Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Broken Cog posted:

Did your dad convert your realm to a religion with Natural Primitivism, like Adamitsm? That might be why.
In any case, to fix it you can just convert back and demand the courtiers convert too.

Nah he didn't gently caress with religion, it was just a weird little modifier that happened because he was a lunatic.

For a while almost everyone at court was doing it too, but gradually they all went back to wearing clothes again. Except me, who died naked at a ripe old age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

yikes! posted:

I United the West Slavs as Bohemia which sets you to absolute crown authority and was excited to designate an heir instead of continuing the line of 60 year olds that keep inheriting (Czechs get seniority succession from the start). This did not work the way I wanted. I got to play as that dude, and my treasury and man at arms went to him, but all the titles still went to the old fella.

I couldn’t undesignate my heir when I realized things weren’t going to work or designate the old dude as my heir because he was from a different branch I guess. I also tried lowering crown authority but it kept the heir designation just wouldn’t let me change it anymore.

e: oops quote is not edit

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Okay, So now I have all this land in and around Jerusalem that I don't want. What do I do if I want to get rid of it? I really don't want to be trying to hold this stuff.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Broken Cog posted:

You did seem to get some money from somewhere between the screenshots though. Maybe it's just an UI bug?

Yea I ransomed someone else, it's not a UI bug for sure because clicking the event is what gives you the money.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Ice Fist posted:

Okay, So now I have all this land in and around Jerusalem that I don't want. What do I do if I want to get rid of it? I really don't want to be trying to hold this stuff.

Grant independence?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

Has anyone taken the Strengthen Bloodline decision, and does it poo poo out good traits as often as it seems like it will from the description? I've managed to breed a daughter that will be able to take the decision. I'm trying to weigh whether I want to marry her when she comes of age to get more childbearing years out of her against waiting until closer to the time that she inherits to try and get better heirs out of her.

Also, is Architected Ancestry (the legacy that lets you pick a congenital trait to become more common) actually good/working as intended? I've got the first two of the blood legacies unlocked and have 3000+ Renown, but I don't really care about the third legacy that reduces bad traits - they haven't been an issue for me. So I'm not sure whether I should get it just for the sake of getting Architected Ancestry.

I've come close to strengthen bloodline but I hit a generation where every one of my kids was the result of infidelity and it ruined my progress.

But I have taken Architected Ancestry and it seems to be working perfectly. I chose to promote intelligence and my dynasty is filled with geniuses.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Lol my brother murdered my son and then immediately offered me an alliance.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Gobblecoque posted:

Lol my brother murdered my son and then immediately offered me an alliance.

"It didn't have to be this way."

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Gasmask posted:

Grant independence?

Yep. Fixed it. I stripped him of his lands in Ireland, then granted him Independence, which turned all of his lands in Jerusalem into "Palestine".

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Playing as the Irish high king, my brother, who was also my heir, led a rebellion against me, killing me in combat, which meant I lost the war, which meant I started playing as him, which meant I won the war and became the king.

:thunk:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's like dueling for claims against my smarter, stronger brother in CK2 hoping I die so I can both reunite the country and play the better character.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
My first play of Ireland, Murchad's heir named his heir after himself. So now I'm playing as Brian mac Brian Briain.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Succession tab is like, the most important tab. I check it feverishly when taking over new territory and forming titles.

If people are struggling with losing kingdoms as UK starts, I've never had an issue with Saxon Elective as a popular ruler for non-primary ones.

Honestly though, losing all of Ireland is probably less important to me than losing two developed counties. Six personal counties or so is probably the income equivalent of my entire Empire.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bold Robot posted:

Has anyone taken the Strengthen Bloodline decision, and does it poo poo out good traits as often as it seems like it will from the description? I've managed to breed a daughter that will be able to take the decision. I'm trying to weigh whether I want to marry her when she comes of age to get more childbearing years out of her against waiting until closer to the time that she inherits to try and get better heirs out of her.

Also, is Architected Ancestry (the legacy that lets you pick a congenital trait to become more common) actually good/working as intended? I've got the first two of the blood legacies unlocked and have 3000+ Renown, but I don't really care about the third legacy that reduces bad traits - they haven't been an issue for me. So I'm not sure whether I should get it just for the sake of getting Architected Ancestry.

I took it in my Rurik game, and with the first four perks in blood, and then some time later the Strengthen Bloodline decision, I was routinely popping out multiple Beautiful Herculean Geniuses. Architected Ancestry only let me pick the tier one traits though Quick/Comely/Hale/Fecund, and I didn't pick Fecund so it's tough to say if it was working. But those first two blood picks are totally worth it.

That said playing as a Herculean character who never dies is honestly kinda lame? Short of becoming Obese pretty much every character I had in that line lived to be 80+, and so you only ever got to play characters who were 50+ since there's no good way to skip a generation. Which is a real shame because playing as a minor actually kinda rules.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 14, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've reached a point where my Pikemen/Huscarls deathstack just instantly stackwipes anything below 10k and brutalizes anything past that with an insane k/d ratio. I don't even have cavalry for pursuit; clearly they don't need it.

But yeah, just a heads-up: at a certain point levies are useless fodder and actual Men-at-arms are stupidly cost-effective and much less hassle to actually move around due to supply constraints. I'd say it's around the time you can get two duchy buildings online and can maintain a full complement of MAA, probably around 1050 or so. Don't even bother raising levies anymore; if anything the low stack size compared to whatever the AI can usually muster fools them into attacking you, leading to complete massacres.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ice Fist posted:

Yep. Fixed it. I stripped him of his lands in Ireland, then granted him Independence, which turned all of his lands in Jerusalem into "Palestine".

And there would never be problems there ever again...

strong bird
May 12, 2009

here's a slapdash mod that claims to sort of fix AI matrilineal

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2228887124

1) if faith female dominated, children under 6 will be of the woman's house (and culture, and religion, i guess) (i guess the under 6 thing is to give you some wiggle room to marry if you have some bastards? idk)

2) equality = higher title rank (or higher prestige rank if title rank is equivalent)

3) male dominated = the same as equality

strong bird fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 14, 2020

strong bird
May 12, 2009

it should be said that this might break the game just as badly as not having matrilineal marriages: if the AI is thinking theyre getting a regular marriage, they'll maybe offer their heir and then lose it on succession.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

A God drat Ghost posted:

My first play of Ireland, Murchad's heir named his heir after himself. So now I'm playing as Brian mac Brian Briain.

cuathal mac tir tuathal heljarskinnsson, jarl of strangfjord

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

So my elective succession is coming back to bite me in the rear end, the electors refuse to vote for anyone who isn't loving ancient. The top ranked is currently my 63 year old half-brother who is most certainly going to die soon. The problem is, I'm 62, so I can't bank on outliving him for very long either. Neither of us are going to hold onto this mess for very long, and there's a real risk of the empire splintering two successions from now before whichever one of us survives the longer can have a chance to arrange for a proper heir. Suggestions?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m almost done uniting the Iberian peninsula in my current game as Leon but....

France got absorbed into the Holy Roman Empire which is both completely intact and humongous.

And worse, it’s bordering me.

Please break down HRE.......

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, why does the AI have to be so utterly incompetent at dealing with peasant revolts. I'm getting messages of relatives dying in sieges every other month.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
My court physician cured my heir's bubonic plague by cutting his face off. I don't think anyone in my court even died from it, actually. Good job court physician.

Anyway I'll probably put this lithuania game on hold for a bit because even after consoling myself an enormous amount of money to build back up after feudalizing (helpful tip: if you're pagan and plan on doing this get the decision to fortify a holy site you hold. Makes the military side of the transition less painful) I'm still weaker than all my angry christian neighbors. I just got to the high medieval techs in the 1200s and there's not really anything going on. Crusades were a wet fart (hi opm Jerusalem in Bornholm) and Ghengis somehow lost his entire army before invading anything. Byzantines and whatever the Turks are calling themselves now didn't even touch each other after 1066 from what I could tell. At least the HRE exploded I guess?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
For the record, completely annihilating someone's levy pool is a fantastic way to instigate civil war in their realm. I repeatedly savaged the poo poo out of a massive Francia until they ended up in like three consecutive civil wars that bottomed out their crown authority, which meant that the Emperor had all this land but gently caress all levies to actually deploy.

If they actually mattered this late in the game with MAA ascendant, that is lol

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Broken Cog posted:

Man, why does the AI have to be so utterly incompetent at dealing with peasant revolts. I'm getting messages of relatives dying in sieges every other month.

The AI is incompetent at nearly everything, which I suppose is historically accurate but not very fun.

Playing as a tribal vassal with an incompetent liege (but as yet too powerful to depose) while managing confederate partition succession is pretty frustrating.

e: isn't the overwhelming dominance of men at arms and knights kind of ahistorical too? Not that peasants with spears are especially effective but there are tales aplenty of foolish noblemen on expensive armour being slaughtered by them in various ways.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

hopeandjoy posted:

I’m almost done uniting the Iberian peninsula in my current game as Leon but....

France got absorbed into the Holy Roman Empire which is both completely intact and humongous.

And worse, it’s bordering me.

Please break down HRE.......

Yeah, the HRE and the papacy are hugely op it seems

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

When your ruler gets really old (mine's 84 now) their succession gets insane because the AI is so bad at doing the right sorta marriages.
My heir became my great-great-great grandson who was a different dynasty so I had to imprison and murder him. It's not a HUGE deal I guess but it's still a pain.

drat you totally unchangeable confederate partition.

My newest ruler also has some kids who have gone off and had poo poo marriages so I really hope they never get in line to inherit especially since she's too far away for me to interact with.

Taear fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 14, 2020

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Azhais posted:

the snowball effect is much more pronounced in ck3 for any large or advantaged nation . paradox is going to be need to tweak a lot of stuff to curb it

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ok, so I'm a Duke in the Kingdom of France, and I just granted away a county to a courtier of mine. He did not hold any titles prior to me granting him land, but when I did grant him a county, he suddenly became a direct vassal of the King of France. Anyone know why?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

eXXon posted:

The AI is incompetent at nearly everything, which I suppose is historically accurate but not very fun.

Playing as a tribal vassal with an incompetent liege (but as yet too powerful to depose) while managing confederate partition succession is pretty frustrating.

e: isn't the overwhelming dominance of men at arms and knights kind of ahistorical too? Not that peasants with spears are especially effective but there are tales aplenty of foolish noblemen on expensive armour being slaughtered by them in various ways.

My understanding is that the games concept of levies is kind of ahistorical and the people who fought were more similar to men at arms than not. The 'levies' were quasi professional soldiers not just some guy you handed a spear and forced into a fight.

Also for popular opinion and like Scandinavian Elective is there some way to manage popular opinion beyond that stewardship perk for +50?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah, things need to splinter more often.

Also, something needs to be done about how I only seem to get 3 troops from my vassals, considering that I own every bit of coastline from Finland to Portugal.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Broken Cog posted:

Btw, how do you revoke duchy titles these days? Every time I try it just says "If you revoke this, the person will end up with only titular titles" or something. Can you only revoke duchies if the owner has more than one, or if you revoke all the counties as well first?

I'm not clear exactly what the rules are, but things I've noticed:

1. If you revoke a person's last county and they hold a duchy title the duchy title disappears.
2. If you revoke a title all child titles come with it - e.g. if you revoke England that person loses all holdings in England as well.
3. In some circumstances (I believe because of #2) you aren't allowed to revoke someone's highest level title if all their other titles are in it. I have worked around this by giving someone a title outside their top title - e.g. give the king of England a county in Scotland before revoking his kingship.
4. I have no idea what the "in some circumstances" part of #3 actually are

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
CK3: I had to murder my great-great-great grandson, it's not a HUGE deal

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zero One posted:

CK3: I had to murder my great-great-great grandson, it's not a HUGE deal

Three of them actually!

I'm at a point where my direct heir is a woman but she's in her second non-matrilineal marriage and she's too far away to interact with so I can't even disinherit her. It's so frustrating, I feel like in reality some random woman in the lithuanian court wouldn't ever be your heir

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

Ok, so I'm a Duke in the Kingdom of France, and I just granted away a county to a courtier of mine. He did not hold any titles prior to me granting him land, but when I did grant him a county, he suddenly became a direct vassal of the King of France. Anyone know why?

was the county inside the de jure lands of one of the kings ducal titles? those can get weird.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Does the old William the Bastard strategy of waiting a bit until both sides are weakened, mwving down the remaining Norwegians, and taking all the poo poo they already sieged still work?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

His starting army is so strong you don't even need to do that now.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Btw, how do you revoke duchy titles these days? Every time I try it just says "If you revoke this, the person will end up with only titular titles" or something. Can you only revoke duchies if the owner has more than one, or if you revoke all the counties as well first?

Revoking a duchy or kingdom always revokes all titles below that. You can do it if they have another county outside of that, but not if it would make them unlanded, which is probably a bug since you can revoke someone's last/only county just fine.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2228789862

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2228750342

Some weight-related mods that kinda explain why weight loss is such a problem. It only ticks every three years apparently!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Azhais posted:

I don't see this as much with the HRE, hell in 1066 it starts with an independence faction at 100% I'm pretty sure.