Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Suuuuuper aggro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
That was a lot of words about how serious Xcom and a partial-conversion mod for Xcom are.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
glad to know that coolguye is even more of a loser than I thought he was

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Lol to be so invested in a game let alone a mod. And to self impose a bullshit requirement that is dumb as hell and so arbitrary. Like, what you think anyone gives a poo poo about YOU NOW NEED TO PLAY CHESS YP SAY ANYTHING IN THIS THREAD! IM NOT A MOD JUST DO IT.

Literally just shoot me if I ever get my head stuck that far into my own rear end.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Long War mod caused a lot of drama and constant slapfights over literal years in the xcom thread and coolguye had a stress breakdown over it at some point. I think he had the mindset of managing a Let's Play thread as opposed to just being the OP of a regular Games thread and was used to getting more hands-on support and backup from mods in the way they do over on LP. When really, it would've been better for him to just wash his hands of the stuff and peace out because, frankly, the Long War mod discourse was incredibly loving unbearable. Guess he still held a grudge about that.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Jippa posted:

I like how he capitalises XCOM and DM but not the first letters of sentences. Definitely makes the wall of text enjoyable and easy to read.

I gotta admit, it's a rare occasion that I look at a wall'o'text post and literally think "nope, tl;dr", but that one got me. Also because I dont know wtf XCOM is, so I was lost from the get-go.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I gotta admit, it's a rare occasion that I look at a wall'o'text post and literally think "nope, tl;dr", but that one got me. Also because I dont know wtf XCOM is, so I was lost from the get-go.

It’s gonna blow your mind when I tell you it is a sci-fi video game I’m sure

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Coolguy is insane and really does think China is stealing your information if you use EGS

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It came way more recently but one time coolguy got mad at me for saying theres no objectively best class in XCOM 2 and after posting several novels that I refused to read, tried to get me to settle it "the usual way". I never knew what that meant until now :hmbol:

He also confused me for being someone who rips on him all the time, which if you're at a point where people rip on you so constantly you cant tell them apart, maybe you should post better

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Danaru posted:

It came way more recently but one time coolguy got mad at me for saying theres no objectively best class in XCOM 2 and after posting several novels that I refused to read, tried to get me to settle it "the usual way". I never knew what that meant until now :hmbol:

He also confused me for being someone who rips on him all the time, which if you're at a point where people rip on you so constantly you cant tell them apart, maybe you should post better

precision apparently spend years thinking i was two separate posters, simultaneously, both of whom he'd (incorrectly) doxxed

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Remember when some offsite doxxed FAU’s nonexistent dog and outed ZDR as the goatman?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Xarbala posted:

The Long War mod caused a lot of drama and constant slapfights over literal years in the xcom thread and coolguye had a stress breakdown over it at some point. I think he had the mindset of managing a Let's Play thread as opposed to just being the OP of a regular Games thread and was used to getting more hands-on support and backup from mods in the way they do over on LP. When really, it would've been better for him to just wash his hands of the stuff and peace out because, frankly, the Long War mod discourse was incredibly loving unbearable. Guess he still held a grudge about that.

He’s still having it

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

outed ZDR as the goatman?

we WISH we had such a celebrity in our midst

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.
Would someone tell the tale of permabanned poster SlurStomper?

Although I admit no one tells it like the stomper himself

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I really appreciate how posters “byzantine” and “coronavirus” can be hilarious making normal comments on certain things by virtue of their usernames

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Is there a mirror of The Tale of Smith floating around somewhere? All the original images are lost from the Goldmine.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Is there a mirror of The Tale of Smith floating around somewhere? All the original images are lost from the Goldmine.

Yep!

Here you go:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050806001155/http://xyhapu.fuckyouanddie.com/smith.html

It’s slow as hell but it’s there at least.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The XCOM and XCOM 2 threads really did get terrible at times, so I understand being frustrated over a perceived lack of mod response to that, but goddamn coolguye needs to cool off. If I were in his position I woulda just stopped engaging with the threads.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Treating any regular rear end Games thread as your baby is categorically insane and beautifully hilarious

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's been all day and I still havent managed to get over "mods are useless for not dropping everything to set up, referee, and enforce chess games in my thread, so instead I just poo poo it up so hard everyone stopped posting for a while. This is a victory"

Like god drat I'm not creative enough to come up with that as a joke, and here it was with 100% sincerity I just cant deal with it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Danaru posted:

It's been all day and I still havent managed to get over "mods are useless for not dropping everything to set up, referee, and enforce chess games in my thread, so instead I just poo poo it up so hard everyone stopped posting for a while. This is a victory"

Like god drat I'm not creative enough to come up with that as a joke, and here it was with 100% sincerity I just cant deal with it

Kinda sounds like the right wing government strategy right now.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Speaking of chess...

quote:

A better analogy would be if someone walks into a championship tournament, says "GEE I THINK I MAY HAVE TRANSCENDED THE UNDERSTANDING OF SOME OF YOU GRANDMASTERS HERE, WANT TO JOIN MY NEW SCHOOL OF CHESS STRATEGY?", then loses by scholar's mate twice in the first round.

