Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

Screaming in terror at the live caller episode of the simpsons

The what now?

Oh... Oh god... :stare:. I checked it out for about thirty seconds and sweet jesus this is a clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Annointed posted:

I like Fubuki.
korone the best.

I like that this video has gotten nearly 3 million views already. it's 3 seconds of perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5MpLQ8TQcQ&hd=1

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ghostlight posted:

every streamer video that is at all funny would be way better if they were a talking hamburger.

You say this but it won't be long before we're inundated with a whole expanded family of talking fast food gamers and we're at least five years off from the technology to not make a singing chicken wing playing Doom Eternal look uncanny

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

For the record, I wasn't trying to be smug. I was forced to assume something was dumb and different about Twitch on mobile, which I have basically no experience with whatsoever, because hiding chat on desktop is so ridiculously simple that I can't imagine that somebody legitimately looked for it but couldn't find it.

I'm not even talking about collapsing the chat tab like JordanKai showed. There's a bog standard options gear button under the chat bar that pops open a little menu which includes a button literally labeled "Hide Chat" which will completely stop all chat messages from being sent until you turn it back on. I use it all the time in big streams where it's just an endless scroll of noise and maybe sometimes the streamer responds to 1 message out of thousands.

I was just desperate for someone to offer useful information before we hit 'I can turn off the chat in one click' ' Well I can do it in half an A press territory.

And I hope Hbomberguy starts streaming using a face cam of his uncanny valley CGI face from.the RWBY video.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 14, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nuns with Guns posted:

You say this but it won't be long before we're inundated with a whole expanded family of talking fast food gamers and we're at least five years off from the technology to not make a singing chicken wing playing Doom Eternal look uncanny
why is that a but?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Jimbot posted:

Gives them a safe shroud of anonymity from creepers and stalkers too.

If I streamed enough and was popular enough to have an audience, I'd also probably get FaceRig so that way no one could recognize me.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
new things are bad and it's the children who are wrong

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wear a suit and pull up your pants when you're going to sit in your house playing video games for the internet, have some level of professionalism!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It isn't really mutually contradictory to say that vtubers are weird and off-putting, but also understand that someone would use the facerig to avoid stalkers.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nuns with Guns posted:

You say this but it won't be long before we're inundated with a whole expanded family of talking fast food gamers

You see, the bun?

It's in your mind.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Most Japanese video makers who want to make videos without revealing who they are just put a little picture in the corner and then have them speak with a computer-generated voice with subtitles on the screen. It's an extremely common thing - more common than vtubers which have lately become an industry thing with the largest groups being run by entertainment startups like Ichikara.

The little computer-generated voice things are also pretty fuckin weird and off-putting, but putting subtitles on screen and having the computer voice talk in a completely even keel the whole time makes it so much easier to understand the videos that I can put up with it.

e: eh I said these were "far, far more common" than vtubers, that might be hyperbolic. They are more common though. Also they don't work for streaming so yeah I guess they are pretty different. I'd personally just have no kind of face cam at all, like who cares about seeing me.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 14, 2020

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

I haven't been this engaged by a Youtube video in a long time, agreeing with that the build up to the "twist" is really worth it.

(If you really can't devote a hour then just go to ~a minute before the convenient time marks :v:)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My brother’s job is wrangling the twitch personalities his job sponsors, and it seems like a hell of a thing sometimes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ypOUn6rThM

GMTK video on how including rewards in games can make people overly focus on the rewards.

I'm in two minds about it because while I like a bunch of the games mentioned (Hitman, Zachtronics) some other popular open-ended things don't interest me at all (Minecraft) or have only been appealing because of what direction they do have (Subnautica).

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Captain Invictus posted:

korone the best.

This, except Marine Houshou.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

mycot posted:

I haven't been this engaged by a Youtube video in a long time, agreeing with that the build up to the "twist" is really worth it.

