Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vegetable posted:

Are they bringing back drive-in theaters and outdoor movie screenings yet because those would be pretty okay if you do it carefully whereas on the other hand an indoor movie theater is basically a COVID death trap

I have two drive ins within 30 minutes of me but some Walmarts are supposedly making their parking lots theaters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Locally they're trying to do drive-ins, but the only movies they're showing are either Quentin Tarentino's back catalogue or the old family fare like Paddington (hell yeah!) or Spy Kids (lol). And they're asking nearly $40 a car per show, or $20 to reserve a 2 person patio table, and lol no.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Drive-ins are doing fine right now. Distributors have been making old and new movies available. I've watched Bill and Ted 3 at a drive-in. Disney even let Empire Strikes Back out of the vault for the 40th anniversary. I watched a double billing of Evil Dead 1 and 2 this past weekend.

I recall reading a link posted here on SA that Nolan or some other person involved won't let Tenet be screened at Drive-ins, which is a dumb move.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

I recall reading a link posted here on SA that Nolan or some other person involved won't let Tenet be screened at Drive-ins, which is a dumb move.

Unless this was edited it shows Tenet at a drive in

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Enos Cabell posted:

Please use a spoiler tag!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Enos Cabell posted:

I found the link. Variety reported that "The studio issued strict guidelines to drive-in operators across the country, mandating that “Tenet” can only play in outdoor venues if indoor theaters in that particular market are open."

My bad.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
That’s still hosed up and stupid and as someone who grew up on and still loves Nolan’s brand of self-serious “prestige” action film, I’m so loving glad Tenet is bombing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Tenet is a good movie to see in the theatre.

Please use common sense and judge how safe it is for you, your loved ones, and those around you before going to the theatre at this moment of time. If it is safe for you, while taking appropriate precautions, then it is a film highly recommended by members of this page. If it is not safe, please do not risk your health on a movie.

Does that cover it? Can we go back to bitching about Mulan or whatever we were on before this derail?

Also, Mulan bad. Watch the original again instead of the live action.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Honestly I feel like Tenet would've bombed anyway. Obviously not this badly, but Nolan spent $200 million making it and I think for the most part people don't even know what it's about or what type of movie it is. It was marketed very poorly, compare it to Inception which had a confusing plot but the premise was fairly simple and a lot of the marketing focused on the surreal dream stuff.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
How the "go expose yourself" people sound

https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Honestly I feel like Tenet would've bombed anyway. Obviously not this badly, but Nolan spent $200 million making it and I think for the most part people don't even know what it's about or what type of movie it is. It was marketed very poorly, compare it to Inception which had a confusing plot but the premise was fairly simple and a lot of the marketing focused on the surreal dream stuff.

I can't say I've ever seen an advertisement for Tenet, and at most it was links from this thread talking about how it was going to be the first movie when theaters opened back up. Was he just attempting to coast on name recognition like Adam Sandler?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tenet would've made a lot of money if there was no pandemic.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't say I've ever seen an advertisement for Tenet, and at most it was links from this thread talking about how it was going to be the first movie when theaters opened back up. Was he just attempting to coast on name recognition like Adam Sandler?

You probably haven’t seen many ads for Tenet because it didn’t have a definitive release date until three weeks ago.

Shut up, you’re an idiot who endangered others for the sake of a good time. Chalk it up as a mistake and don’t do it again instead of trying to die on this hill convincing others to do the same and risk infection.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I suppose it's unfair to say the marketing was bad as if that wasn't also effected by the pandemic. I assume there would've been more of a steady buildup of marketing if not for the whole release date shifting mess that the pandemic caused.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Without the pandemic, Tenet would have been moderately successful, doing well enough to pay back its budget, but not leaving much profit after marketing costs. This, and the less-than-stellar reviews, would take enough shine off of Christopher Nolan that for WB to be willing to continue giving him the freedom to pursue original projects, they'd demand he be more involved in the next phase of DC movies at a production level. While he'd refuse to direct one himself, this would line up his brother Jonathan to make his feature film directing debut with a rebooted Catwoman (Zoe Kazan, causing a certain amount of confusion with the Pattisonverse's Catwoman Zoë Kravitz) in 2023. Crazy to think none of that will happen now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I suppose it's unfair to say the marketing was bad as if that wasn't also effected by the pandemic. I assume there would've been more of a steady buildup of marketing if not for the whole release date shifting mess that the pandemic caused.

The thing that trips me out is that it's being discussed as though it's your obligation to go support Warner Bros. in these trying times. I don't give two fucks about their need to make back the money they spent making a movie, nor does anyone else. Sit on it and release it next year.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pirate Jet posted:

That’s still hosed up and stupid and as someone who grew up on and still loves Nolan’s brand of self-serious “prestige” action film, I’m so loving glad Tenet is bombing.

But why??

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Because if they wanted to release it stateside it should've been VOD.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it's just plain irresponsible to release a movie in theaters right now, and they deserve to have it bomb.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Because if they wanted to release it stateside it should've been VOD.

Not just stateside, some of the countries that got the early theatrical release have a worse death rate from Covid than the US. They only look better if you ignore the population size.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I saw a movie at my local arthouse because I'm worried/convinced it'll close due to this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Not just stateside, some of the countries that got the early theatrical release have a worse death rate from Covid than the US. They only look better if you ignore the population size.

I hadn't checked where it had been released so I (stupidly) assumed they had done so in countries where it was safe so now I'm even more happy it bombed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The thing that trips me out is that it's being discussed as though it's your obligation to go support Warner Bros. in these trying times. I don't give two fucks about their need to make back the money they spent making a movie, nor does anyone else. Sit on it and release it next year.

:capitalism:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FunkyAl posted:

I saw a movie at my local arthouse because I'm worried/convinced it'll close due to this.

It will and that’s life.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Because it has successfully convinced idiots to go ahead and spend two and a half hours in a theater with strangers during the worst pandemic in a century.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nolan had his time on top as a bullet-proof box office moneymaker so I'm ok with him taking one on the chin for once. Plus it's partially his own fault due to stubbornness.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

FunkyAl posted:

I love my local arthouse but if I had to let people die to keep it alive I’d burn it to the ground.

Stop posting.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Make donations to your local art places instead.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Pirate Jet posted:

I love my local arthouse but if I had to let people die to keep it alive I’d burn it to the ground.

I don't really think that would help.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Buy gift certificates for your local indie instead of buying tickets.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Saw it in IMAX laser. 25% capacity.

Honestly felt way safer than going to work everyday (especially back when my place of employment was within the hotbed zone), but for people who've either been unemployed or working from home all this time I can see where their unease is coming.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Saw it in IMAX laser. 25% capacity.

Honestly felt way safer than going to work everyday back (especially back when my place of employment was within the hotbed zone), but for people who've either been unemployed or working from home all this time I can see where their unease is coming.

Working is unfortunately something people must do in order to maintain basic needs like food and shelter. Going to a movie is not an essential life activity.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Shageletic posted:

Looks like the bad movie thats gonna kill some ppl isnt doing so well

https://mobile.twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1305229132834324480
More like TeNOT! :haw:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Basebf555 posted:

Working is unfortunately something people must do in order to maintain basic needs like food and shelter. Going to a movie is not an essential life activity.

Idc. If I felt safe I felt safe. That's it.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

You are also dumb.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

loving dope lol

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

relaxing at the movies with my buds

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

FunkyAl posted:

My local indie is opening in two days with something called The Secrets We Keep which looks like it could be good or absolutely awful.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yea we understand. You felt safe so that's all that matters. It's all about you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/responsiblerob/status/1305326918753894400