Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

dr hoverwife pulls in $225k, though she comes home with right about half that because she works for the feds and pays into retirement, plus insurance and stuff

together we were nowhere close to being able afford anything larger than a shanty if she'd stayed at stanford's hospital lol

we used to live in subsidized housing for stanford faculty and one of our neighbors was married to a wealth manager who couldn't afford to live there once their partner graduated grad school

I just literally told a story about you and your wife and subsidized housing to my in laws today and got told I was a loving liar for saying people that make six figures need housing assistance btw

literally just today lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol

with stanford buying out the master lease for that place they got to dictate rent increases (which were zero while we were there) we were still paying a little over $4k/month for a 2br 2ba 975sqft unit. i bet it's still the same now too

a comparable place across the street built about a year or so earlier had same size units at ~$5700/month, probably over $6k now, and there were ofc more expensive places right around there too

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i live in a weird time and place right now, because people with money on the coasts have been moving inland to Outdoor magazine's "top 10 places to live", since the fires of last year. as a result, they've been snapping up property, and the rent has gone up 1000%. for most people. the livable income raise doesn't really adjust to that, so more and more people have been forced to move. it loving sucks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

dr hoverwife pulls in $225k, though she comes home with right about half that because she works for the feds and pays into retirement, plus insurance and stuff

that sweet sweet fedgov pension.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Beamed posted:

i 100% agree with fatty crabcakes when they posted that there's bigger fish to fry in terms of rich people.

for now.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

in silicon valley everything old is new again, so it's no surprise that the nerds have reinvented tenement housing

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

2020 claims another victim; no peeps for halloween or christmas

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol

you know those knee scooters? yeah no insurance covers those, the doctor recommended amazon. they have a surprising/depressing amount of durable medical equipment on there

oh yeah and if you're not a teenager you are not using crutches. it's just not happening

guy i'm working with had to get a hearing aid for his daughter. when we were in a working session last week he told me insurance didn't cover it. five thousand dollars

our country is so loving stupid

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i listened to some podcast about a father whose daughter needed some medication that would delay puberty (she was starting ridiculously young), and it's a drug that, in a *slightly* smaller dosage (like, micrograms smaller) is also approved for use for prostate cancer. the puberty version was something like $30k and his insurance would cover part of it - he'd still ahve to pay like $5k out of pocket or something. the prostate cancer version was like $9k and they absolutely refused to pay even a dime for it since it wasn't approved for that use, even though the doctor said it was totally fine since it's a slightly smaller dose of the same thing. he fought and fought and ultimately just had to go with the approved version, even though he was basically fighting to save the insurance company money.

this country is hosed.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm 35 and not in a relationship so my assumption at this point is that i'm not having kids

if things get to the point next year where i feel comfortable going into a doctor's office for elective procedures, i'll probably go get the snip. assuming i don't die first in a subduction fault earthquake, or post election-cancellation riots, or just throwing a random brain clot or something

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PIZZA.BAT posted:

guy i'm working with had to get a hearing aid for his daughter. when we were in a working session last week he told me insurance didn't cover it. five thousand dollars

our country is so loving stupid

death to america

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Its starting to get dark out at 8pm.

:(

The sun will be completely down by 5pm in 8-10 weeks.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

it's dark by 7 here on account of the air being approximately ten percent smoke by volume

thanks, america

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Methanar posted:

looking forward to this as it is when the temperature becomes livable outside in T*xas

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

looking forward to this as it is when the temperature becomes livable outside in T*xas

same but temperatures become cold enough to kill you in less than 10 minutes without winter gear.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Methanar posted:

same but temperatures become cold enough to kill you in less than 10 minutes without winter gear.

this is my favorite time of year

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Methanar posted:

yeah it loving sucks, we lost a whole summer to this bullshit.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Eeyo posted:

I just went through my closest to clean it up since I decided its also time to start doubling up on socks again since my stupid basement room here gets so cold.

I took all my pairs of shorts, none of which that have been worn since last august, out and put them in drawers.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
It's been a bad day!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Eeyo posted:

Looking a lot like we'll be missing next one too because the last 6 months haven't shown much progress in properly getting rid of covid, I'm not betting anything on the next 6 either!

2022. Summer. Is the most optimistic prediction for when things might be normal again (they won't: climate change is exponentially exploding, annual catastrophic fires and weather events will now happen multiple times a year forever in the US, australia, brazil and soon to be siberia too, monetary systems are transparently shams. There is no future.)

