Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Just stickers left. This kit is rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As someone who recently got a pair of those, I can confirm they're what you want. You'll also want a regular pair of angled nippers as well, as GodHands are only for the narrower sprues and not the chunky ones you get holding some parts to the runner.

I find these despruing tweezers to be helpful too, they take the place of angle nippers for all but the beefiest sprues for me: https://www.micromark.com/Tweezer-Sprue-Cutter-Despruing-Tweezer

Those plus god hands are a pretty great combo. I think Bimmi put me onto them several years ago.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

ANAmal.net posted:

EDIT2: Sorry to keep updating this post, but HLJ has the wretched thing in stock and for twelve bucks it's time to put my money where my mouth is and give this bad boy another go.

Oh hey, it's a post from almost two years ago, but I finally did the drat thing:

Vallejo paints and citadel washes, plus a mess of leftover RG stickers. Still gotta do the GP03s itself, but the mobile armor part is done.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 11, 2020

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

RG Sazabi done and all stickered up. Love this big boy.

The Char shelf begins...

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

ANAmal.net posted:

Oh hey, it's a post from almost two years ago, but I finally did the drat thing:

Vallejo paints and citadel washes, plus a mess of leftover RG stickers. Still gotta do the GP03s itself, but the mobile armor part is done.

I might, uhhhhh.... Have it's big brother on the way.

That being said, I'm having issues finding decent decal sources. I need big "EFSF", big Numerals, big generic warnings, etc. No need for them to be specific to GP03. I've found a few Chinese vendors on eBay, but I've had sketchy experiences with them in the past, which have ended in me tossing painted kits in my kitbashing junk box (including a loving Ex-S).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Xaerael posted:

That being said, I'm having issues finding decent decal sources. I need big "EFSF", big Numerals, big generic warnings, etc. No need for them to be specific to GP03. I've found a few Chinese vendors on eBay, but I've had sketchy experiences with them in the past, which have ended in me tossing painted kits in my kitbashing junk box (including a loving Ex-S).

Here's a 1:144 one for the Zephyranthes (On closer look, it looks like this is for the Dendrobium even though it claims it's for the Zephyranthes)
Here's a 1:100 one for 0083 kits that'll have somewhat bigger EFSF logos on it, but it's half Zeon

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 12, 2020

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

They look great! I'm not keen on going super-graphic-y like some people do. Probably going to do a bunch of masking/panel based colour separation.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Apparently this showed up on P-Bandai yesterday and sold out immediately:

https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2547490001001

I don’t even think I got an email about it beforehand, which kinda sucks.

Edit: I don’t even think it showed up in their social feeds. I only saw it because of a Facebook ad that went up after it was already sold out lol

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

I wish they would do some box sets of just little stuff like in that set. just like, maint pods, engineers doing stuff, crates, trolleys, etc. Tamiya are amazing at it for their military kits, you can literally get boxes of nothing but 1/35 tank shells, or generic stuff like tables and chairs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slanderer posted:

Edit: I don’t even think it showed up in their social feeds. I only saw it because of a Facebook ad that went up after it was already sold out lol

Oh man that’s like 1/3 of the whole setup for the monster Nu in hangar bay that came out a while back. It’s like 4 feet tall and you had to buy the fin funnels separately. Looks gorgeous but it was like 1500 bucks for the whole thing.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Slanderer posted:

They only do tweets for the metal structure nu accessories, they did the same thing for the funnels on the bluefin site a few weeks ago.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Booourns posted:

We are now one step away from an HG Virgo

I am surprised they haven't done it and Taurus yet, they both have alternate colors for P-Bandai

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
just now noticing how much the graze schwalbe design cues echo the vayeate

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ibblebibble posted:

Just stickers left. This kit is rad.

Even the HG kit is impressive and fun to build, that's one good looking MS.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

just now noticing how much the graze schwalbe design cues echo the vayeate

I mean, the horns are similar, as are the colors, but the thruster locations are different, and there's none of the Fujin influences from Vayeate.

Feels like it could be coincidental, basically.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, the horns are similar, as are the colors, but the thruster locations are different, and there's none of the Fujin influences from Vayeate.

Feels like it could be coincidental, basically.

Fair. I'm focusing on the horn, pronounced outer quads, and crotch thruster, at least compared to their vanilla counterparts.

Still there's a Graze Mercurius + Vayeate custom project in my brain now :getin:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finished up the arms on my MG Zaku II 2.0, putting me at the halfway point. I come bearing pictures.

Mr. Zaku awakens to his horrible half existence.

Also, Baby's First Dry Rub Decal (Is there something I should coat over the decal?)

I am really enjoying this kit so far and it feels very modern for a decade old kit the most part, other than the polycaps.

That being said, looking ahead I am not looking forward to those leg hoses.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Part one of Schizophonic9's MGEX Unicorn Gundam pictoral is up.

http://schizophonic9.com/re6/mgex_unicorn1.html

At the very least, they finally gave it proper knee joints.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
The Sazabi felt like a pseudo-foray into MG kits based on its sheer size, and Nu-Gundam helped bring up my confidence a bit. Does anybody have hands-on experience with the MG Fenex kit? Looking at the runners it doesn't have a lot of undergating so I'm a bit concerned about nub marks.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Just Dan Again posted:

The Sazabi felt like a pseudo-foray into MG kits based on its sheer size, and Nu-Gundam helped bring up my confidence a bit. Does anybody have hands-on experience with the MG Fenex kit? Looking at the runners it doesn't have a lot of undergating so I'm a bit concerned about nub marks.

It's a nub mark nightmare. Nothing is undergated.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Just Dan Again posted:

I advise against the MG Unicorn and its derivatives if you’re just starting MGs plus it’s a plated kit that’s hardly undergated so it will look kind of bad and will cost a premium. If you’re a big Fenix fan it will be more appealing; otherwise is there anything else that catches your eye?

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
My other plan had been to get a Wing Custom and an Epyon and a pair of action bases to have them squaring off, and that whole setup would probably be cheaper than the Fenix on its own. I think some small part of me was crying for help before I spent wayyy too much on a single kit just because it's gold.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Just Dan Again posted:

My other plan had been to get a Wing Custom and an Epyon and a pair of action bases to have them squaring off, and that whole setup would probably be cheaper than the Fenix on its own. I think some small part of me was crying for help before I spent wayyy too much on a single kit just because it's gold.

The currently available Wing Zero Custom MG (the one with angel wings) is ancient but the upcoming Ver Ka would probably be a good choice. MG Epyon is also okay. MG Proto Zero (the TV Zero) is fairly recent too.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Just Dan Again posted:

The MG Phenax is AWFUL. It has very little undergating, meaning a ton of touch-ups, the plating makes it a statue that disintergrates if you even try to pose it, and the decal sheet is worthless because it's waterslides that you can't use unless you're OK potentially wrecking the look of the plating with lacquer. It also requires propping up because it has pretty floppy limbs, and the double shields make it grossly back heavy.

Don't get me wrong, it looks great! But it was a frustrating build, fraught with issues that persist after building.

If you want a cool gold MG, get the fantastic Hyaku Shiki 2.0. Brilliant, poseable, and comes with dry rub decals.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Let's say I wanted to find a gunpla or other plamo kit to saw in half in order to make Buster Machine 1 and its shoulders. What would be a good candidate? Local shop has a few Val Walos which are as close as I can think currently.

It's important that the nose splits completely in half and has a decent amount of body when it becomes the shoulders

With the Aun RIZE armor coming up I've been toying with the idea of making an Alus Gunbuster.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm not a big fan of the infintism mazinger or greater mazinger but there's something about the Mazinkaiser and the Getter Dragon that makes that style work for me. I'd love a shin getter as well.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Zodack posted:

Let's say I wanted to find a gunpla or other plamo kit to saw in half in order to make Buster Machine 1 and its shoulders. What would be a good candidate? Local shop has a few Val Walos which are as close as I can think currently.

It's important that the nose splits completely in half and has a decent amount of body when it becomes the shoulders

With the Aun RIZE armor coming up I've been toying with the idea of making an Alus Gunbuster.

The Arios Gundam? It has big spike shoulders that come together when it transforms.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Zodack posted:

Depending on your target scale, Quebely's shoulders might do the trick. Bit of fixing and filling, though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Does anyone have strong opinions on the RG RX-78-2? I know it's the very first one so probably have a bunch of teething pains but hey, gotta have an RX-78.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The RG RX-78-2 is a mess of a kit, any of the recent HGs would be a better option if you're after 1/144 scale.

As a general rule of thumb any RG before (or using a base from before) the Unicorn is going to end up a floppy, fragile mess once it's been posed a few times.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 16, 2020

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Ibblebibble posted:

Does anyone have strong opinions on the RG RX-78-2? I know it's the very first one so probably have a bunch of teething pains but hey, gotta have an RX-78.

I thought it was fine. Granted I've only done two RGs and that was the first, plus I only posed it once and left it that way.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah I'm more of a pose-once kinda guy. Will think about it then.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

It doesn't live up to modern RG standards but as long as you're gentle with it it's still an amazing looking model.

I've built every RG except Build Strike and the only real stinker is the Sinanju but even then, it's still the best looking Sinanju straight out of the box so I'm willing to forgive it.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 16, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you want the rg gundam there's gonna be a regular release set with it and the rg zeong once that comes out, where its basically just the cost of them both put together. not sure if you care at all about the rg zeong but its info

also, remind me to be more careful next time i paint. i havent painted in ages but i still had some laying around and i got a g-exes for like 7 bucks on clearance so i decided to paint it up a bit and woo boy i had to spend a good half hour cleaning up the desk/my hands/my pants after.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
So, just finished my MG Unicorn, non Ver. Ka and the assembly itself was really fun. Unfortunately its legs dangle around like those if a rag doll when lifted. It stands fine on its own, but I want to put it on base. What’s the best or better easiest solution to fix that problem?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

So, just finished my MG Unicorn, non Ver. Ka and the assembly itself was really fun. Unfortunately its legs dangle around like those if a rag doll when lifted. It stands fine on its own, but I want to put it on base. What’s the best or better easiest solution to fix that problem?

Clear nail polish on the leg pegs, then slip the legs on when it dries. The joint should be a little tighter due to the nail polish.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Endorph posted:

also, remind me to be more careful next time i paint. i havent painted in ages but i still had some laying around and i got a g-exes for like 7 bucks on clearance so i decided to paint it up a bit and woo boy i had to spend a good half hour cleaning up the desk/my hands/my pants after.

You know what's great when your hand painting? Puppy training pads. Super absorbant and they cover a large area for any spills and what not.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Midjack posted:

Clear nail polish on the leg pegs, then slip the legs on when it dries. The joint should be a little tighter due to the nail polish.

Thanks, I will give that a try! :tipshat:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Biggest kit I've tackled so far arrives tomorrow.

I may also have accidentally ordered a Penelope, too. Seemed like fun, if only for confusing people when you tell them the main Oddy suit is a 1/144.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
What color markers should I get for panel lining? Right now I have a The Origin Gundam and Char's Zaku II, an HG Wing Zero, an HG Leo, and an RG Eva Unit 01.