This person then refuses to leave his seat, claiming that he needs additional proof that the queen in f7 actually ontologically exists before he will admit defeat, and that the rules of the CHESS ESTABLISHMENT were unfairly biased against him by disallowing the possibility of his king being able to leapfrog pieces.

Then he pulls out an ancient shopping list from 1905 and claims that "1. Eggs" means 'The King', "2. Butter" means 'can', and "3. Milk" means 'leapfrog'. This is admissible evidence for his case because he has lived according to the dictates of this list since he was a teenager, and it has drastically improved his quality of life. When the referees tell him that this makes no loving sense, he drags them into a three hour debate over the precise meaning of the words 'makes', 'no', 'loving', and 'sense'.

When people point out that there is more than enough evidence to suggest his list is just a scrap of paper from some long-dead housewife's purse, he rather proudly points out how close-minded they are in dismissing outright the possibility that the list was in fact a secret coded message on the best way to live life, originally formulated by Atlanteans and passed down through the ages disguised as everyday documents. After all, if one starts with the presupposition that such a document exists, then it would be very fair to argue that it is indeed in the form of his shopping list.

Never mind that his previous interpretations of the list led to three convictions and time served for robbery, hate crimes, and murder. These were just unfortunate misinterpretations on his part of the list's true intentions, he says. The list itself is blameless. In fact, the Atlanteans deliberately obfuscated the true meaning of the list in this way, so that it would require multiple failed misinterpretations before one would happen across its TRUE meaning, and in doing so appreciate it all the more.

In fact, he does have some evidence to back up his claims. Why, just last week during his daily meditation on the list, he felt it telling him that something good was about to happen in his future. And yesterday, wouldn't you know it, he found a twenty dollar note on the sidewalk! Evidence of the list's prophetic powers if I ever saw one. And believe him, he has many more stories where that came from.

By now, the debate has splintered off into innumerable tangents, with the one man against literally every other player and referee present at the tournament. Finally, he graciously accepts the possibility of defeat in some of the myriad topics now being covered. OK, maybe the tallest player doesn't always get to go first. Fine, I will concede that there isn't much evidence to support my third-invisible-knight hypothesis. But that's all irrelevant. What he wants to concentrate on, and what nobody has yet been able to disprove, he adds, is the ability of the king to leapfrog over other pieces.

The argument drags on for weeks. Finally, one afternoon, the beet-faced referee exhausts his last reserves of decency and throws his arms up in frustration and despair. "YOU loving RETARD, HOW CAN YOU LAY CLAIM TO KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT CHESS STRATEGY WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN GRASP THE MOST BASIC RULES!?" He shouts, just as a new entrant walks through the door. "I'm sorry," replies the man calmly, "I simply cannot discuss the rules of chess with such an 'official' if you insist on using such strong and uncouth language. Please retract your insults or I will be forced to plug my ears whenever you say anything from now on."

Seeing only this last exchange, the new entrant pipes up. "He's right, you know. If he did something wrong, then you as the referee have every right to tell him he is so, but it should be done with a patient and thorough explanation of the details of his error. Hurling ridicule at him solves nothing and won't change anyone's mind."

The lazy eye of the retarded List-following, King-leapfrogging man twitches almost unnoticeably, as he cranes his head towards the source of this new voice. A welcoming smile cracks, inch by beaming inch, across his face. He licks his lips. He clears his throat.

"So glad to know decent people like you still value a polite discussion. Care for a game?"

Can't even remember who it was aimed at, but this is an all time classic for why it's pointless to engage a bad faith poster.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I had to seriously read it in several small chunks but it's worth it, like the view from atop Everest (before it got choked by litter and rich tourists waiting their turn).

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

Speaking of chess...

Can't even remember who it was aimed at, but this is an all time classic for why it's pointless to engage a bad faith poster.

I think his name was Victor, and he wasn't so much a bad faith poster as just genuinely deranged and incredibly dense

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Len posted:

Coolguy is insane and really does think China is stealing your information if you use EGS

It really sucks when this thread becomes posts like this about active, still around posters, to try to harass them to make responses. It's another reason I think active drama shouldn't really be repeated here.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

pentyne posted:

Speaking of chess...

lol

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Beamed posted:

It really sucks when this thread becomes posts like this about active, still around posters, to try to harass them to make responses. It's another reason I think active drama shouldn't really be repeated here.

Coolguy complains about me in his post so it's fine

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Crane Fist posted:

I think his name was Victor, and he wasn't so much a bad faith poster as just genuinely deranged and incredibly dense

I thought it was that one poster who tried to make EVERYTHING about gun rights?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crane Fist posted:

He was also a biblical literalist, and spent pages and pages trying to argue that Noah's arc was real and there wouldn't be issues with housing so many animals because instead of having two black bears, two grizzlies, two polar bears, you could have a proto-bear that would then rapidly evolve into every extant species of bear after the flood.

E:

Samovar posted:

I thought it was that one poster who tried to make EVERYTHING about gun rights?

LeJackle? I think he's still around.

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Sep 14, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
feel like i'm falling through some kind of time portal because i haven't thought about Victor the poster in like ten years and wow, now i'm remembering what a dumb piece of poo poo that dude was

really one of the natural consequences of the effortpost era of d&d, folks with some wild belief systems but who could bang out pages of well formatted arguments got a lot more traction before they got smoked out and shunned

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

luxury handset posted:

feel like i'm falling through some kind of time portal because i haven't thought about Victor the poster in like ten years and wow, now i'm remembering what a dumb piece of poo poo that dude was

really one of the natural consequences of the effortpost era of d&d, folks with some wild belief systems but who could bang out pages of well formatted arguments got a lot more traction before they got smoked out and shunned

Kinda wild to think of the current politics of the general forum and realize that old d&d (2006-7, i think?) was full of genuine Ron Paul lovin' Ben Shapiro prototypes. I think i say this in every version of the sagas thread, but its pretty amazing how much Helldump and LF changed the forum, and a big part of it was giving people a space to call out Debate Club Libertarian Contrarians as bigoted assholes. Specifically, a space where they weren't governed by debate club style rules and modded by other Debate Club Libertarians.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

luxury handset posted:

I vaguely remember some dude with checkerboard hair who designed an entire philosophical system that only made sense to him, who spent pages arguing about it's validity in dnd.

Was it the "imagine a marble" copy paste origin? I mostly remember a series of spheres with some meaning attached.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Famethrowa posted:

I vaguely remember some dude with checkerboard hair who designed an entire philosophical system that only made sense to him, who spent pages arguing about it's validity in dnd.

Was it the "imagine a marble" copy paste origin? I mostly remember a series of spheres with some meaning attached.

Eripsa? Man, I haven't thought about him in forever.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Eripsa? Man, I haven't thought about him in forever.

I think so? Some people were able to glean some meaning after questioning him, but it was some advanced brain force stuff.

Which, to be honest, plenty of philosophy was written by people whose brains just... worked on a different plane then the rest of society. The main difference was that they were able to explain it well.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I had to seriously read it in several small chunks but it's worth it, like the view from atop Everest (before it got choked by litter and rich tourists waiting their turn).

There's always K2 (second highest) or Annapurna (fewest ascents, most lethal)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

luxury handset posted:

That was the "Everything is Christianity!" poster, right?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Famethrowa posted:

you may be talking about eripsa, a philosopher who has a really tough time getting anyone to agree with his ideas

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462638

it's not so much that his ideas are bad, so much as they are critically flawed and he's not really able to explain around any of the holes goons identify in his pet theory, and this becomes a point of contention because he doesn't really have another pet theory on deck so it's like goons just pissing on his life's work

eripsa is a real phd big brain who is lecturing in universities, so i don't know how much of his problem was not being able to explain his ideas but rather not knowing when to stop explaining his ideas once they were dismissed by the goon majority

biracial bear for uncut posted:

i think so, victor was the only real sincere turbochristian apologist posting in d&d at that time. like there were and are plenty of people on the forums who make arguments based in christian theology but victor was a different level, like the above mentioned believing literally in the existence of noah's ark

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Sep 14, 2020

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Either him or the "God is Logos and Logos is everything" poster, who is still active on the forums but got a name change and I can't remember what it is.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

luxury handset posted:

you may be talking about eripsa, a philosopher who has a really tough time getting anyone to agree with his ideas

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462638

it's not so much that his ideas are bad, so much as they are critically flawed and he's not really able to explain around any of the holes goons identify in his pet theory, and this becomes a point of contention because he doesn't really have another pet theory on deck so it's like goons just pissing on his life's work

eripsa is a real phd big brain who is lecturing in universities, so i don't know how much of his problem was not being able to explain his ideas but rather not knowing when to stop explaining his ideas once they were dismissed by the goon majority

Whoa yeah that's it. I'll think I'll take another crack at it after an intervening 8 years of life experience. To think I was just out of high school at the time.

e. I was specifically referring to this thread I think https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804685&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Famethrowa has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Sep 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

luxury handset posted:

eripsa is a real phd big brain who is lecturing in universities,

This is an incredibly generous description of his job. He's a adjunct lecturer at a minor institute of technology, which is basically the lowest rung of the academic ladder that isn't perpetual grad student hell.