Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
FWIW I've gotten some Choice steaks at Costco that had really good marbling. Like noticeably better marbling of the same grade than at the supermarket. :shrug:

Prime is worth it if you wanna go whole hog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Isn’t it better to just look at it? Unless there are a bunch of cysts on the underside the quality should be fairly apparent.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I really like the flank steak for pho, or carne asada or fajitas or whatever, the costco stuff always has really nice marbling and is basically the same price you'll pay for a random lovely cut at the grocery store

the brisket at $3 or $3.50/lb is a fantastic deal although you have to buy the whole primal, you can get like three nice pieces out of it and freeze two of them

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 14, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Paul MaudDib posted:

I really like the flank steak for pho, or carne asada or fajitas or whatever, the costco stuff always has really nice marbling and is basically the same price you'll pay for a random lovely cut at the grocery store

the brisket is a good deal although you have to buy the whole primal, you can get like three nice pieces out of it and freeze two of them

I got that Brisket for my last party. Money well spent, I felt like a king with two trays of sliced Brisket. A meat I usually only get a few slices of for $10 and I had enough to eat until I was absolutely sick of it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

Maybe this is heresy but what is the worst thing you've bought at Costco?

I tried these and was so disappointed I threw most of them away rather then try to eat them.

The instead was dry and almost tasteless, the pastry outside crumbled and flaked like a stale croissant, and trying to warm them up in the microwave to soften them just made it worse. Each pie being like 400 calories was also enough for me to pass on them 100%.

Those Kam Yen Jan Chinese Style Sausages made me throw away an otherwise good meal. The ones at my local asian food market have me spoiled. These had a horrible grainy texture and I have no idea what they used instead of fat.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
s korean peeps eat more ramen than americans

not per capita, total

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gravitee posted:

I do the same thing, I bought two packs of three Prime steaks this week, split into two each and freeze them. We have them for Sunday dinner about once a month and it's spoiled me for any other store bought steak.

They really are just so much better quality then regular grocer steaks. I tried to go back to a decent price Stater's ribeye and it was like chewing gristle the entire time.

Do you vacuum seal and freeze? I haven't bought and stored them like that I just buy a pack of prime ribeyes and eat steak for dinner for 2-3 nights once a month.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

pentyne posted:

I tried these and was so disappointed I threw most of them away rather then try to eat them.

The instead was dry and almost tasteless, the pastry outside crumbled and flaked like a stale croissant, and trying to warm them up in the microwave to soften them just made it worse. Each pie being like 400 calories was also enough for me to pass on them 100%.

A common reaction to mooncakes.

400 calories is pretty light for a mooncake tbh, they're usually like a thousand each. They are the most calorie dense things I've ever seen.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
do what prc peeps do and eat mooncakes that some drat food chemists have whacked away proper at to make them less despairnugget. starbucks or kfc brand for the humor value

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

pentyne posted:

Maruchan Spicy Chicken Yakisoba.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
From a couple pages ago, but

quote:

Costco Fanfiction

:bravo:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

bob dobbs is dead posted:

do what prc peeps do and eat mooncakes that some drat food chemists have whacked away proper at to make them less despairnugget. starbucks or kfc brand for the humor value

I thought Chinese people don’t actually eat very much mooncake; a ton of people buy it for the festival but it all gets passed around like their version of fruitcake. At least that’s what I heard on some radio show.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can I just buy one? Maybe not the right question for the Costco thread

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is it possible to freeze steaks without loving them up, if you don't have a vacuum sealer? We have large and small ziploc bags.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

redreader posted:

Is it possible to freeze steaks without loving them up, if you don't have a vacuum sealer? We have large and small ziploc bags.

you can get a decent vacuum seal by immersing the bag in water to force all the air out.

if you look up "sous vide water displacement method" there's lots of info on it, but its pretty simple

you put the steak in a regular zip loc bag and close it almost all the way, and push the air out, then you slowly immerse the bag in water and let the water pressure push the air out, all the way up to the top and then seal it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

I thought Chinese people don’t actually eat very much mooncake; a ton of people buy it for the festival but it all gets passed around like their version of fruitcake. At least that’s what I heard on some radio show.

yes, except for the artificial processed stuff which is legit tasty in the standard artificial processed way and enough demand that you hve to preorder it

buy artificial and processed today, because the natural stuff tastes like crap

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
successful fusillades in the war against despairnugget moon cakes that i know of:

- put some pot in em (not recommended actually inside an asian polity)
- make em ice cream
- if the innards can be whipped or aerated in any way, whip them
- soak them in liquor like the anglos do w their own despair holiday confections
- just go have some mochi instead lol

also warming up shortcrust in a microwave sucks, convection oven is best, ordinary toaster oven in a pinch

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 14, 2020

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

redreader posted:

You can just use Saran/plastic wrap, as long as you do it properly. Lay the wrap out on the counter first, then the meat on top of it, and use the weight of the meat with the tension of the wrap to seal everything tightly. You want to do this once or twice in each direction, but it works a charm. I rely on it personally and professionally and I’ve never noticed a problem (but I’ve also never frozen anything longer than 3 or 4 months, so ymmv depending on your usage). The technique is called cater-wrapping, I’m sure there’s a YouTube or two on it.
As a note, the extra-wide extra-thick plastic wrap sold at the ‘co is perfect for this usage. As always, PBUC.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I heard somewhere to put a layer of foil after you saran wrap it, then put it all into a ziplock bag.

