Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Is there a mod that lets you specify a quantity of an item to keep in a stockpile? I wonder if this is even possible within the game's code. I like using increased stack sizes and deep storage but I also want certain items in multiple locations for accessibility reasons. For example I want to keep one stock of herbal medicine in my drug lab and another in my prison, but the stack in the prison doesn't need to have more than 20 or 30. It would be nice if there was a "mini" stockpile you could use for instances like this.

In addition to the other mod mentioned, Rimworld Search Agency also adds a slider that lets you set a maximum % each tile in the stockpile should be filled to. It does work with Deep Storage furniture, but the search functionality itself has this aggravating bug in 1.2 where it sometimes switches back to old search results on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I once had a pawn with fibrous mechanites who was incapacitated despite only being in mild pain, too, not really sure what was up with that since the tooltip suggests that they shouldn't be randomly downed like that. Didn't wake up for several weeks until I got sick of it and used dev mode to remove the mechanites, and then he immediately woke up

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

QuarkJets posted:

Are you sure? I thought it was the equivalent of the sudden death slider for colonists, but for enemies, and turning that down definitely lets colonists survive hits that should normally kill them

100%

the sudden death slider for colonists is the chance that a colonist who took a fatal shot will survive anyway - so a head/heart shot will leave them with 1 organ HP and give you a chance to scrape them up off the dirt. the sudden death slider for raiders modifies the chance of them dying instantly when they fall over from pain.

QuarkJets posted:

I once had a pawn with fibrous mechanites who was incapacitated despite only being in mild pain, too, not really sure what was up with that since the tooltip suggests that they shouldn't be randomly downed like that. Didn't wake up for several weeks until I got sick of it and used dev mode to remove the mechanites, and then he immediately woke up

was the pawn a Wimp? they fall over from pain at 20% of the normal limit.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Hooray, four people survived the most recent raid on me. This has got to be enough warm bodies to start effectively getting poo poo done in a timely manner!

Unfortunately, one of them just lies in a hospital bed all day and screams in pain. Does go-juice addiction hurt that bad? He has fiberous mechanites and an aching wound too, but I've never seen anyone in mind-searing pain before.

That is excellent for the go-juice withdrawal, then they're bed ridden until they're done detoxing instead of freaking out and murdering your livestock.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

CapnAndy posted:

Any tips for non-lethal takedowns of raiders, especially at range?
I think the answer here is automatic weapons that fire more but fewer bullets. A larger number of weaker hits is more likely to down a pawn due to pain than to kill them by knocking out a vital organ, especially when they're armored. 2/3 will still auto-die on down unless you disable that in the settings, however.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

silentsnack posted:

You might also want to mess with the custom difficulty settings because the storyteller has a chance of just instakilling any downed pawn (normally for playerfaction+prisoners it's zero) and the chance of being able to capture enemies is reduced depending on your population. With the Cassandra storyteller personality the chance of instadeath goes to 100% if your population is >20, I think Randy's hardcap is 50 colonists?
My understanding was that the storyteller population limits affected the odds of getting population-increasing events and the recruitment difficulty of prisoners, but that the "automatic death on down" was always the same.

One piece of evidence for this is that you still get a bunch of auto-deaths when you only have one colonist.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

ShadowHawk posted:

My understanding was that the storyteller population limits affected the odds of getting population-increasing events and the recruitment difficulty of prisoners, but that the "automatic death on down" was always the same.

One piece of evidence for this is that you still get a bunch of auto-deaths when you only have one colonist.

I may be misremembering and/or otherwise wrong (wouldn't be the first time today) and things may have changed since I last bothered messing around with that but at least in vanilla ~b19 the minimum chance of instadeath seemed to start somewhere around 50% with 1 colonist and went up to something like 95~98% at max population (before considering the need to use smashier guns to stop late-game raids.)

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

I found one for 1.1 ([Remade+Updated] Stockpile Stack Limit), and comments suggest it works with 1.2.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

In addition to the other mod mentioned, Rimworld Search Agency also adds a slider that lets you set a maximum % each tile in the stockpile should be filled to. It does work with Deep Storage furniture, but the search functionality itself has this aggravating bug in 1.2 where it sometimes switches back to old search results on you.

These look useful, thanks! I think I've found a sweet spot with deep storage + simple storage and vanilla stack sizes, which has the added bonus of looking pretty cool.

