Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Rephrased from the awkwardly over-literal translation, "one might say that one of Leon's biggest problems in life is that he gets too hung up on women" is a hilariously laconic and understated way to describe the perennial disaster zone that is Leon S. Kennedy's love life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Deep down I want to believe that was a failed Alex Wesker plot to drunkenly end the Leon menace before it even started.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Leon’s failed relationships with both ladies and vehicles is one of my favorite recurring series gags

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats the japanese translation for Luis' line something about "the president equipped his daughter with ballistics"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

codo27 posted:

Whats the japanese translation for Luis' line something about "the president equipped his daughter with ballistics"

Looking it up it's something like "Wow, for the president's daughter your boobs are huge" in the subtitles.

Most of the dialogue is basically the same but drier but there are some differences. (Saddler doesn't say anything about the United States policing the world, just that it is a useful place to show his power) but that's probably mostly localization stuff and not actual Changes.

The Right Hand exchange is, as near as I can tell something like , "I've sent my right arm to dispose of you." "Well, shouldn't you go get it back?"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 13, 2020

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Medullah posted:

RE7 first time playthrough question as I just started - Are there a lot of items hidden in crates and stuff that I can destroy? I have been plodding through because I'm examining everything and smashing whatever I can but thus far I haven't seen much.

Search everywhere. There's s a drug you can take at some point that will reveal just how much poo poo you're actually missing.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

ImpAtom posted:

Looking it up it's something like "Wow, for the president's daughter your boobs are huge" in the subtitles.

Most of the dialogue is basically the same but drier but there are some differences. (Saddler doesn't say anything about the United States policing the world, just that it is a useful place to show his power) but that's probably mostly localization stuff and not actual Changes.

The Right Hand exchange is, as near as I can tell something like , "I've sent my right arm to dispose of you." "Well, shouldn't you go get it back?"

Reminds me of a discussion in the Nintendo thread about how the original Japanese script of their games is usually kinda dry and the localization team punches it up.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wow, the Japanese version of 4 sounds boring as hell.

OhFunny posted:

Reminds me of a discussion in the Nintendo thread about how the original Japanese script of their games is usually kinda dry and the localization team punches it up.

My favorite of these are Splatoon fans that get upset that NoA makes the dialogue interesting in any way at all.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Gotta be fair, it's not like it's any worse of a line than "Your right hand comes off? :downs:"

I'm personally gonna assume there's cultural context there that makes the Japanese dialogue just sound a lot more vivid and funny to native speakers of Japanese, because "lol, it takes the English localization to actually make the script properly funny" seems like a ridiculously arrogant notion to take away from that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cardiovorax posted:

Gotta be fair, it's not like it's any worse of a line than "Your right hand comes off? :downs:"

Nah. That line is much better. Maybe you’re right and it does sound funnier in Japanese though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Leon's lines get due respect and love but you need a good foil to be truly funny.

Salazar flipping his poo poo after Leon goes "your right hand comes off?" is so essential to that line being perfect. And my favorite radio exchange will always be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMUajXtN5_0&t=29s

Saddler is just like "oh ho ho, you got me ya rascal! That's a good one."

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Leon and Raiden from Metal Gear are basically the same character except Raiden is obsessed with ninja animes and Leon is obsessed with Schwarzenegger movies.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Leon's lines get due respect and love but you need a good foil to be truly funny.

Salazar flipping his poo poo after Leon goes "your right hand comes off?" is so essential to that line being perfect.

Considering this is the Resident Evil Universe, "Your right hand comes off?" could be a legitimate question.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

MH Knights posted:

Considering this is the Resident Evil Universe, "Your right hand comes off?" could be a legitimate question.

*Ethan winces and tugs at his collar*

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, Ethan's right hand doesn't come off, so... :v:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Well, I finished Jill's scenario in RE1:DC on the Original campaign.

Five-and-a-half hours and fourteen saves isn't too bad, right?