(If you really can't devote a hour then just go to ~a minute before the convenient time marks :v:)

I really liked the twist because for the first half I was thinking "oh hey a bunch of this applies to Qanon, that's interesting and useful" and then bam.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

mycot posted:

also I didn't comment it earlier but loving hell Dan's cinematography is off the loving charts here

the shots around the lake and how the editing helps bringing out those to build the video's argument is so well drat put together that is just [chef kiss]

I remembered something that a friend of mine who went to study cinema at university told me: good moviemaking is like great football, even if you do not know jack poo poo about it, it is obvious when it is happening, especially if you end up disregarding the length of the movie in question. I think it is great that there are people commenting about how they took it all in one go and didn't notice, makes more likely to have more of those from Dan in the future :)

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Funny, you guys have started talking about Vtubers and it's now all over my Twitter feed because Pokimane has a vtuber avatar for no cam streams now and accusations of bandwagon jumping are getting thrown about everywhere, other big Twitch folk could be doing the same thing. Sure won't be fringe anymore if that was the case.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kim Justice posted:

Funny, you guys have started talking about Vtubers and it's now all over my Twitter feed because Pokimane has a vtuber avatar for no cam streams now and accusations of bandwagon jumping are getting thrown about everywhere, other big Twitch folk could be doing the same thing. Sure won't be fringe anymore if that was the case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdDhFQLSZ5s&hd=1

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/steakbentley/status/1305205923112198145

This is extremely relevant to this thread.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that is incredible

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

every streamer video that is at all funny would be way better if they were a talking hamburger.

Mayor McCheese for LP

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Srice posted:

After a lot of trials and tribulations getting in the way, Tim Rogers has finally put out his video on Doom. It's 3.5 hours long and is no doubt good as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38zduHkwGcc

it just keeps going!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Harrow posted:

I realize it's not going to be for everyone but I really enjoy the way Tim Rogers uses game reviews as a jumping-off point for really affecting personal essays. This video is indeed good as hell.

Yeah! I first got in to watching his videos because I found them to be pretty smart and funny but I think that aspect of them is the real secret sauce, so to speak.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kim Justice posted:

I think my biggest takeaway is that virtual avatars make it so women don't have to dress up and "look nice" to play video games online. It's much easier to just jump out of bed, clip your hair up, and hit the switch on FaceRig.

There should probably be an established distinction at this point, though. Virtual YouTubers (VTubers) are characters. They might represent the person behind the camera in a lot of ways; above all, though, they're basically a brand, and a lot of VTubers, both independent and corporate, put a lot of work into separating their online and offline personas, with the latter usually being unknown for the entirety of their streaming career. A public figure with their own Wikipedia entry adopting the term "VTuber" for themselves without following the standards previously set for VTubers is what's causing the shakeup. The timing is also really interesting, as Hololive just debuted their English-focused generation of characters, and that definitely feels like a bandwagon jump for search analytics.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I do think it's kinda funny though that we discuss vtubers as some new phenomenon, when that's only true for streamers. It's just when people did it with edited videos it was a fursona with maybe 6 poses rather than an anime girl with facial rigging. I hope you will agree that this is a massive improvement.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It's only a matter of time until Rationalism Bear is rigged up, then he can replace Shaun's skull.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Terrible Opinions posted:

I do think it's kinda funny though that we discuss vtubers as some new phenomenon, when that's only true for streamers. It's just when people did it with edited videos it was a fursona with maybe 6 poses rather than an anime girl with facial rigging. I hope you will agree that this is a massive improvement.

Annoying Orange has been around since 2009.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dr Disrespect is a vtuber.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Metal Gear Solid is a Metroidvania.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

all streamers with cams are vtubers, for how can they be real when our eyes aren't real

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The usual suspects are starting to roll out in Dan's comments,

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1305194300678893569

"My life consists of working with in the intelligence community and deciding what people like you are capable of understanding."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I didn't see that as a "twist" in Dan's video because that's how all conspiracy thinking works. Though I guess it is a twist if you aren't brokebrained like me and haven't been following that kinda poo poo for decades. I know pretty much every bit of minutiae about 9/11 because I was active in the debunking/skeptic community after years of reading about garbage like JFK conspiracy theories. Jim Jefferies had Q people on his show a couple years or so back and asked them about flat Earth and several said yeah but argued over it.

It's super frustrating reading about this poo poo because these people are immune to proof. I remember right after 9/11 there was a slick flash animation about how a missile hit the Pentagon and not a jumbo jet. My friend and I kinda bought into it for a second until we googled its claims and it was obviously bullshit. But if you don't have that mindset you're gonna be won over by absolutely phony garbage because you want to.

poo poo even "mainstream" conservatives/Republicans are steeped in this rejection of reality (climate change being the most obvious example).

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 14, 2020

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Takoluka posted:

I think my biggest takeaway is that virtual avatars make it so women don't have to dress up and "look nice" to play video games online. It's much easier to just jump out of bed, clip your hair up, and hit the switch on FaceRig.

There should probably be an established distinction at this point, though. Virtual YouTubers (VTubers) are characters. They might represent the person behind the camera in a lot of ways; above all, though, they're basically a brand, and a lot of VTubers, both independent and corporate, put a lot of work into separating their online and offline personas, with the latter usually being unknown for the entirety of their streaming career. A public figure with their own Wikipedia entry adopting the term "VTuber" for themselves without following the standards previously set for VTubers is what's causing the shakeup. The timing is also really interesting, as Hololive just debuted their English-focused generation of characters, and that definitely feels like a bandwagon jump for search analytics.

A virtual avatar + character/persona creates a slightly harder boundary between performer and performance for a streamer (and this is really interesting, I could go on about this for a while). An already established minor internet-famous public figure adopting a virtual avatar and continuing to be themselves doesn't have the same effect, yes.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Takoluka posted:

It's actually more of a survival horror (which to be fair is just too down metroidvania if you are super reductionist) and moving away from that structure with 3-4 onwards made the games worse. In addition to Kojima just getting away without oversight.

:goonsay:

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Takoluka posted:

Pokémon is a metroidvania

Early Pokémon, at least.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Solar Tornado posted:

Pokémon is a metroidvania

Early Pokémon, at least.

I smell an alignnent chart coming on.

Structure Purism: Is a Metroidvania a 2D platformer, or any instance of needing to use tools to access new areas?
Genre Purism: Is it a sci-fi, or is it any situation?

Naturally, the total anarchy option is that losing your keys and needing to find them is a Metroidvania

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Ghostlight posted:

Someone needs to write a plugin that FaceRigs all youtube videos live, ideally saving setting for each channel so you can have your favorite hamburger or alien for your favorite YouTuber. Political talks would get so much better.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Dawgstar posted:

I always wonder about the streamers, especially the female ones, who just Twitch stream basically their entire day. One got a lot of heat a while back because it came out she was married or at least people thought she was, which meant she could then not be somebody's Internet Girlfriend. And even on regular streams I've seen people get verklempt because the streamer did not pay what the person donating however much paid what they felt was proper due praise (sometimes because it came when the streamer was busy playing a game or whatever).

On the subject of female streamers, I had gotten the impression from other parts of the internet that ~~~TITTY STREAMERS~~~ had taken over Twitch. But, based on a Google news search and this list of the top 100 streamers, here were the only women on it:

#7 - pokimane
#49 - Loserfruit
#62 - Amouranth
#93 - lilypichu
#96 - AriGameplays

That fifth account doesn't even seem to exist anymore? Of the four active examples I see, the only one who looks like she plays into that stereotype is Amouranth. Like, I thought that it was probably a misogynistic narrative in the first place, but I also thought that there would be more evidence for it than this.

Speaking of that top 100 list, I was surprised I didn't recognize more of the names. I had seen Ninja, Dr. Disrespect, xQc, Bob Ross (lol), and Markiplier before from other things, and I had seen the names Tfue, Tyler1, and Faker before from news articles, but who are all of these people? My guess is that they're Fortnite/Minecraft/League of Legends people, since I know those are all huge and I'm in the dark on them. Kind of disappointed not to see more Overwatch personalities in there than loving xQc, ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

one day justaminx will be number one