Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Memento posted:

Landlords can enter your property in Oregon without your permission if "Responding to an emergency, which includes a repair problem that may cause serious damage to the premises if not fixed immediately". So, I'm going to go with it's probably illegal. Whether you want to fight them over it is a different story.

Does "the entire house smells like death since all the meat in the fridge rotted" count as "serious damage"? I think they could credibly argue yes, especially if it's unclear how long the power would have been out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Get back at her by taking a fat dump in your toilet, not flushing, and then leaving for a month.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BBQ Dave posted:

Har dee har har.

Seriously though made me laugh, thanks.

I snuck in as planned and emptied the fridge and freezer, expecting to not be back for weeks. Got the wife's jewelry and the PS4 (priorities) in case of looting/thieving. Apparently cops have arrested 27 people for attempts since I posed last. Im in a hotel and work is paying for some of it while I work through this.

Today we got an email from the landlady subject line "Come on Home" saying the power is on, gotta boil the water and :wtf: they went into everyone's apartments and emptied all the fridges. This is illegal right? Are they just trying to get places arguably habitable so they can keep charging us rent?

If power was off for an extended period of time, they did you a favor by emptying the fridge. Unless a kitchen full of maggots and flies blotting every window was a goal. And once food spoils like that, good luck ever getting the smell out of the fridge.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
It is always a little eye opening to see what kind if larvae are living in your produce/food that, if given enough time and not preserved (like refrigeration) will spawn and just ruin the day. Like fruit flies.

You eat those bugs otherwise unawares..

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Well I was unaware until now.

That really does explain how people believed in spontaneous generation.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

dialhforhero posted:

It is always a little eye opening to see what kind if larvae are living in your produce/food that, if given enough time and not preserved (like refrigeration) will spawn and just ruin the day. Like fruit flies.

You eat those bugs otherwise unawares..

it's extra protein

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
We walk, dig, and play in the collective poo poo and decomposed remains of countless generations of organisms every day, eating a few larvae won't hurt you

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJGpqRsttf0

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1305506359698501632?s=21

200+ foot fall.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
No pictures, but if you want approximately 75 minutes of OSHA hilarity then head on over to HBO Max and watch Class Action Park.

So many holy poo poo and what the... moments will be had.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Amusement park OSHA posts come in 3's

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1305522606691540993?s=21

Weiss said a jury could decide Universal’s behavior “goes beyond ordinary negligence and quite possibly gross negligence,” he wrote.

James Bowen was paralyzed on Punga Racers in July 2019 and sued in October 2019. His lawsuit unearthed internal records from Universal that showed the slide had a history of injuries. Universal engineers acknowledged in depositions they were aware some people went too fast on the slide and didn’t have enough time to slow down safely because of the length of the slide’s run-out.

“Plaintiffs maintain there is a reasonable evidentiary basis that a jury could find that Universal had actual knowledge that Punga Racers was dangerous, demonstrated by dozens of injury reports, the slide’s failed testing, and the reports of its own engineers,” Weiss wrote.

Bowen’s attorney argued Universal should have spent the money to make the ride safe or else shut it down.

Universal’s defense attorney argued last week the park didn’t ignore the problems since officials regularly met to discuss the ride’s issues and tried to fix them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's why I don't like water parks. At least you're strapped into a rollercoaster and it's on rails so you know you aren't going to end up somewhere you're not supposed to be.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Zero One posted:

Amusement park OSHA posts come in 3's

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1305522606691540993?s=21

Weiss said a jury could decide Universal’s behavior “goes beyond ordinary negligence and quite possibly gross negligence,” he wrote.

James Bowen was paralyzed on Punga Racers in July 2019 and sued in October 2019. His lawsuit unearthed internal records from Universal that showed the slide had a history of injuries. Universal engineers acknowledged in depositions they were aware some people went too fast on the slide and didn’t have enough time to slow down safely because of the length of the slide’s run-out.

“Plaintiffs maintain there is a reasonable evidentiary basis that a jury could find that Universal had actual knowledge that Punga Racers was dangerous, demonstrated by dozens of injury reports, the slide’s failed testing, and the reports of its own engineers,” Weiss wrote.

Bowen’s attorney argued Universal should have spent the money to make the ride safe or else shut it down.

Universal’s defense attorney argued last week the park didn’t ignore the problems since officials regularly met to discuss the ride’s issues and tried to fix them.

Seems pretty cut and dry, but I'm not a lawyer or anything. Seems like negligence on the part of the park. You know you have unfixed issues and don't close the ride down. Some galaxy brain poo poo right there. My guess is they crunched the numbers somewhere and determined it was cheaper to potentially pay out to somebody than shut down a dangerous ride.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

dog nougat posted:

Seems pretty cut and dry, but I'm not a lawyer or anything. Seems like negligence on the part of the park. You know you have unfixed issues and don't close the ride down. Some galaxy brain poo poo right there. My guess is they crunched the numbers somewhere and determined it was cheaper to potentially pay out to somebody than shut down a dangerous ride.

Florida attorney here. In Florida it is actually difficult to get punitive damages. They must be separately requested via motion for leave to amend before you can even request them in the complaint. You must put forth a proffer of evidence that demonstrates either willful misconduct or gross negligence as defined by statute. The SCoFL has further clarified that they're only available in situations where the culpability is equivalent to that of manslaughter.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Whatever happened to that insane water park owner who designed a slide without having any idea what he was doing that culminated in a kid getting decapitated? Did he ever end up in jail?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Florida attorney here. In Florida it is actually difficult to get punitive damages. They must be separately requested via motion for leave to amend before you can even request them in the complaint. You must put forth a proffer of evidence that demonstrates either willful misconduct or gross negligence as defined by statute. The SCoFL has further clarified that they're only available in situations where the culpability is equivalent to that of manslaughter.

drat! That's a high loving bar to reach. I'd imagine plenty of lobbying by Disney is the culprit for the laws those decisions are based on.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Bioshuffle posted:

Whatever happened to that insane water park owner who designed a slide without having any idea what he was doing that culminated in a kid getting decapitated? Did he ever end up in jail?

charges dropped due to presenting the water park tv show about that slide as fact during the trial

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Bioshuffle posted:

Charges dismissed because the idiot prosecution based their entire case on the Discovery channel show when it was all fake stuff for TV.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
:argh: EFB but I had more content!!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Florida attorney here.
Oh man, ask/tell or story thread please.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The SCoFL has further clarified that they're only available in situations where the culpability is equivalent to that of manslaughter.
Holy poo poo how much did that cost Disney?
Less than one ugly lawsuit, but still goddamn politicians are cheap..

Would be kind of fun if this weren't true, and Disney / Universal / Sea World lawyers "that's no angel'ed" all these injured kids.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 14, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DelphiAegis posted:

drat! That's a high loving bar to reach. I'd imagine plenty of lobbying by Disney is the culprit for the laws those decisions are based on.

I don't know that Disney is to blame, but the Florida legislature has been completely captured by business interests for decades.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bioshuffle posted:

Lol no. All charges dismissed after prosecution presented an episode of extreme water slides (or something close to that) but didn’t explicitly tell the jury it was fictional version and not fact.
:suicide:

Edit: badly beaten for failure to refresh tab

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Free Cheese posted:

We walk, dig, and play in the collective poo poo and decomposed remains of countless generations of organisms every day, eating a few larvae won't hurt you

Sand is just fish poop.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I know three separate people have pointed it out, but wait.

What?

They used a TV show to get the charges dropped? I can't fathom this. Wasn't the father a politician as well?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Remulak posted:

Oh man, ask/tell or story thread please.

Holy poo poo how much did that cost Disney?
Less than one ugly lawsuit, but still goddamn politicians are cheap..

Would be kind of fun if this weren't true, and Disney / Universal / Sea World lawyers "that's no angel'ed" all these injured kids.

I don't really have many exciting florida man legal stories. I do know that a car dealer can sell a car that they know is so rusted through on the frame and brakes that it is not safe to drive and still fall short of the required threshold for punitive damages.

Florida is one of the birthplaces for republican "tort reform" that was supposed to reduce medical costs and such because doctors only charge high rates because the constant fear of malpractice. As a result, it is now very difficult to sue doctors for medmal in Florida. Before you can even file a suit you must spend the money to pay an expert (another doctor) to tell you whether or not the putative defendants acted outside the required scope of care. Even then, there are massive limitations to what can be recovered.

A fun example is wrongful death medmal. Had a case with a 36 year old mentally handicapped woman. She was not at all able to live on her own and was dependent on her mother. She got arrested and died due to neglect while in jail. Her death was demonstrably caused by the lovely jail medical contractor. However, the mother was limited by statute to only lost future earnings because her kid was over 25 and there are statutory limits on recovery after that point. Since the dead woman was mentally incompetent, she had no future earnings potential and there was basically no settlement as a result. A woman's daughter was killed by the neglect of the jail and basically got nothing.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Not strictly OSHA but I know it will be appreciated here

https://twitter.com/backt0nature/status/1305523700406550528?s=20

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Aren't elk the second largest deer species behind moose? I don't know how aggressive moose are, but I know they can unintentionally kill you easily. White tail deer are much smaller than either and can be dangerously aggressive and seriously gently caress you up, so I wouldn't want to imagine how easily an animal the size of an elk could straight up murder you intentionally if provoked.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If it had gored him, he'd probably be dead. That thing really wanted him to go the gently caress away.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Oh I get it, the fuzzy creature just wants me to move a couple feet away and then it'll be totally cool with me being here

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mushika posted:

Aren't elk the second largest deer species behind moose? I don't know how aggressive moose are, but I know they can unintentionally kill you easily. White tail deer are much smaller than either and can be dangerously aggressive and seriously gently caress you up, so I wouldn't want to imagine how easily an animal the size of an elk could straight up murder you intentionally if provoked.

quote:

The smallest-bodied subspecies is the tule elk (C. c. nannodes), which weighs from 170 to 250 kg (370 to 550 lb) in both sexes.[23]

Way, way bigger than you want to get anywhere near with your only protection or armament being a cell phone.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

The latter: Pre-made extract. Can find it online, or around Lancaster Country (PA) here & there.

Hires was the best. I really miss it.

I can simulate birch beer by adding a touch of wintergreen, & a bit of vanilla extract.

I haven't done it in several years, because the last two batches over-pressurized and I'm not sure what I was doing wrong with the yeast. Then I discovered that Victory makes a natural-fermented root beer that is nearly as good as making my own...but I have to go to their brewery in Phillipsburg Downingtown,PA to get it.

You’re like your caution is justified here. I remember my grandma had a wicked scar on her leg from when she was a kid brown root beer and one of her bottles exploded. We could still see it decades later

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Mushika posted:

Moose cause the second-most injuries of any wild mammal worldwide (first is hippo), but I think most that could be explained by being one of the few large mammals that are fairly common and found close to humans. The usual rules apply: Don't startle it, don't get between a mother and its calf and avoid males hosed up on testosterone.

Also, don't miss.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/KUFsqb6.gifv

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

:stare:

just everything about that

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zero One posted:

Charges dismissed because the idiot prosecution based their entire case on the Discovery channel show when it was all fake stuff for TV.

huh. i actually would've guessed that they COULDN'T press charges, i recall one of the things about that case being that the parent of the child who died was a local politician who had spent his entire career loosening the safety restrictions in his county for Are Biznissis

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The White Dragon posted:

huh. i actually would've guessed that they COULDN'T press charges, i recall one of the things about that case being that the parent of the child who died was a local politician who had spent his entire career loosening the safety restrictions in his county for Are Biznissis

IIRC he sponsored a bill that capped the amount that you could sue a business for wrongful death at something like $500K, then he sued the theme park people for millions from a different state because he is a hypocrite.

Edit:

quote:

The death of 10-year-old Caleb Schwab at Schlitterbahn last August was a tragedy beyond comprehension. Who among us can pretend to understand precisely what life has been like for Caleb’s family over these past nine months?

Yet they have somehow survived and persevered, and now they have also extracted a full measure of justice from the responsible parties: the water park, the contractor, the water raft manufacturer and the design consultant.

Yes, the amount of the settlement is both staggering and record-breaking. But forget the exact amountaccording to wiki it was 20 million – what’s important to know is that the Schwabs were able to collect full compensation under the parameters of the law for the wrongful death of their young son. This is all any of us should expect under such circumstances. No amount of money could have replaced Caleb.

What really matters here – what is absolutely crucial to every Kansan – is that we answer the following question: How exactly were the Schwabs – a Kansas family bringing claims for a death sustained on Kansas soil – able to hold the wrongdoers fully accountable for damages utilizing the law of our state?

The answer is that they weren’t.

Our own state’s damages laws abandoned Rep. Scott Schwab, R-Olathe, and his wife in their time of need, just as they have done to countless other deserving victims over the years.

With wrongful death damages in Kansas capped at an astoundingly low sum – $250,000 – it must have been evident to the Schwabs and their attorneys that applying Kansas law would not get them where they needed to go. The tragedy occurred in Kansas, but there would be no justice here.

So when the Schwabs looked to state law for justice, they had to take a road trip down to Texas. Kansas enacted pro-business tort reform measures long ago to convince companies like Schlitterbahn to setup shop here, but Schlitterbahn had still bypassed Kansas and chosen Texas for its headquarters.

The wrongdoers were thus faced with the possibility that a legal loophole of sorts would lead a court to apply Texas damages laws – rather than Kansas laws – which would allow the Schwabs to avoid the unfair $250,000 cap and actually obtain legitimate compensation.

The possibility of having to pay the full amount awarded by a jury – rather than having their liability extinguished with the bang of a gavel – must have been enough to convince these businesses and their insurers to pay with a grimace. This is what we expect to see when tragedy flows from iniquity: the bad guys writing checks that make them hurt as well.

No matter what our laws say about the purpose of compensation, elements of deterrence and accountability accompany most awards – especially in cases that shock the conscience. In Kansas, our damages caps have left our businesses undeterred. There is no accountability here – only more injustices, stacked atop each other like overdue hospital bills.

It’s time to tell our Legislators to get rid of these needless damages caps. The pursuit of justice should not be a tourist activity.

Settlement amount and bolding are mine.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 14, 2020

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Russian Jenga is hardcore.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's so frustrating reading this thread lately. Let's clear up some confusion about names.

This is an elk:

quote:

The word elk is related to the Latin alces, Old Norse elgr, Scandinavian elg/älg and German Elch

This is a wapiti:

quote:

The name wapiti is from the Shawnee and Cree word waapiti, meaning "white rump".

This is a moose:

There is no such thing as a "moose". It's not even a friggin' word. It was always elk but your forefathers were clueless idiots. Stop this nonsense! :mad:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
a moose is made of thousands and thousands of mice, like a hivemind colony, in the shape of an elk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Russians taught me about moose and squirrels as a child, though.