I don't remember what the foil is supposed to do but I've never had a problem with the setup. I don't freeze steaks for more than 2-3 months though, we usually just eat them all right away.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you're going to freeze for more than 3 or 4 months get a vacuum sealer.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, does Costco sell a good vacuum sealer?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

david_a posted:

I lived in China for four years and I am one of the two people I know who likes (some) mooncakes. The other person is also American.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

pentyne posted:

Foodsaver was recently on sale might still have some at normal price. It’s pretty amazing, I use it all the time.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

pentyne posted:

Yeah, you just missed a big sale on it though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Bibliotechno Music posted:

You can just use Saran/plastic wrap, as long as you do it properly. Lay the wrap out on the counter first, then the meat on top of it, and use the weight of the meat with the tension of the wrap to seal everything tightly. You want to do this once or twice in each direction, but it works a charm. I rely on it personally and professionally and I’ve never noticed a problem (but I’ve also never frozen anything longer than 3 or 4 months, so ymmv depending on your usage). The technique is called cater-wrapping, I’m sure there’s a YouTube or two on it.
As a note, the extra-wide extra-thick plastic wrap sold at the ‘co is perfect for this usage. As always, PBUC.

That's how I do! I like the Costco plastic wrap with the slide cutter especially for the lay down plastic and wrap technique.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Grand Fromage posted:

I lived in China for four years and I am one of the two people I know who likes (some) mooncakes. The other person is also American.

I studied Chinese in university, and first year the professor brought in moon cakes for cultural education. I didn't hate it but I found it unreasonably heavy for how much I (kind of?) liked it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

gently caress mooncakes. Leave them outside, the moon goddess can have'em all. Snow buns and custard pies are the desserts for the humans

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I’m Vietnamese American and like mooncakes, mostly for childhood nostalgia. I’ve never seen anyone eat a whole one, only quartering them and eating a quarter at a time. I’m pretty sure a whole mooncake is an entire day’s worth of eating :v:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah I got like 2 liters of GermX in May and it’s the same. It sucks compared to Purell.

Gojo has done a good job in protecting their brand integrity and the type of alcohol they use especially since you have a lot of new randos in the market trying to capitalize on the demand for sanitizer and how difficult it is to find the good quality alcohol that meet USP guidelines and has little to no odor.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Grand Fromage posted:

ya i like mung bean moon cakes they are pretty good im also an american

also some fancy chinese hotel's local specialty of some kind of bitter orange peel thing was legit good

do not like the egg yolk in any mooncake though no sir

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 15, 2020

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I'm Taiwanese American and haven't actually eaten a mooncake in probably close to two decades, despite getting them every year at family gatherings.

gently caress them things lol

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'll stick with moon pies.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gravitee posted:

I do the same thing, I bought two packs of three Prime steaks this week, split into two each and freeze them. We have them for Sunday dinner about once a month and it's spoiled me for any other store bought steak.

It becomes kind of a bummer when no restaurant steak for under $50 tastes as good as the $8 Costco steak you made at home.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I'm a huge fan of the Kirkland Carvery Hams. They're boneless, 3lb. hunks of ham that warm up in like 40 minutes. Glaze it if you want (or offer a nice sauce on the side), but they are fantastic plain. Effortless to carve, since they're so thin. You get these long, thin slices that are perfect for sandwiches later.

Tonight, I carved about half the ham, which is enough for a family of 3 for dinner, plus leftovers, plus the slices I will probably eat out of the fridge due to my crippling ham addiction. Gonna cube the other half for something soupy. I'm pretty sure I paid :10bux: for the thing. What a bargain!

The menu tonight: HAM, smashed red taters with sharp cheddar and super rustic mustard mixed in, peas. The plan was to have some brioche buns, but I think my yeast was on its last legs, the dough took *forever*. Oh well, cinnamon buns in the morning!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

GORDON posted:

It becomes kind of a bummer when no restaurant steak for under $50 tastes as good as the $8 Costco steak you made at home.

I refuse to get steak at restaurants anymore.

When I go out to eat, I make sure to order things I'm not going to bother cooking at home, or don't have the skill to do myself. I'm not convinced there's a steak in the world that'll ever be as good as anything I can make myself (barring something so pricey I wouldn't waste my money anyway)

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Enos Cabell posted:

I'll stick with moon pies.

:patriot:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Today I'm gonna try that Ducasse microwaved steak method mentioned earlier, will report back.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Renegret posted:

I refuse to get steak at restaurants anymore.

When I go out to eat, I make sure to order things I'm not going to bother cooking at home, or don't have the skill to do myself. I'm not convinced there's a steak in the world that'll ever be as good as anything I can make myself (barring something so pricey I wouldn't waste my money anyway)

Samey same. Unless it's a "high end" steakhouse that I hit once or twice a year, where the chef will throw out a steak if it isn't perfect (or save it until someone orders a well-done, ha ha ha ha), I never order steak in restaurants any more. I'd rather have a good $9 burger, than an ill-prepared, mediocre $18 steak.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

GORDON posted:

Samey same. Unless it's a "high end" steakhouse that I hit once or twice a year, where the chef will throw out a steak if it isn't perfect (or save it until someone orders a well-done, ha ha ha ha), I never order steak in restaurants any more. I'd rather have a good $9 burger, than an ill-prepared, mediocre $18 steak.

I'll still order the odd steak out an about. Our local bistro has bavette on the menu, and no one else around ever seems to have hangers.
9/10 times i'll get the moules frites though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Ravendas posted:

Nongshim Shin Black is a staple in my house. Usually pick it up by the case at a local asian market. It's so good.

I love Shin Black but I hate how expensive it is now. Will have to check my local asian markets to see if it's less than like $3/pack.