Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Did everyone at Defector get blasted at the (presumably socially distanced/on zoom) launch party and forget to post articles this morning? I always liked that Deadspin had stuff up for me to read both during my pre-shower poo poo and my at work post-coffee poo poo.

E: and one goes up as I kvetch. Time for my post-coffee poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Not in love with the way the website is set up. The big orange banner seems to come and go at random, and I wish it would go away for good.

The "comment of the day" banner is in an annoying place. So is the newsletter thing. Basically I want the blog roll to be more front and center and less broken up by these things.

The Warby Parker ad is intrusive but it's fine, gotta make that money.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Yeah, defector looks like poo poo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Well it wouldnt feel much like classic Deadspin with a tolerable interface.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think the big orange banner goes away once it recognizes you as "logged in", but it doesn't do that reliably right now. I can go down to the comments and it's still asking me to sign in (even though it looks like I'm signed it at the bottom right). Once I refresh it a time or two it picks me up.

Basically it's kinda buggy but they'll probably work it out.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Wish they had a danged rss feed.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I picked the Athletic back up today for $1/month, good for the next 6 months.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

habeasdorkus posted:

I made one until they make an official. It only updates once an hour, and its just headline links:

http://createfeed.fivefilters.org/extract.php?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdefector.com%2Fall%2F&in_id_or_class=post-card__title&max=5&order=document

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

This is perfect, thanks my friend

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Perfect! I only need the headlines, I'm happy to click through to the site whenever I see posts I'm interested in.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

They do!

https://defector.com/feed

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Crud, dunno how I missed it.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Very glad to see "Vichy Deadspin" has made its way over to Defector. Hell of a lot catchier than Manchuko...

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Thank loving god. Really don't like their website.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I kind of want to know why Drew keeps running the 'don't drive high' PSA during the podcast. Is it a community service thing for legal reasons? :ohdear:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Albino Squirrel posted:

I kind of want to know why Drew keeps running the 'don't drive high' PSA during the podcast. Is it a community service thing for legal reasons? :ohdear:

do people somehow still believe he was in the hospital because of a secret drunk driving car accident or something

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I think the current running theory with the most evidence is that he was the catalyst to COVID.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Aggro posted:

Giri will have many words about the US Open tomorrow.

Did I miss it?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

do people somehow still believe he was in the hospital because of a secret drunk driving car accident or something

Seriously, holy poo poo it's amazing how long a life this rumor has had.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Was Taters posted:

Did I miss it?

https://defector.com/naomi-osaka-asked-the-right-question/

It's not really about the match itself though

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 13, 2020

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

MourningView posted:

Nothing to do with that; he's been pretty open about stopping drinking and switching to weed entirely since his brain hemorrhage. It's just that the PSA sounds like the kind of community service thing you get sentenced to do when you get a DUI and you have a platform.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The PSA is a pretty podcast ad that comes up every so often. I've heard it on other podcasts as well. It just stands out a lot for not being an ad for mattresses or whatever is being put in subscription boxes these days.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i can't believe that podcast ads are that effective in selling subscription underwear or whatever, seems like a weird bubble.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

i can't believe that podcast ads are that effective in selling subscription underwear or whatever, seems like a weird bubble.

I have a pair of me undies and I regret to inform you than they are in fact the most comfortable underwear I have ever owned

Albino Squirrel posted:

Nothing to do with that; he's been pretty open about stopping drinking and switching to weed entirely since his brain hemorrhage. It's just that the PSA sounds like the kind of community service thing you get sentenced to do when you get a DUI and you have a platform.

It's the same deal as drunk driving commercials on TV or whatever, and yeah I'm pretty sure I heard the one about driving high on a ringer podcast too.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

can confirm meundies feel great and make my junk look incredible

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I've had a leesa bed for years and I just bought a second one, because of Chris Harris' Football Podcast

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Declan MacManus posted:

can confirm meundies feel great and make my junk look incredible

And bombas does make some goddamn good socks

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

After 3 days I was out of patience. I sent a mail last night which politely expressed disappointment and asked for a refund; today they politely said they were sorry to have disappointed and refunded my money - but they hope in future to be more what I'm looking for. I'll check back in a few months. I'm sure it will have improved.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Was Taters posted:

After 3 days I was out of patience. I sent a mail last night which politely expressed disappointment and asked for a refund; today they politely said they were sorry to have disappointed and refunded my money - but they hope in future to be more what I'm looking for. I'll check back in a few months. I'm sure it will have improved.

Disappointing but happy to hear they understood and refunded you. I dunno what their staff looks like 100% and they might just have to focus on stuff thats gunna get clicked on right now.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Late stage deadspin was not something I'd pay to read so I"m not going to pay for it now that it has an ugly orange bar covering 25% of the screen, even if I can adblock it. Thanks for reading this, for free

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The first in depth tennis article just got posted and it's classic Giri.

https://twitter.com/girinathan/status/1305529042968481794?s=20

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 14, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Was Taters posted:

Yeah that's a very pleasant surprise that they fully refunded you. I don't blame you at all for the annoyance. I get that they need clicks and subscribers but feels like it's going to be almost nothing but a wall of NFL posts for a while.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Was Taters posted:

You should read this:

https://defector.com/the-league-for-obsessives-and-for-no-one-else/

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

"It can lead to outcomes like this very website's "WNBA" category page being populated with nothing but a "Coming Soon!" message, four days into it's existence" is a nice acknowledgement but they still should be doing less NFL and more of every other sport.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

The X-man cometh posted:

"It can lead to outcomes like this very website's "WNBA" category page being populated with nothing but a "Coming Soon!" message, four days into it's existence" is a nice acknowledgement but they still should be doing less NFL and more of every other sport.

Why would they do that? The NFL is a media behemoth that towers in popularity over every other major league in the United States. Magary is one of the sites biggest draws, and he is primarily a football writer. The NFL just had its season-opening weekend, and many of the games were very good. They want to attract readers and keep them engaged...why not write about football?

I love that Defector can cover major sports and also have an article or two a day on less popular sports. I also enjoy the occasional long form on a sport that I couldnt care less about (snooker, darts, rugby sevens, cornhole, whatever).

If there was a strong enough demand for an all-obscure sports or all-womens sports blog, Im sure it would exist.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Right now the NFL looks over-represented because they're trying to stuff 32 WYTS posts in the span of a few days. It'll level out a little.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Right now the NFL looks over-represented because they're trying to stuff 32 WYTS posts in the span of a few days. It'll level out a little.

Yeah they're cramming the usual month of WYTS into a little over a week so it seems football stuffed now.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Also football just restarted this weekend after no preseason and largely closed off training camps, so a lot of places are going football heavy as a result of not having their normal 4-6 weeks of build up like theyd get for a normal season.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Working at the ringer sounds not good.

https://twitter.com/RingerUnion/status/1305919777492197376?s=20

Unless you're nephew kyle or whatever.