Overall, I really liked the game; moreso than I was really expecting to. Once you've cleared certain areas of enemies or made it so you can dodge enemies safely, it plays like an adventure game, where you're sorting out puzzles and reading through files on what happened. I followed a walkthrough, but a lot of the puzzles aren't that difficult. The bosses were also a lot easier than I expected (although the fight with Tyrant on the helipad was sort of annoying).

In terms of my issues with it, again the biggest issue was the inventory. Even when you take it into account, it can still be a chore swapping items around. There are some irritating quirks to it. For example, I found I couldn't load specialty rounds into the bazooka if the clip was full. What I wish you could do was drop items on the ground if you have a full inventory if you want to, say, pick up another herb and combine it wit another.

Also, despite following a walkthrough, it seemed like there were a few points where you'd wouldn't necessarily know to get something or check something. The MO disks aren't super-hard to figure out, but they seem sort of out-of-the-way and easy-to-miss (then again, they're optional items that affect the ending, so I guess that makes sense). The fountain you put the medals in to open the path to the lab also doesn't have anything to indicate you can interact with it.

I did my best to dodge enemies, but I also took a lot of them out, and I never found that I was running really low on ammo. However, when you return to the mansion, getting around is a lot harder with the Hunters replacing most of the zombies. It gets worse when you get to the labs, where the central area has the naked zombies that respawn, and the Chimeras who swipe you when heading through the electrical section. I suppose it's just frustrating because you want to conserve ammo, but avoiding enemies can be sketchy, and then you end up burning through your health items.

At this point, I'm not sure whether to play Chris's campaign, or move on to RE2. At the moment, I thought about playing Chris' campaign on Beginner difficulty to make things a bit easier. I don't know that much about RE2, but it sounds like it's really long, and that's not counting the alternate campaigns for each character. There also RE1Make, but I think I want to play the games in release order, so going from RE1Make to RE2Classic would be jarring.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Move on to RE2. I don’t know your history with RE, but if you’re fairly new to the series, I’d recommended just keep moving forward, and don’t let the games feel too familiar. Nothing will ever beat playing a Resident Evil game for the first time.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Max Wilco posted:

The fountain you put the medals in to open the path to the lab also doesn't have anything to indicate you can interact with it.

The original generation of games usually signifies this with a camera angle change, but you can always use the standby of "push up against everything and mash X" until you get a bit of flavor text that tells you what to do. Since a ton of stuff in the early game gives you some sort of description (even if it is just a "nothing here", it kind of trains you to investigate everything. This is a case where using a walkthrough blunts the way the game expects you to operate.

The usual pitfall with that fountain is getting the medals in the first place. It is one of the few places you have to actually use the "look at this item" menu option (which usually just changes the name of the item or gives you a minor clue), and you've likely forgotten about it by then.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If you're starting totally fresh with the original the best order is

1, 2, 3, Code Veronica X
4, 5, Revelations 1 + 2
The remake of Resident evil 1 on gamecube
Resident Evil 7
The remakes of 2 and 3

Resident Evil 6 doesn't exist. If you're not playing couch co-op in RE5, expect an AI that's only useful in 3 chapters and is a detriment otherwise.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I would recommend skipping over Code Veronica and possibly also Revelations 1. Code Veronica is just straight-up a bore, it's so tedious to get through that I never finished it. Revelations 1 is a very okay game, but it's not as good as Revelations 2 and Rev2 only ever tangentially references it. If you want to make the most of your playthrough while avoiding the weakest bits, those are eminently optional.

quote:

The remake of Resident evil 1 on gamecube
Also playable on PC, excellent quality port.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

RE2 is easier, but I think it's also creepier, based on a single character. I won't say who, so as not to spoil the guy, but for me, that's probably the creepiest/most horrifying thing in the series.