Even if covid does go away by 2022, it'll still be here and you'll now have regular international full lockdowns after every ebola/hiv/mad cow/zika/swine flu/bird flu/sars scare Just To Be Safe.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 14, 2020

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

on the plus side i guess i can eat more hot soup, that's always pleasant. plus blankets are nice and cozy so its not all bad.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Eeyo posted:

so its not all bad.

we’ll let history be the judge of your posting, tyvm.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

with both our kids my wife had bad morning sickness in the first trimester and then contractions for two and three. it was pretty rough on her.

we had a woman who had bad constipation from the ondansetron she had for morning sickness and hadn’t taken a poo poo for like 17 days. LOL

god this earnings chat makes me depressed. gently caress pharmacy is over in this country. economy is bad enough as it is but no pay rises for half a decade is a decent pay cut considering increased living costs. credit card debt makes me depressed every second of the day. pretty high chance i’ll have a stroke leaving me with only one functioning limb the day I get out of debt. LOL

i have a two bedroom. i’m so desperate to give my kids a room each, but i’d have to borrow to transform half the garage into a bedroom.. 😔 more debt sweet. i’m this close to taking up a sunday job even if it isn’t pharmacy just to try to make the debt number go down, it’s been going down lately, very slowly, but only coz i’ve had a 6 month mortgage holiday which ends in a month, then i have no idea how i’ll make it go down. i hate myself for my terrible financial skills. LOL.

my gfs continuing to dominate tho salary wise and ex wife seems to be doing great with her business and i’d rather be the sad one because it’d probably be more depressing to be ok but watch the mother of my children struggle. LOL

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there should be a thing where you can trade your life for a million bucks to give to each of your kids. LOL

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

life insurance?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
COVID has been such a massive net benefit for me and it is extremely hard to square that circle with the knowledge that people I know/the world just are suddenly turbofucked. I had a complete breakdown at work and all that happened was me getting to take time off and discovering that I've actually had a mental disorder for the majority of my life and it's extremely treatable and now i'm better than ever.

the stock portfolio is doing gangbusters and I get to putter around and get my pilots license while people I know are going 'welp there's another round of layoffs coming let's see if I make it this time'.

it is also unsurprisingly extremely difficult to talk through this with friends.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

life insurance?

mate i wish.

i don’t have an exhaustive list of every single medical thing i’ve ever had done so surely they’ll be like “you forgot to mention the time you went to the dr when you got your thumb caught in a press and sorry no life insurance”

there should be a service that does a trial run and sees if you would actually get it or not

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jimmy Carter posted:

COVID has been such a massive net benefit for me and it is extremely hard to square that circle with the knowledge that people I know/the world just are suddenly turbofucked. I had a complete breakdown at work and all that happened was me getting to take time off and discovering that I've actually had a mental disorder for the majority of my life and it's extremely treatable and now i'm better than ever.

the stock portfolio is doing gangbusters and I get to putter around and get my pilots license while people I know are going 'welp there's another round of layoffs coming let's see if I make it this time'.

it is also unsurprisingly extremely difficult to talk through this with friends.

i’m not bitter and i’m pleased for your fortune. everyone else just jealous coz not like they wouldn’t be doing what you’re doing if they were in your boat

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jimmy Carter posted:

COVID has been such a massive net benefit for me and it is extremely hard to square that circle with the knowledge that people I know/the world just are suddenly turbofucked.

extremely same. some people i know have no idea when they’ll work again, i got poached and joined the six figgie club. i feel guilty for not being deservedly angry/sad like so many others and i have no idea if that’s normal/healthy or just my catholic upbringing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echi i think you should take a credit card advance and dump it into tesla options. that will change your financial situation quick

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I read a nonironic essay somewhere about the "problems of being newly rich"

The first being that people stop taking your problems seriously and you feel awkward going to your friends because money does solve a lot of very real problems

But a lot of life's more serious problems aren't really solvable entirely with money - mental health, deaths in the family. Others, like loneliness and ennui, are only partially mitigable with money.

And some weirder problems are unique to success, like imposter syndrome. Or if you're really rich, a deep anxiety that people are just using you.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

life insurance?

a lot of life policies don’t pay out on suicides.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack posted:

the one I have has a two year stand down for suicide payouts

but as far as I know, you have an obligation to inform company of every new health development in your life not just flawless history, and if i develop mental brain i have to let them know

unless..
you don’t tell doctor

once I had a look at my own notes using the internal health system, you’re not meant to but I consented to myself doing it and noticed a note from dr about how i said i’d been drinking a bit much lately. every time since when they’ve asked i just say “couple on the weekend”. never tell them anything

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

echinopsis posted:

there should be a thing where you can trade your life for a million bucks to give to each of your kids. LOL
Could you be... the most dangerous game?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

life insurance?
it’s nice to have if you can get it at a reasonable rate. it has provided me with some peace of mind at least

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

good morning someone pls update this for wfh thx

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Midjack posted:

hmmmm

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

just imagine he's not wearing pants

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

haveblue posted:

just imagine he's not wearing pants

so here's what needs to change in that pic to make it wfh

1) add facial hair
2) make his hair longer too
3) he should be wearing a sweat-stained t-shirt
4) he's definitely day drinking now, add vodka and keep the monster energy
5) add a web-cam

now like i said, i'd do it msyelf but i'm actually pretty busy today, so here's batman eating a hot dog instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

echinopsis posted:

:capitalism: