Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Kavak posted:

It's the 500th Episode! We're celebrating with RAPE!

It's fun to overanalyze but past his creepy hangups and fetishes we have to remember Mookie is really, really stupid.

Oh yeah, I think this could be down to stupitidy. But I don't think he chose to do a slime geyser for Strip #2 incidentatlly either. If he was going to put the effort into colouring, there had to be some visual reason why. Mookie, for stupid reasons, decided skin colour would be it. That's my theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, that’s kind of what I was driving at: what possible innocent explanation is there to choose that scene as the third-ever colored one? I try to give him the benefit of the doubt with this earlier stuff, but... yeah, it’s hard to see anything but the elephant in the room with this one.

Didn’t see the discussions last page before posting.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Invisible Clergy posted:

It's another mask of flaw scrubbing. It isn't a big deal that Luna lost her father

Which is a shame, because it could've been. Could've had an arc where she remembers Lady Travoria protecting her from the worst of her father until she murdered him, throwing her into a spiral of not knowing if she hates her mother as much as she thought she did/"OMG sometimes the bad person did good? Am I the bad for ignoring the good?". IIRC there's no moments where her mother outwardly indicates that she despises Luna until the reveal that she wants her dead, and Luna was shocked to discover her mother hated her because her childhood, for the most part, wasn't the absolute shittiest. So for her to say her dad was an awful person without hesitation, that means he was the obvious abuser in her past, but also that he wasn't around for long.

Like... maybe a long time ago, before Luna visits the alterist maybe, we see her mother shutting the front door on her drunk husband after lying about Luna being out with friends, so he and his rowdy friends yelling outside can find 'their little freak' and give her some real birthday punches. She waits for him and his friends to stumble far away from the house for round two of their epic pub crawl, one that should end with them asleep in a gutter or a jail cell for being public nuisances instead of coming home.

Once the coast is clear she knocks on the door to the wardrobe she'd hidden her daughter in so she can come out, and lets Luna sleep in her bed with her that night. She starts mentally preparing the final stage of her get-rich-quick plan sooner than she'd expected and doesn't sleep a wink. She pretends not to notice Luna's obvious distress at the shadows under her eyes the next morning and even now Luna honestly can't tell if she was trying to make Luna feel better ('It's not your fault, I'm not worried so don't you be worried either'), or worse ('You and I both know whose fault this is, but of course I'm not going to blame YOU or anything...').

The arc for Luna would end with her realising that a few good memories of her mother, or singular instances of her mother doing her job as a parent, don't mean that she wasn't abused THAT badly or that her mother wasn't despicable for how she treated her. Some tiny piece of her mother may have even genuinely loved her! But the rest of her sure didn't. She can mourn the glimpses of the mother she deserved to have, that Lady Travoria could have been but chose not to be, without brushing aside or minimising all the suffering Luna went through because of her.

But anyway enough effortposting about the story we could have had, because the one we've got is racist poo poo!

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 14, 2020

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

EDIT: Misread the post above.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

He died as inexplicably as he lived.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Born to die, world is a gently caress, kill 'em all 2019 I am trash mongrelman 410,757,864,530 dead women with giant tits and bloody asses.

We're nowhere with this. We're right where we started.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
"Okay so Snout gets the guy out and he wakes up...poo poo, he'd be in a ton of pain from having half his skin ripped off right? And then they'd talk. Or, uh, the guy would write at Snout about everything that happened. So I'd need to tie this into the plot.

gently caress it, he turns into dust."

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Now kiss.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Ahahahahaha

At least snout will have something new to journal about.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

The Little Death posted:

Ahahahahaha

At least snout will have something new to journal about.

Snout's log: stardate too loving long

"Well, that was weird. Back to wandering around the featureless white void."

(3 strips of snout walking by a tree, a rock, and the Taj Mahal with a triangle on the top of it)

when I read the update

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 14, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Invisible Clergy posted:

Snout's log: stardate too loving long

"Well, that was weird. Back to wandering around the featureless white void."