Oh yes I don’t mean to take away from how good RE2 is and remains. I suppose what I actually mean is that RE2 is so much better at gradually ramping up the difficulty and not being too stingy about resources that I wouldn’t be surprised if someone who started with RE2 before RE1 didn’t die at all their first time through. For the time it has an incredibly well done pace of gameplay.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 14, 2020

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
RE2 is easier, but I think it's also creepier, based on a single character. I won't say who, so as not to spoil the guy, but for me, that's probably the creepiest/most horrifying thing in the series.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'd just move on to 2, but you'd better get comfy with that inventory system because lol it's gonna be there a while

Also my hot take is that if you're new to the series code veronica is worth at least checking out

site fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 14, 2020

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

site posted:

If just move on to 2, but you'd better get comfy with that inventory system because lol it's gonna be there a while

Also my hot take is that if you're new to the series code veronica is worth at least checking out
Just remember the fire extinquisher.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

site posted:

If just move on to 2, but you'd better get comfy with that inventory system because lol it's gonna be there a while

I stopped playing the series when 3 came out (put about an hour into it and never went back). I got the RE2make in January and it got me jonesing. I played the REmake, then decided to do 4. After that I did Code Veronica - it was just too drat hard so I cheated and downloaded a save file that had the infinite magnum unlocked. Was still hard but made things a lot easier. Eff that poison moth hallway forever though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think the forum are my post so this might be a double?? I dunno.

Leavemywife posted:

I don’t mean to take away how good RE2 is of course. I suppose what I mean is that it’s much better at gradually ramping up the difficulty and not being too stingy about resources. For its time and style it has amazingly well paced gameplay. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone who started the series with original RE2 didn’t die at all their first time through (and that’s a good thing).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Resident Evil series has been good about that in general. RE1 suffers a bit from having monsters with insta-kill attacks, but it's still not too unbearable.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I played RE2 first, loved it. Picked up RE1DC, played through it but largely forgot about it. Didn't care much for 3. Hated CVX, still haven't played more than an hour or two of it. 4, needs no opinion, certainly not from me. Did really like 5 though which some dont because its so actiony. 6 is a disgrace, 7 was an interesting experience but I wont be rushing back to replay. I haven't dabbled much in the non mainline entries.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Btw if you do move on to 2, there's a nice texture upscale mod you can use if you're into that sort of thing (there's one for 3 as well on that page)

https://www.reshdp.com/re2/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Strangely enough, I think it actually makes the game look worse at times. The thing about those AI upscalers is that they're good at making flat textures, but bad at inventing detail. With the low-res textures in the original, it's somehow easier to pretend to yourself that there is more detail than you can see. With the upscale, there visibly isn't, and it just makes everything feel flat and sterile.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think they went in and hand drew some stuff because especially the signage you can actually read em instead of just garbled poo poo. Personally the PS1 games look especially ugly to me nowadays

But yeah to each their own.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i dunno, i went through 2 and 3 with the upscaler mod and it was like watching a moving painting. it "hides" the item pickups like it did on a crt too while still being all hires.

i would actually say just play chris if you feel like it or not, might give cv more a meaning. re2 isnt that long either, about the same as it took you for jill but on each a and b. also ignore people who tell you to ignore 6.

or when you get to playing the remake, do what i do when i replay everything, play jill remake first, then re0, then chris remake, that works wonders. but yeah save re0 and remake for later, release order is good if its a first time.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 14, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

i dunno, i went through 2 and 3 with the upscaler mod and it was like watching a moving painting. it "hides" the item pickups like it did on a crt too while still being all hires.

i would actually say just play chris if you feel like it or not, might give cv more a meaning. re2 isnt that long either, about the same as it took you for jill but on each a and b. also ignore people who tell you to ignore 6.

or when you get to playing the remake, do what i do when i replay everything, play jill remake first, then re0, then chris remake, that works wonders. but yeah save re0 and remake for later, release order is good if its a first time.

I actually just picked up RE0 from Chrono.GG the other day.

I know 5 and 6 aren't the most popular, but I'm still curious about them. Going to wait until they go on sale before I pick them up, though.