Speaking of mods, I'm running Android Tiers and some annoying things that can happen are androids showing up in crashed escape pods who shrug off the damage and leave before you can capture/rescue them, and dumpy T1 androids showing up as quest rewards. If I use KV faction control to eliminate them from my world, will that make them go away while also being able to build them on my own? I don't really care if there are android factions on the map, I just want to play around with the skymind stuff later. But when the aforementioned things happen it can feel like being robbed of a potential new colonist.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 12, 2020

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Doomykins posted:

Pain incapacitation is very real, withdrawal is a sledgehammer and mechanites are a really annoying long term persistent +pain. If his consciousness won't rise and his pain is severe/extreme he's not gonna get up.
It turns out it was the withdrawl; once she was done detoxing her pain dropped by 50% and she could finally get up. Which is good since I was prepared to euthanize the poor bastard otherwise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You would think having someone in incapacitating pain for months on end would have long term side effects but nope.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I had one of those suppression effects on my colony that lowers conciousness and I got raided by a bunch of doped up mercs in severe withdrawal and they all just collapsed on my lawn the moment they landed on the planet.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Kibbles n Shits posted:

These look useful, thanks! I think I've found a sweet spot with deep storage + simple storage and vanilla stack sizes, which has the added bonus of looking pretty cool.

Speaking of mods, I'm running Android Tiers and some annoying things that can happen are androids showing up in crashed escape pods who shrug off the damage and leave before you can capture/rescue them, and dumpy T1 androids showing up as quest rewards. If I use KV faction control to eliminate them from my world, will that make them go away while also being able to build them on my own? I don't really care if there are android factions on the map, I just want to play around with the skymind stuff later. But when the aforementioned things happen it can feel like being robbed of a potential new colonist.

T1 androids are great. Constant labour that never sleeps, never complains, are essentially expendable and only need to eat or recharge for a short time. I added 2 doing basic construction work and another one doing mining, it really shortens big building projects and keeps a trickle of resources coming out of my quarry.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I started a new boreal forest game and very early on, day 3 or 4, something like 10 ducks wander in. Fantastic, I think to myself, this will keep the stress over having enough food down. Instead it causes even more stress because every single otter on the map makes a beeline for them if they are outside for even a second. I'm stashing them in someone's bedroom and only able to let them out to graze for an hour or so a day. One unlucky colonist has been mauled not once but twice and lost an eye defending the ducks. I don't even have a barn yet much less hay and I need all the food I can get for my colonists so I can't waste it on kibble.

Got plenty of lightleather from dead otters, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carcer posted:

T1 androids are great. Constant labour that never sleeps, never complains, are essentially expendable and only need to eat or recharge for a short time. I added 2 doing basic construction work and another one doing mining, it really shortens big building projects and keeps a trickle of resources coming out of my quarry.

T2 androids also work that way but with a significantly less severe penalty to work rate, and also significantly larger so they can carry more and move faster.

All non-sapient androids are very good but re: an earlier post about what the point of T1s is, T2s are a strict upgrade over T1s, excepting a slightly higher food/power cost and a slightly lower constant mood buff, though they are still basically emotionless and needless so unless you have some odd mod interactions they shouldn't ever experience problems from low mood.

I think T1s mostly just exist so that you can have a slightly less brokenly OP option to give out as quest rewards because their ability to work constantly is definitely very good even with their many penalties.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 13, 2020

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So are the t1 droids I get from events etc are non sentient even though they have a life background (like chef or sdier in their background)? Also do I have to build them individual rooms with Android pods or is a barrack with charging port sufficient?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ughhhh posted:

So are the t1 droids I get from events etc are non sentient even though they have a life background (like chef or sdier in their background)? Also do I have to build them individual rooms with Android pods or is a barrack with charging port sufficient?

T1 androids don't care about anything, toss their charging/repair beds wherever, they don't care.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Do higher tier androids have emotions and relationships etc replicant style?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Perhaps I underestimated T1 androids. I've never seen one with particularly high skill and their work speed/move penalty makes them feel pretty useless at times, though being able to work 24/7 is nice. Usually I'd rather have a colonist with low skill but training potential and/or good traits. I haven't delved deep into the android tiers mechanics yet, can they eventually be upgraded?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ughhhh posted:

It's odd, the androids mod doesn't seem very good about making sure droid/non droid pawns have appropriate backgrounds.

And I'm not sure if it's intentional because you can actually download a bio pawn into an android body, or vice versa, so I don't know if it's intended to simulate that?

But yes, T1/2s are always non sapient, they don't count as people if they die and they are still emotionless, it's a limitation of their chassis, they will happily go to their assigned charging pod whatever the condition and don't care about basically anything in their environment, you can't make a T1/2 into a fully emotionally functional member of the colony.

Insert your own jokes about how that also applies to a lot of vanilla colonists :v:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Perhaps I underestimated T1 androids. I've never seen one with particularly high skill and their work speed/move penalty makes them feel pretty useless at times, though being able to work 24/7 is nice. Usually I'd rather have a colonist with low skill but training potential and/or good traits. I haven't delved deep into the android tiers mechanics yet, can they eventually be upgraded?

They can't be upgraded to higher tiers, th⁷ough they can get some upgrades, but you'd be better off making a higher tier android to use them in.

The benefit to T1 androids is that they have no needs other than a bit of power and they otherwise work nonstop, so they're very good for the work that doesn't need to be done well but does need to get done eventually - planting, wall/floor building and smoothing, mining of stone walls, making blocks, hauling, cleaning The only impact their generally low skills and poor capabilities has on those things is time (and maybe a bit of materials for the construction part), but since they work forever and none of those are super time sensitive they make up for it and it means you can have your non-android colonists focus on the more important things.

Piell fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 13, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kibbles n Shits posted:

They don't usually have high skills and they learn/work much slower than baseline colonists, but the fact they can work 24/7 largely offsets the work speed penalty so even then they are almost as good as a regular colonist and have virtually no upkeep. It takes them much longer to complete tasks but they can have nearly twice the working duration when you account for no rec, eating, or sleeping time (except for a charge every so often which is quicker than sleeping and occurs less frequently)

If you have a task that just needs doing constantly in one location they are a very good pick, and you can offset the move speed issue by putting stockpiles near their work area, as well as their charging pod. Slap one in the kitchen and you will have a constant supply of meals at all times and a very well organized freezer. Put one near your stonecutting table and they will sit there all day processing stone. It is generally a good idea to restrict them to their work area because they have no reason to leave it and that means they will always be on station.

Also, critically, once you unlock the skill servers you can very easily generate points to boost them up to skill 20 in anything you want. T1s are the cheapest bot to infuse skill points into so they can become extremely skilled if still a little slow due to the global work speed penalty they have.

T2s are still a better choice as all of the above still applies to them, but T1s are still very valuable additions if you get one for free, especially early on.

T2s are better because you can specialize them more with upgrade parts, like drill arms and such, which will actually make them yield a lot more ore from mining than regular colonists can. And they still have virtually no costs so you don't need to use them all the time.

Katt posted:

Do higher tier androids have emotions and relationships etc replicant style?

Higher tier androids are entirely self aware and function much like regular colonists, except that I think they have no comfort need because android bodies don't get sore.

They do indeed form relationships which can be a problem because they don't sleep in beds and they also don't gently caress, which can make their partner unhappy. They are, alas, not fully functional or anatomically correct, or they're volcel, one of the two.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 13, 2020

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

They do indeed form relationships which can be a problem because they don't sleep in beds and they also don't gently caress, which can make their partner unhappy. They are, alas, not fully functional or anatomically correct, or they're volcel, one of the two.

Like modular man from wild cards only without a functional robot wang.

No bits coming down the cable if you know what I mean.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Winnowing down a colony of 60. I have 4 kids to take with, with 4 adults I’ve already chosen. I’m thinking.... another 4 will move on? Next colony I’m setting enemy death on down to 100% and setting Empire to hostile.

Now to figure out which ones get to survive the colony calamity (ie the “toggle all disasters on my SimCity method) - random 4 number generator, all colonists get a number, top four get to join the exodus caravan.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I'm trying to start a new game but for some reason there's like 5 towns on the entire planet as opposed to 200. What's this about?

And androids is conflicting with "prepare carefully"

Katt fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 13, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In the waifu android mod there is the worker droid that can't increase its skills, but having something that operates 24/7 and only needs to pause to charge for a few seconds, its amazing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

I started a new boreal forest game and very early on, day 3 or 4, something like 10 ducks wander in. Fantastic, I think to myself, this will keep the stress over having enough food down. Instead it causes even more stress because every single otter on the map makes a beeline for them if they are outside for even a second. I'm stashing them in someone's bedroom and only able to let them out to graze for an hour or so a day. One unlucky colonist has been mauled not once but twice and lost an eye defending the ducks. I don't even have a barn yet much less hay and I need all the food I can get for my colonists so I can't waste it on kibble.

Got plenty of lightleather from dead otters, though.

This just sounds like an opportunity to draw tons of otters into a killbox. Maybe not the easiest thing to do in a very early colony but I'd give it a shot, maybe build some spike traps in a long hallway and put the ducks in the other end in a small room with a pair of doors leading in, basically creating an otter trap

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

T2s are better because you can specialize them more with upgrade parts, like drill arms and such, which will actually make them yield a lot more ore from mining than regular colonists can. And they still have virtually no costs so you don't need to use them all the time.

