Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Maybe check out my friend’s band Python, nice NYC Sicilian old men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b95EAgLJIAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The music kicks rear end, I appreciate your recs. But if the band name ends in SS in lightning bolts im allowed some hesitance

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ingmar terdman posted:

The music kicks rear end, I appreciate your recs. But if the band name ends in SS in lightning bolts im allowed some hesitance

A lot of 80s bands used a lightning rune S or similar stuff just because it looks cool, as a general rule if it's from the 80s you don't need to worry, Nazism didn't really have a presence in metal at all then. In fact I struggle to think of any dodgy metal bands from that time period.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Plus everyone should be listening to crude ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98PjbqTZj3s

And maybe some SS Decontrol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVS0ZAux2Ho

Oh yeah hi stoner thread, my bad

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Really diggin Paul Chain and the rest.

I am certainly hesitant to listen to any band with SS in their name. I generally wont until I investigate.

Paulo and Lola's youtubes are real great. Subbed for sure.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ingmar terdman posted:

watch out for Kiss

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Eat The Rich posted:

Paulo and Lola's youtubes are real great. Subbed for sure.

I named my kitty Lola after her.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Death Super Sport

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Recently went through every album with Leif Edling in chronological order. Lots of great stuff especially Candlemass and Krux, but it really has to be said that he struggled quite a bit with his writing in the 90's.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A lot of metal/hardcore that is in no way sympathetic to Nazis has used nazi imagery for pretty much ever. I always thought of it as the same thing as Satan, facism etc. Just something dark/evil to associate with. But I also think back then Nazis were in the background. It was this historic evil, and a subculture that you didn’t run into much in most parts of the country. You really couldn’t get away with it in 2020 because Nazi sympathizers are so out in the open. You’d just look like a bunch of Nazis.

I mean look at Lemmy/Motörhead.

That rules my phone autocorrected Motörhead to have the little dots over it. Although it turned Lemmy into Lenny lol.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I get the old school shock value thing

I was just posting after midnight* and didnt want to come back the next day to find I had asked for recommendations on the Varg of Italian doom metal or whatever. I'm digging his stuff

*and subsequently rocking til the dawn

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 3, 2020

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

A lot of metal/hardcore that is in no way sympathetic to Nazis has used nazi imagery for pretty much ever. I always thought of it as the same thing as Satan, facism etc. Just something dark/evil to associate with. But I also think back then Nazis were in the background. It was this historic evil, and a subculture that you didn’t run into much in most parts of the country. You really couldn’t get away with it in 2020 because Nazi sympathizers are so out in the open. You’d just look like a bunch of Nazis.

I mean look at Lemmy/Motörhead.

That rules my phone autocorrected Motörhead to have the little dots over it. Although it turned Lemmy into Lenny lol.

Lemmy would probably be 'problematic' if he was still alive because of all the nazi poo poo he collects.

although he has the great line in one of his docos 'Im not a nazi, i have a black girlfriend for christs sake!'

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Laserface posted:

although he has the great line in one of his docos 'Im not a nazi, i have a black girlfriend for christs sake!'

I don’t really know about Lemmy one way or the other but racists love saying stuff like that

Also I found this old flyer some of you might like

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if you read his book or watch any of his docs its pretty clear lemmys not a racist just a history buff

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Its me im the Nazi that has a black girlfriend to prove how un-nazi i am.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lemmy's solution to racism is to screw each other blind until we get to be coffeeish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skGEBgePHtk

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

New All Them Witches is actually pretty heavy. There's some good sludgy riffs in there.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

New All Them Witches is actually pretty heavy. There's some good sludgy riffs in there.

Cool, thanks for the link. These guys have released some of my favorite albums in the past decade, but some of the more recent material was relatively lackluster to me.

On a completely different note, I wish that they'd get a different artist for their covers other than their drummer. He's got a scribbly aesthetic which has started to look shoddy compared to the music. I'm a big ol art nerd though so it probably doesn't make any difference anyway

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDqHM3LGvkc

Hey what’s the deal with all this gothic not quite stoner not quite doom not quite country like Wovenhand, Emma Ruth Rundle, Lord Buffalo, All Them Witches, King Buffalo, Palehorse/Palerider poo poo lately? Has this music always been around? I’m getting really into it. I’ve been into Wovenhand and ATW for a few years but I’m suddenly coming across so much more.

Quoting from several pages back but you should also check out Wolfhand
https://wolfhandvt.bandcamp.com/album/the-devil-arrives

somethinghand

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Zoben posted:

Cool, thanks for the link. These guys have released some of my favorite albums in the past decade, but some of the more recent material was relatively lackluster to me.

On a completely different note, I wish that they'd get a different artist for their covers other than their drummer. He's got a scribbly aesthetic which has started to look shoddy compared to the music. I'm a big ol art nerd though so it probably doesn't make any difference anyway

Yeah, I just can't get excited about their album art at all. Or their logo. I've come to expect more traditional psychedelic art from stoner bands, I guess. I've listened to a handful of bands just because of their album art, some of which you did. My eyes just slide right off theirs because it doesn't match their sound at all.

ALSO Wovenhand albums are all $4 each on Bandcamp today.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Yeah, I just can't get excited about their album art at all. Or their logo. I've come to expect more traditional psychedelic art from stoner bands, I guess. I've listened to a handful of bands just because of their album art, some of which you did. My eyes just slide right off theirs because it doesn't match their sound at all.

ALSO Wovenhand albums are all $4 each on Bandcamp today.

In general the art doesn't matter too much if the music is great, but it's a nice way to visually complement the musical and lyrical content, and you're right -- it must be the genre, because I've grown accustomed to seeing some interesting and elaborate art for stoner albums. At the same time I don't want to bash the style simply because it's different, it's just not my cup of tea. I'm with you though, I've listened to some bands without necessarily knowing how they sound because the art was rad, it's all part of the marketing and packaging. I've even tricked myself into getting some substandard beer/wine/etc because I liked the label.

I've seen ATW a couple of times, I don't know if he always does it but one time the singer dude had a lot of fuzz on his bass so it kicked the heaviness up a good notch

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Hi stoner thread! My band OVNIII just released our first album, have a listen! It's stoner/psych rock. I hope it fits here.

https://ovniii.bandcamp.com/releases

I think it's funny the discussion is on band member-created art as ours was made by our bassist (from a painting). I do kind of like the All Them Witches art. Voivod is a pretty bad offender imo...

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 8, 2020

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Colonel J posted:

Hi stoner thread! My band OVNIII just released our first album, have a listen! It's stoner/psych rock. I hope it fits here.

https://ovniii.bandcamp.com/releases

I think it's funny the discussion is on band member-created art as ours was made by our bassist (from a painting). I do kind of like the All Them Witches art. Voivod is a pretty bad offender imo...

<sigh> <adds to cart for purchase on Friday>

Also, Voivod's art rules, as does Voivod.The first metal video I ever "got" was Tribal Convictions.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

im_sorry posted:

Also, Voivod's art rules, as does Voivod.

Agreed. I even had the chance to meet Away after a show a few years ago. After several whiskey shots and a few beers all I could manage was, “Hey! I like your designs...”. Not my best fan moment.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
https://youtu.be/1j1HHy2M9Rg

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The track on the new Mastodon rarities collection with Gibby Haynes is really cool

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The track on the new Mastodon rarities collection with Gibby Haynes is really cool

Cool to see the Flaming Lips and Metallica cover as well on that album.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This rules.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Laserface posted:

Turtle Skulls new album 'Monoliths' is out today, for fee-free-friday on bandcamp. also on streaming.

they describe themselves as 'flower doom' and I agree. bit shoe-gazey with some heavier parts thrown in, fuzzy guitars and writhing synths.

I really like how some of the elements are reused and return at points on the album.

https://turtleskullmusic.bandcamp.com/album/monoliths

"Why do you ask?" is probably my favorite track.

I've probably listened to this 20 times since I saw your link. It's pulling a lot of different strands together for me, I'm a big fan now!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

What websites do y'all look at for finding new music in this genre? I go to doomcharts.com sometimes, which is helpful, but I'm wondering if there are other good sites with other opinions too.

I dip in and out of paying attention to doom and I kinda just wanted to see if I've missed anything like, foundational to the genre. The last significant release I remember was The Sciences by Sleep and then I guess I spent like a year just listening to 90s radio rock because I was in a lovely cover band, or listening to podcasts instead of listening to music. So I gotta play catch up on doom.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Times like these make you realize how many acts you find out about from venue flyers, bar chatter, and staring at the back of someone's jacket during a show

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hellblazer187 posted:

What websites do y'all look at for finding new music in this genre? I go to doomcharts.com sometimes, which is helpful, but I'm wondering if there are other good sites with other opinions too.

I dip in and out of paying attention to doom and I kinda just wanted to see if I've missed anything like, foundational to the genre. The last significant release I remember was The Sciences by Sleep and then I guess I spent like a year just listening to 90s radio rock because I was in a lovely cover band, or listening to podcasts instead of listening to music. So I gotta play catch up on doom.

I follow some youtube channels that release new albums as promos. 666MrDoom tends to be the most prolific, posting several albums each day. I assume since the stuff he's posting isn't being taken down, he's also band sanctioned. There was another guy who was the go-to for a while, but it turned out he was a colossal shitheel and I think most bands told him to take their music off his feed.

Anyway, if I listen to an album more then three or four times, I'll normally just go ahead and buy it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ingmar terdman posted:

Times like these make you realize how many acts you find out about from venue flyers, bar chatter, and staring at the back of someone's jacket during a show

Yeah I'm like... not in that space right now. I live abroad and even before Covid the language barrier and my own long term social anxiety have kept me really isolated. And since Covid happened oh man. I haven't been inside of a building other than my house since April. I go outside to walk my dog but otherwise, it's these four walls brother.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

I think it's very unlikely you could miss a foundational doom metal album at this point because all the foundational albums came out in the 70s and 80s.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

This thread or the psychedelic rock thread.

Doomed and stoned on facebook, local gig guides (lol) Spotify weekly new music recs, word of mouth with friends and locals at gigs (also lol). I follow a few facebook/instagrams/youtubes too. Stoned and Dusted Festival has been introducing me to a few new bands by uploading live sets/clips from previous festivals.

Im lucky that a lot my friends are passionate about music as a hobby and we all enjoy stoner/doom as our favorite heavy genre, to the point that we got told to start a separate group chat for music stuff because the other people were getting annoyed.

Theres been some pretty big releases since The Sciences (which came out 4/20 2018). you can probably do that thing where you see all a users posts in a single thread (my posts) and find a comment regarding every single major release since then (and probably before!). I tend to focus on my local talent ( :australia: ) but if they are a tentpole band for this thread I would have passed comment on whatever they've released.

not at all claiming to be an authority, however.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Here's something I'm sure you haven't heard -- https://totem4.bandcamp.com/album/lot-fago grew up with the frontman/bassplayer. Heavy!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Hellblazer187 posted:

...I spent like a year just listening to 90s radio rock because I was in a lovely cover band...

Ho boy! Been there, done that.

"Why don't you wanna play this song?"

"Because it's loving terrible?!"

"But people like it.:

:ughh:

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Weaponized Cum posted:

Here's something I'm sure you haven't heard -- https://totem4.bandcamp.com/album/lot-fago grew up with the frontman/bassplayer. Heavy!

Added to my wish list!

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Weaponized Cum posted:

Added to my cart for $1.69.

I'll pull the trigger on my cart on Friday. I should probably make it more than $1.69, but they only want $1.50 for their whole discography. I'll think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rVaUIaRaA8

:rock: