Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Spelunky 2 is out. Want to enjoy multiplayer with us? https://discord.gg/FsWUv2j or put your PS4 screen name in this channel to be added to the friends list[/b]

Derek Yu returns with the long anticipated sequel to Spelunky HD in less than two weeks. The game will debut as a PS4 exclusive with the steam release as of yet unannounced but promised "in a few weeks." This was not enough for me, and I bought my first PS4 today just to get in on the launch date.

The game is set to be absolutely massive, to the point that Yu himself is unaware of all the secrets in the game. This is due to collaboration with BlitWorks, the Spanish company which ported Spelunky HD to PS3 years ago. BlitWorks has a much bigger hand in the development this time, and in fact Spelunky 2 is their first fully developed game in house. The original music composer for Spelunky, Eirik Suhrke, has also returned, and Yu teamed up with Justin Chan (Bugsnax, Nuclear Throne) on artwork.

Online multiplayer, which was sorely missing from the original game, will be in the game on day one. There are many community aspects said to be in the game that touch upon multiplayer, including an in-game lobby.

The game takes place on the moon, but mirrors many parts of the original game, such as starting in the mines. We'll also see the forest and caves, with many familiar foes. Mounts such as turkeys have been seen in every trailer, new items like clone guns (hopefully Kali notice the difference), starting characters with abilities like a crossbow or teleportation, and doubtlessly countless things that have been left in the dark for us to discover.

Spelunky HD was a massive hit that inspired so many games for an entire generation. Many game developers cite it as their favorite game. I myself have poured hundreds of hours into it and am certainly not alone on these forums for that.

The walls are shifting...

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013
I haven't been this excited for a game since La Mulana 2 or they hype I had for Diablo 3. Literally counting the days....

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Goddamn that ocean-looking level looks nice. Fuckin' stoked.

It'll be fun playing this right as it comes out to see people finding secrets. And me probably sucking rear end at it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i just want a pc date

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Stoked beyond belief. Spelunky is just masterful design. I wonder if this one will not have any bloat.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Johnny Joestar posted:

i just want a pc date

this

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

i just want a pc date

I couldn't wait. I played 400+ hours of Spelunky on a keyboard and the transition to a controller which I haven't used in almost a decade is going rough with my runs today

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I know why they wouldn’t but I hate there isn’t a vita version. Splunky was my the most played game on that thing.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
https://twitter.com/mossmouth/status/1301947321291124738

we have our answer

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

this is my most anticipated game in years. Played a bit at two past PAXs where it showed up and it seemed like they were still tinkering with how much of the 'flip-side' level mechanic they wanted to use, but i guess we'll see soon

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

The only games I'm excited for right now are Spelunky 2 and UFO 50, so it's doubly great news that Spelunky 2 is almost here.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
God, I wish it was coming out on PC the same day. Everyone I know who'd maybe be interested in the multiplayer will be on PC but I don't want to wait 2 weeks to play the game. Perhaps I will buy it twice like the brain addled impatient idiot I am.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

thebardyspoon posted:

God, I wish it was coming out on PC the same day. Everyone I know who'd maybe be interested in the multiplayer will be on PC but I don't want to wait 2 weeks to play the game. Perhaps I will buy it twice like the brain addled impatient idiot I am.

I already sunk $299 more than I had to just to play it ASAP

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Spelunky is worth it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I’m going to get the ps4 version and just pick up on steam later when it’s on sale/has cool mods

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress yes spelunkyyyyyyyy

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I remember playing the original free one on a friend's couch in college and getting a 1 million gold run. I've done everything on the HD version except the eggplant run. I absolutely cannot wait for the 15th.

eonwe posted:

gently caress yes spelunkyyyyyyyy

Not empty quoting this.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

If you guys want a goon multiplayer PS4 / steam list in the OP, post your names! I registered StungDead on PS4. When there are a dozen or so I'll update the post so it isn't just my name to start

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

God drat I want this on Switch so bad. I will be checking it out on PC though.

Beating Hell in the original for the first time is one of the most satisfying things I’ve ever done in a video game.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

God drat I want this on Switch so bad. I will be checking it out on PC though.

Beating Hell in the original for the first time is one of the most satisfying things I’ve ever done in a video game.

still trying to get to hell for the first time on a PS4 controller. its been frustrating because i have a 5% winrate with a keyboard and no wins with a controller

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'll probably get it and play with goons. My psn is IneffiableFx

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

hype time for real

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

please let us pc goons know how dope it is :smith:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Can't believe splonky 2 will be out in 25 loving hours

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Reviews are coming out, not that anyone in this thread really needs them but I gave them a read to kill a bit of time and the game sounds like it's pretty good. The word "perfection" is getting bandied about quite a lot.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the original remake was pretty much already rock-solid so unless they made some radical and wildly controversial design decisions with 2 i definitely didn't anticipate the game being bad in any real way

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I am so excited for this one! Never got past Olmec after many tries on 360 after release but started playing again a month ago and have now gotten through 3 times. I want to work on a hell run but it's a significant step up in difficulty... the shopkeepers are dangerous even if you know how they react to you and it's tough to just by an ankh outright also. (I want to buy bombs with my money, all of the bombs, and a cape would be nice too)

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Jolo posted:

I am so excited for this one! Never got past Olmec after many tries on 360 after release but started playing again a month ago and have now gotten through 3 times. I want to work on a hell run but it's a significant step up in difficulty... the shopkeepers are dangerous even if you know how they react to you and it's tough to just by an ankh outright also. (I want to buy bombs with my money, all of the bombs, and a cape would be nice too)

If you learn how to jump into the wall right above them and whip at the right spot, you can pretty much guarantee a head stomp. Pick up their gun and kill them right after. Once you get it down, you'll have tons of free stuff from the first area every run.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Reviews have started coming out... and they're all great so far. So pumped. Does anyone know when you can download this from the PS4 store? Tonight? Tomorrow?

Metacritic

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Hopefully tonight. Though I was a bit annoyed that it wasn't even showing on the PSN store when I checked a few minutes ago. Probably won't be a huge download at least.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Generally on PS4 the games go live at midnight for your region so in like 6 hours in the UK it'll be the 15th. That's with AAA stuff anyway, never really been counting down the hours for indie stuff but I assume it's the same.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Also lol at this part at the bottom of the Polygon article. loving pedant nerds.

"Polygon posted:

Correction: An earlier version of this review called the monsters in the film Tremors “tremors.” They are in fact called graboids. We regret this error.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I remember staying up way late (CST) for Enter the Gungeon on PS4. If I could play tonight at midnight, I'd be ecstatic! Of course, I'll just keep an eye on the thread since some goon will definitely see it go live before me. Sad I can't preorder it yet.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Do people want spoilers enforced here? Is it necessary? I'd rather openly discuss the secrets but we're early here

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's not like it's any real effort to just put spoilery progression stuff in spoiler tags.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I don't feel super strongly about it but it might be good to bring out the spoiler tags for whatever the equivalent of getting to hell is

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

with the branching paths i'd be surprised if there weren't multiple locked end areas

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'm kinda glad it's not coming out on PC for a short bit. Not because I don't want everyone enjoying the game at a release, but because I don't want to see the game datamined and exposed super quickly. That said, there are so many little things I'm still learning about the original game years later. Snake acid spit doesn't set off explosive boxes. I figured it would but it doesn't affect them.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I probably won't even visit this thread again after it's downloaded. I kinda want to be surprised by every little secret and unlock I find. Always be kind to others if you post though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013
Please are saying it's out in Australia and New Zealand now. I'm not sure what that says about other time zone releases though.