Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/tonyfergusonxt/status/1305380959659855872?s=21

man how bad are they lowballing poor DP. when even the guy's potential opponent thinks he deserves more, you know dana's being a dick

https://twitter.com/DustinPoirier/status/1305485992552550400?s=19

i wanna see the Odd Couple sitcom dynamic these 2 clearly have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
How did spectators here feel about the decision of Hill/Watterson? I didn't see the fight, but I saw the striking totals by rounds. That and the damage on the two fighters make me surprised that Hill lost, but obviously there's more that goes into it

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

General consensus was Waterson was definitely more effective the last 3 rounds, earning her the win (even tho almost all of us rooted for angie) and even though we knew angie lost, the one judge who scored it 49-46 waterson was pretttttttttty suspect since rd1 & 2 were decisively for Hill

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

nordichammer posted:

How did spectators here feel about the decision of Hill/Watterson? I didn't see the fight, but I saw the striking totals by rounds. That and the damage on the two fighters make me surprised that Hill lost, but obviously there's more that goes into it

the striking totals are done by Some Guy who clicks a button when he thinks something landed, and clicks another button when he thinks it's significant. they are very unreliable in competitive fights.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
https://twitter.com/smoogymma/status/1305236713707655168

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

nordichammer posted:

It was clearly 2-2 going into the 5th and the last round was a coin toss, you can make the argument that Angie won it with that last flurry but I certainly didn't think it was a robbery

But yeah gently caress whoever it was that had it Waterson 49-46

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

:capitalism:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

chaleski posted:

It was clearly 2-2 going into the 5th and the last round was a coin toss, you can make the argument that Angie won it with that last flurry but I certainly didn't think it was a robbery

But yeah gently caress whoever it was that had it Waterson 49-46

Angie pushed it with that last flurry and then Michelle started yelling Power Word: Karate everytime she threw a kick, and I guess that was the decider.

And yeah, gently caress Sal D'Amato, but we all knew that already.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lazy breakdown for this weekend's card Fight Night Woodley vs Covington

Main Card
Colby Covington vs Tyron Woodley - holy poo poo gross. This fight needs to happen, I suppose that it needs to be a main event given that it's a former champ vs a former interim champ but augh dangit. The story of Covington being a fascist idiot vs Woodley being an outspoken black man is ok I guess, because the best case scenario sees Covington getting his head caved in by a vintage Woodley performance, but know what I'd rather see than that? Covington getting injured in training and never fighting again and being left out to dry through a medical bankruptcy at the hands of the unjust system that he so aggressively supports. The sad reality is that Woodley is probably shot and we're going to watch Colby hug and pitterpat jab for 5 rounds and declare fight of the year. gently caress Colby Covington. Like, I mean, as the goon saying goes gently caress Tyron Woodley, but especially gently caress Colby Covington.

:frogsiren: Donald Cerrone vs Niko Pryce - Now we're talking. These are two pure action fighters and Nico is known for weird finishes. Cerrone is probably shot given his ridiculous fight mileage on his body, and Price is not a small welterweight, so Pryce probably takes this.

Khamzat Chimaev vs Gerald Meerschaert - Chimaev has two UFC wins and has absorbed zero strikes. He's the hyperbolic super prospect but keep in mind that his opponents have a combined UFC record of 1-3 going into their fights with Chimaev, so maybe Meerschart is the one to pump the breaks on Khamzat. Meerschart is a good fighter, too. While he is never going to be a title contender his losses are all to high quality fighters, some of whom have main evented or challenged for titles. On top of that Chimaev already has his next fight booked against Demian Maia, so he better be ready for a real fight or else Meerschart may be playing him out of the building :sax:

Johnny Walker vs Ryan Spann - Johnny Walker was another prospect with a lot of hype, but now he's on a two-fight skid. He's fun and likeable and puts violences at people. Ryan Spann is a contender series prospect and LFA alum who is on a pretty good run right now. The bad news for Spann is that his last performance was a split decision over Sam Alvey. This matchup should tell us a few interesting things - was Johnny Walker's spectacular initial run an overachievement? Or was Spann's last performance an underachievement?

Mackenzie Dern vs Randa Markos - Lots of hype trains on this card :toot: Dern is a world-champion BJJ crossover :cake: who has given us some esoteric submission finishes. Markos is the ultimate 115 journeywoman who I met irl once whose career goes back to some long-shot upset wins on the original strawweight TUF. The story here is that Markos has never won nor lost consecutive fights in the UFC, and she's coming off of a loss. She back to back lost to Cortney Casey and beat Carla Esparza :psyduck: This fight honestly could be really boring but it also might have something cool happen.

:frogsiren: Kevin Holland vs Darren Stewart - Kevin Holland is a pretty good prospect, coming from DWTNCS season one. He's coming off of a really awesome KO win just 5 weeks ago. He seems like a cool dude and is fun to watch. Darren Stewart is a classic british kickboxer build. He's not a top-tier fighter but he comes to fight. This will likely be worth watching.

Prelims
Mirsad Bektic vs Luiz Garagorri - Dunno who Garagorri is but Bektic is good and usually fun to watch. He has done a good job of violencing the poo poo out of some dudes more than a few times. Tapology tells me that Garagorri is from Uruguay and 1-1 in the UFC, 13-1 overall. I vaguely remember him. This fight has potential.

Mayra Bueno Silva vs Mara Romero Borella - No idea. Borella has a wikipedia page and was armbarred by Cortney Casey back in May, which I remember. Casey hosed her up pretty good. Silva has a loss to Maryna Moroz and a win over Gillian Robertson. I don't have high hopes for this fight. The loser of this match probably won't get another UFC fight.

Jordan Esinosa vs David Dvorak - No idea. I saw Espinosa's fight against Mark De La Rosa but I don't remember too much about it beyond it being a pretty sure decision. Dvorak has a UFC decision win over someone I don't know either.

Jessica-Rose Clark vs Sarah Alpar - Aussie with face tattoos fights someone I've never heard of. I see that Alpar is a contender series winner. Jessie-Jess is on a skid and may be on her way out. This looks to me like it's a set up for Alpar to get a win and some momentum.

Journey Newson vs Randy Costa - I remember Newson's name but no idea otherwise. Newson won by a KO on the Jones-Reyes card but then failed a drug test so there's that. Costa beat Boston Salmon.

Andre Ewell vs Irwin Rivera - I remember Ewell's name but he looks to me to be an underwhelming also-ran Bantamweight. Irwin Rivera is the guy who lost to Giga as a super late replacement but seemed game in the process. Could be good I guess.

:frogsiren: Darrick Minner vs TJ Laramie - The curtain jerker has some value. TJ Laramie is a DWTNCS young prospect who I'll describe as the Canadian John Lineker and who in my mind looks more like a future champion (relative to his career phase) than Chimaev does. Darrick Minner is a journeyman whose best win is over Clay Collard. :black101:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I’m actually excited about Saturday’s card, which I haven’t been able to say in a while.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Very un-lazy, thanks for the effort post. I didn’t realize how solid the card looked.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

CommonShore posted:

Andre Ewell vs Irwin Rivera - I remember Ewell's name but he looks to me to be an underwhelming also-ran Bantamweight. Irwin Rivera is the guy who lost to Giga as a super late replacement but seemed game in the process. Could be good I guess.

I mostly remember Ewell being matched up vs Renan Barao during Renan's losing skid. I looked up Ewell's past opponents, and it looked like he was a bit of a can crusher, so I assumed he was being brought in as a guy with a decent record for Barao to get back to his winning ways.

Ewell won that one, but hasn't looked particularly great any other times.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

FishBowlRobot posted:

Very un-lazy, thanks for the effort post. I didn’t realize how solid the card looked.

seriously. this card looks dope

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Hoping that Tryons got one more big right hand in him to knock Colbys head off

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Hoping that Tryons got one more big right hand in him to knock Colbys head off

Colby tends to get hit as he storms in, and Tyron hits people as they come in. It's not out of the question. If we're real fuckin' lucky, though, Colby will think he's a boxer.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Which fighters have you most enjoyed watching "put it all together"

As a WEC/Fightville fan, Poirier going from being a roughneck brawler with an ok sub game to a guy with good boxing (including defensively) has been rad.

Same with seeing Gaethje in WSoF barreling out with 1000% pressure behind haymakers and lowkicks, to now a guy that has the patience to pick his shots.

Nunes probably had most of her skills, but again, patience plus developing her cardio is probably the biggest thing she's improved, but it's been fun to watch. Though she still really only finishes people super early in fights. Still, p rad to see the development!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm sorry for importing politics into the thread but can we all just laugh at how dumb this would be?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-joe-rogan-experience-podcast-moderate-debates-b438422.html

quote:

President Donald Trump has voiced his support for stand up comic and self-proclaimed “psychedelic adventurer” Joe Rogan to host a presidential debate unlike any other in history.

The host of The Joe Rogan Experience, a popular podcast series, pitched the idea on a podcast hosted by retired UFC fighter Tim Kennedy.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mekchu posted:

I'm sorry for importing politics into the thread but can we all just laugh at how dumb this would be?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-joe-rogan-experience-podcast-moderate-debates-b438422.html

Imagining a presidential debate with the same tone as the ufc on fox announcement just makes me laugh

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Trump starts answering a question about climate change and Joe freaks out

"OH, HE'S GOT IT IN DEEP. HE'S GONNA DISCLOSE MEANINGFUL POLICY INFORMATION!"

Trump meanders off subject after 30 seconds, stops speaking in the middle of the sentence.

"Nevermind, he got out of it. He had it, though!"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

As a WEC/Fightville fan, Poirier going from being a roughneck brawler with an ok sub game to a guy with good boxing (including defensively) has been rad.

Same with seeing Gaethje in WSoF barreling out with 1000% pressure behind haymakers and lowkicks, to now a guy that has the patience to pick his shots.

Nunes probably had most of her skills, but again, patience plus developing her cardio is probably the biggest thing she's improved, but it's been fun to watch. Though she still really only finishes people super early in fights. Still, p rad to see the development!

TKZ has had a great developmental arc and it's a great time to watch all of his fights from his WEC debut in sequence. After his loss to George Roop he learned the value of striking defense, and some time between his two Leonard Garcia fights he learned how to vary his offense and he seems to have developed some serious striking accuracy just in time to KO a former title challenger in 7 seconds.

Now? Well now he is our god.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

TKZ has had a great developmental arc and it's a great time to watch all of his fights from his WEC debut in sequence. After his loss to George Roop he learned the value of striking defense, and some time between his two Leonard Garcia fights he learned how to vary his offense and he seems to have developed some serious striking accuracy just in time to KO a former title challenger in 7 seconds.

Now? Well now he is our god.

I want him to punch Ortega's face bloody, and then tap him with another fake Eddie Bravo move because gently caress the Gracies and their whole crew

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

because gently caress the Gracies and their whole crew

Hard agree.

As far as favorite fighter to see put it all together... I dunno if this counts but Demian Maia finding himself at 170 was a great journey. Going from BJJ ace to K-1 Maia to mixing his whole game decent was a fun time and really satisfying to root for.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

I want him to punch Ortega's face bloody, and then tap him with another fake Eddie Bravo move because gently caress the Gracies and their whole crew

I've always hated Ortega but now I have a reason beyond his failed drug tests and his face and his association with the Gracies. This is going to be a hardcore partisan fight for me. I can't remember the last time I liked one fighter so much and hated the other fighter so much.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah it's the exact opposite of the Gaethje/Ferguson fight. I like those two so much I was seriously anxious for both of them going into it.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I rarely wish real ill will towards fighters but I hope Zombie beats up Ortega worse than Max did, and I hope Colby gets wrecked so hard he leaves the sport forever

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

chaleski posted:

I rarely wish real ill will towards fighters but I hope Zombie beats up Ortega worse than Max did, and I hope Colby gets wrecked so hard he leaves the sport forever

Yeah I hate Colby more than I hate Ortega, but TKZ Brave Corea Hero #1 is the best of all fighters. When Colby was fighting Robbie that's probably the nearest to this gap I've had lately, but I didn't really feel as if Colby were likely to get some kind of explosive, sudden victory in that one. Any loss for Robbie was destined to be a sluggish demoralizing affair.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

LobsterMobster posted:

lol, I went to a new BJJ gym a while back, and while filling out forms, asked, "Do you mind if I wear my old gi? It's got my old gym's logos on it."

"Nah, that's fine," the coach said. "We're not a cult...like the Gracies."

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
I'm selling Chael Sonnen's gloves from his Babalu fight to raise money for the American Red Cross. With what is going on in Oregon, I wanted to try and help.

If you are interested here is a link: http://ebay.us/RvgOWn?cmpnId=5338273189

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

LobsterMobster posted:

Tupac's "hit em up" started playing in my brain reading this post.

if you're down with the gracies, gently caress you too!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Would UFC be better if it worked like Bellator in which fighters fought by organization matchmaking, but due to how they rank on a bracket?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Would UFC be better if it worked like Bellator in which fighters fought by organization matchmaking, but due to how they rank on a bracket?

I'm not totally sure what you mean unless you are implying a tournament style bracket.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I think Bellator gives you a pretty good idea of how well the idea works.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Im actually surprised the UFC didnt do that during the first few cards post COVID, would have been a good way to carry some momentum ahead to the more recent cards.

Would have been great for W145, but I don't think theres even enough actives for an 8 way bracket

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm not totally sure what you mean unless you are implying a tournament style bracket.

Doesn't Bellator rank each fighter and have the fighter trying out for the next rank fight the rank above them?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Doesn't Bellator rank each fighter and have the fighter trying out for the next rank fight the rank above them?

The UFC does that too. Until they decide a fight will make them more money.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

I'm selling Chael Sonnen's gloves from his Babalu fight to raise money for the American Red Cross. With what is going on in Oregon, I wanted to try and help.

If you are interested here is a link: http://ebay.us/RvgOWn?cmpnId=5338273189

I can't seem to open that link but legit may be interested. Someone was trying to sell some old Pride FC stuff and they nevere responded after a few PMs with them about it.

So I'm 100% down with this purchase and luckily despite being in Korea I use a reshipper who is based out of Oregon.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 15, 2020

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

Aldo disdainfully shutting out Frankie Edgar in their second fight is one of my favorite performances. Too bad it happened on that ugly yellow mat.

Machida doing every one of his moves to Thiago and all of them being super effective.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mekchu posted:

I gotta admit, I for one would be 100% down for Joe Rogan saying "Is that true?! Jaime pull that up!" every 5 minutes and pitching Trump TRT, DMT and the iron neck while he pressed him about the existence of aliens. I assume within 20 minutes Biden would forget where he was and start sniffing stuff.

LobsterMobster posted:

TJ Dillashaw was a big one for me, I liked a lot of what I saw from him early on and was really down for him to beat Barao. So much so that I threw some actual money on him to get the win at (I think) like an 8 dollar underdog. I lost my poo poo in the first round when he dropped him and spent the next 20 minutes sweating a big come back from Barao that never came. That fight literally bought me a TV so I'll always be a fan of TJ - even if he is a filthy cheat.

I also ear marked Weidman really early on as a future contender and it was pretty special to see him put Anderson to sleep. It really sucked to see him go on a long skid after the Rockhold fight, but it happens.

Kevin Lee tripping over his dick constantly sucks big time because I always thought he was destined for greatness. 2 from 6 is not amazing and while he can definitely turn it around (he's only 28) I'm starting to wonder if he ever will. Kelvin Gastellum might have the same issue too if he can't get it together. He's had a bad run of luck with some hard match ups in his three losses but I wonder if he's going to be a little like BJ Penn where he has all the talent in the world but just breaks down mentally because he doesn't have that insane drive in the lead up to fights to get himself to where he needs to be on fight day.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's been 4 months since Cerrone last fought... that's like 6 years in Cowboy Years, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Marlon Vera's evolution has been cool, especially coming out of Ecuador.