Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
While the optimal way to play is definitely having your pawns armored at all times, it feels weird having them all walking around in power armor. I use the https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1316142788 mod, combined with an armory near my gates containing my power armor. Combined with https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1875828205 I can have them run over and get armored up in time to deal with raids. Of course this doesn't help with stuff like drop pod raids, but I like it from a theme perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Note that armor only impedes movement speed, so being power armored only really impacts jobs with loads of consistent movement (hunting, hauling) and things like long term crafting or research, that are entirely stationary, are not bothered by armor.

Or just make your best crafters focus on recon armor for your general population and cataphract for the few needed melee. Excellent recon armor is near equivalent to normal cataphract while having no movement speed penalty. Helmets don't cause issue though, so you can have everyone running cataphract helmets.

Namely I think recon helmets look dumb.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ughhhh posted:

Finally figured out the power of a main entrance with autodoors with a side entrance with twisty hallways lined with traps.

Now to figure out how the hell clothing layering/outfit orders work. Should I have my pawns all in full gear at all times?

You can have everyone in power armor all the time but then you have to be always be gathering plasteel because the armor degrades just from walking around the base. I would say its worth it but it sure has a cost.

Like said above Recon armor is very good to start in. Recon armor is one quality level below marine armor. So a good recon armor is as strong as a normal marine armor. Recon armor is also two levels below Cataphract power armor.

If you can spare it, put everyone in the highest power armor helmet you can. Helmets protect the brain which is very costly to heal.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 14, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

OwlFancier posted:

Last I checked a lot of the upgrades wouldn't be allowed on T1s, T2 minimum. They may have changed it though.

A lot of the nicer upgrades aren't but hydralic limbs and labor limbs are some of the ones that work on T1s.

Edit: I thinnnnk wear and tear degradation from wearing it is something like a 20% chance per day to lose one hit point. Which seems pretty negligible honestly. I think the rate is in the def file though so someoje can check.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 14, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

A lot of the nicer upgrades aren't but hydralic limbs and labor limbs are some of the ones that work on T1s.

Yeah I thought drills were T2 only but if they're T1 that's probably a good thing.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I thought drills were T2 only but if they're T1 that's probably a good thing.

I just checked and I was wrong. Mining arm is T2, however you can install those implant chips into T1s which definitely helps.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
a devilstrand duster, shirt, and flak vest are actually better at protecting a pawn's core than equivalent recon armor and are quite cheap; with constant wear you'll need replacements about once every two years.

you'll still want the best power armor helmet you can get for the head because it's the only thing that protects the face, but power armor hat + devilstrand + flak vest leaves the arms and legs as the only lightly armored bits of the body. which, you know, worst case scenario you can just chrome the arms and legs.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Any way I can transfer a dead t1 androids consciousness to a new body? It was a good researcher that shut down after a faulty coolant pump (Which I couldn't repair even though I kept replacing the part)

also are there better ways of getting resources other than sending mining expeditions using long-range scanners?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I would make a second colony and strip mine the map, transporting materials to my main colony to refine. Though this may be helped by using a mod that allows reusable transportation.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

ughhhh posted:

also are there better ways of getting resources other than sending mining expeditions using long-range scanners?

Make friends with all factions and call them repeatedly for traders and/or go a caravanning.

Better? More just different. Caravanning you can easily clean out all settlements within a few day's journey long before their 30 day shop resets, and there are trader call-in cool downs, but between Bulk Traders from the Outlanders and Shaman Traders from the Tribals, that's a fair source of plasteel, the former also having steel regularly.

Unless you need SOS2 levels of resources, in which case lmao that looks like a massive pile of crap needed and 200 plasteel every few days from regular trading calls seems insufficient.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ughhhh posted:

Any way I can transfer a dead t1 androids consciousness to a new body? It was a good researcher that shut down after a faulty coolant pump (Which I couldn't repair even though I kept replacing the part)

Not if they're already dead as far as I know, but you can make a server and boost up another T1 android to become a good researcher very quickly.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ughhhh posted:

Some insane quests can give thousands of plasteel.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Are people still playing with the Royalty expansion? I'm just coming back to the game after a few months off, I quit my old game when one of my pawns became too high up the royalty tree and it was causing them to not want to do any work and constantly complain. I found it rather tedious for what seemed to be very little benefit.

For what it's worth I really only play vanilla. I have Royalty turned on in my current game I just haven't been taking the mission rewards for titles.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Titled pawns now still do work, even when high up, as long as they're not greedy, jealous, or lazy. Then they get all high and mighty.

My Count was happily making lavish soups for the colony.

Also the Psylinks are absolutely game changing, so if nothing else, you take titles so you can ambush the Bestower and get an extra Psylink, then spend some time making nice with the Empire again before jacking yet another Bestower.

Or just be tribals and build a society around the Anima Tree and build your own Psylinkers.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Murder your king and then just never complete the quest to transfer their title. They did tone down the build me a structure quests and you can set it up so your king's only passions are for shooting and social.

The sick aoe spell is pretty amazing for chokepoints as all the raiders walk around puking.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Coolguye posted:

a devilstrand duster, shirt, and flak vest are actually better at protecting a pawn's core than equivalent recon armor and are quite cheap; with constant wear you'll need replacements about once every two years.

I'd forgotten about the stat values of Devilstrand Dusters and Flak Jackets since the last time I loaded up a game of Rimworld, wound up making some of the latter, and then got confused when my snipers and my one AR-wielding pawn kept their cool-guy poo poo on instead of swapping for the Flak when I had then preparing for a mission. Flak Jackets are more accessible than Excellent-quality Devilstrand gear, so I might make 2-4 in future embarks for more at-risk fighters but never the full set like I did this time.

ughhhh posted:

I picked up a mod years ago which makes orbital traders show up more frequently; they've usually got several grand in silver reserves, and the ones with the most steel and plasteel for sale tend to also buy wood, if you're particularly strapped right at that moment.

Most of them will buy drugs, also art and furniture are fairly in demand. Liquidate that poo poo, in addition to King Corn, and convert it into bulk drops of the metals you need! Trade in general is the only practical way to chrome up your entire colony that I've found.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

I'd forgotten about the stat values of Devilstrand Dusters and Flak Jackets since the last time I loaded up a game of Rimworld, wound up making some of the latter, and then got confused when my snipers and my one AR-wielding pawn kept their cool-guy poo poo on instead of swapping for the Flak when I had then preparing for a mission. Flak Jackets are more accessible than Excellent-quality Devilstrand gear, so I might make 2-4 in future embarks for more at-risk fighters but never the full set like I did this time.
yeah devilstrand is insane. don't forget it also gives loving crazy heat resistance, so you actually can fight in a superheated room without shitloads of damage. it'll still hurt, but you are 100% gonna out-sweat anything short of a mechanoid with devilstrand gear on.

flak jackets and pants are perfectly fine but i really hate how they slow pawns down. i tried to get rid of the flak vest in exchange for the royalty vests and corsets but the protection is worlds apart and when the torso is protecting poo poo like heart, lungs, kidneys...a 0.12 c/s penalty is probably worth it, sad to say.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Trade looks like it's the way to go, now if I could just stop having my muffalos get pregnant all the time...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ughhhh posted:

Trade looks like it's the way to go, now if I could just stop having my muffalos get pregnant all the time...

that's what the bull muffalo are for

like real talk there's a reason why in irl farming, they put oxen (castrated male cattle) on plows and in front of wagons rather than cows. oxen don't get pregnant.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The inability to neuter animals without mods saddens me.

Slay and neuter your muffalos, people! *sara McLaughlin song plays*

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Since animals have to actually physically touch one another to breed, compared to DF's spore breeding, you could keep males and females separated with zones.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Donkeys are the best caravan animals imo (they're the only one whose tameness never degrades, and are the second fastest). They can also be trained to haul like dogs.

Horses are the fastest
Muffallo/Bison give wool
Alpaca give more wool
Camels/yaks give milk
Elephants are combat beasts

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

muffalo are also weirdly more common than any of the others. i've literally never seen any non-extreme climate that does not have an occasional muffalo herd but hell's black breath can it be a pain in the loving rear end to find a donkey sometimes.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Coolguye posted:

muffalo are also weirdly more common than any of the others. i've literally never seen any non-extreme climate that does not have an occasional muffalo herd but hell's black breath can it be a pain in the loving rear end to find a donkey sometimes.

Rimworld: finding donkeys deemed "a pain in the loving rear end"

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The real pack animal answer is download mods so your caravans have chocobos aves to carry your pawns and aurochs bulls/triceratops to carry your stuff.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

silentsnack posted:

Rimworld: finding donkeys deemed "a pain in the loving rear end"

:haw:

You fuckers I'm reinstalling and checking my mods.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

hopeandjoy posted:

The real pack animal answer is download mods so your caravans have chocobos aves to carry your pawns and aurochs bulls/triceratops to carry your stuff.

Extended Pack Animals- Dinosauria.

Just use T-Rexes for everything :colbert:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Zore posted:

Extended Pack Animals- Dinosauria.

Just use T-Rexes for everything :colbert:

Not a big fan of Dinosauria, too many huge animals with good leather.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Coolguye posted:

you'll still want the best power armor helmet you can get for the head because it's the only thing that protects the face, but power armor hat + devilstrand + flak vest leaves the arms and legs as the only lightly armored bits of the body. which, you know, worst case scenario you can just chrome the arms and legs.

So basically a Fallout New Vegas desert ranger's getup? Kind of neat!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Piell posted:

Not a big fan of Dinosauria, too many huge animals with good leather.
I mean, dinosauria is totally broken, sure.

But come on, dinosaurs.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The giant dinosaurs made of good leather will also murder your hunters and are tough enough to shrug off a ridiculous amount of punishment, so even drafted squads hunting can be a dangerous gamble.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oh god drat SoS now has starts?

That derelict station start... :getin:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

I know there's one mod that adds giant gerbils as pack animals.

Leal posted:

Oh god drat SoS now has starts?

That derelict station start... :getin:

I saw that and I saw someone do that and tried it myself. it's a litreal race against time with possible deaths because while you "can" claim the station and everything on it, your pawns will need to travel though hard vacuum repeatedly to do so and there's no guarentee you will be able to leave with all your pawns or even with an intact ship. Your starting location still gets raided by mechanoids and other stuff and the insect hives on the map start active and will take about 5 minutes to reach you and you need to figure out what to dissassemble to make a functional space ship and find the space suits so your pawns can actually leave.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Let's check out what race mods are up since I last played

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009
What's your best RNG events that turned out funny? Some time ago I had random visitor, 'Poopy', past - Grunt. Nothing can go wrong there, right? Poopy went to chill near a prison cell, while prisoner was going berserk and one of colonists on full time duty fixing the door. Poopy decided to be the hero - opened the door, of course, prisoner attacked the colonist fixing the door, thankfully 'Poopy' managed to melee the prisoner down with his revolver

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Everyone was exhausted from a huge mechanoid cluster. Someone had a mental break and it was jail break in which they caused 10 prisoners to start a jailbreak.

Another reason to cut the legs off prisoners.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've had a few colonists "give up" and I've reacted by having a bunch of other colonists beat them until they can't walk and then I just "rescue" them. I think that's kind of amusing, these poor pawns just get sick of living here and when they try to leave they just wind up in sick bay for a bit with a bunch of broken bones

You can check out any time you like but you can never leave

I consistently get enjoyment out of big manhunter packs. If a mechanoid cluster lands on my map I'll just leave it alone unless I have an urgent reason to clear it out, and then once a manhunting pack shows up I lead it into the mechanoids and see how many robots can be killed by 50 ducks

I recently did a quest where you have to defend a crashed shuttle and 2 of the raiders had doomsday rocket launchers. I used a jetback to get 1 pawn in range to hit each with an insanity lance then jetpacked back out. The cool thing about this is psychotic people do not give a poo poo about collateral damage, they're happy to just fire their rocket at the person standing right next to them within a group of 20 raiders. So each of these dudes just took out a big cluster of raiders and the survivors immediately tried to flee

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

And did you know that the vanilla game has loving capes and berets now? I am so excited

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

vanilla game has loving capes and wizard hats now? I am so excited

That I can get behind :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I've had a few colonists "give up" and I've reacted by having a bunch of other colonists beat them until they can't walk and then I just "rescue" them. I think that's kind of amusing, these poor pawns just get sick of living here and when they try to leave they just wind up in sick bay for a bit with a bunch of broken bones

You can check out any time you like but you can never leave
You can arrest and immediately release them too for a similar effect. Upside no recovery time, downside they get a "was imprisoned" mood debuff for a week. Which is more useful probably depends on how much of the colony is presently on fire. :v: