Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Zenos is a hunk who understands my unending thirst for Content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I thought Gaius learning the origin story of Garlemald as an Ascian ploy from the ground up was why he went all Shadowhunter

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought Gaius learning the origin story of Garlemald as an Ascian ploy from the ground up was why he went all Shadowhunter

I don't think he knows this, he's just doing it because he got done dirty by Lahabrea.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hunter Noventa posted:

I don't think he knows this, he's just doing it because he got done dirty by Lahabrea.

What Gaius tells Valdeaulin is, "For millenia, mankind has danced to [the Ascians'] tune," which implies that he knows the Empire has been manipulated directly, if not necessarily founded by them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
He knows about the Ascians guiding things, but I don't think he knows Solus was a meat puppet being driven around by an Ascian.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
tbh the consistent implications that Zenos isn't really ensouled or human as we understand it are the worst things about him. I get that it's a reference to Sephiroth and that by the time you actually meet Sephiroth in present-day in FF7 he's stopped being human entirely, but from the perspective we have now, especially with that recent bonus story that just has kid zenos as in a very hostile home environment and somewhat autistic-coded, only to turn that into why he's inhuman/monstrous, not using it for pity or anything. There's a lot more to be revealed and said about him, and I'm ready for them to turn it around but it's written super awkward, just like the warriors of darkness felt like a really weird sidetrack during the heavensward patch cycle itself while you were waiting the story out.

Even putting myself in a hypothetical future point where everything has come together, the side story is pretty oof and the whole premise just isn't as great.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Mister Olympus posted:

tbh the consistent implications that Zenos isn't really ensouled or human as we understand it are the worst things about him. I get that it's a reference to Sephiroth and that by the time you actually meet Sephiroth in present-day in FF7 he's stopped being human entirely, but from the perspective we have now, especially with that recent bonus story that just has kid zenos as in a very hostile home environment and somewhat autistic-coded, only to turn that into why he's inhuman/monstrous, not using it for pity or anything. There's a lot more to be revealed and said about him, and I'm ready for them to turn it around but it's written super awkward, just like the warriors of darkness felt like a really weird sidetrack during the heavensward patch cycle itself while you were waiting the story out.

Even putting myself in a hypothetical future point where everything has come together, the side story is pretty oof and the whole premise just isn't as great.

I mean, I can see Zenos as neuroatypical, but I'm not really sure that it's why he's a bad person or solipsistic. There's several other characters who are neuroatypical-coded, no?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Jetrauben posted:

I mean, I can see Zenos as neuroatypical, but I'm not really sure that it's why he's a bad person or solipsistic. There's several other characters who are neuroatypical-coded, no?

there are which is why it's not a super big deal and i'm still putting all this trust in ff14 writing. (that and the game in general.)

the "why" he's solipsistic/a bad person is probably because he is some portion space monster or created by the ascians, that is extremely clear from the current context but we don't have the specifics. which is what makes the linked story, in particular, bad because it still has to deal with the kayfabe that zenos is 100% a natural person with a soul but also frame him as fundamentally evil from the get-go.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Zenos kinda has the same thing going on as yotsuyu and fordola where he was just given a poo poo hand and was never really given a chance to turn out any other way, but while they were relentlessly abused by their situation, zenos was getting it from the other direction of just having his worst possible impulses reinforced constantly and nobody ever being willing to try and stop him. Its not that him being an autistic-coded child is why he’s Like That, but that nobody actually tried to make him a good person or learn better and nobody tried to rein him in at all, ever, when he decided to be the bloodthirsty Murder Prince, because that was superficially virtuous to the garlean might makes right ethos.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 14, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Zenos is gonna get a "redemption" arc where he just refuses to ever stay dead so we give up on killing him and just give him a linkpearl and say he can just call and say "fite me" any time and we'll come running, no need to do a genocide just to get our attention

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

cheetah7071 posted:

Zenos is gonna get a "redemption" arc where he just refuses to ever stay dead so we give up on killing him and just give him a linkpearl and say he can just call and say "fite me" any time and we'll come running, no need to do a genocide just to get our attention

Infinitely scaling content: Zenos in the Omega thing.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

zenos just needs to meet a shard of yoshi-p who can keep him in the hallucinatory content loop that's so essential to wol letting off steam

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

We need a Zenos but for the DoH/DoL disciplines

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

We need a Zenos but for the DoH/DoL disciplines

[smash announcer voice] Dark Godbert

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I think CUL 50-60, or maybe the storyline after that one, had someone like that

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cheetah7071 posted:

Isn't this just Sadu?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cythereal posted:

Isn't this just Sadu?

I keep calling her asking to fight and she doesn't pick up

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

cheetah7071 posted:

I keep calling her asking to fight and she doesn't pick up

Line's busy, she's leaving voice mails on Magnai's linkperl where she's just shouting "little sun!" over and over

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

cheetah7071 posted:

Gonna defeat the next major foe by putting them in the shortest path between ourselves and Zenos

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I’m excited for 6.0’s main new feature: Zenos Everywhere.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

The new Stone, Sea, Sky.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A new expansion typically has three trial bosses, four raid bosses, and twenty four dungeon bosses

All of them Zenos

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

'Zenos' turns into 'Zeromus' so easily ...

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I could do with an FFXIV remake of Zeromus's theme.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

after the first set of Omega raids I was super hoping we'd see an FFIV set with Zeromus somewhere in there

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I fully expect to get some Zeromus thing when we actually go to the Moon.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I fully expect to get some Zeromus thing when we actually go to the Moon.

Yeah that would be my guess for the finale. Zenos makes himself the new heart of Zodiark (who is sealed in the Moon, obviously) and then loses his rationality entirely and becomes a creature of pure destruction - Zeromus

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

multijoe posted:

Yeah that would be my guess for the finale. Zenos makes himself the new heart of Zodiark (who is sealed in the Moon, obviously) and then loses his rationality entirely and becomes a creature of pure destruction - Zeromus

AND we get a Four Fiends trial set/raid out of it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
It's not final fantasy until we kill our dad then god

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

CYBEReris posted:

[smash announcer voice] Dark Godbert

Lmao

Countblanc posted:

Zenos is a hunk who understands my unending thirst for Content.

:hai:

Zenos owns and to spite all of you, I want every single primal fight for the remaining years of this game's life cycle to be
Phase 1: fighting monster
Phase transition: zenos shows up and kills it
Final phase: we do glorious battle with zenos again

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I want him to show up while I'm killing monsters for board hunts and genocide all the mobs I'm trying to kill and prevent them from spawning until I fight him.

When I'm gathering from nodes I want him to show up and block my pickaxe in a really flashy cutscene and scream challenges in my face.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Open up the glamour cabinet to fill out a new plate, who's that in the reflection? It's Zenos with three extra katana golfbags and an ice bucket full of Vitality Infusions

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Jinh posted:

Zenos owns and to spite all of you, I want every single primal fight for the remaining years of this game's life cycle to be
Phase 1: fighting monster
Phase transition: zenos shows up and kills it
Final phase: we do glorious battle with zenos again

I would accept this but only on two conditions

1: This only happens sometimes instead of every trial
2: zenos steals their power, like with some kind of weird ultima sword, and then uses it in the fight.

Oh and the music has to be rad or else zenos should just die now and give up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jinh posted:

I want him to show up while I'm killing monsters for board hunts and genocide all the mobs I'm trying to kill and prevent them from spawning until I fight him.

When I'm gathering from nodes I want him to show up and block my pickaxe in a really flashy cutscene and scream challenges in my face.

Zenos Everywhere

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

In 6.0 the world boss achievement FATE in each zone will be a chain of FATEs where you fight Zenos, culminating in a FATE where you fight Zenos

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Zoig posted:

I would accept this but only on two conditions

1: This only happens sometimes instead of every trial
2: zenos steals their power, like with some kind of weird ultima sword, and then uses it in the fight.

Oh and the music has to be rad or else zenos should just die now and give up.

If it happens in Memoria Misera Zenos is killed by Fake Varis and replaced with Greg

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/Dragoncloud64/status/1304188114303250432

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Onmi posted:

Not yet, but he almost assuredly will.
It's been a while since I've seen the cutscenes, but wasn't the whole reason Gaius and Estinien ended up in the throne room at the end of 5.1 was because Gaius wanted to ask if the Garlean empire really was founded by an Ascian?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Insert name here posted:

It's been a while since I've seen the cutscenes, but wasn't the whole reason Gaius and Estinien ended up in the throne room at the end of 5.1 was because Gaius wanted to ask if the Garlean empire really was founded by an Ascian?

no, they ended up in the throne room because Gaius heard Varis scream in pain and his first thought in the middle of a dangerous stealth infiltration was to immediately rush into the throne room shouting "YOUR RADIANCE!" in great concern for his former boss and blow the whole mission.

That is the moment I knew he was definitely still a fascist lapdog at his core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Galaga Galaxian posted:

no, they ended up in the throne room because Gaius heard Varis scream in pain and his first thought in the middle of a dangerous stealth infiltration was to immediately rush into the throne room shouting "YOUR RADIANCE!" in great concern for his former boss and blow the whole mission.

That is the moment I knew he was definitely still a fascist lapdog at his core.

Eh, that seems slightly unfair. Instinct and all that. I feel like Gaius is trying to turn over a new leaf. Certainly he is radically opposed to the genocidal programs - even with the various tribes of Eorzea he urged them to surrender and tried to show summoning was futile, he wants a conquered land, not a wasteland - and he was willing to kill Garlean loyalists to get answers and destroy the Black Rose stores.