Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think Duncan Idaho stands out too because his name/presence really harkens back to earlier sci-fi tropes. So much of Dune feels truly novel and without obvious precedent, but Duncan is this very overt nod to a more youth-oriented sci-fi that dominated the genre before Dune. George Lucas littered Star Wars with things that felt straight out of John Carter or Flash Gordon so no particular element stood out, but Duncan is sort of this lone element in Dune that almost feels plucked out from some other story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's jarring that "Idaho" would have any meaning 15,000 years from now, since it barely has any today.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

moths posted:

It's jarring that "Idaho" would have any meaning 15,000 years from now, since it barely has any today.

Well you can just imagine something insane happened in the state of Idaho in the year 2300 that rendered it important across tens of thousands of years.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

In its defense, it'll probably be a popular seafront coastal state within 100 years.

:smith:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I’m pretty sure I read that Villeneuve has already been guaranteed that he’ll get to make part 2.

That makes sense, I highly doubt he would have agreed to this if he couldn't even finish the story.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

moths posted:

In its defense, it'll probably be a popular seafront coastal state within 100 years.

:smith:

lol, it's 5000 ft. above sea level, what do you think is gonna happen, Europa crashing into the Earth or something?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

moths posted:

I expect that the first movie would end with Beast Rabban getting replaced with Feyd, since it'll look like a victory but then oops no.

That reminds me, we didn't see any Piter de Vries in the trailer. I think that's the only major character with a known casting that didn't show up.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Duncan Idaho would fit nicely on this list:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Duncan Idaho sounds like a lesser punchline to the whole BigMcLargeHuge running gag from MST3K

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I get a horribly generic vibe from the trailer. I dislike the way it's cut, the way it looks. The way it dwells on and on on that YA protagonist mumble. The worm is awesome, and I like many aspects of the production design. I hope, and even suspect, that the movie will feel quite different

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

got off on a technicality posted:

I get a horribly generic vibe from the trailer. I dislike the way it's cut, the way it looks. The way it dwells on and on on that YA protagonist mumble. The worm is awesome, and I like many aspects of the production design. I hope, and even suspect, that the movie will feel quite different

hulud, same

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

moths posted:

15000 years from now it no longer refers to the state, and instead is a phrase in future vernacular that means “It is I, the prostitute”

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

That makes sense, I highly doubt he would have agreed to this if he couldn't even finish the story.
He said so explicitly

“I would not agree to make this adaptation of the book with one single movie,” says Villeneuve. “The world is too complex. It’s a world that takes its power in details.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/collider.com/dune-two-movies-sequel-explained-reason-why-denis-villeneuve/%3famp

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

phasmid posted:

Gonna commit Dune sacrilege here by stating that Duncan Idaho is not that important of a character.

Don't come at me about the Scattering.

I agree, but if you're going to turn dune into an action movie you need to expand the action and Duncan Idaho is the best way to go that.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

bawfuls posted:

He said so explicitly

“I would not agree to make this adaptation of the book with one single movie,” says Villeneuve. “The world is too complex. It’s a world that takes its power in details.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/collider.com/dune-two-movies-sequel-explained-reason-why-denis-villeneuve/%3famp

I read that as meaning they let him split the story into two films, not necessarily that there's any guarantee he gets to make the second regardless of the performance of the first.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Since they didn’t shoot two movies at once there is no guarantee. They could have promised him they’d make both and the studio would still find a way to bail on the second movie if they really wanted to.

The quotes and news just mean a second film is as likely as it can be under the circumstances.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
It actually means exactly the same thing as now and he gets the same people who think they're the funniest gently caress that ever lived with their potato jokes.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

Duncan Idaho just stands out as a little too normal amongst all the names like Feyd and Harkonnen and Gurney Halleck.

Gurney Halleck to me is similar to Duncan Idaho. It makes me think of cargo culture. Cause just FYI for ppl wondering, a gurney is a wheeled stretcher they use in hospitals.

Thufir Hawat is a funky rear end name though that's for sure.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I’m surprised the movie didn’t combine Duncan and Gurney into a single character. They barely make sense as individuals in the book, but it feels like one character too many without enough differentiation for a film. I remember when reading Dune for the first time getting constantly tripped up between the two characters- there just doesn’t seem to be a narrative reason for both to exist.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1305523579249995777?s=20

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They might have avoided it just for an eye towards if this succeeds enough to make the sequels - they cast someone as Duncan, a relatively minor role in the actual Dune 1 book, with an appropriate star to be a main character in a high-profile sequel, after all. (Although to be fair that describes just about all of the cast). Combining the characters would've caused problems further down the line.

Also, killing Idaho helps with the scale of destruction of the initial loss - otherwise the only major character you lose when Atreides falls is Leto himself.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 14, 2020

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Can't wait for the Funko Pop Sandworm.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Cacator posted:

is nothing sacred :gonk:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

It actually means exactly the same thing as now and he gets the same people who think they're the funniest gently caress that ever lived with their potato jokes.

All fantasy epics have to include a taters scene

More important than Wilhelm screams

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MikeJF posted:

They might have avoided it just for an eye towards if this succeeds enough to make the sequels - they cast someone as Duncan, a relatively minor role in the actual Dune 1 book, with an appropriate star to be a main character in a high-profile sequel, after all. (Although to be fair that describes just about all of the cast). Combining the characters would've caused problems further down the line.

Also, killing Idaho helps with the scale of destruction of the initial loss - otherwise the only major character you lose when Atreides falls is Leto himself.

I don't mind them not be combined (even as someone that does think Duncan is extraneous in Dune itself), but I do hope they're able to differentiate them a bit more. No joke the way the previous adaptations went I think I almost think I'd ditch Thufir before Duncan or Gurney. With the latter two you can differentiate them with Duncan being a sort of dashing infiltration person and Gurney being a more hulking combat master person. The book sort of does this anyway with Gurney always sounding scarred up, haggard, not quite perfect posture from all battle he's been through, etc. Honestly going by the book I would have cast Bautista as Gurney instead of Rabban.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You need Thufir for the drama of refusing to attack Paul at the end.

And if they’re following the book more closely, to scrap with Jessica to show how she was distrusted

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

And if they’re following the book more closely, to scrap with Jessica to show how she was distrusted

Keep the internal monologues from the Lynch version but have them all be about how they don't trust Jessica

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Oh yeah if they actually include all the Thufir stuff that would be great! I am interested to see what the character would be like as I like him quite a bit in the book, but both the Lynch movie and the sci-fi series (the latter especially) didn't really do a whole lot with him. Which sounds weird when the Lynch movie added the whole cat milking poison cure thing but he feels like a non-character in both.

At the same time I feel like a lot of the reads people have on Thufir could apply to Leto himself, i.e., Thufir is a spymaster extraordinaire but he's old and gone a little soft, if a hypothetical Thufir of even just ten years ago was in the movie the Atreides might have not even been destroyed so soundly or/and some elegant way to quickly expose the Baron and Emperor's bullshit to the rest of the houses would have been executed, or he would have busted Yueh so that the plan wouldn't even be able to happen, etc.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jewmanji posted:

I’m surprised the movie didn’t combine Duncan and Gurney into a single character. They barely make sense as individuals in the book, but it feels like one character too many without enough differentiation for a film. I remember when reading Dune for the first time getting constantly tripped up between the two characters- there just doesn’t seem to be a narrative reason for both to exist.

It all part of the Arthuriana/Matters of France thing Atreides have going on. They're a noble house of gallant knights right out of Camelot or Charlemagne's paladins, and colorful characters like Duncan and Gurney are supposed to emphasize that. They're like Roland or Ogier and the like.

This all plays into the whole thing with Duke Leto being betrayed in his appointed duty of ruling Arrakis and his son Paul instead falling in with the Fremen and waging a Jihad.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cacator posted:

https://twitter.com/OriginalFunko/status/1305517954600235009?s=20

No Sandworm ... Yet

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Is there a point where there will a version of this thread with spoiler tags or do we assume everyone and their (reverend) mother knows what happens in Dune?

Edit: Funko continues to be a soulless piece of merchandise, not even giving blue eyes to Stilgar.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 14, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/penguinusa/status/1305576850064801792?s=20

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

hope someone sets it up with a post it note sticking out that continues the title as DUNCan Idaho's Bogus Journey

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Davros1 posted:

No Sandworm ... Yet

It's a build a figure. Collect all 128 and make a sandworm the size of your apartment!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I see all the merchandisers are "Jason Momoa's in this? Well, he's gotta be a main character, obviously. Better make a figure of him in the first wave."

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Wait so did Brian Herbert just write a scene from the movie into the original Dune or something? How weird.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jewmanji posted:

Wait so did Brian Herbert just write a scene from the movie into the original Dune or something? How weird.

Considering everything else he's done to the franchise that's pretty minor.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I'd hope that the word scene is just an awkward way of saying that the cover is a still from the film?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Where are you seeing Brian's name in this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I’m just guessing. Maybe someone else contributed? Just seems so weird to add a scene like that (I say this as an intolerable Lucas apologist)