Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
When do i want to be building structures? I feel like my money is going on mercs when I'm little to help expand and then is going on titles when im bigger, let alone men at arms and events and hiring people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Tiger Millionaire posted:

When do i want to be building structures? I feel like my money is going on mercs when I'm little to help expand and then is going on titles when im bigger, let alone men at arms and events and hiring people.

Generally I like to build structures once my realm is stable and everyone either loves or fears my ruler, but only in my capital city. Just so whoever ends up taking over after I die has a little more to work with in case of immediate rebellion.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The best time to build structures is when you get a ruler that can go deep into the middle stewardship tree. It will reduce costs and time for everything, even holdings, and in general save you a ton of money, so it's worth trying to set up a ruler for that at some point if you get the chance.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Does anyone have a sense yet of which men at arms are particularly good? Are any particularly lovely? In other words, is there an equivalent in CK3 to CK2's god-tier longbowmen or cataphracts?

The fact that you get bonuses to men at arms from buildings makes me kind of hesitant to branch out into different types. I've built a few of the buildings that provide bonuses to light horsemen, so I've been just using those for my men at arms. I don't love how much you seem to be able to stack the building bonuses, since I know that's just going to stress me out about building suboptimal men at arms.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Does anyone have a sense yet of which men at arms are particularly good? Are any particularly lovely? In other words, is there an equivalent in CK3 to CK2's god-tier longbowmen or cataphracts?

The fact that you get bonuses to men at arms from buildings makes me kind of hesitant to branch out into different types. I've built a few of the buildings that provide bonuses to light horsemen, so I've been just using those for my men at arms. I don't love how much you seem to be able to stack the building bonuses, since I know that's just going to stress me out about building suboptimal men at arms.

IMO Pikemen and Armoured Footmen seem to body everything with enough bonuses. Pikemen hard counter both cavalry types, which tend to be the highest statted MAA the AI fields, while Armored Infantry have good combat stats. The important thing is that Pikemen and Armored Footmen both benefit from the same building line, so they naturally complement each other. Later on I added some Crossbowmen to counter enemy Archers, and while Light Footmen are a pest, I had enough raw numbers in terms of both MAA and their stats that their counter effect didn't really matter.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah it seems like the strategy is just completely specialize in one line and build all the buildings you can for that?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Thoughts on letting various powerful vassals be sanctioned to declare war? I liked it when they would just casually take over the niggling little nearby territories for themselves and I didn't have to go through the hassle of constantly declaring war when I can't hold anymore demesne. Or is it just too annoying if they keep declaring internal war?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

My god given right as queen is ensuring that the borders stay pretty. Letting vassals war interferes with this right.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Considering that levies are garbage, the only thing I care about from my vassals is that they don't lose land and that they give me all the money. Hell yes you can have no levy tax and scutage, just take these extortionate taxes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Would vassal war make this prettier or worse

(I hate that Toro kingdom shape so much, it's somehow snaked into four different de jure Kingdoms? Also Kel Wi is that kingdom I took, a reminder that their core kingdom (Darfur) isn't even shown here it's on the far eastern side of the empire)

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I found out one of my vassals has killed not one but two of his kin, but apparently that's not good enough reason to revoke his titles without tyranny? What kind of crime would make that eligible? I tried both converting the secret to a hook and exposing it, but it is still an act of tyranny, apparently.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's a crime, so you can probably imprison him. Of if you have a claim on his county you should be able to take it without tyranny.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I can't imprison him either, for some reason. I'm Catholic, so it's criminal, but when I go to imprison him it shows that it is an act of tyranny. He doesn't have that little ball-and-chain icon on his portrait that you get for doing a crime, but he does have the trait "kinslayer".

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I wish there were a way to negotiate vassal-to-vassal transfers of titles and vassals, even use some diplomatic weighting system for fair deals. Seems like that would be completely reasonable and shouldn't be out of line for the feudal political system

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
love to disinherit my youngest and send my two eldest idiot sons off to war to die gloriously, all to make room for their handsome genius little brother's ascent to the throne only to have him become a leper while i'm on death's door

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jeza posted:

Thoughts on letting various powerful vassals be sanctioned to declare war? I liked it when they would just casually take over the niggling little nearby territories for themselves and I didn't have to go through the hassle of constantly declaring war when I can't hold anymore demesne. Or is it just too annoying if they keep declaring internal war?

Always full war but also always partition! :D
Give them even more of an incentive to blob away without ever becoming particularly powerful because of it.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

A God drat Ghost posted:

I can't imprison him either, for some reason. I'm Catholic, so it's criminal, but when I go to imprison him it shows that it is an act of tyranny. He doesn't have that little ball-and-chain icon on his portrait that you get for doing a crime, but he does have the trait "kinslayer".

he may have already bought an indulgance or whatever i forget if catholic has that

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The game is complaining about me being above my direct vassal limit at 64/60, so I granted a bunch of vassals to some of my other vassals. But I'm still at 64/60? Why won't it move?

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

A God drat Ghost posted:

I found out one of my vassals has killed not one but two of his kin, but apparently that's not good enough reason to revoke his titles without tyranny? What kind of crime would make that eligible? I tried both converting the secret to a hook and exposing it, but it is still an act of tyranny, apparently.

I think I figured it out - he killed his brothers, and under Catholicism "Kinslayers are Criminals in the eyes of their Dynasty" and he's not in my dynasty, so to me, he's not a criminal, I guess. Which is extremely dumb.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Gobblecoque posted:

While I'm not entirely sure exactly how it works, I can confidently say this is not true. In my Daura run my ruler was always a woman and was always the dynasty head with the dynasty having no cadet branches.

Maybe it's female-line in her case? Just following the gender preference of the title, plus primogeniture. Because IME with male tribal rulers it's definitely every first son even if you end up playing a brother or cousin or something, and it's totally out of your hands until you feudalize

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Lovers Pox is the worst, is there any way to get rid of it?

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
if its just 1 person it can be treated by a physician and can eventually go away. But if more people in his household have it, then the pox will be with him until the grave

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Figures, my current ruler had when I got him, and he had already spread it to his wife, so RIP I guess. I just hate that it makes you look like a zombie.

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The game is complaining about me being above my direct vassal limit at 64/60, so I granted a bunch of vassals to some of my other vassals. But I'm still at 64/60? Why won't it move?

It's buggy, I noticed that too. If you wait long enough it will go away - I think the counter resets about once a year.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Vikings are out of control in my game. I'm the Duke of Barcelona, I'm French as all heck, and I worship Odin. The only major Catholic nations left are Lotharingia, Burgundy, and Venice. Every other major western crown is held by the Norse.

The map is covered in Norse inheritance nonsense border gore. The muslims are gone from Iberia, that's all just Norse nations. There are no more anglo-saxons in the British isles, it's all Norse. The Norse kingdom of Italy has lands in Spain, Britain, the Baltic, and Italy itself.

I converted to the Norse faith not too long ago. Two generations in a row, the Pope decided that my Duchess and Duke were his rivals and excommunicated them. Then the king of West Francia arrested me for it. One murdered king and war later, I gained my independence. I quickly swore allegiance to the king of Sweden before he could eat my nation, he then asked me to convert so I converted and started killing Catholics. Now I'm a vassal of the king of West Francia again, but this time he's a viking. I'm not sure if I should just archive this mess, or try to dig my way out. It's looking like endless war at this point though. This game was supposed to be my chill side game where I was a family of eugenics practicing priests.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Are we sure the exclave rule is actually working? I know naval range generosity is loving with it, clearly, but drat if I don't see random counties still popping up under the control of some massive empire a continent away

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

That display is super slow to update, the count you see when you click your character is accurate

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Even playing as the vikings, the border gore is disgusting. Just look at this mess. My empire has provinces on the coast of Africa (inside Mali there), in Italy, around the Black Sea, around the Caspian Sea, opposite the Arabian Peninsula, and the tip of India. Every time I look at the map a new exclave has materialized somewhere ridiculous.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

toasterwarrior posted:

Are we sure the exclave rule is actually working? I know naval range generosity is loving with it, clearly, but drat if I don't see random counties still popping up under the control of some massive empire a continent away

Apparently it only works for independent rulers. If a king's vassal conquers some poo poo at the other side of the map, it won't break apart.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Apparently it only works for independent rulers. If a king's vassal conquers some poo poo at the other side of the map, it won't break apart.

This can't be working as intended.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I wonder how much of this distant exclave nonsense is the result of being able to teleport all your armies all the way across the world for free. The game is even worse then CK2 in that respect, in that game you could teleport vassal levies if they held a county in the target area, but only that vassal, and not your own troops. Now you can just teleport everything

Case in point, this is what scandinavia turned into in my last game. The papacy started out as a small inheritance by the duke of spoleto, a few counties, and then it grew to this. I imagine part of the problem is that the locals up here are having to fight against 10,000 man armies teleporting all the way up from Italy, so the pope can easily just keep blobbing up here.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I'm still surprised at those 3 tiny lakes in sweden having their water plane at the incorrect height.
You'd think with the heavy sweden focus of the devs, they'd have fixed the couple hosed up lakes in their back yard.
(North of 'Bohemia', south of 'Norway')

I feel like I've seen that error consistently in screenshots by other people.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
One small thing that's been increasingly annoying me is that you really ought to be able to select the target of a war on the map the same way you can select counties on the map when handing them out.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

SubNat posted:

I'm still surprised at those 3 tiny lakes in sweden having their water plane at the incorrect height.
You'd think with the heavy sweden focus of the devs, they'd have fixed the couple hosed up lakes in their back yard.
(North of 'Bohemia', south of 'Norway')

I feel like I've seen that error consistently in screenshots by other people.

First CK game I have put hours in but I believe that the map is not accurate

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

First CK game I have put hours in but I believe that the map is not accurate

incorrect as in the water is clipping through the terrain, and floating above it as a hovering rectangle. Aka a graphical bug.
Not incorrect as in they're wrong compared to a modern map.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
It might be that I'm defending a lot of territory and relying on allies but constantly chasing enemy armies down Harry Hill style suuuucks. It was bad in CK2 but now enemy armies can become boats it's infuriating.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Walton Simons posted:

It might be that I'm defending a lot of territory and relying on allies but constantly chasing enemy armies down Harry Hill style suuuucks. It was bad in CK2 but now enemy armies can become boats it's infuriating.

Yeah it seems like every Paradox game has this problem and it would be so simple for them to just have a "chase" order for when you don't really care about where you fight someone, you just want them dead. Stellaris has it!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Achievements seem buggy. I started as Ivar the Boneless and conquered all of the British Isles by my 4th ruler... every single county... and it didn't pop. It also doesn't show up under the 'possible' list. Bummer.

I could easily conquer the rest of the world at this point. Vikings with... elephants are unstoppable.

This save is wrapped though. Also gonna take a break from this game altogether... it's really fun but swallowed my whole weekend.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This doesn't seem true, because the French exclave in Gloucester in my game (owned by the Duke of Flanders when he inherited it from Scotland) went independent via the exclave rule (or at least it looked like the exclave rule, they all went independent at once and there wasn't a war) after I landlocked it by conquering the two French coastal counties in York.

I think the main thing is that ANY naval path is enough for an exclave to stay attached on all settings, no matter how long, and also there's no range limit on Vikings using the conquest CB on coastal provinces (specifically Vikings, anyone else can only use it on land or sea neighbours).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ultrachrist posted:

Achievements seem buggy. I started as Ivar the Boneless and conquered all of the British Isles by my 4th ruler... every single county... and it didn't pop. It also doesn't show up under the 'possible' list. Bummer.

I could easily conquer the rest of the world at this point. Vikings with... elephants are unstoppable.

This save is wrapped though. Also gonna take a break from this game altogether... it's really fun but swallowed my whole weekend.

Apparently there's an issue with achievements where it doesn't track them in your save, so an achievement that requires starting with a particular ruler won't work unless you do it all in one sitting.