(3 strips of snout walking by a tree, a rock, and the Taj Mahal with a triangle on the top of it)

I'm not going to check, but I hope this Friday's strip is just Forrest Snout marching off with the cabin in the background, saying "I'll start again". Do it Mookie, amazing troll of your hate-readers.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
After narrowly escaping an eldritch hell-house with my life and this battered tormented body, I set them down on the grass. In their last moments of consciousness, they give me a single flower. Then their body crumbles away, vanishing into the wind as if they never existed. What am I feeling in this moment?

8^b

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

The Little Death posted:

I'm not going to check, but I hope this Friday's strip is just Forrest Snout marching off with the cabin in the background, saying "I'll start again". Do it Mookie, amazing troll of your hate-readers.
Forrest Lump in the middle of his back.

Pyrotoad posted:

After narrowly escaping an eldritch hell-house with my life and this battered tormented body, I set them down on the grass. In their last moments of consciousness, they give me a single flower. Then their body crumbles away, vanishing into the wind as if they never existed. What am I feeling in this moment?

8^b
liek dis if u cry everytiem.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I admit, I didn't see it coming.

Also, I can't imagine a more ridiculously empty scene. Why did he even poof out? Why was his arm a vine? If the point was 'inexplicable wonders' Mookie certainly didn't do a good job of it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Welp, things are done happening now, I guess.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Would've had more artistic integrity if his dong was out the whole time imo

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
With each new pointless meandering Snout grows more gormless than before. Gaze into his vacant thought extinguishing eyes and despair.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Why did dominic play on Stunt's misogyny instead of mentioning that his best friend was mind controlled?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zereth posted:

Why did dominic play on Stunt's misogyny instead of mentioning that his best friend was mind controlled?

Because this is how Mookie really feels:

It's why Stunt, the misogynist stab-happy murderer is redeemable but any woman who has slept with someone whose last name wasn't "Deegan" has to die with their tits or rear end hanging out.

See also, Snout rescuing a dead skinless man made of sand and leaving naked savior mommy to die after she quite literally pushed over the apparently load bearing "Junji Ito inspired" monster.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 14, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Zereth posted:

Also, Stunt hasn't been Redeemed yet with a reason why it was totally ok he murdered his own mother for being a WOMAN. Consequently, he is incapable of basic human concepts such as empathy or friendship, so him caring about Bumper is not a valid motivation since he has not been moved over from the box of "not Mookies" to the "Mookies" box.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Because this is how Mookie really feels:

It's why Stunt, the misogynist stab-happy murderer is redeemable but any woman who has slept with someone whose last name wasn't "Deegan" has to die with their tits or rear end hanging out.
Also, Dominic can't just tell Stunt information that would make him want to help normally. He has to own Stunt with FACTS and LOGIC and trap him with his superior brain power to manipulate him. Dance puppets dance!

quote:

See also, Snout rescuing a dead skinless man made of sand and leaving naked savior mommy to die after she quite literally pushed over the apparently load bearing "Junji Ito inspired" monster.
Perfectly reasonable in Mookie's mind since she had icky girl cooties. He's "ito-inspired" because he's ripping off the dad in the first chapter or two of "Uzumaki"

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Captain Oblivious posted:

With each new pointless meandering Snout grows more gormless than before. Gaze into his vacant thought extinguishing eyes and despair.

I love that Mookie's lack of creativity means that the one time he comes up with a character that isn't able to either have information downloaded into their brain directly or have the info fed to them from an AI attached to them, it's a perpetually confused dullard who just wanders aimlessly around, baffled by everything happening around him. I can't help but read sound effects into it.

Buh?

Guh?

WuUH?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvKbbHKpwnU

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
So Wednesday is Snout staring at the cabin or something

Friday is a journal entry

Behold, the anti-comic

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
So I'm figuring skinned dude existed entirely because Mookie rewatched Infinity War and wanted a ~moving~ scene of a character disappearing into dust, and awkwardly forced his way to that moment.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I can't believe Snout's story is getting more and more pointless and meandering. The Mongreltown strips feel like a taut, well-structured narrative compared to this. Does anyone even know what's been going on since then?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Angry Salami posted:

I can't believe Snout's story is getting more and more pointless and meandering. The Mongreltown strips feel like a taut, well-structured narrative compared to this. Does anyone even know what's been going on since then?

Someone on twitter made an extremely gentle comment about how lovely the comic was. Mookie passive-aggressively responded to it and the next day had inkwich 2.0 and skullet show up and kick the poo poo out of Snout, then he woke up and played deadly premonition 3 and now he's wandering past those easter island statues again is I think about the long and short of it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Dominic immediately recognizes the date rape drugs.

Which sheds a different light on something that comes up in the next chapter.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

TheHan posted:

He died as inexplicably as he lived.

Thanos' snap missed Snout.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I can't believe we literally went back in time like 20 strips.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

YF-23 posted:

I can't believe we literally went back in time like 20 strips.

The whole comic's been pointless filler but this was a level beyond.

An actual good version of this story would've had Snot discover what happened to Deegan instead of just meandering around the Mild Edge and then gone on from there into the ramifications.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I am agog at the blatant filler

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I'm more interested in the re-read of DD than the absolute nothing that is Legacy. This is why you plan out your stories.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The real Legacy of Dominic Deegan was the filler we made along the way.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Speaking of which, I'm curious as to how many strips The Little Death is cutting out for each chapter. It never feels like the story's flow breaks and if you told me that nothing was skipped I'd believe you.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

YF-23 posted:

Speaking of which, I'm curious as to how many strips The Little Death is cutting out for each chapter. It never feels like the story's flow breaks and if you told me that nothing was skipped I'd believe you.

There are skipped strips that are obvious because TLD references something about a strip that's not actually shown.

E.g.:

The Little Death posted:

Luckliy for him and the Deeganclan, Amelia likes to leave all her incriminating papers on her desk. Once again, a pussy joke. Hahahahahaha. Pussy means cat, but it also means vagina. Did you know this? I did not.

It seems that this strip was skipped:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Does anyone else mentally voice Spark as an annoying knock-off of Donald Duck?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Cat Mattress posted:

There are skipped strips that are obvious because TLD references something about a strip that's not actually shown.

E.g.:

It seems that this strip was skipped:

Sometimes I forget to copy something over. I have skipped a few strips here and there big actually at this point enough happens each day that I can't skip too much or the flow is lost. This won't be the case Post storm of should where I I really think Mookie started not planning ahead. Right now, I think he was still constructing a framework of the story first, which is why he packs so much in.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's a lot to criticize about this comic, but this is the dumbest thing for me. A "joke" that is completely spelled out for the reader but also makes zero sense within the fiction. And Mookie definitely thinks he's clever for it. Even when I was a fan of DD I thought this particular comic was stupid.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

There's a lot to criticize about this comic, but this is the dumbest thing for me. A "joke" that is completely spelled out for the reader but also makes zero sense within the fiction. And Mookie definitely thinks he's clever for it. Even when I was a fan of DD I thought this particular comic was stupid.

I mean, this kinda ultimately defines Dominic Deegan. There's a lot of "jokes" and "plot twists" that are really stupid or utterly cliche, but Mookie plays them like he's a narrative genius for coming up with them.

I think maybe at the time, especially this early in the comic, it could have been written off as inexperience or just still trying to really find his footing with tone/style/etc. Looking back on it now, with everything available, it's just patently obvious how hosed up a lot of it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

i can see this working verbally by over emphasizing each of the words. so nice to see you. lovely house you have. Unbelievable etc etc