Is there a definitive version of Code Veronica? There's a few different releases for it.

Cardiovorax posted:

Strangely enough, I think it actually makes the game look worse at times. The thing about those AI upscalers is that they're good at making flat textures, but bad at inventing detail. With the low-res textures in the original, it's somehow easier to pretend to yourself that there is more detail than you can see. With the upscale, there visibly isn't, and it just makes everything feel flat and sterile.

Going through the comparison images on the RESHDP site, everything looks a lot sharper, but when you compare some smaller details between the two, you can tell some details get garbled or contorted. The thing that sticks out to me particularly is that light sources and the areas around them seem to be overly bright or washed out. Some of the highlights also make it looks like they ran it through a Sharpen filter one too many times. The do mention down in the description that the process isn't perfect, and is still being worked on.

It's still pretty impressive, especially since there's no way to access the original 3D renderings (if they even still exist.)

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Kibayasu posted:

I think the forum are my post so this might be a double?? I dunno.

I don’t mean to take away how good RE2 is of course. I suppose what I mean is that it’s much better at gradually ramping up the difficulty and not being too stingy about resources. For its time and style it has amazingly well paced gameplay. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone who started the series with original RE2 didn’t die at all their first time through (and that’s a good thing).

Yeah, RE2 doesn't really have bullshit instant kills. I think the Ivies have one? For a long time, I thought the Lickers leaping attack had a high instant kill chance, but no, it just does buttfuck amounts of damage.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Leavemywife posted:

Yeah, RE2 doesn't really have bullshit instant kills. I think the Ivies have one?

The two things that gently caress me up during no save runs are the Birkin fight outside the tram and these fuckin plant bitches

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Looking on YouTube a bit, I found there's a ton of cutscenes for Jill's campaign that I didn't get. There's one where he's out by Forrest's body, and another where you can hear him talking to Wesker in the guardhouse. Is there a guide on what you have to do to get those scenes, or is it random?

Also (and this may be a stupid question), but is there a reason why the game asks you if you want to discard a key once you've unlocked everything you can with it? Best to my knowledge, there's no reason to keep keys, and hanging onto them takes up an inventory slot. The only reason I can think of is that they didn't want to just automatically dispose of it once it unlocked everything, since the player might miss the message, and wonder if they had lost the key somehow.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The partner scenes in RE1 are based on the order in which you do stuff in the mansion. So, if you get the "Jill Sandwich" scene, Barry won't also show up to give you free acid rounds. I forget which scenes cancel out others because I think they switched a few around in the REmake, and my memories of all the different versions of RE1 get jumbled up in my head.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Crowetron posted:

The partner scenes in RE1 are based on the order in which you do stuff in the mansion. So, if you get the "Jill Sandwich" scene, Barry won't also show up to give you free acid rounds. I forget which scenes cancel out others because I think they switched a few around in the REmake, and my memories of all the different versions of RE1 get jumbled up in my head.

I think in every test run I did, Barry gave me Acid Rounds every time I did the 'Jill Sandwich' scene (or at least on save where I went through that scene). I guess I'll have to try exploring different rooms in a different order to see what happens.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Max Wilco posted:

Also (and this may be a stupid question), but is there a reason why the game asks you if you want to discard a key once you've unlocked everything you can with it? Best to my knowledge, there's no reason to keep keys, and hanging onto them takes up an inventory slot. The only reason I can think of is that they didn't want to just automatically dispose of it once it unlocked everything, since the player might miss the message, and wonder if they had lost the key somehow.

For years as a kid I would swear up and down that there was a room I had seen where you could use a key after the game tells you you can safely discard it and you would get an item but they just want you to know you're done with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

I think in every test run I did, Barry gave me Acid Rounds every time I did the 'Jill Sandwich' scene (or at least on save where I went through that scene). I guess I'll have to try exploring different rooms in a different order to see what happens.

I musta got that mixed up, too. Maybe its the Acid Rounds scene that cancels out the Forrest scene?