You can upgrade tier 1's as well, giving miner bots drill arms combined with super quick skill boosting means a single upgraded T1 can mine significantly larger quantities of steel than a trained colonist.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

This just sounds like an opportunity to draw tons of otters into a killbox. Maybe not the easiest thing to do in a very early colony but I'd give it a shot, maybe build some spike traps in a long hallway and put the ducks in the other end in a small room with a pair of doors leading in, basically creating an otter trap

Traps only trigger on manhunting animals I'm pretty sure.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

Traps only trigger on manhunting animals I'm pretty sure.

Animals sense traps when they're calm, but they'll trigger traps when they're seeking revenge or hunting. I imagine that these otters are actually entering hunting mode prior to reaching the ducks

E: traps are my go to way for taking down thrumbos. Have a person shoot the thrumbos to get their attention and then lead them into a corridor of traps

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 14, 2020

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There was a patch that added gun links items that go in the head armor slot but I'd wager all my pawns with mangled brains that they may not be safe.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Is there a mod that zooms to a pawn's location when you click its icon?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Double click. Or cycle through them, default keys are , and .

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Finally figured out the power of a main entrance with autodoors with a side entrance with twisty hallways lined with traps.

Now to figure out how the hell clothing layering/outfit orders work. Should I have my pawns all in full gear at all times?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Can I change the map size on founding a new settlement?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ughhhh posted:

Finally figured out the power of a main entrance with autodoors with a side entrance with twisty hallways lined with traps.

Now to figure out how the hell clothing layering/outfit orders work. Should I have my pawns all in full gear at all times?

I'm lazy so I do full gear but I forbid things like royal gear and prestige armor unless the pawn has an actual title. I also keep around an "outfit" category that's just for nudists, e.g. wear nothing but a belt and a hat

You could totally set up Soldier and Worker categories that use exclusive sets of things, e.g. dusters and the like when they're working and then when there's a raid to go deal with you switch them over to the Soldier outfits with armor and stuff. But like I said, I'm lazy. Hey everybody be sure to wear your flak jacket while your harvesting those berries, there are thorns in those bushes

Also be sure to set all of your outfits to only allow 50-100% durability, that way once pawns are wearing tattered stuff they'll go swap it out asap

There are mods that let you get fancier with clothing designation but the vanilla systems are pretty good imo

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

Also be sure to set all of your outfits to only allow 50-100% durability, that way once pawns are wearing tattered stuff they'll go swap it out asap

I think you want 51-100% otherwise they will be unhappy while they wear that last 1% down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carcer posted:

You can upgrade tier 1's as well, giving miner bots drill arms combined with super quick skill boosting means a single upgraded T1 can mine significantly larger quantities of steel than a trained colonist.

Last I checked a lot of the upgrades wouldn't be allowed on T1s, T2 minimum. They may have changed it though.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

There was a patch that added gun links items that go in the head armor slot but I'd wager all my pawns with mangled brains that they may not be safe.

Colony wide projectile shield from ED is your go-to for colony defense from projectiles (up to a point), melee enemies don't care about shields but still need to make their way though your maze of embrasures.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

He knows they're in there, and he knows waiting for them to come out is easier than running all the way across the map to hunt the only squirrel left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

ughhhh posted:

You can set up an outfit that includes armor for battles and switch on the fly but honestly by the time your pawns change their gear the enemy will be beating down your front door anyways so I have never bothered. You could micro it to save a little time but I'm always looking for ways to avoid micro in Rimworld. Not to mention if raiders crash in through your bedroom roofs, you absolutely want to already be wearing armor.

Usually I'll have a standard outfit that includes dusters (preferably thrumbofur), chain mail (comes from the vanilla armor expanded mod, a skin layer armor that covers everything shoulders down and has decent protection at the cost of a slight move speed penalty), flak vest, and helmet. For vanilla clothing substitute chainmail with button down shirts and pants, aiming to eventually make them thrumbofur or hyperweave. Heavy fur is good for early game before you can mass thrumbofur. Then I force wear shield belts on my melee pawns, and with this kind of setup they have pretty reasonable protection, enough to melee block a corridor and tank some fairly large raids/infestations.

Ideally you'd have some dedicated soldiers in heavy armor at all times but I prefer to play with 10-12 colonists max and I usually need them all unencumbered because I need them all working at max capacity. If I had 20+ colonists I'd have more delineation between lightly armored workers and heavily armored soldiers.

Oh and huge shoutout to the mend and repair mod. It works beautifully in conjunction with the everyone gets one mod - just set your tailor/machining tables to make 1 per colonist + 1 or 2 of whatever armor/apparel item you want, and then set up a mending table to repair them. When a pawn's clothing drops below the durability threshold, they'll swap it out for the spare item, and then someone will mend the old one, creating the next spare. Completely takes the micromanagement out of clothing, just specify how many items of what material you want at your work benches and your pawns take care of the rest.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 14, 2020