wacko

ft posted:

Invest in my personal fund and get a discount on Arm’s cutting edge chip technology: that was the offer allegedly made by China boss Allen Wu to some of his customers.

That conflict of interest is one of several accusations that have been levelled at Mr Wu, the chief executive of Arm China, as he battles SoftBank and the powerful Chinese private equity firm Hopu for control of the valuable unit.

After several months of quiet negotiations, the tensions burst into public view earlier this month, after Arm, the UK chip designer that SoftBank bought for Ł24.3bn in 2016, announced it had ousted Mr Wu, alleging “serious irregularities” and “conflicts of interest”.

But Mr Wu has refused to budge. He remains the company’s legal representative and is in possession of the company seal, giving him control under a centuries-old Chinese system. SoftBank and Hopu face a long legal quagmire to prise him out, having failed to persuade him to leave peacefully.

china is unlikely to want to help a us company do much of anything right now, but i am mildly curious to see if they’ll do anything about the dude literally stealing money from arm to out into personal projects

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 14, 2020

coke
Jul 12, 2009

mediaphage posted:

china is unlikely to want to help a us company do much of anything right now, but i am mildly curious to see if they’ll do anything about the dude literally stealing money from arm to out into personal projects

they just dont like to get owned by a taiwanese ceo

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pivo posted:

ARM does licenses per architecture from what I've read, so they probably have a perpetual license on ARMv8, it'd just be a question for v9 or whatever down the line. Realistically if it's close enough they probably already have a license for that. Or yeah maybe perpetual licensing for everything in the future :iiam:

I figure it's all moot cause Nvidia (or anyone that would've bought them) is going to be limited from doing too much different, whether cause ARM has a monopoly on phones and will invite antitrust suits out the rear end, or cause the whole ARM business model depends on how they operate.

duck monster posted:

I was kinda surprised apple didnt take a run at it, though the competition regulators might get huffy about Apple owning the key licenses Android needs.

Then again apple doesnt do much aquiring anyway (I always thought Apple ought buy nintendo. Both are oddball companies that have strong aaesthetic orientations and dont tend to sweat the benchmarks. Building a nintendo-apple framework similar to windows-xbox would suddenly make apple a real-deal in the game world something thats eluded them outside of mobile games. But writing nintendo games in swift? Yes please.....)
It's been brought up before. I think on paper it makes sense, hell they even talked about the cultural similarities when working on Super Mario Run. But they're also companies that I don't think work out unless they have full independent control of what they do.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

japtor posted:

ARM does licenses per architecture from what I've read, so they probably have a perpetual license on ARMv8, it'd just be a question for v9 or whatever down the line. Realistically if it's close enough they probably already have a license for that. Or yeah maybe perpetual licensing for everything in the future :iiam:

I figure it's all moot cause Nvidia (or anyone that would've bought them) is going to be limited from doing too much different, whether cause ARM has a monopoly on phones and will invite antitrust suits out the rear end, or cause the whole ARM business model depends on how they operate.

It's been brought up before. I think on paper it makes sense, hell they even talked about the cultural similarities when working on Super Mario Run. But they're also companies that I don't think work out unless they have full independent control of what they do.

Yeah , its more a galaxy brainfart idea than anything that would work. Nintendo is *very* japanese, and Apple is *very* silicon valley, so internally the cultures are probably a lot more different than the similarities that appear on the surface. But christ it'd be fun to write switch apps with a platform I actually know. (Though for all the senses that count the game dev choices arent really "write in OpenGL for macs vs write in DirectX for windows", its "Unity" vs "Unreal" , and maybe Godot if your really have a hard on for open source. Nobody plays javascript games except javascript programmers.)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i wonder if apple ever got special licensing terms for being involved with arm so early.

regardless tbh i couldn’t care less that nvidia is buying them. it would be interesting to see what they do but really i’m not sure what they can produce now that they couldn’t have earlier, under licensing. well, i guess they’ll get all of the brainpower and ip that may have more restrictive licensing.

i have no doubt that they’ll be putting out nvidia laptops at some point. it’s not like they haven’t messed with arm chips before, and now apple and potentially others will be largely removing the mental block that one might have about buying an arm-powered computer.

obviously there’s more to do with arm chips than that but this is a computer thread

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 14, 2020

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Crunchy Black posted:

Quoted wrong poster, sorry. But to reiterate, yes Apple's tb implementation is absurdly lovely lol

If you meant to quote me, then you should know I wasn't defending Apple and I'm not sure how it remotely could be read as such. If anything I was defending the dock manufacturers, because hotplugging PCIe is tough, especially with power management in play. As a software guy I know software in general is pretty crappy, which is why you find the best system stability when drivers are open source (allowing fixes to get identified quickly) or when most things are pulled out into userspace (see: Windows graphics drivers and how the move to WDDM greatly improved Windows stability). The fact Thunderbolt can bring down the kernel is something people might not be used to after decades of USB & usermode drivers, so it's good to have some patience specifically in this regard. SATA/eSATA hotplug caused a lot of headaches back in the day in PC-land too. FireWire could bring down the OS (and sometimes did) as well. Thunderbolt is more of the same in that regard.

I don't personally know where the bugs causing system instability are for the posters above - it could be in macOS, it could be in dock firmware or ROM, I don't know (nor did I claim to know).

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

duck monster posted:

Yeah, every cell phone maker Apple is competing with would have hired every lawyer on Earth to sue them.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Anybody who wants to make an Apple Event thread, please do so in IYG because there is a low likelihood of anything being announced that fits in this thread.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Anybody who wants to make an Apple Event thread, please do so in IYG because there is a low likelihood of anything being announced that fits in this thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940524

Someone made one.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Bob Morales posted:

What company was it?

I bought a “2010” mbp on Reddit from some dipshit who sent me a 2009

“Close enough”

I didn’t bother to create a paypal dispute over it

I had been up driving all night, maybe 15 hours into 2,000 mile road trip. 1000 miles into it I stopped in Colorado Springs at 'The Mac Corner' and the salesperson hustled me. I bought the 2020 at the apple store in Denver then drove back to the springs to return the lovely one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not sure if this is the right place to ask; I'm going to look around at GoPro forums as well. I'm having an issue with a piece of software hanging my Mac Pro. It's GoPro's 'Fusion Studio' software, made for stitching 360 video from the Fusion camera. I've successfully rendered smaller files with it no problem, but I'm trying to stitch a yuge video from a motorcycle ride, it's about an hour and 40 minutes. Twice now I've gone to render it at 5.2K resolution (knowing this would take many many hours, I left the machine running and went to bed or out for the day), and it's caused my machine to hang up in a really freaky way: I can't shut it down or power it back up; the white power light is not lit but one of my USB dongles (an iLok) has its blue LED flashing rapidly. I have to pull the power cable, presumably resetting the SMC, in order to turn it on again.

Is this something to worry about? Can my machine (a MP 5,1 with an RX580 GPU, two 3.46GHz Xeons and 64GB RAM) just simply not handle rendering the 5.2K video? I was under the impression I'd need to have the 5.2K file in order to end up with 4K when editing. I could try rendering out smaller clips but the Fusion Studio software is painfully slow to scrub through and find In/Out points.