Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Good news: Primal is getting a second season. Bad News: Venture Bros. is getting cancelled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Oh, canceled canceled? I thought it was a "next season is the last" thing.

I guess now I can finally watch the whole series. Kinda fell out after season 3.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Oh, canceled canceled? I thought it was a "next season is the last" thing.

I guess now I can finally watch the whole series. Kinda fell out after season 3.

Kind of sucks, the months long delay in the reveal means they probably didn't find any other company to produce the final season.

Some of the S1/2 material definitely didn't help; I'm pretty sure even the creators have admitted it aged extremely poorly. Kind of the problem with a active show 16 years later that did a lot of "edgy" humor.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 8, 2020

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

They had written a fair amount of what would have been season 8 before the cancellation came down

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What did they do between creating seasons, because that seems like a lot of downtime.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

What did they do between creating seasons, because that seems like a lot of downtime.

Basically create the season, from what I understand it was a 2-person team and all that downtime was just a lot of preparing

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
one of the creators ended up moving from NYC to LA for television work. the other guy's health fell out from under him and he was paralyzed for a while, but he's been recovering some. both of them were generally busy with other creative work and a show as well crafted as venture bros takes a long time to write

on any other network they'd have been forced to write faster with less quality to produce more content, or they'd have been canceled long ago. my theory for why they made 7 seasons in 17 years and were able to keep coming back was because the guy who created and ran adult swim was a big fan of the show, even getting a cameo where he was murdered by the OSI on a golf course. but that guy retired so venture bros didn't have a powerful patron anymore. that and adult swim, owned by cartoon network, owned by warner entertainment, is now owned by at&t, and there's been a giant shakeup in terms of streamlining media production. a show as weird and rare as venture brothers was doomed

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Didn't Jackson Publick do some writing for the new Tick series?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

cartoons123 posted:

Basically create the season, from what I understand it was a 2-person team and all that downtime was just a lot of preparing

They've said in the past making a season burns them out a bit so they like to take a step back and work on other stuff to let the creative juices replenish/can stomach thinking about the characters again/have a story worth telling.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

God damnit! 2020's body count just keeps rising. Hopefully somebody like HBO Max will pick up the rights and do a final season at some point.

cartoons123 posted:

It's also my understanding that VB is something of a side-project they do in-between other work.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It's also a tiny as gently caress team that tries to be quality on a budget so it takes a lot of time to make it work.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

There's some noise on Twitter that HBO Max is in talk to pick up the series and future seasons. Hasn't been officially confirmed at this point though.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Warbird posted:

There's some noise on Twitter that HBO Max is in talk to pick up the series and future seasons. Hasn't been officially confirmed at this point though.

Makes sense since The Boondocks was picked up for HBO Max.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah HBO Max has been picking up a lot of Cartoon Network shows, only makes sense they'd branch further into Adult Swim.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/C_A_P_/status/1305273998452961280

Looks like the Ren and Stimpy show got shelveo. Probably due to massive backlash

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I got around to watching that Harvey Birdman Attourney General special. Is it bad or am I crazy?

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Warbird posted:

I got around to watching that Harvey Birdman Attourney General special. Is it bad or am I crazy?

The cracks were visible in the final season but yeah it was kinda weak.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

S2 of Tigtone continues to be completely hilarious. Especially the second episode this week "Tigtone and the Demon Maze" where Tigtone is placed in a maze where he is not allowed to kill anyone.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

The insane energy and brutal stupidity of Tigtone is something else man. The ending of the third episode with Helpy getting some kissy action with those disturbing fuzz things while Tigtone looks on disapprovingly ... just sublime.

It's hard to describe why the show is so good but it slays me.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Tigtone is blocked in the country I'm in, and it makes me sad. :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I've been wondering about season 2. In the premiere KingQueen said that Prince Lavender was secretly the son of Amothedeus but I'm wondering if he isn't actually the son of Lord Festus. Mainly because when his powers manifested he didn't get the traditional beard and robes (like Tigtone did when he became a wizard) but instead wears something similar to Lord Festus' clothes.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It seems Ducktales is back from its hiatus. It’s still very good, but you all know that.

I do really appreciate that in the latest episode one of the characters acknowledges the inherent weirdness and existential horror that is there being regular rear end birds, more specifically ducks, in this world. It’s just a quick little gag that isn’t called our specifically, but I appreciates it more for it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
That reminds me of a Spongebob joke where a building was on fire and a character says "wait, aren't we under water?" And then the fire goes out.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Or extremely similar to this Gumball joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVlOwGRJGUI

Warbird
May 23, 2012

What’s better is that the joke isn’t necessarily a joke from a character perspective as the person being progressively freaked out is not a native of the duck world and isn’t a bird person.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I guess it's weird in the same way an alien would be confused to see us next to a monkey.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Warbird posted:

It seems Ducktales is back from its hiatus. It’s still very good, but you all know that.

I do really appreciate that in the latest episode one of the characters acknowledges the inherent weirdness and existential horror that is there being regular rear end birds, more specifically ducks, in this world. It’s just a quick little gag that isn’t called our specifically, but I appreciates it more for it.

Btw, there's a Ducktales thread

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Primal’s back and still fuckin rad as hell

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Hell yeah. I cannot wait for next week's episode.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

Dude made gawt dayum brass knucks out if bugs lmao

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Primal fuckin rules. Those are my complex thoughts on the matter.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I am 100% onboard with Caveman & T-rex VS Spooky Celtic Pagan Cult.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hell yeah. I cannot wait for next week's episode.

I think next week’s episode is the one that aired back on April Fool’s Day? It’s listed as episode 7 on Wiki and my tracker app anyway.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

I think next week’s episode is the one that aired back on April Fool’s Day? It’s listed as episode 7 on Wiki and my tracker app anyway.

Yeah, it's the zombie one. It's a good episode.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Man, that Star Trek show just kinda was like "season done" at episode 10.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Anora posted:

Man, that Star Trek show just kinda was like "season done" at episode 10.
I gave it a shot watching one episode and was turned off.
Is it worth sticking with it?

I like Rick & Morty, I like Star Trek. I didn't necessarily like them mashed up together...

EDIT: vvvvv Gotcha. It's just that the first episode was SO very R&M (tons of slapstick violence and edgy gags) that I was groaning from the wasted potential of having a real Star Trek show (aside from The Orville). Unlike R&M though, I didn't laugh at any of the jokes. I'm hoping it was just a bad premiere.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 11, 2020

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

I gave it a shot watching one episode and was turned off.
Is it worth sticking with it?

I like Rick & Morty, I like Star Trek. I didn't necessarily like them mashed up together...

It's not Rick & Morty, by the end of the first season a great number of us think it's the best Trek since DS9 seriously.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

It's not Rick & Morty, by the end of the first season a great number of us think it's the best Trek since DS9 seriously.

Because of stuff like the Orion space pirate joke?

Sorry, I've only seen the ascension episode, but when I read the Star Trek thread and see stuff like that suggested to be the show's high points, then it just sounds like fanwank tbh.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Because of stuff like the Orion space pirate joke?

Sorry, I've only seen the ascension episode, but when I read the Star Trek thread and see stuff like that suggested to be the show's high points, then it just sounds like fanwank tbh.

It sounds like you are already looking for reasons to dislike it so yes you should avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

It sounds like you are already looking for reasons to dislike it so yes you should avoid it.

Unfortunately not.

I have noticed that I've been getting angrier about stuff recently, I dunno, maybe it's a corona thing. Or maybe I'm just incredibly bad at being forthright, or communicating in general. Who the gently caress knows.

I don't really watch a lot of Star Trek, and what I've enjoyed hasn't really matched up with the dominant feelings of the thread on this forum, the few times I've dipped into it. I liked, mostly, the first season of Disco. Disliked, mostly, the second. Didn't really like The Orville, which I found kitsch and trad.

I dislike it when shows -- or media generally -- basically eats itself alive. I enjoy things when they're trying to do something new and different, and I respect ambition, and what I think of as complexity. Which is, of course, subjective.

Would I like this show?